Pilot Flying J Employee Reviews

Lack of Communication
Retail Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Minot, NDJanuary 18, 2017
Pilot Flying J has a standard reputation among the locals and passing truck drivers. They always had fresh coffee, great food, and amazing customer service towards guests. However upper management heavily lack communications and always played favorites with certain staff members. Employees were always treated as second rate. Corporate is always trying to find ways to keep money in their own pockets by denying certain essentials to their store locations. Couldn't even use employee discount during off hours like some other companies offer.
Pros
Fresh coffee, excellent rewards system
Cons
Pay, Hours, Communications, Gossip
Fun working environment
Manager (Current Employee) –  Channelview, TXJanuary 20, 2017
Working for flying j has really changed my life in a matter of a year! I opened up with the company and because of my great attitude and ability to work well with people and manage time efficiently, i was moved up with the company as a manger. The company offers great benefits and a very fun, fast paced environment to work in. I get to interact with many different people from around the world on a daily basses. I enjoy my employer and everything they have too offer. I have learned so much throughout the year that i have been here and am excited to acquire more life skills from this job.
Pros
good benefits. friendly environment. good pay.
Cons
open 24/7.
Not what was promised and you feel invaluable
Team Member (Former Employee) –  Fernley, NVJanuary 16, 2017
It's a minimum wage job with a slow raising pay that often isn't worth the work you do. the higher management where I worked were insensitive and expected moree than possible. your other co-workers are great however and lower management tends to be fun, customers typically are friendly and talkative. It is a Great first job.
Pros
50% discount on your meal, flexable hours
Cons
Bad management, little to no communication between shifts
Fun workplace, great way to always meet new people
Assistant Restaurant Manager (Former Employee) –  Circleville, OHDecember 13, 2016
A typical work day is usually busy but enjoyable. Employees worked together to help one another and provide the best service possible. There was never a dull moment with the new customers you would meet daily. Management was pretty good though there could be some definite improvements in some areas like cooperation and gossip.
Pros
half off on lunches, breaks
Cons
Scheduling and some managament
Terrible Company To Work For
General Service Lead (Former Employee) –  Hubbard, OHJanuary 4, 2017
Had I gotten the amount of training and support from upper management that I was suppose to get instead of just being throw into it I still wouldn't have stayed any longer. This company expects you to run short staffed and work through your breaks off the clock and not tell anyone. Co-workers you have some good ones and some bad ones just like everywhere.
Cons
Pretty much everything sadly. It could have been a good company.
Average job, good pay.
cashier (Former Employee) –  Clear Brook, VANovember 30, 2016
There is not too much to say about this job. I was a cashier. On a daily basis, I would complete transactions on the register, assist customers with any questions, complete gaming payouts for lotto tickets, data entry for reserved parking and weight tickets, print weight tickets, answer phones, brew coffee, keep work area clean, and several other small tasks. This job was great for keeping on the move.
Pros
We had a bit of a lengthy lunch break and the was always coffee available.
Cons
Sometimes you run into a rude customer.
Good place to work, Bad manager
Team Member (Former Employee) –  Minooka, ILDecember 30, 2016
Coming in and making sandwiches for everyone and helping people was extremely rewarding. That Arby's was managed extremely well when I was first hired but she was promoted and we got a new manager. That was the downfall when me along with alot of other employees had to quit because of terrible scheduling and an overall disregard for employee well being and happiness.
Pros
Helping People Food Discounts
Cons
Mismanaged
it is a fast paced business and many opportunities to advance with a little hard work.
Guest Sevice Leader (Current Employee) –  Kansas City, MONovember 19, 2016
They expect one person to do the work load of three or four people. They offer very little as far as comendations for jobs well done. They do offer insurance and education assistance. It is always exciting going to work because you have the opportunity to meet several diverse people and there is never a dull moment. The management team is normally there to assist you when needed, but sometimes they are way to busy to deal with some of the cashiers. For the past 7 years I have enjoyed my job there because I was able to apply the skills I have in management and training.
Pros
Great benefits
Cons
Expectations of company for employees work expectations are unrealistically outrageous.
I enjoyed the working atmosphere but the upper management during the merge with flying was a bit unprofessional.
Truck Driver / Lead Driver (Current Employee) –  Memphis, TNDecember 13, 2016
I was lead driver in charge of three trucks. it was good and my drivers we professionals. no more advancement. I wanted to work in the field of my degree.
Pros
work on your own. was given task and had to complete them on time.
Cons
had workers above me who did not have the skills to do their jobs.
great place to work
Manager (Former Employee) –  Corbin, KYNovember 6, 2016
fun and fast pace work extremely busy great coworkers all dedicated to taking care of our guest and driving sales,the hardest part of the job was maintaining standards due to such a high volume.the thing i enjoyed the most was the customer interaction.the thing i learned most was how to manage my time in order to get my daily task accomplished.
Pros
pay and working environment
Cons
long hours many days longer and twelve hours
great work place
Shift Manager (Former Employee) –  Biloxi, MSDecember 8, 2016
excellent working environment great people to work with good customers lots of repeat customers was like seeing family. Management was great even if you had to call them in the middle of the night with questions. great coworkers very dependable. hardest part of the job was seeing people go. most enjoyable part was the people.
Pros
good pay great environment
Cons
grumpy truck drivers
Tuck Stop
Cashier/Stocker (Former Employee) –  Simpsonville, KYOctober 27, 2016
Work eight hour shifts, no schedule consistency, handling money and truck drivers transactions.
learned-stronger money handling skills, retail, check transactions and computer.
Management- can be challenging to get days off, communication wasn't always there.
Co-workers- never by yourself at register.
hardest part- dealing with unhappy customers, and scheduling.
Pros
paid weekly
Cons
hours, never know what your scheldule will be
Hired as a Manager, left as a cashier with management pay
Customer Service Associate (Former Employee) –  Greenwood, LAJanuary 1, 2017
I was hired as a assistant manager, position put on hold, placed as a cashier. They hired someone else for that position that I had to train. After I trained her, she in turn tried to turn on me and put demands on me. That's not gonna work.
Pros
All around good place to work
Cons
Hire people with no training that you would have to train
Very hectic work place
Maintence (Former Employee) –  Pontoon Beach, ILNovember 3, 2016
There is a lot going on all the time, with little time to do it. They go through a lot of workers because they ask too much out of everyone. Therefore if you stick with the company, you can move up fast. Management that are hired in put in little effort to help employees. Co-workers that have moved into management are very helpful because they know the struggle and are actually there for you. Train you very vaguely then throw you into the wolves.

