Pilot Flying J Employee Reviews in United States

a very stressful place to work.
Retail Cashier (Former Employee) –  Knoxville, TNMarch 4, 2016
The raining was spotty at best. I would work very long shifts, due to poor scheduling, consistently. I did learn how to be very quick and efficient because of this. The most enjoyable part of the job was my customers.
Pros
I was getting overtime.
Cons
I was poorly trained, and expected to work long hours and overtime without my prior consent.
Great place to gain experience
Guest Service Supervisor (Current Employee) –  Osceola, IAMarch 12, 2016
I worked as the overnight guest service manager. A typical night would go with my one cashier and I cleaning all machines, coffee pots, ect. up front. Then, ( because there is no maintenance or deli on overnights) you can't forget to keep those showers clean and open for guests and fresh food out to sale! Since I started working at Pilot I have learned so much about the drivers on the road and what a day in their shoes is like. It is amazing how far a sincere smile and caring tone goes for these guests who have been on the road for hours, some may seem mean at first but they just want someone to listen! Management at the pilot I have been working at is very minimal. There must be a manager to cover each shift (three beings how it's a 24 hr. store) and there are only 4 managers at said store, which puts a major strain on everything. Most of the team members all work well with each other and keep it a positive environment, but the day shift does tend to be the more "dramatic" shift. The hardest part of the job for me was having to work 10- 13 hour days and having to stay even when ill. The most enjoyable part was truly all of the great conversations you get to engage in with guests. It's great to meet new people and make fun memories while working!
Pros
Two ten-minute breaks that are paid each 8 hour shift
Cons
Unpredictable work schedule
Fast paced, friendly environment
Cashier Lead (Current Employee) –  Barstow, CAApril 3, 2016
Process fuel and merchandise transactions with various forms of payment methods. Stocking/cleaning store and maintaining high standards. Friendly service and prompt assistance. Relate-able co-workers. I wouldn't say there was a hard part to my job, but dealing with the corporate calls for fuel cards can sometimes be tedious when there are customers waiting to be served. The most enjoyable part of my day is getting to know all the customers the come regularly and getting the new ones to smile or laugh. The customers demand the best version of yourself and I love delivering.
Pros
Customers and co-workers
Cons
Calls to corporate companies for fuel resolutions
A solid paying Job but has very poor managerial skills.
Maintenance (Current Employee) –  Casper, WYNovember 6, 2015
In a typical Month my schedule can change 4 to 5 times. Prerequested days off are not taken into consideration. The building is old and extremely need updating. and the gasoline, diesel, and propane fumes have made me sick since the day i started. I have learned how to work by myself as the only maintenance man for nights. I have learned to balance my time on individual tasks. likely the hardest part of the job is balancing how much time you have to the importance of the tasks at hand. I love the freedom of working maintenance because although i am trying to make the customer happy I do not have to sit or stand behind a desk. i love the on hand work of the facility. i like to repair and do things by hand rather than to ring customers up on a register.
Pros
$10 an hour
Cons
Avoid like the plague or waste your life!
Fuel Delivery Driver (Former Employee) –  Hammond, LAJune 29, 2016
This company could care less about you as a driver! Work your tail off for them and they treat you like garbage. Unless ofcourse if you have your nose stuck up some ones brown eye! Like a certain Pennsylvania driver i know who cant read a map pr pump off a load! But yet is a lead driver! Typical do as i say not as i do altitude. Loves is closing in on this garbage company! I just cant believe i was stupid enough to waste 8 years of my life with this bottom feeder trucking outfit!
Pros
None really
Cons
Not to bad for what it is
Shift leader (Former Employee) –  Whiteland, INSeptember 14, 2015
I worked at two different stores. Management depends on the store. Raises were not great when I worked there. Jumping around in hours suck but that's all retail like stores
Pros
Work enviroement never gets boring
Cons
People are kind of rude at times
Productive working place with many possibilities to grow within.
