Pilot Flying J Employee Reviews in United States

I really like working here!
Retail Cashier/Customer Service (Current Employee) –  Lenoir City, TNMarch 27, 2016
I really like working here! I mostly work as a cashier, but I am also responsible for maintaining the appearance of the store, managing the shelves, checking inventory, cleanliness, etc.

I don't really have any problems with working here. Management is thoughtful, always willing to work around your schedule, and open to discussing pay raises for those who put in the right amount of effort. The customers are pretty friendly, and some of my fellow employees have become dear friends.
Truck Driver Class A (Former Employee) –  Dallas, TXMarch 24, 2016
I worked there for 3 years and they need to reevaluate management regional manager doesn't know what he's doing. Lost a lot of good drivers. Pay lowest for hauling fuel. No pay raises in 6 yrs. As a driver you could do better with loves
Pros
Local work
Cons
Management sucks, no pay raise set at 17.89 low for hauling fuel
Employees are low priority
Shift Supervisor (Former Employee) –  Tumwater, WAJanuary 5, 2016
This company loves rewarding management with bonuses, raises, and prizes. If you are an hourly employee, you get a low wage, some benefits, weekly pay, very fast paced environment while truck drivers are angry and take it out on you. Hard to move up the career ladder.
Pros
Weekly paychecks
Cons
Low wage and no rewards
Team Leader/Retail Sales Specialist/Coffee Hostess (Current Employee) –  Jacksonville, FLDecember 28, 2015
Not a good company to work for. There is room for advancement only if you are willing to not have a life. Management doesn't treat employees equally. Raises are not worthy of your performance. I have been there seven years. and was only allowed a .40 raise and I have four job titles.
Fun job dealing with public
Co-manager (Former Employee) –  Clinton, SCFebruary 13, 2016
I learned to deal with turnover of employees. The hardest part of the day was making sure we had enough coverage to run a good shift. The most enjoyable part was customer service.
Pros
good benefits
Cons
to much turnover
Great Workplace
Cashier (Former Employee) –  Sturbridge, MAOctober 21, 2015
Although you have to have very thick skin to work at a Pilot the company is overall great to work for. Great benefits, good management, flexible schedule. The regulars are what made it worth while along with the coworkers. Once a new manager stepped in the whole place went down hill. Everyone hated their jobs and didn't have the drive to go to work anymore. It became dull and miserable.
Pros
Good hours, pay, customers, atmosphere.
Cons
New management is awful, changed everything and made it worse.
Stressful Workplace
Maintenance Manager (Former Employee) –  Laramie, WYJanuary 13, 2016
Always felt micromanaged. It was hard enough dealing with the demands of professional drivers, but it seemed that someone from corporate was always around the corner watching you.
Pros
Good Medical, dental and eye care benefits
Cons
Rude customers, Micromanaged
Wrong people in management
Truck Driver (Current Employee) –  Salt Lake City, UTNovember 19, 2015
Pilot is trying to move into the Crude oil market and is hiring friends of friends who know nothing about running offload trucks. Safety is also a major concern. They are rolling a truck on the average of one a month. The safety personal are DOT strong but know know nothing about OSHA or how to establish a safety culture.
Pros
Cons
Are dropping pay and benefits
Basic job
Fuel delivery driver (Current Employee) –  New MexicoNovember 11, 2015
Graveyard shift. Monday and Tuesday off that won't change for years. Also you never get a raise no matter how long you work there. Everyone makes the same pay regardless. Benefits are kinda shabby. This job is nothing special with no room for advancement.
Pros
Friendly co-workers
Cons
just your average dead end job
High Stress Environment. Fast work pace. Customer Service
Co-Manager/Store Manager (Current Employee) –  Chillicothe, OHFebruary 8, 2016
This job is solely based on providing excellent customer service to OTR Truck Drivers and traveling customers.
This Company promoted me from within and developed my management career.
Pilot put me through a Phase 1 management training course, Management development course and Serve Safe (due to becoming a deli Manager)
I feel the hardest part of the job has been spreading myself so thin so as to maintain the overall comfort of staff and Customers.
The most enjoyable part of my job has been the relationships that I have built over the years with the people that I have come in contact with, including regular customers and co-workers that have become life long friends.
Productive working place with many possibilities to grow within.
Deli Host/ Cashier (Former Employee) –  Oklahoma City, OKAugust 12, 2015
While working at Pilot Flying J a typical day for me would start at about 5 a.m. Monday thru Friday ending at 1 p.m. . I would come in stock the deli display refrigerator, then I would stock all coffee supplies as needed. After doing so I would clean up my work area and greet customers upon entrance and exit until 9 a.m. . After 9 a.m. I would then do a deli pull for the next day and get everything restocked for the next shift. By 11 a.m. I would help cashiers upon request or as needed. Working at Pilot allowed me to build better people skills along with becoming a good salesman. The management was also and caring and very understanding. My c0-workers welcomed me with open arms from the beginning to the end. The hardest part of the job most definitely was dealing with the grumpy truck drivers, never once did that affect how I treated they were always welcomed with open arms. The most enjoyable part of the job was knowing I was capable of making their day as easy as possible.
Pros
discounted meals, great benefits.
Cons
short break.
