Pierce County Library Employee Reviews in United States

Bad place
Page (Former Employee) –  Fife, Gig Harbor WAAugust 27, 2015
Worked for the library system for about 3 years -- they were never supportive, claim to have a raise system in play that I never experienced. Most coworkers were flakes constantly calling in. The supervisors I had in Gig Harbor and Fife would smother you when they had an issue and ignore you when you had one. One of those places that play-acts real hard at being a 'family' but isn't there for you at all. Should focus some of that energy on making the workplace tolerable. Every other library I've worked for has been a perfect work environment, maybe it's because I'm not an elderly female that they chose to ice me out.
Positive environment
Technology Help Desk (Current Employee) –  Lakewood, WAJune 28, 2016
I really enjoy working with Lakewood library customers and employees. I also enjoy the quiet environment. This has been a great experience for me.
Terrific library system for patrons, but poor management practices
PAC Staff (Former Employee) –  PAC main branch ParklandJanuary 2, 2014
This is one of the best library systems in NW with incredible collection and services for patrons. But it is poorly managed and plaque with layers upon layers of internal politics, never ending re organizations, top heavy with managers and in fighting of a burdening dinosaur state agency. Long time and dedicated staff can be cut on stroke of the hour with ridiculous accusations and reasoning shown by 2009 mass staff reduction loosely based on budget cuts. But then rehired new replacement staff shortly afterwards. The work and social cultures are single minded trickled down from six senior managers and must comply to achieve tenure and job security. It is progressive in services to patrons but not to its dedicated staff.
Pros
great collection, patron services, benefits and hours
Cons
not progressive at all, poorly managed, poor staff treatment, layers of internal politics, power struggles, and in fighting
No good
SBE (Former Employee) –  Pierce CountyAugust 28, 2015
One of those smothering places where they claim to be a 'family' and to really care, then when you need their support or any sort of backing, they aren't there.
Very fun loving, employees easy to get along with
Volunteer (Former Employee) –  Tacoma, WAJune 6, 2014
I would get there about 9:00 am and my supervisor would tell me would she needed done and I would get to work and get it done. When I was done with that job I would ask if there was anything else she needed done and she would tell me what she needed and I would get it done. If not then I would go to the Marketing and Communications Department and see if they needed me to do anything. I enjoyed the fun the we all had when I was working there.
Pros
learning about the library experience
Cons
not being paid but i enjoyed it.

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Pierce County Library. Our community is ready to answer.

Pierce County Library Reviews by Job Title