Pilsen Wellness Center Employee Reviews

Brace yourself
Office Manager (Current Employee) –  Chicago, ILNovember 13, 2017
By far the worst management ever. Lowest paid job. All they care about is billing Medicaid and not the health of the patients. The hr dept very poor. Corp office bunch of racist who all kno each other personally.
Laughing and educating the clients
Support specialist (Former Employee) –  Chicago, ILApril 7, 2017
A typical day at work is entering a place with a warm environment. A place that is dedicated to assisting and advocating for it's clients. I can learn from the client's by listening to what they have to say.
Pros
Outings
Cons
Unhappy management
Good
Psychotherapist (Former Employee) –  Chicago, ILMarch 10, 2017
Good colleagues,interesting population. It's difficult with clients who have dual diagnoses e, however, the substance abuse and the mental health teams work well together to provide the best care possible for each one. the communication between teams is imperative and the results are often positive, regarding the clients.
good workplace
Program Administrator/ In-person counselor (Former Employee) –  Chicago, ILFebruary 9, 2017
Never had any problems. Work days were mostly productive and everybody did their part. I liked to come into work because my co workers were really nice and supportive.
If you like waking up and debating if it's really worth it....it is not
Mental Health Professional (Former Employee) –  Chicago, ILDecember 22, 2016
Everything was fine until our program underwent a drastic change in management. New director did not care whatsoever about the clients and their progress. We were told to bill, bill, and bill. Seemed like they only care about clients having medical coverage and being able to bill Medicaid. No room for growth and definitely no room to use your own clinical skills and make professional decisions.
Pros
Co-workers
Cons
Everybody else
Terrible Environment
Management (Former Employee) –  Chicago, ILSeptember 9, 2016
Worst experience of my life! Terrible management, deceptive practices, nepotism and no support or training for mid management. I would recommend you look elsewhere.
Unorganized
Program Coordinator (Former Employee) –  Chicago, ILMay 25, 2016
This place has a massive organizational issue when it comes to many of its department. Everyone does what they want, and it makes every project extremely slow. The office politics here are prominent, more than any other office I've worked at. Family members of the CEO are given positions they don't have qualifications for, and if this was a private entity that would be fine, but this is a Non-profit that depends on state funded grants. This explains why this place is poorly managed.
One of the worst companies, I've ever worked for.
Maintenance Engineer (Former Employee) –  Chicago, ILOctober 5, 2015
I find Pilsen Wellness Center to be one of the worst companies to work for... short lunch breaks, there's never any money in the budget for maintenance supplies. Management treats you like dirt! All other employees have no physical responsibilities. How lazy can you be not to wipe off your own desk... and nothing ever gets done unless you threaten to sue the company.
Pros
Sick days, vacation time, benefits
Cons
Short breaks, horrible management, unprofessional
Excellent place to work
Assistant Corporate Counsel (Current Employee) –  Chicago, ILJune 16, 2015
I would highly recommend working here; the culture, compensation and atmosphere is very collaborative in spirit. The hours are great as well.
The mission was in keeping with the NASW's code of ethics
Psychosocial Rehabilitation/Vocational Counselor (Former Employee) –  Chicago, ILApril 22, 2015
The agency had some difficulty with organizational cohesiveness, however overtime this was worked through. the Organization was very committed to the populations and community it served.
Pros
The organization was very committed to the community
Cons
Funding was very limited

Want to know more about Pilsen Wellness Center?

Ask a question
Poor Training, No Advancement, Inept Supervisors
Psychotherapist (Former Employee) –  ChicagoDecember 21, 2014
Complete lack of organization throughout the agency. Workers are encouraged to bill bill bill for services without regard for ethics or quality of service. Supervisors are ineffective and lack the authority to improve departments. Agency culture is secretive and non-inclusive. The only people who enjoy working for PWC are the CEO and his family who are littered throughout the agency.
Productive and enjoyable
Clerical (Former Employee) –  Chicago, ILMay 21, 2014
I volunteered here very often. Pilsen Wellness Center worked in helping young mothers care for their children by providing them with clothes, diapers, formula, etc. I learned that many young mothers need help caring for their kids
ugh
MHP (Former Employee) –  Chicago, ILMarch 5, 2014
I worked there entirely too long. I enjoyed the work I did & some of my co-workers were great. But the executive level was/is terrible. You're expected to bill, bill, bill without so much of a breather, bathroom break or other self-care. Seems to violate labor relations & pushes staff to be unethical by covering themselves to pad the billing just to avoid the negative consequences from the higher-ups.

I've seen first-hand the poor attitude that staff are expendable. They don't value anyone. I kept thinking it would get better with new staff. Never did. I'd avoid this place all costs. This is no exaggeration.
Great people to work with.
Office Manager (Former Employee) –  Brighton Park, IllinoisOctober 30, 2013
working with the community and seeing improvement on their mental health treatment was the best part of my job.
Pros
weekends, holidays off
Cons
hours I worked from 11am to 8pm
Co-workers are great but CEO & family beware!
Mental Health Professional (Current Employee) –  Chicago, ILMarch 6, 2013
At first everything seems normal but then you start realizing that the CEO has many family members and friends working for him. Second, with the same pay you enter you will probably retire unless you suck up and really try.
Third, they sabotage supervisors to fail and then workers. Their philosophy is to get new people every 6 months so they don't have to give raises and people don't catch on to their Medicaid fraud and grant fraud.
Fourth, and most important, with the high turn-over of employees, the people needing the services don't get the consistent help they need. Really sad how these people are just getting milked for their Medicaid card.
It is unfortunate, since many of the new employees have a great desire to make a difference. Those that have stayed longer have lost their spark to do something about it.
Work with supervisor
Accountant Internship (Former Employee) –  Chicago IllinoisFebruary 3, 2013
Accounting supervisor taught me how to pull out files and how to read invoices.
It was a productive and learning experience.
Co-Coordinator for Latino Youth Program (Former Employee) –  Chicago, ILSeptember 15, 2012
Pilsen Wellness is a great organization that helps out the community. I had great co- workers with great experience and learned a lot from them. The hardest part of the job was leaving the program b/c of lack of funds given to our designated youth program but i will gladly return if it where to open once more. I think the most enjoyable part of the job was seeing my students learning from our teachings.
Pros
freedom to teach as you wished but respectfully
Cons
management was very unorganized