Pilkington North America Employee Reviews

Good as a stopping point but not a career
Engineer (Former Employee) –  Ottawa, ILSeptember 21, 2016
Call ins at all hours of the day and night. Dirty and old facility. No chance for advancement. A good place to get a start and move on. If you are part of the management clique, you have it made. There is a lot of favoritism and nepotism. Salaried persons are required to work a minimum of a 45 hour work week.
Pros
Mediocre benefits
Cons
Long hours and high turnover
Teamleading factory work
Team Leader (Former Employee) –  Rossford, OHJune 6, 2016
Worked daily on producing and managing parts put out through documentation and communication with other team leaders or hire up managers. I trained others on safety and how to produce parts on my line where necessary. The job is very physically demanding and safety is a must when working this line of work. I learned how to be a great leader and take control of a specific part of the an entire process.
Pros
Added to my Leadership skills
Cons
Management did not communicate well with leaders to be able to put out fantastic product
productive
Senior Driver (Current Employee) –  Cincinnati, OHAugust 8, 2016
Fast paced
people skills ,time management

supportive
good
time management
seeing 100% at the end of the day

put all routes in order make sure all drivers have correct parts on the trucks correct any mistakes and pull the correct parts,adjust inventory
Pros
people
Cons
warehouse order
good management but low pay
Assembly Line Worker (Current Employee) –  Lexington, KYJuly 13, 2016
management is very good . get along great with co workers. have group meeting and talk about saftey then go to work.how to put seal on auto glass. the heat is the hardest part of the job.the most enjoyable is good management and good co workers
Pros
good to employees
Cons
low pay
Relativly hard work with low pay (position pending)
Warehouse Manager/Service Center Lead (Former Employee) –  Flagstaff, AZMarch 23, 2016
Warehouse positions do a lot of heavy lifting and walking around with heavy awkward objects (large windshields). Drivers have it a bit easier but often work odd hours and drive many miles. The safety regulations and company policies are really absurd at times. Advancement is often limited due to location size. Not a terrible company, it worked for a good while, but I was not satisfied with my experience.
Pros
Cant think of any
Cons
Too many
A good paying job that pays the bills.
Furnace Specialists (Current Employee) –  Shelbyville, INJuly 11, 2016
The overall facility need to improve for the company to stay open. This facility has alot safety issues that need to be addressed. They make glass it's a tough product to make.
Pros
good pay
Cons
rought work
Flexiably scjeduling, Polite & Hard working Co-workers
Warehouse laborer/Forklift Op./Delivery/CSR-CSA (Current Employee) –  Sacramento, CAApril 11, 2016
A typical day of work consists of delivery driving, both local and as far as out of state. A more than fair amount of computer work which includes consolidating customer invoices and account balances (typical accounting work). General warehouse work such as cycle counts, maintaining proper inventory, and plenty of physical labor. management does things right, however true leaders do the right thing. Unfortunately I have seen a fair numbers of co-workers come and go mainly due to the fact that this type of work requires you to be on time and willing to help out in multiple ares when needed. However the individuals i have met that do come and go have been very pleasant and easy to work with. One of the more difficult aspects is keeping up with the amount diverse work due to a current under staffing of our facility. Most of all I have enjoyed the flexibility aspects of our center.
Pros
flexiabilty
Cons
under staffed
Stay Away @ all Cost
Driver (Former Employee) –  Charleston, SCFebruary 21, 2016
This is not a good company to work for. They won't pay you anything and your just a number. You will constantly be in fear of losing your job. Management sucks! Be warned.
Pros
Cons
You'll get fired on the drop of a dime
Fast paced call center
Call Ceter Customer Service Rep. (Former Employee) –  Mira Loma, CADecember 26, 2015
High volume of calls ranging from order placing to checking customer accounts and or status on Back orders. Handled high volume phones and Will Call accounts.
Pros
Challenged daily with customers
Cons
Warehouse closed down
Enjoyable but hard work.
Print Utility (Former Employee) –  Shelbyville, INNovember 5, 2015
Pilkington is a place many people for a first job should take. Advancement is real easy once you get hired on. The people are friendly and some of the management need to be fired.
Pros
Benefits, Good people, Good Money, Union
Cons
Long hours, Not much time with Family, Hot Summers
Best company I have ever worked for- very upward feeling when working there
Senior Sales Manager for Pilkington (Former Employee) –  Columbus, OHSeptember 23, 2015
Best company I have ever worked for. They hold themselves to a much higher standard than is required but because of this they delivery exceptional product
Pros
Benefits- work environment-coworkers
Cons
Fiscal budgetary constraints that unfortunately effect good people.
Management lost all backbone
My job! (Current Employee) –  Rossford, OHAugust 30, 2015
This place was a great place to work for years, until recently, I DO NOT blame NSG having taken over. I blame the ENTIRE world!! In the last few years the people coming in are always upset that they actually have to work, they believe they should be paid for just showing up!! Not all the people are like this just a lot!! And management does nothing to discourage it!!! IF that had been me over the years I wouldn't be writing this review!! To me it feels like management is encouraging this, Management feeds into the sense of entitlement!!
Pros
Its a job!!
Cons
Most people don't have to do anything!
Was a great place to work
Quality Ambassador (Former Employee) –  Toledo, OHDecember 10, 2015
Worked with many great people and learned a lot the quality systems and their effectiveness. It was a shame the economy had an effect on the outcome of my employment
Terrible working conditions
machine operator (Former Employee) –  Georgetown, KYNovember 25, 2015
Had a constant rotation of new employees. People never stayed long enough to really learn their position due to the conditions.
Pros
Reliable work
Cons
Terrible conditions
great work, and extremely safe.
production back up (Former Employee) –  Niles, MINovember 18, 2015
awesome environment, and wonderful people to work with. the job at hand is easy and calm.
The only issue was the management and how they treat their employers.
No interest in your outside life.
Development and Tech Support (Former Employee) –  Shelbyville, INOctober 22, 2015
I worked there for 15 years. This is a union facility and workers are not easily motivated. Salary personnel are required to work more than 40mhours without compensation.
management and employees have a great comunication system
Machine Operator (Former Employee) –  Niles, MIMay 29, 2015
I worked as a floater in the factory and was allowed to learn over 60 different positions,after being in that position for several years and assisting so many others that my talents allowed for me to fill in the group leader positions in many areas,also the 45 days paid vacation a year was a very big plus.Our medical was of the finest I've ever been offered at a great savings.The management went out of their way to make our work environment clean,fun,and very eficient
Pros
great pay, lots of vacation time, great insurance, great people
Cons
having to repaint floors every year, heat from the ovens
Productive and hot
Shelbyville - Contractor (Former Employee) –  Shelbyville, IndianaOctober 18, 2015
Working 3rds would be slow and less productive. No one took safety precautions well. All workers were not helpful unless told
Great Place to work
Operations Manager (Current Employee) –  Kent, WAAugust 6, 2015
I made the switch to Pilkington seeking better work life balance for my son and I. Pilkington afforded me the new opportunity I was looking for.
Production
Operator (Former Employee) –  IllinoisSeptember 15, 2014
Honestly working in the Ottawa plant was a waste of my 20's. They will fire you for anything and then they will have people fail drug tests and let them come back to work. Management was the worst part. Other union workers are great people. Do not trust your HR leaders. I was harrassed and had to file a suit. Very unorganized. Bosses have been known to break things and throw temper tantrums when they don't like what they see.
Pros
good pay
Cons
management management management

2.8