Pilot Flying J Employee Reviews in United States

great place to work.
cashier (Former Employee) –  Moriarty, NMMarch 9, 2016
This was a great place to work. very clean,very organized.Bobbi is an amazing manager. I like the fact that it was very organized and i had a set schedule.
Horrible workplace experience
cashier (Former Employee) –  Benton Harbor, MIMarch 7, 2016
horrible working conditions, unorganized, unprofessional, rude, its all unnecessary, no team work, unfair, treat you like dirt
Pros
half on lunch items
Cons
short breaks and lunches
People leave managers, not companies.
Retail Sales Specialist II (Current Employee) –  Ripon, CAMarch 5, 2016
Previously I enjoyed my manager, however with poor corporate hire policies (which focus more on years rather than results) i've been forced to work with and carry subpar employees and receive reprimand for the mistakes of those above me.
Pros
30min lunches, not paid instead of 1hr unpaid
Cons
Lack of quality and consistent management
Customers kinda suck but the company itself isn't too bad.
Cashier (Former Employee) –  Graham, NCMarch 4, 2016
Not a bad place overall. Some locations provide hot, fresh food so besides having to ring up usual gas station items you sometimes have to stop and grab other food and package it properly. My location serves pizza so there's a lot going on. Product knowledge helps a lot, learn the prices of things, know where they are and you're good. Mostly. The main complaint I would have is the customers. Working at a truck stop you'll meet a lot of different people and a lot of them are hard to appreciate. You'll see the stereotypical truck driver, hasn't showered in months if not more, bad attitudes. Here's your warning; some of these people will be downright nasty sometimes. Whether it's because you have no coffee and they are obviously a king in some foreign land and you are stupid for having no coffee when you're the only one there, or you could meet a very nice person who genuinely appreciates the stress of working such a high volume, fast paced job. It's honestly in how you handle the situations you might find yourself in.

TL;DR
Company/ OK
Customers/ Not So Much
Pros
30 minute lunch, 2 10 minute breaks
a very stressful place to work.
Retail Cashier (Former Employee) –  Knoxville, TNMarch 4, 2016
The raining was spotty at best. I would work very long shifts, due to poor scheduling, consistently. I did learn how to be very quick and efficient because of this. The most enjoyable part of the job was my customers.
Pros
I was getting overtime.
Cons
I was poorly trained, and expected to work long hours and overtime without my prior consent.
Working with individuals with mental and physical disabilities
Cashier (Former Employee) –  Clear Lake, IAFebruary 25, 2016
I enjoyed working with the individual and to getting to know them. I also made some really good bonds with a lot of the individuals there. I also made some really good friends with the other staff members there.
Pros
Working with the individuals and gaining bonds with many of them
Cons
nothing really
good
Store Manager (Former Employee) –  Franklin, KYFebruary 21, 2016
The company is good and pays well. They can work with you. Good starter job. They pay pretty well. I dont have much more to say. I am tired of typing.
Veried job duties
General Manager (Former Employee) –  Knoxville, TNFebruary 18, 2016
Days are long but very fun
Days are always full very little down time
24hr business with several 100 commercial customers depending on your services
Pros
main duties to help customers in disress
Cons
often your job is looked on badly by the some of your customers
Fun place to work as long as your putting in the work.
Cashier, Night Lead (Former Employee) –  Cheyenne, WYFebruary 16, 2016
If I wasn't working the cashier then I was stocking or cleaning. I always stayed busy and kept on my toes. Management was very flexible to those who were there and willing to stay busy.
Pros
If you stay busy the day's go by fast
Cons
Can't work overtime usually
Fun job dealing with public
Co-manager (Former Employee) –  Clinton, SCFebruary 13, 2016
I learned to deal with turnover of employees. The hardest part of the day was making sure we had enough coverage to run a good shift. The most enjoyable part was customer service.
Pros
good benefits
Cons
to much turnover
Very nice place and people
Prep and Grill (Current Employee) –  Lebanon, OHFebruary 11, 2016
Great work atmosphere. Nice coworkers. Clean place just hired to many people and not giving hours that are needed. Not their fault business is slow just opening this site.
Pros
great people
Cons
pay for meals half price
Driver/Operator (Current Employee) –  Salt Lake City, UTFebruary 9, 2016
the company is a great company, just need dayshift hours, working for this company is good and the money is great, days can be long and can also be short
Pros
na
Cons
na
High Stress Environment. Fast work pace. Customer Service
Co-Manager/Store Manager (Current Employee) –  Chillicothe, OHFebruary 8, 2016
This job is solely based on providing excellent customer service to OTR Truck Drivers and traveling customers.