Work your tail off for hardly any money
FSL2 (Former Employee) –  Frystown, PADecember 4, 2015
Job was very easy, just didn't get appreciated much and compensation was very poor.If you love to work all around the clock then this job is for you.
Pros
Worked with some good people
Cons
No respect, low pay.
With the right team anything is possible and the core company is sound and I love it
Facility Manager (Current Employee) –  Drums, PASeptember 5, 2015
I believe the company to be great with a great core message and goal to take care of their guests. On a typical day you may deal with multiple issues ranging from call off's, facility breakdowns, system failures, In that staffing is tight and applicant pools are shallow, however despite these challenges the message is strong enough to carry you through.
Pros
Great benefits, opportunities to advance
Cons
Disconnect with Senior Mgmt on issues that happen day to day
Job Location
Customer Service Representative (Current Employee) –  Statesvillie AveOctober 19, 2015
Make Sure customer have the right information when they have to pick up a check or any etc or form. Pilot is a former truck stop at different locations on some exits and they have subway in there just for truck stops or regular customers who may eat or purchase anything
Pros
Great Benefits and also discounts of Hotels
Cons
Interesting and challenging work place
Deli Manager (Current Employee) –  Boise, IDMarch 23, 2016
Daily activities at work are usually easy to accomplish. General mangers change about every six months which can create turmoil within the work environment. The upper management has always worked with my school schedule which has been extremely beneficial while attending college. The co-workers are pretty great, other than the few bad apples that roll through. The hardest part of the job is creating work schedules that satisfy all co-workers needs. The best part of work is being able to get along so well with almost all the people at work.
Pros
tuition reimbursement, 50 percent of deli items
Cons
frequent changing of managers
Cashiering at a truck stop
Cashier/Customer Service (Former Employee) –  Walton, KYJune 8, 2016
A typical day at a Pilot/ Flying J travel center is very busy and hectic at the same time. Travelers and truckers from all of the country come in night and day, in need of assistance from lottery, western unions, cash advances, showers and rest . i learned to have patience and be understanding of all situations. i enjoyed my customers the worst even the ones in a bad mood. the hardest part of the job was to deal with corporate issues, that we were not able to fix in the store, such as all the gas pump going down for 24 hours, as well as 500 truckers coming in to travel center all in one night do to weather and making sure all were happy and comfortable, I enjoyed my co-workers. You must have a good personality to work in a travel center and be able to keep up with consistent business and problems.
Pros
Great co-workers and customers
Cons
Alot of mishaps
Fun and Exciting
Shift Leader (Former Employee) –  Corbin, KYMay 20, 2016
Supervised workers. Set assignments. Resolved worker problems, complaints. Interpreted job orders, company policies and procedures. Set deadlines. Responsible for training, disciplining. Maintained the existing customer base. Communicated changes in policies, procedures, and strategies. Resolved customer complaints. Assigned duties to employees. Attended company meetings. Conferred with management and subordinates to resolved worker problems, complaints, and grievances. Demonstrated equipment operations and work and safety procedures to new employees, and assigned employees to experienced workers for training. Recommended and implemented measures to motivated employees and to improve production methods, equipment performance, product quality, and efficiency. Recommended personnel actions such as hirings and promotions.
Not to bad for what it is
Shift leader (Former Employee) –  Whiteland, INSeptember 14, 2015
I worked at two different stores. Management depends on the store. Raises were not great when I worked there. Jumping around in hours suck but that's all retail like stores
Pros
Work enviroement never gets boring
Cons
People are kind of rude at times
Not great
Housekeeping (Former Employee) –  Iowa, LAMay 5, 2016
I was employed at the new truck stop in Iowa, LA and was treated unfairly by management and not given any guidance or help with regards to job. The pay I got was great and especially for everything you gotta do. However the management ESPECIALLY the store manager was disrespectful towards me, later threatened me and didn't like the fact when his own store management couldn't give straight answers he had to be called and was VERY RUDE AND UNPROFESSIONAL, definitely doesn't deserve to be the store management and needs training on how to.treat his employees. I've filed complianta and nothing was done or solved, so they lost a great hard working and ALWAYS on time for work..
Pros
Good pay
Cons
Managment sucked, not good treatment AT ALL by upper management
Fast pace, decent management.
Guest Service Representative (Former Employee) –  Fort Worth, TX 76177April 30, 2016
I liked the people I worked with for the most part, and our regular customers were often phenomenal.
I learned how to handle difficult customers in a friendly efficient way, depleting their frustration for the most part.
Management have their good and bad days, which they would make very apparent on how they treated their employees.
My co-workers were very easy to get along with, we had each others back.
The hardest part of the job was when I would try to explain an issue to management, and they didn't care. I want to work with a company that cares about their employee's.
I thoroughly enjoyed helping people daily, because I love working with people.
Pros
They worked with my schedule
Cons
Not enough pay for work required.

2.9