Pilot Flying J Employee Reviews

Decent job offering many jobs.
Restaurant Manager (Current Employee) –  NebraskaJanuary 31, 2017
This company has a reputation for always hiring, and depending on the location, position, and experience, one can start at a pretty decent hourly wage. The work is very demanding at all levels and the environment can be overwhelming and very stressful. This job will definitely not provide for all your needs unless you are working in corporate management or have more than one income coming in for your household. The benefits are decent and the job culture can be very welcoming at certain locations.
Pros
Discount on lunches, easy to get hired, store discounts at Christmas, bonus structure for upper management
Cons
Stressful and overwhelming, pay can be low for the demands and expectations required of team members, inconsistency between corporate management and store level management
it is a fast paced business and many opportunities to advance with a little hard work.
Guest Sevice Leader (Current Employee) –  Kansas City, MONovember 19, 2016
They expect one person to do the work load of three or four people. They offer very little as far as comendations for jobs well done. They do offer insurance and education assistance. It is always exciting going to work because you have the opportunity to meet several diverse people and there is never a dull moment. The management team is normally there to assist you when needed, but sometimes they are way to busy to deal with some of the cashiers. For the past 7 years I have enjoyed my job there because I was able to apply the skills I have in management and training.
Pros
Great benefits
Cons
Expectations of company for employees work expectations are unrealistically outrageous.
Work you to death
Baker (Current Employee) –  Brooks, ORFebruary 5, 2017
If you go to work for Pilot be prepared to work 6 days a week to get your 30 hours a week. They have benefits after you have worked for 60 days.
The best thing about the place in the people. They make it worth the time you put in. The truck drivers are the most awesome people.
Management is demanding and unyielding. If you screw up once you mine as well look for a new job. Do not ever plan on calling out sick or without Transportation. They will come pick you up for your shift. If you call out sick make sure you get Doctors notes.
If they had a different Management Team it would be the best job in the world.
Pros
Cons
worked to death
Very hectic work place
Maintence (Former Employee) –  Pontoon Beach, ILNovember 3, 2016
There is a lot going on all the time, with little time to do it. They go through a lot of workers because they ask too much out of everyone. Therefore if you stick with the company, you can move up fast. Management that are hired in put in little effort to help employees. Co-workers that have moved into management are very helpful because they know the struggle and are actually there for you. Train you very vaguely then throw you into the wolves.

**Maintenance workers will have to change the trash along the diesel pumps that haven't been changed since the day before, so they will packed full and rip, and are overflowing with bags of trucker URINE that will drip all over you**
Pros
Fast Advancements
Cons
Working here sucks and they know it so they hire anybody, Therefore not many people work there for very long.
Great place to meeet a different varitey of people and culture.
Manager (Former Employee) –  Evanston, WYFebruary 12, 2017
Typical day at work was very pleasant and enjoyable.
I learned a great deal about how a corporate company works. Management taught me alot and thats why I got chosen to be a manager. Very varied culture, it was different. Hardest part of the job I think was trying to make guests happy and them not wanting to be made happy. The most enjoyable part was meeting different people from different parts of the country.
Pros
Enjoyable crew of people to work with.
Cons
Not long enough lunch times.
Worst company to work for!
Cashier/Customer Service (Former Employee) –  TexasAugust 28, 2016
At first this company seems like a nice place to work for. But after some time you being to see its true colors. The management and " supervisors " are terrible the employee's run the store and do whatever they want. The pay is is ridicules for what they expect you to do while they have employees who do nothing while you do their work plus you're own and any complaints and possible raises or promotions are brushed under the rug.
Pros
None!
Cons
Bad pay, no team effort, And NO CHANCE OF GROWING WITH THE COMPANY
pilot flying j is a great company because they are productive and amazing to work for.
Maintenance (Former Employee) –  Moriarty, NMSeptember 19, 2016
A typical day at work for me is always being polite and kind to my customers. What i have learned is the things go alot smoother when you get things done it just makes everything so much easier. My management was okay they knew what they were doing and they were professional about most things. I got along with all my co-workers everyone was friendly and made me feel like i was at home. and the most enjoyable part about my job is just getting to work i love working all day every day.
Pros
50% off food items
benefits
Constant customer flow and great internal promotions.
Cashier and Shift Leader (Former Employee) –  Findlay, OHJanuary 2, 2017
The facility is also a Greyhound bus stop location. The location issues Greyhound bus tickets, so all employees typically receive a run through what the correct process is to create a bus ticket. The business flow is constant with the travel customers, the truck customers, the local customers, and the Greyhound customers. The management for the company past the facility (Regional and District Management) is subpar. Favorites were a problem and that inhibited the possibility of a better management system. Thankfully, what I learned from the General Manager is information that will be used for years to come. The pay rate was low for a shift leader considering the tasks and responsibilities are pretty serious for this type of business unit. The company is great at internal promotions. The upper management value the time and loyalty their employees have given and it is shown through the ambition to promote internally.
Pros
Stability as a shift leader, great internal promotion, fastpace work environment
Cons
The company's scandal of not paying back the fuel rebates to many contracted companies, moral for the company is not the best, inconsistent hours as a cashier
Fast paced environment services for OTR drivers
General Manager Designate (Former Employee) –  NebraskaFebruary 18, 2017
Very fast paced environment. Typically short staffed. Facilities vary from location to location. If you're motivated their management training programs are outstanding. Lots of opportunities for advancement, but must be willing to work very hard and produce results.
Pros
Great training, support teams and upper management are great
Cons
Labor budget constraints.
Bit of a mixed experience.
Sales Clerk (Former Employee) –  Lordsburg, NMSeptember 8, 2016
While the hours and what was asked of employees wasn't necessarily daunting, I believe the experience I had working there was a bit lessened due to one particular co-worker whose behavior, attitude, and lack of professionalism inevitably led to my abrupt decision to cease working there. I was made to scrub the floor with bleach by this individual...which wouldn't have been a last straw if I'd at least been treated with common courtesy and respect throughout my employment.

