Pilot Flying J Employee Reviews

I really like working here!
Retail Cashier/Customer Service (Current Employee) –  Lenoir City, TNMarch 27, 2016
I really like working here! I mostly work as a cashier, but I am also responsible for maintaining the appearance of the store, managing the shelves, checking inventory, cleanliness, etc.

I don't really have any problems with working here. Management is thoughtful, always willing to work around your schedule, and open to discussing pay raises for those who put in the right amount of effort. The customers are pretty friendly, and some of my fellow employees have become dear friends.
Truck Driver Class A (Former Employee) –  Dallas, TXMarch 24, 2016
I worked there for 3 years and they need to reevaluate management regional manager doesn't know what he's doing. Lost a lot of good drivers. Pay lowest for hauling fuel. No pay raises in 6 yrs. As a driver you could do better with loves
Pros
Local work
Cons
Management sucks, no pay raise set at 17.89 low for hauling fuel
High Stress Environment. Fast work pace. Customer Service
Co-Manager/Store Manager (Current Employee) –  Chillicothe, OHFebruary 8, 2016
This job is solely based on providing excellent customer service to OTR Truck Drivers and traveling customers.
This Company promoted me from within and developed my management career.
Pilot put me through a Phase 1 management training course, Management development course and Serve Safe (due to becoming a deli Manager)
I feel the hardest part of the job has been spreading myself so thin so as to maintain the overall comfort of staff and Customers.
The most enjoyable part of my job has been the relationships that I have built over the years with the people that I have come in contact with, including regular customers and co-workers that have become life long friends.
Employees are low priority
Shift Supervisor (Former Employee) –  Tumwater, WAJanuary 5, 2016
This company loves rewarding management with bonuses, raises, and prizes. If you are an hourly employee, you get a low wage, some benefits, weekly pay, very fast paced environment while truck drivers are angry and take it out on you. Hard to move up the career ladder.
Pros
Weekly paychecks
Cons
Low wage and no rewards
Team Leader/Retail Sales Specialist/Coffee Hostess (Current Employee) –  Jacksonville, FLDecember 28, 2015
Not a good company to work for. There is room for advancement only if you are willing to not have a life. Management doesn't treat employees equally. Raises are not worthy of your performance. I have been there seven years. and was only allowed a .40 raise and I have four job titles.
Interesting and challenging work place
Deli Manager (Current Employee) –  Boise, IDMarch 23, 2016
Daily activities at work are usually easy to accomplish. General mangers change about every six months which can create turmoil within the work environment. The upper management has always worked with my school schedule which has been extremely beneficial while attending college. The co-workers are pretty great, other than the few bad apples that roll through. The hardest part of the job is creating work schedules that satisfy all co-workers needs. The best part of work is being able to get along so well with almost all the people at work.
Pros
tuition reimbursement, 50 percent of deli items
Cons
frequent changing of managers
Cashiering at a truck stop
Cashier/Customer Service (Former Employee) –  Walton, KYJune 8, 2016
A typical day at a Pilot/ Flying J travel center is very busy and hectic at the same time. Travelers and truckers from all of the country come in night and day, in need of assistance from lottery, western unions, cash advances, showers and rest . i learned to have patience and be understanding of all situations. i enjoyed my customers the worst even the ones in a bad mood. the hardest part of the job was to deal with corporate issues, that we were not able to fix in the store, such as all the gas pump going down for 24 hours, as well as 500 truckers coming in to travel center all in one night do to weather and making sure all were happy and comfortable, I enjoyed my co-workers. You must have a good personality to work in a travel center and be able to keep up with consistent business and problems.
Pros
Great co-workers and customers
Cons
Alot of mishaps
Pilot is very clean
Maintenance (Current Employee) –  Woodhull, ILSeptember 12, 2016
My typical day at work is I usually arrive early to get ready mentally for the day. I usually start on the inside and clean what showers are dirty and start the laundry. I move to the bathrooms and the main part of the store. Then I work my way outside to gather the trash and anything that has fallen out of them on the ground. The hardest part of my job is catching up when I first arrive at work, and on the truck days because I am asked by all of the departments to help put their trucks away. The most enjoyable part of my job is on the really nice days i can be outside power washing or painting.
Pros
unpaid lunch and breaks
Bit of a mixed experience.
Sales Clerk (Former Employee) –  Lordsburg, NMSeptember 8, 2016
While the hours and what was asked of employees wasn't necessarily daunting, I believe the experience I had working there was a bit lessened due to one particular co-worker whose behavior, attitude, and lack of professionalism inevitably led to my abrupt decision to cease working there. I was made to scrub the floor with bleach by this individual...which wouldn't have been a last straw if I'd at least been treated with common courtesy and respect throughout my employment.

