Picture People Employee Reviews in United States

Productive and fun environment for children and families
Excellent customer service (Current Employee) –  Brea, CAMay 26, 2016
Working there is fun. It's exciting and entertaining to photograph children and families. I learned excellent customer service skills. My co-workers are fun, they work as a team to help keep the store running stable. The hardest part of the job is trying to keep children entertained; if a child is upset or just waking up from a nap, it is very challenging trying to make them laugh. The most enjoyable part of the job is giving and helping a family and children make memorizing memories.
Pros
job advancement
Cons
no benefits for part-time employees
Productive and fun
Secretary (Former Employee) –  Redondo Beach, CAMay 24, 2016
Begin by confirming appointments to customers. After I confirmed appointments, I answered phone calls. Then I would file papers away and help the photography with any assistance he needed.
Pros
fun and exciting environment
needs help
Assistant Manager (Former Employee) –  Littleton, COMay 14, 2016
the managers need to understand how to train people better for the tasks at hand, while also the district manager needs to set standers for all the stores on putting the customer first and not to schedule multiple people at the same time. If a person has a question all employees should be able to answer them without their store manager. Plus if a store isnt making enough money, they shouldnt hire a person with them having the expectation of have this job long term. This job is all around bad business and i would never go back.
Pros
promotions are always available, pay
Cons
management, training, communication, business, just all around bad
Very fun place to work at
Assistant Store Manager (Former Employee) –  Concord, CAApril 12, 2016
You build relationships with families which is great. Not your typical job because not one day is the same as the last or the next because every family or individual of that your taking a picture of is different. The hardest part about the job was the pay because it simply was just not enough but you come in with that knowledge and expectation.
Pros
Very fun job
Cons
Very low pay
Artistic Place to work
Photographer, Assistant Manager (Former Employee) –  Pittsburgh, PAApril 9, 2016
Very fast flow during the holiday but off season it's very slow which leads to hours being cut. You definitely learn basics to posing your subjects and how to work with studio lighting which is beneficial to a photographer. Management is very helpful and flexible with your schedule and the employees are also very nice. Very drama free. The hardest part of the job is during the holiday. If enough staff isn't hired, it becomes very overwhelming for the short staff there and that can be hard to get breaks. Overall the best part if feeling like you're working with a big family and making the customers happy.
Pros
Good experience, fun team, busy during holiday season
Cons
Rare break during holiday, single coverage off season
Fun workplace to take pictures
Photographer/Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  White Marsh, MDApril 6, 2016
I learned how to take pictures with different angles and filters.The hardest part was taking picture of a big family and trying to fit everybody in the photo.
Overworked and under managed
Photographer/ sales associate (Former Employee) –  San Jose, CAApril 3, 2016
A typical day at Picture People includes taking pictures of families, couples, kids, and occasionally pets. As well as selling yours and other photographer's photos.
I learned a lot about posing, camera equipment, lighting, and selling tips. The management unfortunately were not always helpful and often asked for people to stay longer than their shifts which included staying off the clock until needed. The co-workers were great and almost everyone had an interest in photography which made the job fun. I love taking portraits so of course that was the best part of the job.
Pros
Taking pictures
Cons
Por management
Awesome!
Sales Associate/Photographer (Current Employee) –  San Antonio, TXMarch 12, 2016
I love this job! The management is awesome, and so are my co workers. Everyone know's how to do their part and everything falls in place because of it,
Innovative Portrait company
Technical Support Specialist/Manager (Former Employee) –  Richardson, TXMarch 9, 2016
One of the first to offer on site photo printing and using the latest technology. Well trained staff, appealing studio environment.
Good Place to work
Senior Assistant Manager (Former Employee) –  White Marsh, MDFebruary 5, 2016
Works great with hours and time off needed. Open concept sales area. Personable. Products printed same day for customers
Pros
Work with kids, provide finished product at time of sale
Cons
expected too much of employees
Never Again
Performer (Former Employee) –  North Wales, PAFebruary 2, 2016
The management was just terrible, They didn't care about anyone but themselves. I would go above and beyond for them. I even got several shot outs from HR from customers. Yet they let me go and told me I was just seasonal and they couldn't keep me. However I went back a few days later to pick something up and a new guy was there. I felt lied to and betrayed. & let me tell you they HATE paying over time so they would rather do poorly then have good workers in working on over time. Priorities, They just weren't there.
Pros
50% Discount
Fast Pace
sales advisor (Current Employee) –  Modesto, CAJanuary 12, 2016
A typical day at work is always busy during the holidays. Everyone is always stressed and wanting to get work done. The managers were ok not always the happiest. Some co-workers were pretty nice depended on the mood they were in. The most enjoyable was seeing the families satisfied with their portraits and seeing smiles on their faces.
