Pilot Media Employee Reviews

No plan in place to stop the decline
Outside Sales Representative (Former Employee) –  Norfolk, VAJanuary 22, 2018
Done to the bare bones, everyone doing more for less pay. Management very reactive than proactive that could have helped salvage some of the print business - be it older customers but even that base is in decline and younger readers dont go to the disjointed website. A select few were making goal - the older reps and the one's handed the best remaining territories. When I was there only the one's that had all the accounts survived and the digital team was in disarray and clickish, to not question them to do more than the basics.
Pros
Good co-workers
Cons
Management - very top to bottom
The people make the Pilot a special place
Advertising Sales and Marketing Executive (Current Employee) –  Norfolk, VAAugust 12, 2015
The Pilot is a great place to work if you are interested in a outside sales position. Meeting with businesses to discuss their marketing plans and how you can help them grow business tends to be a very rewarding job.
Pros
Flexible hours
Cons
A ton of products that you have to learn
great job, very labor intensive
Packaging Handler (Current Employee) –  Norfolk, VANovember 4, 2014
Job is great, but I need full time permanent job closer to home.
Steady workplace
Web Designer (Current Employee) –  Norfolk, VAJune 16, 2014
Overall a great place to work and they provide a lot of training.
Fast Paced, Demanding, High Pressure Sales
Retail Inside Sales Manager (Former Employee) –  Norfolk, VANovember 8, 2013
Formerly a great work environment, and most recently many changes in structure and management has caused much tension and apprehensiveness. There are some genuinely wonderful and talented people in that company, and if the world of advertising and newspapers wasn't so unstable, perhaps it would be better.
Pros
Talented colleagues, great staff
Cons
Micro-managing, lack of funds
Liked working with co-workers contractors and public.
District Manager (Current Employee) –  Virginia Beach, VAOctober 23, 2013
I was responsible for running the contractors mail, route smarts(this was a delivery list of who gets a paper). Doing reports for single copy. Letting a center know the amounts of out of town publications to send us each day (such as Washington Post, Daily Press, Wall Street Journals,ect. Opening center for contractors to come in and ask questions concerning there routes. Passing out papers and doing close out. Doing any debits or credits. Enjoyed all of this except when a contractor did not show to deliver.
Pros
Great healthcare and benefits
Cons
Worked nine hours a day with no breakfast break, throw routes on your day off, and you didn't get paid overtime.
The Virginian Pilot
Retail Inside Sales Manager (Current Employee) –  Norfolk, VAFebruary 20, 2013
I really enjoy working with the people and the nature of the world of Advertising. I am a risk taker, innovative and a highly ambitious professional that lights up a room when I walk in. I have experience in print, online and social media. My colleagues are just as committed, and I'll miss them most when I leave.
Pros
our brand and reputation in the community
Cons
changes in market, changes in compensation