Pilot Flying J

Pilot Flying J Employee Reviews

The drivers were fun and my coworkers were hard working for the most part.
Cashier (Former Employee) –  Summerville, SCFebruary 2, 2016
The drivers kept the lines pumping and the conversations flowing. It was good to speak to people from all over the US and Canada. I learned a lot about check cashing and operating a register. The hardest part of the job was dealing with the GM. She treated everybody like garbage and cared only about sitting in her office in the back and not being disturbed by employees or customers. The most aggravating part of the job was hearing the GM ask over the com if the restrooms smelled when all she had to do was walk over and check for herself. Apply only if you have no other option. Pilot will welcome you with open arms, chew you up and spit you out without a care in the world.
Pros
a paycheck...the turnover is high and you will get hours
Cons
management does as little as possible, management will not help with lines, management will call maintenance to pick up a piece of paper off the floor instead of doing it, management will short drawers and then complain about the cashiers not doing their jobs right, management takes extended lunches for hours at a time away from the store
Unprofessional Management
Cashier (Current Employee) –  North CarolinaJanuary 30, 2016
When interviewing for this position it sounded to good to be true and this turned out to be the case! The management was rude, defiling, and just plain immature. Examples being not putting certain people on schedule, cutting your hours trying to push employees out, and being drama between the staff! Truly disappointed.
Pros
breaks
Cons
rude management
Fun
Cashier/Maintenance/ DSC (Driver Service Champion) (Former Employee) –  Perrysburg, OHJanuary 29, 2016
Fun people to work with, fun to talk with the customers, and a very productive job. The workers are nice, full of energy, and just fun to hangout with.
Exciting and fun place to work and grow as a team
Cashier/Customer Service (Former Employee) –  Sturbridge, MAJanuary 29, 2016
There was no such thing as a typical day at Pilot. There was always something going on, and in a good way. It was very fun working with all the other employees there. We all worked so great together as a team as well. I learned a lot there as well. Like team building skills, working with others, cashing checks, doing the CAT scale for tractor trailer trucks, how to deal with very angry customers (not just my customers but customers the other cashiers had as well) each unsatisfied customer usually left happy though. I always had a happy and upbeat attitude, when you work at a place like that, you need to remember, you might be the only interaction that that person has had for weeks. Truck drivers sometimes drive weeks on end with only stopping for gas. I wanted each and every one of them to have a good experience coming in. The hardest part of the job was when it was slow, I like work more fast-paced. I just used the time to clean and organize though.
A very friendly and fast going place
Food Service Leader (Current Employee) –  Jasper, FLJanuary 27, 2016
Pilot took took me and turned me into a super star. I love going to work doing my job and teaching people all that I know.My day consists of me laughing smiling and making every customer feel as if they are home.I feel as if you can have the worst day but after you come and see me, I am going to find a way to make you smile, leave a great impression on you and guarantee you will return.I love when people just come in and say wheres the crispy bacon girl , or you should be a car salesman. I even have people come in with job offers.
Pros
You get half off on your food
Cons
You can not get over 40 hours no matter what
overwork for demands and unjust pay. Senority means nothing to the company.
Supervisor (Former Employee) –  Port Wentworth, GAJanuary 22, 2016
Does not really care about the striving employee only upper management. Unfair pay and work hours very high employee turnover. Extensive workload for pay. Pay is unjust it is according to how much management likes you and you are willing to snitch and turn against fellow employees.
Pros
Have worked with some awesome cashiers within my 11-year span.
Cons
Unfaiir pay. Senority means nothing to the company. High employee turnover.
fun job and simple but productive work
Arby's (Former Employee) –  Council Bluffs, IAJanuary 19, 2016
prep cook clean make orders fast neat and highest standards
learned about fast food cooking
good work environment good management open easiest close was usually the most time consuming
Pros
free meals
Cons
no dental
Exhausting work for inadequate pay.
Maintenance (Former Employee) –  Grand Forks, NDJanuary 17, 2016
In a typical day at work as a maintenance employee at the Flying J in Grand Forks consists of:

Pulling trashes inside and outside, including all cardboard boxes emptied by individuals stocking shelves.

Cleaning the Showers after every use sometimes totaling 40-50 showers per shift.

Cleaning the restrooms.

Cleaning up trash/debris outside in the summer, to include sweeping curb lines and around fueling stations. In the winter this includes shoveling/plowing the sidewalks/parking lot, salting the sidewalks to keep them free of ice.

Fixing hoses, breakaways and nozzles at the fueling stations, should they break.

Keeping windshield washer fluids by the fueling station full as well as replace squeegees once worn out.