The days were easy enough. I was pregnant at the time, but even with the morning sickness, my duties were reasonable and easy to take care of.

Typical restocking of food and drink stations, food prep for select on-the-go meal items, and preparing coffee. Cleaning, sweeping, mopping, and keeping displays organized. There were fun little competitive sails during promotional events that kept things interesting.

It was a 24/7 truckstop as well as a weighing station with a Western Union service.
Pros
Lunch Break, One Free 32oz drink each shift
Cons
You can't choose who you work with.
Def Truck driver (Former Employee) –  Lema OhMarch 30, 2016
This place is a horrible place to work. They have to many chiefs and not enough indians . They love to take back the money they pay you . They definitely are not good with safety. Their only ways that they like to talk to you is thru text messages and when you need to call them you never get an answer even when it is an emergency. Def division has no glue what they are doing they go thru drivers and management like I go thru underwear!
Pros
Poor communication skills
Cons
Easy work!
pilot flying j is a great company because they are productive and amazing to work for.
Maintenance (Former Employee) –  Moriarty, NMSeptember 19, 2016
A typical day at work for me is always being polite and kind to my customers. What i have learned is the things go alot smoother when you get things done it just makes everything so much easier. My management was okay they knew what they were doing and they were professional about most things. I got along with all my co-workers everyone was friendly and made me feel like i was at home. and the most enjoyable part about my job is just getting to work i love working all day every day.
Pros
50% off food items
benefits
Good environment to meet folks.
Travel Center General Manager (Former Employee) –  Cartersville, GAAugust 12, 2016
Overall the supervisors and corporate level care more about making money then supporting you. Several of your supervisors don't know how a travel center runs but try to tell you what they think is right. Mainly you are a glorified Cashier and bathroom cleaner. You deal with travelers and truck drivers all day and folks are nasty in cleaning up behind themselves. You get very little help and hours so you are your own backup. They say driver driven but only care about the dollars...billion dollar company but won't spend on help.....but your choice.
Fun and Exciting
Shift Leader (Former Employee) –  Corbin, KYMay 20, 2016
Supervised workers. Set assignments. Resolved worker problems, complaints. Interpreted job orders, company policies and procedures. Set deadlines. Responsible for training, disciplining. Maintained the existing customer base. Communicated changes in policies, procedures, and strategies. Resolved customer complaints. Assigned duties to employees. Attended company meetings. Conferred with management and subordinates to resolved worker problems, complaints, and grievances. Demonstrated equipment operations and work and safety procedures to new employees, and assigned employees to experienced workers for training. Recommended and implemented measures to motivated employees and to improve production methods, equipment performance, product quality, and efficiency. Recommended personnel actions such as hirings and promotions.
fun, and organized
chashier (Former Employee) –  Brooks, KYMarch 23, 2016
I really enjoyed when I worked here. The managers are very understanding and will work with you on anything you need or need to do outside or inside of work. The training process is very messy and I don't think new hires get the training they need. All the new people being trained by the new management are lazy and stand around doing nothing or the wrong things. Its fast food what can I say?
Pros
free lunches
Cons
greese everywhere, new management is bad
Worst company to work for!
Cashier/Customer Service (Former Employee) –  TexasAugust 28, 2016
At first this company seems like a nice place to work for. But after some time you being to see its true colors. The management and " supervisors " are terrible the employee's run the store and do whatever they want. The pay is is ridicules for what they expect you to do while they have employees who do nothing while you do their work plus you're own and any complaints and possible raises or promotions are brushed under the rug.