**Maintenance workers will have to change the trash along the diesel pumps that haven't been changed since the day before, so they will packed full and rip, and are overflowing with bags of trucker URINE that will drip all over you**
Pros
Fast Advancements
Cons
Working here sucks and they know it so they hire anybody, Therefore not many people work there for very long.
sandwich artist
Subway Sandwich Artist (Former Employee) –  Oak Grove, KYDecember 14, 2016
Demonstrated effective communication between front of house and back of house staff, kept the store clean and tidy, trained new employees, handled guests and provided quick and efficient service, performed quality checks of employees side work at the end of shift, managed point of sale systems, provided guest with superior service.
Fast paced, high volume. Fuel, food, C-store items, several franchises in travel centers, professional OTR drivers is main revenue for company.
General Manager (Former Employee) –  Big Springs, NEJanuary 16, 2017
Over all supportive of team members. Not a lot of hours for labor though. Fast paced, hard work. Everything from cleaning restrooms to P&L reports.
Pros
Great benefits, fast track promotions.
Cons
Really low employee retention rate.
Pretty good pay, but no room for advancement
Retail Sales Specialist (Current Employee) –  ksSeptember 27, 2016
I have been employed for over three years with PIlot. I took my current position because it was vacant for 3 months and no one wanted it. This company will work you to the bone without any recognition. They are also pretty big on discrimination towards women and breast feeding mothers. fo
Pros
never boring, pay, coworkers, breaks
Cons
management, no room for advancement, horrible morale, hours cut constantly for all nonmanagement
A fun work environment
Mantenance/Deli (Former Employee) –  Rock Hill, SCOctober 13, 2016
A typical day for me was to maintain store appearance and to cook for customers. I learned good time management and how to fill propane tanks. My co-workers were great to work with. The hardest part of the job was working in horrible weather conditions no matter how hot or cold you were outside all day and or night. The most enjoyable part of my job was conversing with customers.
pilot flying j is a great company because they are productive and amazing to work for.
Maintenance (Former Employee) –  Moriarty, NMSeptember 19, 2016
A typical day at work for me is always being polite and kind to my customers. What i have learned is the things go alot smoother when you get things done it just makes everything so much easier. My management was okay they knew what they were doing and they were professional about most things. I got along with all my co-workers everyone was friendly and made me feel like i was at home. and the most enjoyable part about my job is just getting to work i love working all day every day.
Pros
50% off food items
benefits
Days go by fast team members are nice to work with...
Maintenance / housekeeping (Current Employee) –  Lincoln, AlabamaOctober 1, 2016
This place they don't want you to have two jobs they want you to have one job and come full-time but they don't give you full time hours it would be 20 hours 10 hours tops inspect you live off that. And management needs to improve. The pay 10 hours but they don't give any hours or overtime. My check equals up to 150 a week if that...
Pros
50% off on lunch.
Cons
Hours. Management

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Pilot Flying J. Our community is ready to answer.

2.9