Cleaning store windows, watering outside plants and other property beautification.
Pros
Never boring, always something to do.
Cons
Terrible management that did not work with employees when scheduling around Guard drill weekends, court dates or health issues, No employee discount, rude and racist customers. Generally not a good work environment.
Management does not know what Is doing
Coffee Host (Former Employee) –  Williston, NDJanuary 16, 2016
It's a nice place to be and you always know what Jobs are opening In the area. Sadly the new Manager dosen't know what he's dong and all the good emplyee's left and he hires school kids that do not care so the current staff Is really lazy. It was a breathe of fresh air When me and my husband quit...
Pros
always know whats new in jobs and companies
Cons
managmet does not know what he's dong
Loved this job
Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Mebane, NCJanuary 15, 2016
I loved this job!!!! My typical day/night consisted of stocking cigarettes, coffee creamers, making coffee, when needed, cleaning the women's restroom, and sweeping and mopping the floor. I'd say the hardest part was learning the different cigarette brands and helping people with the lottery, I don't know anything about the lottery. The management were awesome in training. Any question I had someone always knew the answer and could explain the answer.
Pros
Job in general
Cons
People swindling the cashiers.
Stressful Workplace
Maintenance Manager (Former Employee) –  Laramie, WYJanuary 13, 2016
Always felt micromanaged. It was hard enough dealing with the demands of professional drivers, but it seemed that someone from corporate was always around the corner watching you.
Pros
Good Medical, dental and eye care benefits
Cons
Rude customers, Micromanaged
Words can't describe
Maintenance Worker (Former Employee) –  Pilot 336January 6, 2016
One of the worst places to work at. Don't get me wrong the work was not the bad part it was management I basically got canned because the new manager needed to make room for his nephew before that no pay increase like promised little to no training Ect, ect
Pros
Was a paycheck
Cons
Just about everything but the work
waiting onpromotion
deli shift leader (Current Employee) –  Jackson, TNJanuary 5, 2016
I like working there been waiting on promotions for a year now. Been there almost two years . love making pizza keeping shift running smoothly. like running the register when needed. Been shift leader for over year now been waiting on deli manager which thought was getting the promotion in November,
Pros
50 percent discount on deli items when u work
Cons
still waiting on promatiojn
Employees are low priority
Shift Supervisor (Former Employee) –  Tumwater, WAJanuary 5, 2016
This company loves rewarding management with bonuses, raises, and prizes. If you are an hourly employee, you get a low wage, some benefits, weekly pay, very fast paced environment while truck drivers are angry and take it out on you. Hard to move up the career ladder.
Pros
Weekly paychecks
Cons
Low wage and no rewards
Team Leader/Retail Sales Specialist/Coffee Hostess (Current Employee) –  Jacksonville, FLDecember 28, 2015
Not a good company to work for. There is room for advancement only if you are willing to not have a life. Management doesn't treat employees equally. Raises are not worthy of your performance. I have been there seven years. and was only allowed a .40 raise and I have four job titles.
Productive Fun work place
Customer Service (Current Employee) –  Sturbridge, MADecember 20, 2015
Pilot is a great place to work. Employees and managers all work together as a team to make sure we have great customer satisfaction. doing surveys to understand how we are doing as a team. and having a safe fun work environment.
Pros
Customers are wonderful, same as coworkers
Cons
Difficult customers, Hard headed, and do not understand certain situations.
Worked
Manger/Customer Service Representative, (Former Employee) –  Crossville, TNDecember 13, 2015
Not to bad of a place to work for. When it comes to some of the management was not helpful or friendly. Some of the mangers seem to think job comes before family. Mostly reason for leaving. Other is trying to get off a shift that I have tryed to get off for over 8 months due to being a single mother.
Pros
Some good people to work with
Cons
Dealing with truck drivers and some other mangers that are rude
Its retail
guest services (Former Employee) –  CADecember 11, 2015
Overall its not a bad company to work for. The pay is low, and the truck drivers are hit and miss. Some are really down to earth guys and gals and others, well, they are rude disgusting human beings, but thats anywhere you work.Its fast paced and can be a little tricky at times. Learn the registers as best as you can. Dont bother taking complaints to management as they dont really care and if you call the alert line, it gets funneled to the manager so it still doesn't get addressed.
Work your tail off for hardly any money
FSL2 (Former Employee) –  Frystown, PADecember 4, 2015
Job was very easy, just didn't get appreciated much and compensation was very poor.If you love to work all around the clock then this job is for you.
Pros
Worked with some good people
Cons
No respect, low pay.
An amazing place to work. It is family friendly place it also has wonderful workers!
Subway Sandwich Artist (Former Employee) –  Central Point, ORDecember 3, 2015
A typical day at Subway, was come into work put your stuff in the lockers or hang it up then clock in. After you've clocked in you wash our hands and either get on line or on register. If all positions up front are occupied the you would go to the back and start dishes or any thing that needed to get done. It is the most friendly work enviroment I've ever experienced. I became personal friends with more than one of my co-workers as well as managers. That should show that they are a great company to work for I greatly recommend them as a work place!