The days were easy enough. I was pregnant at the time, but even with the morning sickness, my duties were reasonable and easy to take care of.

Typical restocking of food and drink stations, food prep for select on-the-go meal items, and preparing coffee. Cleaning, sweeping, mopping, and keeping displays organized. There were fun little competitive sails during promotional events that kept things interesting.

It was a 24/7 truckstop as well as a weighing station with a Western Union service.
Pros
Lunch Break, One Free 32oz drink each shift
Cons
You can't choose who you work with.
Decent but not great
Manager (Former Employee) –  Fort Pierce, FLNovember 23, 2016
Store management are good at what they do, but the upper management act like they don't care to some degree. Truck driver are more of headaches.
Pros
Great workers
Cons
Raises hard to get
Fast paced, high volume. Fuel, food, C-store items, several franchises in travel centers, professional OTR drivers is main revenue for company.
General Manager (Former Employee) –  Big Springs, NEJanuary 16, 2017
Over all supportive of team members. Not a lot of hours for labor though. Fast paced, hard work. Everything from cleaning restrooms to P&L reports.
Pros
Great benefits, fast track promotions.
Cons
Really low employee retention rate.
Fun working environment
Manager (Current Employee) –  Channelview, TXJanuary 20, 2017
Working for flying j has really changed my life in a matter of a year! I opened up with the company and because of my great attitude and ability to work well with people and manage time efficiently, i was moved up with the company as a manger. The company offers great benefits and a very fun, fast paced environment to work in. I get to interact with many different people from around the world on a daily basses. I enjoy my employer and everything they have too offer. I have learned so much throughout the year that i have been here and am excited to acquire more life skills from this job.
Pros
good benefits. friendly environment. good pay.
Cons
open 24/7.
fun work place
Cashier/Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Tyler, TXOctober 1, 2016
I liked working there the only bad thing was management. They promise raises and don't go thru with them. Working there was great because it was always busy made time go fast. I love the costumers good work environment.
Pretty good pay, but no room for advancement
Retail Sales Specialist (Current Employee) –  ksSeptember 27, 2016
I have been employed for over three years with PIlot. I took my current position because it was vacant for 3 months and no one wanted it. This company will work you to the bone without any recognition. They are also pretty big on discrimination towards women and breast feeding mothers. fo
Pros
never boring, pay, coworkers, breaks
Cons
management, no room for advancement, horrible morale, hours cut constantly for all nonmanagement
No job is almost better than working at Pilot!
Guest Service Leader (Former Employee) –  Wasco, ORJanuary 23, 2017
If you want to work at a place where mediocrity is promoted than you have found your ideal job. Management is flat out rude to employees and customers. Try to change the public perception by being respectful and helpful... you get removed. It is a job where the truck drivers matter but get trashed talked as soon as they are out of sight. Do you have a degree in Management? Have fun using that at Pilot they target those that do not fit the low intellectual mold they promote into middle management. The grievance reporting line states there should be no retaliation. I know of three people who have ever used it and they where all terminated within three months of placing the call. Run... Stay Away... Horrible Employer!
Pros
Some of the employees
Cons
Management, Attitudes, and Negative response to substantial issues.
not fun
Food Service Leader (Former Employee) –  Milford, CTFebruary 17, 2017
Pilot is a good place to work. The only problem is that everyone is plays around and does not pay attend to the customers. The management staff is horrible. It is easy to get angry and fired. Otherwise it is a good company to work for.
Pros
guaranteed hours
Cons
management, never flexible with your needs
not a good long term job.
Guest Service Leader (Former Employee) –  Peculiar, MOFebruary 2, 2017
when you get into management it becomes a black hole that will consume all your personal life and eat away at family life.
Pros
discounted meals, decent benifits.
Cons
can barely take full breaks, lazy employees, hire anyone off the streets, no background check or drug test.
Productive and safety oriented work environment with good benefits and good pay
Truck Driver Class A (Former Employee) –  North Salt Lake, UTJanuary 26, 2017
A typical day at Pilot Flying J was long but enjoyable. Management treated employees fairly. The workplace culture was hardworking but fun. The hardest part of the job was unstable weather conditions.
Terrible place to work
Cashier (Former Employee) –  Springfield, MOJanuary 17, 2017
The store as a whole is #1 in the company. There are many good employees who make that happen. If we were happy employees we could surpass anyone's expectations. The attitudes of certain managers is appalling. They are incredibly rude to customers and employees. Downright hateful most of the time. Their negativity makes me dread going to work. The schedule changes frequently so you have to take the time to look at it daily, even on your days off because they won't tell you. You have plans? too bad. The female management and shift leads, with the exception of Dawn G, are some of the worst managers I have ever worked for.
Don't make any mistakes because the smallest mistake is a major problem. For example you cash out a transaction where they have to simply do an easy refund and rering is like a major catastrophe and they will humiliate you, chastise you in front of customers because you have greatly inconvenienced them.
Pros
50% meal discount
Cons
Poor management

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Pilot Flying J. Our community is ready to answer.

2.9