Deli Host/ Cashier (Former Employee) –  Oklahoma City, OKAugust 12, 2015
While working at Pilot Flying J a typical day for me would start at about 5 a.m. Monday thru Friday ending at 1 p.m. . I would come in stock the deli display refrigerator, then I would stock all coffee supplies as needed. After doing so I would clean up my work area and greet customers upon entrance and exit until 9 a.m. . After 9 a.m. I would then do a deli pull for the next day and get everything restocked for the next shift. By 11 a.m. I would help cashiers upon request or as needed. Working at Pilot allowed me to build better people skills along with becoming a good salesman. The management was also and caring and very understanding. My c0-workers welcomed me with open arms from the beginning to the end. The hardest part of the job most definitely was dealing with the grumpy truck drivers, never once did that affect how I treated they were always welcomed with open arms. The most enjoyable part of the job was knowing I was capable of making their day as easy as possible.
Pros
discounted meals, great benefits.
Cons
short break.
Unprofessional Management
Cashier (Current Employee) –  North CarolinaJanuary 30, 2016
When interviewing for this position it sounded to good to be true and this turned out to be the case! The management was rude, defiling, and just plain immature. Examples being not putting certain people on schedule, cutting your hours trying to push employees out, and being drama between the staff! Truly disappointed.
Pros
breaks
Cons
rude management
Great place to work for young adults
Cashier (Current Employee) –  Dalton, GAOctober 26, 2015
Usually pretty steady with customers traveling and drivers coming in to get fuel. In this job, I have learned how to operate different types of machines that ables me to be more productive in my job. The management is pretty strong. Only issue with it, is that when the schedule is made by the manager, he doesn't pay attention to any work/school schedule that his employees give him. He schedules them to work when they can't and when something is said, he acts like he doesn't care or gets upset because you can't work. Co-workers are awesome. We all usually work pretty good together and get a lot accomplished in a days work. The hardest part of the job is learning how to do the job. Once you learn how to do the job, it is pretty easy. The most enjoyable part of the job is interacting with different people and being able to make someone's day with a simple smile.
Fun place to work as long as your putting in the work.
Cashier, Night Lead (Former Employee) –  Cheyenne, WYFebruary 16, 2016
If I wasn't working the cashier then I was stocking or cleaning. I always stayed busy and kept on my toes. Management was very flexible to those who were there and willing to stay busy.
Pros
If you stay busy the day's go by fast
Cons
Can't work overtime usually
management needs improvement
Coffee Hostess/Cashier (Former Employee) –  Vandalia, OHMarch 22, 2016
the work was fine, met drivers from all over the place. management w as the only issue. mine were inconsiderate and not very professional at times.
Fast friendly and clean!
Sandwich Artist (Former Employee) –  Elizabethtown, KYJuly 14, 2016
On a typical work day at Pilot I come in and look at what needs to be done on our deployment chart and what position I will be handling. Once I do that I return to the kitchen area and look to see what items need to be prepared. If nothing needs to be done in the kitchen, I return to the front line and help the co-workers with customers. The most enjoyable part of my job is being able to interact with co-workers and putting a smile on our customers faces.
waiting onpromotion
deli shift leader (Current Employee) –  Jackson, TNJanuary 5, 2016
I like working there been waiting on promotions for a year now. Been there almost two years . love making pizza keeping shift running smoothly. like running the register when needed. Been shift leader for over year now been waiting on deli manager which thought was getting the promotion in November,
Pros
50 percent discount on deli items when u work
Cons
still waiting on promatiojn
Its retail
guest services (Former Employee) –  CADecember 11, 2015
Overall its not a bad company to work for. The pay is low, and the truck drivers are hit and miss. Some are really down to earth guys and gals and others, well, they are rude disgusting human beings, but thats anywhere you work.Its fast paced and can be a little tricky at times. Learn the registers as best as you can. Dont bother taking complaints to management as they dont really care and if you call the alert line, it gets funneled to the manager so it still doesn't get addressed.
Productive and fun making sandwiches.
