Pilot Flying J

Pilot Flying J Employee Reviews

Customer service
General Manager (Current Employee), Lebanon, TNJune 27, 2015
Every day standards from outside to inside have to be pristine. In order for this to happen everyone has to be in their respective position to make sure customer service is flawless.
The hardest part of the job is keeping store clean on every shift. With the traffic inside and out, it is always a challenge. The most enjoyable part is connecting to different people everyday from all over the country.
Fun place to work
Assistant Manager (Former Employee), Newburgh, NYJune 26, 2015
Pros: Fast Paced, Customer Service based job
The General Manager along with the employees were very welcoming. My first week there, I was given free coffee, drinks, etc. Everyone was big on complementing new employees, and never made anyone feel left out.
Friendly bosses, and a great team to work with
Maintenance (Current Employee), Beloit, WIJune 24, 2015
Pros: the team you work with
Cons: getting dirty
Starting the day I would have a wide range of tasks to do, that would help me learn how to do new things and if i made a mistake it would be ok. Learning to fix pumps, how to use different tools. Managers teaching me how to be great with customers. Reading the my board explaining how to better yourself along with reading all the great things people have done to make our customers feel welcome. The management team, obviously everyone they hire is very friendly and smart, i have learned so much from each person that was above me. So many knowledgeable people from different backgrounds, makes me feel like i was in school and learning so much. The co-workers are always fun, we are like one big family, making jokes but being serious most of the time because it is a business. The hardest part of the job is meeting all the demands from the higher up bosses as well as making sure the customers are very happy at the same time, but with the great training they provide and the team work that is found at Pilot Flying J we are able to complete those tasks, making us all better employees. I believe the most enjoyable part of my job is the different challenges that I am allowed to take on without the fear of messing up and getting fired. They truly understand that no one is perfect and that you have to start some where and Pilot Flying J is a great place to start.
a typical day at work
Shift Leader (Current Employee), Wytheville, VAJune 16, 2015
is generally pretty busy, making coffee, and providing customer service. overall a nice place to work if you don't mind a fast pace work place. The higher ups are a fun bunch to get a long with
Sandwich Artist and Cashier (Current Employee), Post Falls, IDJune 15, 2015
A typical day at work consisted of prep work, smiles, and repetitive customers. I love all my co-workers, they are some of the best people I know. I felt really comfortable at the job, and felt like I was needed. Management isn't right , you need a leader, not a boss.
A good corporation to work for if you are looking for advancement oppurtunity
Deli Shift Lead/Cook (Former Employee), Grand Junction, COJune 12, 2015
Pros: 50% discount during shift for deli items, scheduled breaks and great benefits/pay
Cons: Lazy employees appreciated, hard workers unappreciated and used
I loved my job but hated the environment. many employees stood around instead of working, tasks were not delegated and nobody was coached. poor management in what could have been a great start to a new career.
A fun fast and slow place to work.
Retail cashier (Former Employee), Charlotte, NCJune 10, 2015
My typical night at work was waiting on some truckers to use the showers and cash there checks helping them to decide whats best for their trucks .
Fast-paced job with decent benefits
Shift Supervisor (Former Employee), UTJune 10, 2015
In a typical day at Pilot Flying J I was required to keep the employees on task, as well as provide excellent customer service. I learned how to multitask efficiently as well as how to advertise in-store. The management was very supportive and most were willing to do anything to help out. The hardest part of the job was not being overwhelmed by the amount of work to do in a day. I think the most enjoyable part of the job was getting to meet different professional drivers from all over the country, or even the world. I met a lot of people from India, the Balkans, and even Russia and Ukraine.
High paced work place with great customers not so great management
Guest Service Lead (Former Employee), Ocala, FLJune 9, 2015
Pros: The amazing customers that I was able to bond with on a daily basis.
Cons: The upper management
A typical day at Pilot started great! I would get all of my paperwork done before it got too busy and while there was somebody else at the register to take care of the customers. I loved all of my regular customers that came in every day. Most of my coworkers were great to work with, the higher up management however was not! They believe that your job is more important than your health. They constantly and disrespecting you and talking down to you. When I ended up in the hospital due to my heart and they told me not to be late for my shift I decided that was not a company I wanted to work for.
friendly workplace
house keeping maint. (Former Employee), Gary,INJune 5, 2015
Pros: as an employee great discounts
Cons: no private staff break rooms
Jam-packed cleaning on a typical day depending on who work the shift before yours.
I learned how to operate the diesel side pumps also D.E.F
Management was all over the place really lacked a lot rarely seen in person.
I had a great team of peers to work with I will miss them as much as the pay.
The hardest part of my job was correcting the shift before mines mistakes as well as completing my daily duties.
The most enjoyable part of my job was meeting distant travelers learning different greetings.
The Job not bad but just be prepared to learn everything really quickly
Retail Cashier (Former Employee), Laplace, LAJune 3, 2015