Pros
Lots of laughs
Cons
part time workers didnt get the insurance or paid maternity leave
Busy but Fun
Photographer (Former Employee) –  Leander, TXJanuary 6, 2016
You did a little bit of everything there. I started as the front desk employee, then moved to showing and selling packages to families, after that I became a full time photographer, which involved setting your room, using props, posing clients, sometimes editing your photos, cleaning your rooms, and closing. Picture People made me realize that you can do anything you want, practice makes perfect and fake it till you make it. My management was awesome for the most part, everyone has their days. My co-workers were awesome and helpful, everyone always looked out for one another. The best part of my job was the requests, it makes you feel so good when someone likes your work so much the request you. Worst part of the job is each session is timed and as soon as that appointment is over you have another. Very stressful and always busy. All and all it was a great job.
Pros
Clients
Cons
Pay
Fast-paced, rewarding work envoronment
assistant manager (Former Employee) –  San Jose, CAJanuary 5, 2016
The Picture People was by far one of my favorite places to work.
The management was always changing when I had first started, so I wanted to take the opportunity to push myself and step up to the plate and become a manager myself so that the employees have someone steady to look up to. They deserved it. It took a long time to get to my assistant manager position, but my efforts were never unnoticed. I was well established with my managers, the employees, as well as my clientele. We promoted a healthy working environment to where everyone could have fun, be professional and work in an urgency. This position taught me a lot more about customer service than I had come in with, as well as teaching me how to prioritize and lead a team. I will always cherish the experience and will take what I have learned from there to prosper another establishment.
Pros
Great employees, fun envoronment, connecting with children and parents, creating memories
Cons
Rude customers, energy draining
Productive and Fun Place
Sales Associate (Current Employee) –  Las Vegas, NVDecember 31, 2015
I've learned a lot from Picture People over the short amount of time being with them. I enjoy coming into work on a daily basis and seeing my crew. My management crew is awesome, always willing to help others when needed and making sure every customer leaves with a great experience. The most enjoyable part of the job is seeing how happy people are with how there pictures have turned out and wanting to come back for more because there experience was so enjoyable.
Great job
Inside Sale Associate (Current Employee) –  Lancaster, PADecember 14, 2015
• Directs customer experience efforts to ensure consistency with Picture People standards.
• Participates in creation of exceptional studio photography.
• Ensures attainment of personal sales and sittings goals.
• Work with and support management in day to day operations of studio.
Good company
Retail Store Manager (Former Employee) –  Freehold, NJDecember 9, 2015
It's been over 15 years since I've worked there, but what I can say is that they were a good company to work for. We photographed kids and families and developed film (yes film!) on site and printed photos on site as well. Every day was busy, fun and challenging depending on cooperation of the photo subjects.
Fun work space with friendly co-workers
Assistant manager (Current Employee) –  Tukwila, WADecember 8, 2015
very fast paced
how to keep calm in
Management is good
very funny and friendly co-workers
not getting enough pay
Taking pictures of families
Pros
50% off photos
Cons
not enough hours or pay
My favorite job, by far until I learned the in and outs of the business.
Assistant Manager (Former Employee) –  Woodbridge, NJDecember 7, 2015
I thoroughly enjoyed most of my time as a Picture People employee. It's been just about 5 months since I worked there last and I have to admit: to some degree I DO actually miss it. Early on during my time there, I was lucky. I scored a solid management team who as a whole were head strong and goal oriented but also friendly and encouraging. Soon, due to everyone's own personal issues the management team was broken up and we were left with only one, albeit strong member of that team. During this run, I felt empowered, encouraged and everyday was a learning experience. It was the most enriching experiences I have ever had with ANY manager at ANY job. I was learning fast and soon promoted and I felt like I was a successful and valued employee. Holiday season fast approached and that's usually where we weed out the weak links. Holiday season is not for the weak. Expect to be working EVERY weekend, ALL day and 90% of the week as well. You will have ZERO personal time for home life and family. It's not just long hours, you WILL be inundated with sessions that you are expected to take every 15 minutes with almost no breaks. If you're lucky and skilled in multiple areas, you'll have a management team who knows how exhausting that can be and will rotate the staff around so you're not doing the same thing non stop at high speed for 12 hours. Any way, I was able to survive that and maintain the opinion that it was a wonderful place to work. Until the management switch. From there I realized my first 8 months at Picture People had been a fluke. We got a whole new manager who was verbally  more... abusive to employees and limited their advancement. We were treated as if we were expendable and instead of constructive coaching we were bashed and threatened. I thought maybe this was an anomaly but even months after that, when we received coverage from other studios and locations, this was the general attitude. There were very few decent people in the company. Still I kept with it and managed to fight my way through and advance to the assistant position, but I was still treated poorly. Keep in mind business goes from one extreme to another. Holiday season is worse than retail with long miserable hours and no breaks or personal time but off season, your shifts WILL be cut CONSTANTLY. Also as you advance and you learn how business is conducted and customer service is handled, it will become increasingly difficult to maintain a positive opinion of the company. Overall, I loved this job and loved the experience but like I said, I was lucky enough to have decent people willing to teach and willing to encourage in the beginning. Once I lost that support, it made it difficult to stay and I found my self slowly deteriorating.  less
Cons
Poor employee turnover rate, MOST (not all) management do not care, poor advancement opportunities
Great Company to work for
Studio Manager (Former Employee) –  Greenville, SCNovember 30, 2015
Great Company with very good photography and sales plans.
Retail photography at its best.
Printing portraits on site.