This Company promoted me from within and developed my management career.
Pilot put me through a Phase 1 management training course, Management development course and Serve Safe (due to becoming a deli Manager)
I feel the hardest part of the job has been spreading myself so thin so as to maintain the overall comfort of staff and Customers.
The most enjoyable part of my job has been the relationships that I have built over the years with the people that I have come in contact with, including regular customers and co-workers that have become life long friends.
Unprofessional management
Cashier (Former Employee) –  Inver Grove Heights, MNFebruary 3, 2016
Management favors some employees over others. Hires a person multiple times, even though they walked out while on shift or quit without notice. The most difficult part of the job is keeping your job.
The drivers were fun and my coworkers were hard working for the most part.
Cashier (Former Employee) –  Summerville, SCFebruary 2, 2016
The drivers kept the lines pumping and the conversations flowing. It was good to speak to people from all over the US and Canada. I learned a lot about check cashing and operating a register. The hardest part of the job was dealing with the GM. She treated everybody like garbage and cared only about sitting in her office in the back and not being disturbed by employees or customers. The most aggravating part of the job was hearing the GM ask over the com if the restrooms smelled when all she had to do was walk over and check for herself. Apply only if you have no other option. Pilot will welcome you with open arms, chew you up and spit you out without a care in the world.
Pros
a paycheck...the turnover is high and you will get hours
Cons
management does as little as possible, management will not help with lines, management will call maintenance to pick up a piece of paper off the floor instead of doing it, management will short drawers and then complain about the cashiers not doing their jobs right, management takes extended lunches for hours at a time away from the store
Unprofessional Management
Cashier (Current Employee) –  North CarolinaJanuary 30, 2016
When interviewing for this position it sounded to good to be true and this turned out to be the case! The management was rude, defiling, and just plain immature. Examples being not putting certain people on schedule, cutting your hours trying to push employees out, and being drama between the staff! Truly disappointed.
Pros
breaks
Cons
rude management
Fun
Cashier/Maintenance/ DSC (Driver Service Champion) (Former Employee) –  Perrysburg, OHJanuary 29, 2016
Fun people to work with, fun to talk with the customers, and a very productive job. The workers are nice, full of energy, and just fun to hangout with.
Exciting and fun place to work and grow as a team
Cashier/Customer Service (Former Employee) –  Sturbridge, MAJanuary 29, 2016
There was no such thing as a typical day at Pilot. There was always something going on, and in a good way. It was very fun working with all the other employees there. We all worked so great together as a team as well. I learned a lot there as well. Like team building skills, working with others, cashing checks, doing the CAT scale for tractor trailer trucks, how to deal with very angry customers (not just my customers but customers the other cashiers had as well) each unsatisfied customer usually left happy though. I always had a happy and upbeat attitude, when you work at a place like that, you need to remember, you might be the only interaction that that person has had for weeks. Truck drivers sometimes drive weeks on end with only stopping for gas. I wanted each and every one of them to have a good experience coming in. The hardest part of the job was when it was slow, I like work more fast-paced. I just used the time to clean and organize though.
A very friendly and fast going place
Food Service Leader (Current Employee) –  Jasper, FLJanuary 27, 2016
Pilot took took me and turned me into a super star. I love going to work doing my job and teaching people all that I know.My day consists of me laughing smiling and making every customer feel as if they are home.I feel as if you can have the worst day but after you come and see me, I am going to find a way to make you smile, leave a great impression on you and guarantee you will return.I love when people just come in and say wheres the crispy bacon girl , or you should be a car salesman. I even have people come in with job offers.
Pros
You get half off on your food
Cons
You can not get over 40 hours no matter what
overwork for demands and unjust pay. Senority means nothing to the company.
Supervisor (Former Employee) –  Port Wentworth, GAJanuary 22, 2016
Does not really care about the striving employee only upper management. Unfair pay and work hours very high employee turnover. Extensive workload for pay. Pay is unjust it is according to how much management likes you and you are willing to snitch and turn against fellow employees.
Pros
Have worked with some awesome cashiers within my 11-year span.
Cons
Unfaiir pay. Senority means nothing to the company. High employee turnover.