Pros
None!
Cons
Bad pay, no team effort, And NO CHANCE OF GROWING WITH THE COMPANY
Not great
Housekeeping (Former Employee) –  Iowa, LAMay 5, 2016
I was employed at the new truck stop in Iowa, LA and was treated unfairly by management and not given any guidance or help with regards to job. The pay I got was great and especially for everything you gotta do. However the management ESPECIALLY the store manager was disrespectful towards me, later threatened me and didn't like the fact when his own store management couldn't give straight answers he had to be called and was VERY RUDE AND UNPROFESSIONAL, definitely doesn't deserve to be the store management and needs training on how to.treat his employees. I've filed complianta and nothing was done or solved, so they lost a great hard working and ALWAYS on time for work..
Pros
Good pay
Cons
Managment sucked, not good treatment AT ALL by upper management
Fast pace, decent management.
Guest Service Representative (Former Employee) –  Fort Worth, TX 76177April 30, 2016
I liked the people I worked with for the most part, and our regular customers were often phenomenal.
I learned how to handle difficult customers in a friendly efficient way, depleting their frustration for the most part.
Management have their good and bad days, which they would make very apparent on how they treated their employees.
My co-workers were very easy to get along with, we had each others back.
The hardest part of the job was when I would try to explain an issue to management, and they didn't care. I want to work with a company that cares about their employee's.
I thoroughly enjoyed helping people daily, because I love working with people.
Pros
They worked with my schedule
Cons
Not enough pay for work required.
Pilot Flying J was the best and most uplifting job I've ever had!
Cashier/Customer Service (Former Employee) –  Resaca, GAAugust 4, 2016
A Typical day at flying j was normally not just a typical day. Working in such a busy place with so many different people you see everyday made me have patience and become more outgoing. My job wasn't just a cashier . If the kitchen needed help, I went. If I need to help clean showers, I went. Everyone worked as a team!
Pros
Everything was great. The best was my co-workers
Cons
I can honestly say their was nothing about my job at Pilot Flying j that I can complain about!
The drivers were fun and my coworkers were hard working for the most part.
Cashier (Former Employee) –  Summerville, SCFebruary 2, 2016
The drivers kept the lines pumping and the conversations flowing. It was good to speak to people from all over the US and Canada. I learned a lot about check cashing and operating a register. The hardest part of the job was dealing with the GM. She treated everybody like garbage and cared only about sitting in her office in the back and not being disturbed by employees or customers. The most aggravating part of the job was hearing the GM ask over the com if the restrooms smelled when all she had to do was walk over and check for herself. Apply only if you have no other option. Pilot will welcome you with open arms, chew you up and spit you out without a care in the world.
Pros
a paycheck...the turnover is high and you will get hours
Cons
management does as little as possible, management will not help with lines, management will call maintenance to pick up a piece of paper off the floor instead of doing it, management will short drawers and then complain about the cashiers not doing their jobs right, management takes extended lunches for hours at a time away from the store
Avoid like the plague or waste your life!
Fuel Delivery Driver (Former Employee) –  Hammond, LAJune 29, 2016
This company could care less about you as a driver! Work your tail off for them and they treat you like garbage. Unless ofcourse if you have your nose stuck up some ones brown eye! Like a certain Pennsylvania driver i know who cant read a map pr pump off a load! But yet is a lead driver! Typical do as i say not as i do altitude. Loves is closing in on this garbage company! I just cant believe i was stupid enough to waste 8 years of my life with this bottom feeder trucking outfit!
Pros
None really

2.9