Pilkington North America

Pilkington North America United States Employee Reviews

Comfortable break area with TV evenly spaced breaks.
Fork Lift Operator (Former Employee), Shelbyville, INDecember 9, 2014
Pros: work schedule allows you to have every other weekend off.
Cons: very hot work area, mandatory overtime on occasion
Hard work but you are getting paid good money. However it is very hot on occasion must keep yourself hydrated. Overall good job if you are in the right mindset.
Able to go to difrent staping ptlants
Quality Control Rep (Former Employee), Romuius MINovember 11, 2014
Watching over of quality of product .Learned how the Big 3 automotive process worked.
The years between 1997 and 2003 were great until NSG took over
Production associate (Former Employee), Niles, MIOctober 30, 2014
Pros: a place to work
Cons: bad/mis management=low moral
I loved going to work everyday, some days were 12 hours long and some weeks were 7 days, but I still loved to go in for work. The people were great: management listened to us hourly people and met us with compromises. The benefits were great as well. After NSG took over I began to dread going into work because it was no longer a "fun" place to work, we no longer got to listen to the music we liked the company pumped in music throughout and they began a "I am telling on you atmosphere" where they were more worried about who was doing what than they were about the quality of the product. It's now a dark, depressing and full of stress atmosphere. If questions were asked about "why are you/we doing this?' we were either written up or terminated. We went from an extremely low turnover company to a- we can't keep anyone here to work company. That says a lot about the company's management. We were a highly respected company now we are the company of last resort for work. It's just sooo sad.
Production
Operator (Former Employee), IllinoisSeptember 15, 2014
Pros: good pay
Cons: management management management
Honestly working in the Ottawa plant was a waste of my 20's. They will fire you for anything and then they will have people fail drug tests and let them come back to work. Management was the worst part. Other union workers are great people. Do not trust your HR leaders. I was harrassed and had to file a suit. Very unorganized. Bosses have been known to break things and throw temper tantrums when they don't like what they see.
glass production company
Machine Operator (Former Employee), Lathrop, CAJune 26, 2014
Pros: our paid lunch time and long breaks
Cons: the heat of a glass plant
ran machines that packed glass four machines at one time which was challenging and sometimes dangerous but they do teach you to ALWAYS follow safety procedures but on those days when things didn't go to well, you could count on your fellow co-workers to help out and on days when things where more then you could handle, there was always a foreman to come to the rescue. the hardest part of my job was when we were sent to shovel up glass because it was hot and heavy work but the best part of my job was seeing how my fellow co-workers and I could work so well together to accomplish our job so that no one worked harder than the other
Great job
Delivery Driver / Warehouse duties (Current Employee), El Paso, TXMarch 30, 2014
Pros: great work enviroment, pay decent great management
Job is very easy and team work is always in play, Have no complaints can say about this job
Great people
shipping/ receiving (Current Employee), Lathrop, CAFebruary 27, 2014
Pros: great pay, good breaks
Cons: closing the doors
Managers and union work together..everyone is treated equally...Most of us followed our family into the company and sad to see doors closing...There was no hard work and I enjoyed working with great people..wouldn't change the last 16 years...learned a lot of different jobs in different areas..
Fast paced and hectic environment
Lead person (Former Employee), Pasco, WA.January 20, 2014
A typical day at work was busy and hectic, I liked that. Learned how to operate forklifts and order pickers. How to interact with customers. Too much interference from upper management. Enjoyed my co-workers. Hardest part was keeping my head above water with a constantly understaffed crew. Most enjoyed the fast pace, time went quick.
Plant is closing
Warehouse worker (Current Employee), Lathrop, CADecember 27, 2013
Pros: good pay. 3 breaks per shift.
Cons: closing its doors
Was a great job. Co-workers are like family. Too bad we are closing down :(

California air standards are forcing Lathrop to either invest $10 million for pollution controls or close down. 100+ workers are losing their jobs. Way to go California!!!