Sandwich Artist (Former Employee) –  Tucson, AZJuly 20, 2016
It was fun making sandwiches and getting to know many meats. But they were making me do nothing but dishes. The management there was really bad.. They had way too much workers and they still kept hiring. The hardest part of the job would probably be being in the back doing dishes for hours and hours. It would get frustrating. Id enjoy making the customers laugh and making them a delicious meal.
Pros
Half off
Cons
Bad hours
A very friendly and fast going place
Food Service Leader (Current Employee) –  Jasper, FLJanuary 27, 2016
Pilot took took me and turned me into a super star. I love going to work doing my job and teaching people all that I know.My day consists of me laughing smiling and making every customer feel as if they are home.I feel as if you can have the worst day but after you come and see me, I am going to find a way to make you smile, leave a great impression on you and guarantee you will return.I love when people just come in and say wheres the crispy bacon girl , or you should be a car salesman. I even have people come in with job offers.
Pros
You get half off on your food
Cons
You can not get over 40 hours no matter what
Hard Work Pays Off
Travel Center General Manager (Current Employee) –  WyomingMarch 7, 2015
Great career company. Awesome benefits to those that are in for the long haul. Really long days and they require a ton out of you. This is high level focused and detailed management. It you are a chair surfer this is not the job for you. You are engaged almost every minute. You will learn a ton in this position and it WILL pay off in your in it for a career. However, it is NOT for the weak at heart. You spend a ton of time, and effort each and every day. Don't plan on anything and have a family that supports your work and understands your requirement and commitment and you will do just fine.
Pros
compensation
Cons
work-life balance
If you love fast paced environments this is the job for you.
Retail Sales Specialist/Guest Service Manager (Current Employee) –  Salina, KSJuly 31, 2015
Flying J is a great company to work for. Many opportunities for advancement when effort is put forth by employee! Jobs include, cashier, maintenance and deli. Also management positions. Professional drivers appreciate all you do to help their day flow smoothly and travelers like the variety of products Flying J offers.
Pros
Fast paced, customers are awesome!
Cons
Being open 24/7/365 there are several schedule changes and demands to be met.
Customers kinda suck but the company itself isn't too bad.
Cashier (Former Employee) –  Graham, NCMarch 4, 2016
Not a bad place overall. Some locations provide hot, fresh food so besides having to ring up usual gas station items you sometimes have to stop and grab other food and package it properly. My location serves pizza so there's a lot going on. Product knowledge helps a lot, learn the prices of things, know where they are and you're good. Mostly. The main complaint I would have is the customers. Working at a truck stop you'll meet a lot of different people and a lot of them are hard to appreciate. You'll see the stereotypical truck driver, hasn't showered in months if not more, bad attitudes. Here's your warning; some of these people will be downright nasty sometimes. Whether it's because you have no coffee and they are obviously a king in some foreign land and you are stupid for having no coffee when you're the only one there, or you could meet a very nice person who genuinely appreciates the stress of working such a high volume, fast paced job. It's honestly in how you handle the situations you might find yourself in.

TL;DR
Company/ OK
Customers/ Not So Much
Pros
30 minute lunch, 2 10 minute breaks
Exciting and fun place to work and grow as a team
Cashier/Customer Service (Former Employee) –  Sturbridge, MAJanuary 29, 2016
There was no such thing as a typical day at Pilot. There was always something going on, and in a good way. It was very fun working with all the other employees there. We all worked so great together as a team as well. I learned a lot there as well. Like team building skills, working with others, cashing checks, doing the CAT scale for tractor trailer trucks, how to deal with very angry customers (not just my customers but customers the other cashiers had as well) each unsatisfied customer usually left happy though. I always had a happy and upbeat attitude, when you work at a place like that, you need to remember, you might be the only interaction that that person has had for weeks. Truck drivers sometimes drive weeks on end with only stopping for gas. I wanted each and every one of them to have a good experience coming in. The hardest part of the job was when it was slow, I like work more fast-paced. I just used the time to clean and organize though.

2.9