Photofax, Inc Employee Reviews

good large company with some weaknesses
Insurance Investigator (Current Employee) –  Hampshire, ILApril 20, 2017
I have worked for them for a while now and produced a lot of good work for them and making them some money over the years but they are lacking in compensation for their employees.
Solid private investigation firm
Private Investigator (Current Employee) –  Hampshire, ILAugust 27, 2016
PhotoFax, Inc is a good company to work for in order to learn the ropes of the private investigation field. Vans are provided to agents to complete surveillance duties. Hours can be excessive and abnormal, but obtaining quality results is rewarding.
Pros
compensation, management, vehicle and expenses covered
Cons
lots of travel, abnormal hours, limited advancement opportunities
October 17, 2016

Thanks for the feedback. Please contact your manager or myself about advancement opportunities, there may be more than you think.

Entry Level Investigator
Private Investigator (Former Employee) –  Hampshire, ILJanuary 18, 2016
Great company to get started with. Every person in management knew my name in a matter of weeks. Prepared me to become a police officer.
Pros
Company Vehicle
Cons
travel
March 30, 2016

Thanks! I am glad PhotoFax helped you achieve your goals and you had a positive experience!

Very competitive pay and very knowledgeable staff
Private Investigator (Former Employee) –  Philadelphia, PAApril 13, 2015
The hours are irregular, and the days are unpredictable but if you like to fly by the seat of your pants and you enjoy driving and following people, this job is for you.
Pros
Pay
Cons
Hours
Beware
Private Investigator (Former Employee) –  PennsylvaniaDecember 17, 2014
"Being a Private Investigator is a lifestyle" -my trainers

If your work for PhotoFax, be prepared to work 12+ hours per day and almost every weekend and holiday. Aside from the dangerous aggressive driving and placing myself in inherently unsafe situations, the job wasn't half bad. I was never home, the wife hated it, and for $17/hr, it just wasn't worth it. Hope this helps.
Pros
Good experience
Cons
Everything else
August 27, 2015

Workers' compensation fraud investigations take a large amount of dedication and commitment. PhotoFax prides itself on our customer service and our ability to fulfill our clients' needs with one of the best products available in terms of quality surveillance. This dedication often leads to sacrifices on the part of our investigators and at no time do we try to hide that fact during the recruiting or training process. All investigators are compensated for this dedication and we do not let it go unappreciated. If a candidate wants to learn to be the best investigator in a very competitive field, they will need to dedicate more time to this position then say a loss prevention or security job. This is a great experience that rewards with good compensation, performance based bonuses, and most importantly...experience!

September 1, 2015

Private investigations as a career is very demanding. It is a job that requires frequent travel, long hours, and an irregular schedule. PhotoFax is not any different from any other private detective agency in terms of these demands. At no point during our recruiting or training process do we try to hide or sugar coat this fact. We appreciate and respect the hard work our investigators and acknowledge their sacrifices as well as reward their efforts.

Great Company, Great Pay, Great Experience
Private Investigator (Current Employee) –  Philadelphia, PADecember 2, 2014
Been an investigator with PhotoFax since 2012. The hours are long, there are early mornings, and I do travel. However, that is what will happen at any PI company you work for.

Here is what happens at PhotoFax that does not happen at other companies:

They gave me a van and cameras, I do not have to use or lease my own.

I get full time work, even in the winter when it slows down everywhere else

I work with some of the best investigators a guy could ask to work with

The pay is great, I am able to accelerate the amount of time it takes me to pay off my student loans

I get guaranteed days off every month per my choice

I plan to use this experience to get on with a state police agency
Pros
Company vehicle, full time work in winter time, pay
Cons
none except the ones that come with the job, nothing with the company
Terrible place to work
Private Investigator (Former Employee) –  Hampshire, ILNovember 16, 2014
Worst job I've ever had. Pay is bad, and make you travel all over the country.
August 27, 2015

Most travel with PhotoFax is regional, however, there are times when investigators are asked to help in other parts of the country. Travel time is paid for and expenses are reimbursed weekly. Our pay is competitive and on the higher end when compared with other companies in this field. Please refer to other posts where the pay is mentioned as good.

September 1, 2015

PhotoFax has a competitive compensation package including a company provided vehicle and equipment. There is frequent travel required for this position and PhotoFax does inform all candidates of this during our recruiting and training process.