Plus, NSG needs to sell Lathrop to help pay for their massive $200 million fines for price fixing in Europe.
Productive and fun workplace
Customer Service Representative (Current Employee), Baton Rouge, LADecember 2, 2013
I specifically love the people here at Pilkington; they make the hard days worth it! Also, working for a major competitor in the glass industry is great. I've enjoyed growing as an employee in a business with such a great reputation..
Daily procedures with customer service
Customer Service/Warehouse (Former Employee), Richardson, TXNovember 9, 2013
Pros: friendly customers - no micromanagers
Cons: lack of in house management or resources
Providing customer with needs
. Stocking warehouse
. Filing invoices & reports daily
. Opening & Closing offic
Nice Company
Assembler/Material Handler/Team Lead (Former Employee), Rossford, OHNovember 7, 2013
Pros: great benefit and 401k package
Cons: too unsteady with work within the year
This company is good to work for if you are not fully reliant on the hours worked. They have good seasons of business and then they seasons where you are laid off.
Loved my customer that is what made my job great.
Customer Service / Account Representive (Former Employee), Farmingdale, NYSeptember 10, 2013
Pros: incentives and great people you got to work with.
Cons: no job advancement or regular pay raises.
I did customer service, I took orders via the phone and customer's coming in.

I did billing, data entry, accounts receivable, accounts payable and once a month inventory.

My co-workers were great to work with we all worked together as a team and got our jobs done.

The best part of my jobs were my customers, I always enjoyed speaking with them on a daily basis and seeing them also.
Great Job and Great Enviroment
Warehouse Supervisor (Former Employee), Smyrna, GAJuly 1, 2013
A day could consist of many things ranging from pulling orders to be shipped out all the way to Talking with customers about their account. I learned to be very understanding and also to be firm when necessary.
Great employees, poor management
Team Coordinator (Former Employee), Shelbyville, INMay 27, 2013
Pros: many days off with the rotating 12 hour shift, 24 hour continuous operation.
Cons: extremely unorganized
Everyday is a cluster _#*^?. Very poor scheduling. Old machinery, attempting state-of-the-art technology. Difficult to get things repaired. Technical spots filled by senority, not skill. Awesome co-workers!
Not much for following SOP
Driver/Warehouse (Former Employee), Chattanooga, TNMay 15, 2013
Pros: 40 hours a week
Cons: management seemed shady.
I made a mistake with the safety rules, I did not get hurt and nobody else did either. Instead of talking to me at the time of the mistake, I get to work in the morning, and I was already reported to HR. Usually most places would take the 3 strikes your out approach, not PILKINGTON. I work all day long worried about wether I still have a job or not, well long story short, instead of handling the situation in house and do verbal or written counseling, I get to work today and I was not even allowed to clock in. Get in the office, and the boss said where is your key, and sent me on my way. Shady management if you ask me, and the work/home was not too bad, the pay could have been better, and I also saw no way to advance in this company.
Very good Atmosphere
CSR (Current Employee), Phoenix, AZMarch 14, 2013
Pros: easy and routine things to do.
Cons: low rate pay to start.
This is a good place to work, the company has good benefits and culture is great, I recomment this company as enjoyable place to work.
Productive company with hardworking, friendly people.
Production Worker (Former Employee), Lathrop, CAFebruary 10, 2013
I would show up early and socialize with fellow co workers. I learned alot of things on a daily basis working with different individuals often. Everyone was willing to show you how to do the job more efficiently. The most enjoyable part of the job was being surrounded by friendly, hardworking people.
A great, great company that cares about its employees and really promotes a safe work atmosphere.
Operations Supervisor (Current Employee), Austin, TXFebruary 4, 2013
Pilkington is a great company to work for! This company has tuition reimbursement, a great 401K package, minimal travel, and sells a great OEM quality product. Although, the pros definitely outweigh the cons at Pilkington, I have decided to search for a career based out of San Antonio, Texas. There are plenty of opportunities to move around within Pilkington, around not only the nation, but the globe! However; I have reached my absolute potential within the Texas region with Pilkington, a career advancement for me at this point would mean leaving the state (which I am not at a point where I am ready nor able to do so at the moment). Please feel free to call, email or message me if you have any questions!

- Isaak
Glass manufacturer
Bath/Lehr Operator (Former Employee), Rossford ohioFebruary 1, 2013
Pros: excellent benefits, union shop
Cons: rotating swing shift
Worked 7 years at this employer. Good benefits and wages, but the shift schedule is horrible. Their is no balance between home and work, there is only work.

Pilkington North America Salaries