Pick Up Stix Employee Reviews

Love this place
Shift Manager (Current Employee) –  Carlsbad, CAOctober 13, 2015
Love the coworkers here, they make work go by fast as they are always in a very positive, energetic mood. There are no early mornings or late nights here, and I love that.
A very loving and professional team-building restaurant that I'm honored to have worked for.
Cashier/Cook (Former Employee) –  Riverside, CASeptember 11, 2015
I learned how to greet a guest, how to guide them through a menu and suggest items based on their response, to open a brand new store and be one of the first employees to have ran it, to build with and become more family-orientated with the employed team, to have fun and recognize everyday guests with their personal name, to give a personal feel and experience to every customer that enters the restaurant, and also to know how to up-sell and obtain a professional idea within it.
Pros
free employee meal for 6+ hours worked over, benefits, sick leave
Cons
new hours/days every other week on the schedule, not consistent schedule
Productive work place with friendly customer service.
Team Member (Former Employee) –  Seal BeachAugust 18, 2015
A typical day at work was the same as any other take-out chain. Whenever a customer comes in, you must greet them with a smile. There were usually two FOH (front of the house) workers with about two cooks in the back. Often times, the shift leader would go to the back to work on other important tasks while the other is left alone doing everything else (ie taking orders, cleaning dining room, serving orders, etc). Because of this, it is definitely not an easy job at first. You must learn how to prioritize which task is most important, or it will be stressful! However, once prioritizing is understood, the tasks at hand come very easily. You must be quick and alert of things that need to be restocked, wiped down, etc. You do not get free meals unless you are working over a six hour shift. Aside from that, it is a very friendly work environment, and I loved my coworkers. I overall loved working here.
Pros
friendly coworkers, easy to learn
Cons
stressful
fun
Cook/Cashier (Former Employee) –  Seal Beach, CAAugust 11, 2015
Fast past job. Good place to work at. Everyone their was nice management care a lot about their workers. Their was always a way to move up the latter if you wanted the opportunity.
Strong Guest experience oriented
General Manager/ Assistant Manager (Current Employee) –  Upland, CAAugust 3, 2015
They really push on taking care of the guest and making sure they tell their friends and family. Learned a lot about hospitality and how to handle the difficult guests. The down fall to me is they go by numbers too much and not on how the guests truly like the place and crew.
Pros
Free lunches, direct deposit
Cons
management goes by numbers too much.
Productive place
Cashier/Customer Service (Former Employee) –  Oceanside, CAJune 8, 2015
My day started off with cleaning the store and preparing salads. Afterwards, I would handle the cash register or sometimes pack food. The co-workers here were really friendly and open.
Pros
free lunches
Cons
short breaks
Good work enviorment, Fast paced, flexible hours.
Server (Former Employee) –  Palmdale, CAJune 1, 2015
I worked here for about a year and a half as a Cashier/Server. Good flexible hours if your a student or working elsewhere. Management at my location was awesome, always got along with my coworkers, everyone was always team players, and everyone was always helpful. The only thing that really was the worst part of the job is that we do the same work as "servers" but no tips and for minimum wage and no raises.. I had atleast 100 people try and add a tip on from their card purchase but we don't "have that option" so that would have been nice. :/ Other than that no complaints! This was a good job to have when I was a student in medical college & I will miss it here.
Pros
Half off lunches, flexible work schedule, friendly enviorment, amazing management.
Cons
No raises, no tips.
Fast paced environment
Shift Leader (Former Employee) –  Seal Beach, CAJune 1, 2015
Typical day at work was spent making sure customers were happy, employees were completing tasks, food was kept up to health standards, and everything was kept clean. Management worked hard and were nice enough. I enjoyed the fast paced environment, but it was not what I wanted to do long term.
Pros
Fairly easy job and there was always something to do
Cons
Low pay (To be expected)
Great first job opportunity
Shift Leader (Former Employee) –  Riverside, CAMarch 25, 2015
Great establishment that offers great opportunities and is flexible with school schedules. Great people and great food!
fun place to work
Assistant Manager (Former Employee) –  West Covina, CAMarch 12, 2015
good experience. as a mangement learn alot. new menus, new type of service. learn how to cook asian food wich was fun. met a lot of new co workers
Pros
new experience
Cons
few hours
horrible place to work
Delivery Driver / Cashier (Former Employee) –  huntington beach, CANovember 6, 2014
The upper management will abuse you, along with not listening to your needs on your schedule. If you are unable to work at a certain day or time and are not a shift lead they will still schedule you and after having your shift covered 3 times they will fire you for not working scheduled days. If you think about having any sort of food in the front before opening or after closing management will fire you. If you are looking for a temp part-time job then this is perfect for you, but if you are not then please do not waste your time applying for them. I am a former employee and got fired for these reasons.