So far so good
Field Investigator (Current Employee) –  New JerseyOctober 14, 2014
I have been with this company for a few months and have had no issues. They supply the van and cameras. I get plenty of hours and when I have an issue they listen. The money is great and I love that it is something different every day!
Pros
company van, equipment, steady work schedule, no lay offs
Cons
some travel
Private Investigator
Private Investigator (Former Employee) –  Hampshire, ILSeptember 24, 2014
A typical day at work here consisted of me getting up around 4 a.m. getting into my van and traveling to surrounding states or areas. Sometimes cross country trips. The hardest part of the job was sitting in a van all day watching people, and not being able to go to the bathroom when you want to, so you have to be creative.
Pros
Flexible hours, and flexible pay
Cons
Cross country trips, long hours, front travel and company reimbursed, worked all weekends and holidays
If you have no commitments, this job is for you
Private Investigator (Current Employee) –  Hampshire, ILSeptember 18, 2014
Typically, if you enjoy waking up at 9 am one day and getting home at 8 pm to only wake up at 3 am the next day and never knowing when you'll have a day off, then apply here. If you need consistency in your life, this job is not for you. I definitely learned I need consistency and appreciate that they would attempt to do so, but it's hard when your out on the road for 7 days straight, living out of a suitcase with no days off. You are stuck in a van for 8-12 hours a day and get in trouble if you try to leave your spot to use a bathroom. Plus once you get home, you have to spend the next hour or two writing reports on your surveillance for the day. The company is really just a bunch of con artists, if you go on there website and look at what they're selling and then you go to work for them, everything is completely different. You don't get state-of-the art vans, there are no veteran field investigators. If you want to be a con-man/private investigator than this job is for you, but i'm not comfortable misrepresenting myself to figure out what the best time is to come back to perform surveillance on someone.
Pros
Pay
Cons
No breaks, no time to relax at home, always bringing work home, con artists
August 27, 2015

Please see the comment above in regards to the dedication needed for this job. PhotoFax does not misrepresent our product and what we provide. Also, a major part of any investigative work is obtaining information through the use of pretext. Pretext does call for an investigator to gain information without letting the source know that the person asking is an investigator, this would jeopardize the integrity of the case. Perhaps this candidate should consider a career outside of private investigations if they are not comfortable pretexting to obtain information that is useful for the case.

A great opportunity for building experience to further a career in law enforcement or security investigations.
Private Investigator (Former Employee) –  Houston, TXJuly 22, 2014
This job is definitely not for everyone and you should know that before going into the job. You will work long hours, you will frequently travel, you will work your tail off and work for every penny. Whether it be writing twenty page reports or taking your van in to get maintenance done, this job is very demanding. That being said, this job is great for building experience and getting your foot in the door especially if your right out of college and hoping to land a job in the field of law enforcement. I learned so many valuable skills that will help me in my next job. I learned how to write very detailed reports, I learned how to put myself in very awkward situations and excel under those conditions, and all the other facets that go along with being a PI. Although I worked independently most of the time, it was a nice change of pace when I was able to work with another investigator.
Pros
The pay is pretty good
Cons
Frequent travel, long hours, often work weekends, not much time to build a personal life
A lot of traveling
Private Investigative Detective (Former Employee) –  Hampshire, ILApril 17, 2014
A lot of traveling involved with the job. The pay is OK but wasn't worth the time I spent away from home
Good pay.
Private Investigator (Current Employee) –  Hampshire, ILApril 7, 2014
Good starting pay and annual pay raises. Work many hours and frequent road trips.
Okay Company
Private Investigator (Current Employee) –  PA, NJ,DE,MD,NYFebruary 27, 2014
Great Pay and company to work for. issues are always handled fast. you receive a company vehicle
Pros
Great Pay
Cons
No personal life.
Very flexible schedule
Company Driver (Former Employee) –  Hampshire, ILFebruary 13, 2014
I enjoyed working with this company. Very flexible hours making my work schedule at the time convenient
accounting manager
Accounting Manager (Former Employee) –  Gilberts, ILOctober 12, 2013
n Data Entry.n Accounts receivable and payable.n Handled customer complaint calls.n Managed investigators.n Processed Payroll.n Customer Service
lots of hours good money great experience
Investigator (Current Employee) –  East CoasetMay 23, 2013
im currently an investigator with this company and the hours are great i am making good money and do not need to worry about where my next meal is coming from they are also working on training me for claims management positions to get my career going in that field as well these guys really seem to care about me
Pros
good money, lots of work, experience is excellent
Cons
no social life; good pay
Private Investigator (Former Employee) –  Hampshire, ILMarch 4, 2013
to many hours, always away from home, always tired, never want to go out after work, never have enough days off. always working out of town, far travel
Been with alot of companies, this one i plan to stay with
Field Investigator (Current Employee) –  CaliforniaFebruary 11, 2013
i have worked for alot of companies and this is how surveillance should be done. you will encounter travelling and long hours with any company, however, this one compensates me fairly and treats me with respect. i plan to make a career here.
Pros
company gives vehicle, benefits, pay
Cons
nothing unusual for pi work
I was an intern now I have a full time job the I love!
Investigator (Current Employee) –  OHJanuary 11, 2013
Not sure if I even come close to agreeing with anything the December 5th post states!
Last Spring I worked as an intern for this company. First off, it was a PAID internship. Second, they actually held a position for me after I graduated this year. I have been a full time employee since May. Since I have been here I went on one road trip where I stayed in a Golf Resort hotel because the company set me up with a deal through Orbitz. It was the nicest hotel I ever stayed in my life. I have also seen two of my co-workers promoted to management. This has been a great opportunity for me and I this is good steady work in a shaky economy. No complaints here!
Pros
steady full-time work, understanding management, room to grow
Cons
alot of hours (but good pay!)

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Photofax, Inc. Our community is ready to answer.