Pros: Discount on food and nice people to work with
Cons: I did not have a lot of time to learn everything
It could of been a great job for me the people were nice and all but they wanted me to learn everything so quickly that I wasn't able to do because of my lack of experience in that field of work
very fun but also serious work place
maintainence (Former Employee), avon ohioJune 2, 2015
what i learned at pilot was not all truckers are what people make them out to be some aren't as mean as they make them out to be
Productive and a busy yet fun environment
Cashier (Current Employee), East Saint Louis, ILJune 1, 2015
Pros: Comfortable environment
Cons: No free lunch
Usually the days are smooth and fast paced when it gets busy. I've learned that no matter how busy things get, the job gets done if everyone has the right attitude and works together. Our managers are pretty understanding and fair. They ensure we are doing our jobs, but unerstands our personal lives as well. Co- workers are very willing and easy to get along with. the hardest part of the job is trying to make sure customers arent waiting for too long, however I love working with people, so I love satisfying their needs.
family enviroment
Administrative Assistant/Receptionist/mailrunner (Former Employee), Knoxville, TNMay 31, 2015
from the time i started at PFJ 1/2013 i enjoyed working there. i enjoyed my department and meeting people from different areas. the upper management are very nice and helpful. there is always something going on for the staff. lunch is catered in daily from different vendors. the hardest part of my job,came after my boss retired. our department statred to fall apart. but we as a whole tried to work together. new people came in and it went from a professional work envirmoent to high schooll.
All Over the Place
cashire (Current Employee), Brookville, PAMay 29, 2015
Pros: Friends I have made from working there
Cons: Schedule
Overall I love my job with Pilot Flying J. The management and other employees are a different story. Between the scheduling being off or changing without notice to employee drama and negativity. I think brought this store down. Despite the dysfunction at this Flying J, I loved what I did. One of the hard parts of the job was probably when checks didn't go through or there was technical issues. Also trying to understand and or explain things to people who did not speak very good english was hard at times but nothing I couldn't get through. I loved everything from taking care of guests to working in the deli area when needed!
If you enjoy moving, this is the place for you!!
Co-Manager/Manager (Former Employee), Jerome, IDMay 27, 2015
Pros: great place!
Great company! if you have the will and the drive this company will quite literally take you places!! especially once you are management. Every place Ive been was awesome tho! and the majority of the management is absolutely stellar!
Poorly Managed
Maintenance (Former Employee), Big Springs, NEMay 22, 2015
Pros: Hours worked, employee discount, independent position
Cons: Poor management, no room for advancement/recognition, unfair treatment to female employees, management doesnt resolve issues, poor store attitude/atmosphere
On a typical day in maintainence, day shift will be covered, night shift gets one person to do a majority of the work, and if its not done, you are held accountable. I learned through this store location, that the GM is not customer driven, nor driver driven, but is driven by bonuses. The GM doesn't do raises or reviews for a majority of his staff unless you happen to be his best friend at work and off the clock. I have witnessed female co workers being treated much more different than the men. Hardest part of the job is knowing no matter how hard you work, or how well you do for this corporation, they do not show their appreciation, nor do they acknowledge hard work or loyalty. And if an employee is having a work related issue, management simply walks away and avoids dealing with the issue altogether (women are lucky to even have theirs listened to). The best part of the job was serving the customers, listening to them, resolving issues when needed, and seeing them leave with a smile on their face, or laughing. A business, a corporation should never forget about their customers, nor an employee who interacts daily with customers when others simply don't.
Day long excitement
Co Manager (Current Employee), Strawberry Plains, Knoxville TnMay 20, 2015
Pros: The biggest pro is meeting people from all over the world
Cons: 11 hour days on your feet constantly moving
Woking at a Travel Center is a very unique and exciting place to work. There is never a dull moment. Constant excellent customer service is a must and as the Manager on duty you must ensure all employes are keeping up with your standards. On the back office side there is daily needs that must be met such as: scheduling, payroll, sales expectations, losses and the general upkeep of the store and fuel islands.
general manager is great
Assistant Store Manager (Current Employee), Mahwah, NJMay 13, 2015
my general manager is awesome but the pay is low and the hours are constantly fluctuating
The training has taught me how to deal with truck related situations and has excelled my management skills with complex problems
was a fun workplace
MANAGER (Former Employee), Laplace, LAMay 11, 2015
Pros: met a lot of people
Cons: district managers change too often
was employed with this company for 3 years.Started in this store when it was Speedway llc that sold out to Pilot travel Centers. Managed this store for apron 10 years. was the manager during the transition to the larger travel center from a small truck stop.Enjoyed all of it, was a great learning experience and opportunity,my decision to change my line of work and wanted to drive a truck for the experience is my reason for resigning.

1 2 3 4 5

About Pilot Flying J

Pilot Flying J is committed to making life better for America's drivers. Headquartered in Knoxville, Tennessee, Pilot Flying J – Read more

Pilot Flying J Salaries