Very time consuming, lousy pay
General Manager (Former Employee) –  San Diego, CAOctober 22, 2014
If you would like to spend all of your time on this earth working and commuting to and from work, by all means, this is the company for you. As a General Manager for this company for 4 years, I have gone through over half a dozen transfers. the average commute time over this period was 90 min one way. Which might not sound too bad, however when you are passing 4 or 5 other store locations on your way to work it can be quite irritating. The truth is that the managers that are running those stores have the same commute coming from the other direction. Managers are expected to work 50 hours a week. Which causes them to have to take on the roll of cashier, food runner, food packer, prep cook, line cook, food coordinator, and dishwasher. And this is on top of all of the other managerial duties required to run a successful restaurant. There have been many days where I was one of two people staffed in the entire restaurant for up to 4 or 5 hours, without the ability to step out for a break. All of this is necessary to meet the obscene labor goals set by corporate management. Overall, if you like to be a one-man-show, and work every waking hour of your life, in a high stress environment, then this just might be the place for you. But don't expect to get paid very much for what you do. Out of the dozen hats you'll be wearing while working for this company, you'd be luck if you got paid for wearing just one.
Pros
1 free lunch a day
Cons
over-worked, under appreciated, unrealistic goals, poor staffing allowances
plenty of room to grow
Restaurant Manager (Current Employee) –  Huntington Beach, CASeptember 2, 2014
worked with this company for a year. and was allowed to move up the ranks really fast. just had to work hard and put in the effort.
Enjoyable fun workplace
Cashier (Former Employee) –  Upland, CAAugust 1, 2014
A typical day of work at Pick up Stix consists of a lot of down time.
We were mostly only busy around lunch time and dinner time which made it much more enjoyable being in a fast paced environment, and working as a team with your co workers to get orders out fast to the hungry costumers!
The hardest part of my job at Pick up Stix would have to be that when you do get a rush, you are only working with one other person. So you have to make sure everything is getting done such as taking orders, bagging up the food, and making sure you're keeping the work environment clean.
I would have to say that the most enjoyable part of my job would have to be my friendly co workers!
Pros
50 % discount, open welcoming evironment, my co workers
Cons
cut hours
good first job
Cashier (Former Employee) –  Newport Beach, CAJune 30, 2014
I learned how to work with demanding customers and work under pressure. Management was flexible and understanding. Coworkers we not ideal, but that also gave me an opportunity to learn how to work with different kinds of people.
Food service industry
Food Runner, Cashier, Kitchen Helper (Former Employee) –  San Jose, CAJune 7, 2014
Typical food service company. Decent managers. Mostly friendly co-workers. Funnest part was talking with customers and co-workers alike.
Pros
employee discount
Cons
hours
Great communication and team effort.
Shift Leader (Current Employee) –  Escondido, CAFebruary 24, 2014
Working with my coworkes is always fun, we try and make sure everybody is having a good time. If somebody is in a bad mood we try and help them be in a better mood. Talking to each customers and learning their names so next time they come in we call them by their names so they know that we care about their visit. Sometimes it does get busy and gets a little stressfull but we work it out at the end. Management is really good we communicate with each other and work as a time to make the store a fun environment.
Pros
free lunches
Cons
part time job.
I love this place
FOH/CSR (Former Employee) –  Las Vegas, NVSeptember 28, 2013
I loved working with the managers, co-workers, everything.
the food was great, was in a great location. everything. I'm just sad it closed down.
Pros
everything
Cons
it closed down
great for multi tasking
Cashier/Server (Former Employee) –  Vista, CAJuly 31, 2013
wonderful enviornment that constantly changes. From serving to cashiering to handling food. great customer interaction. fast paced, yet easy going
Pros
customer interaction, easy going
Cons
compensation
Fun place to work
Shift Lead (Former Employee) –  Mission Viejo, CAJune 11, 2013
Pick Up Stix was a fun, though sometimes stressful place to work, but what restaurant isn't stressful at times? I started working at Pick Up Stick when I was 16 and had to end my time with the company due to moving. I learned a lot about how to manage a store effectively and provide quality customer service through out my 3 years there. With the proper training and my desire to advance, I was promoted quickly. I enjoyed my entire experience there, from the mundane tasks of stocking cups to the interactions with the customers.
Pros
free lunches, presonable, quality service, opportunities to advance, fun