Pima Community College

Pima Community College Employer Reviews

Fun learning environment.
EMT Voluntary Teachers Assistant (Former Employee), Tucson, AZSeptember 12, 2014
Pros: easy
Cons: some students are jerks
Flexible with your school schedule and you get to get paid to learn
Self Improving Job
Spanish/Writing Tutor (Former Employee), Tucson, AZJuly 6, 2014
Pros: one-on-one tutoring
Cons: lack of students at times, slow days
I enjoyed working at Pima, I had a very understanding boss and good hours. I worked alone but had fellow writing and Spanish tutors who had different shifts then I. We had closed off rooms with white boards and various learning tools and books as well could bring our own. We often had 1-5 students at a time and had to work in balance to accommodate – more... all the students with enough time. The only difficult part was if we had a difficult student, which was rare. I enjoyed working with others but also alone, There wasn't always students to tutor so we can work on our own home work or what ever we needed to do but still stay in our work area. – less
Fantastic Opportunity to Give Back To The Community!
CERTIFIED HIT INSTRUCTOR, ADJUNCT FACULTY (Current Employee), Tucson, AZJune 10, 2014
Pros: giving back to the community by teaching students relevant and viable skills
Cons: some instructors are not certified -see review
Fantastic Opportunity to Give Back To The Community!
Some Instructors are not certified to teach in a specific area and are unable to answer students questions about how the skills they are learning are relevant to the occupation they are training for. Additionally, some of these same instructors were never in the field for the course they are teaching – more... - – less
Fun classes, good instructors, terrible management
Adjunct faculty of Mathematics (Current Employee), Tucson, AZMay 26, 2014
Pros: students, faculty and staff members
Cons: administrators, culture of fear and retribution, nepotism
Plenty of great interaction with other faculty and students. I strive to create an all-inclusive, diversity-oriented classroom "culture". Wonderful students for the most part that are thirsty for caring, solid, knowledgeable instructors that CARE about them and their success. However, because the college has suffered through a culture of fear, discrimination, – more... and retribution, I have learned to be far more cautious and not voice my opinions or suggestions except to a few individuals that I personally trust in the college. Co-workers, faculty and staff are generally pleasant and very nice people to work with and I appreciate them a lot for all their support and services. However, dealing with so much corruption, fear, discrimination, lying, and politics at the administrative levels is very discouraging and depressing. Opportunities for advancement and/or being hired for permanent, full-time positions are very scarce and limited to who knows whom and to those that are considered "favorites" by the administrative staff. PCC is a great college, but does need an overhaul of top administrative personnel which also would be beneficial in lifting the college out of the probation placed by the Higher Learning Committee. – less
Great learning environment
Lab Technician (Former Employee), Tucson, AZDecember 17, 2013
Great place to interact with others and to learn. Little long in the approval process but worth it once you get in. Great benefits for full time positions and great coworkers.
Law and Order
Law Enforcement Officer (Former Employee), Tucson, AZDecember 1, 2013
Pros: schedule, co-workers
Cons: pay, benifits
This position was a very enjoyable position. I left for family reasons and have regretted it almost on a daily basis.
Adjunct Faculty is a Labor Love
Adjunct Faculty, Writing (Current Employee), Tucson, AZNovember 5, 2013
I have really enjoyed teaching at Pima Community College. Unfortunately, no benefits are available for adjunct faculty, which is why I'm looking elsewhere.
flexible work
Spanish Tutor (Former Employee), Tucson, AZOctober 26, 2013
Pros: teach students and learn in same time from students
Cons: cultural barriers
helped students learn Spanish, help me to learn different cultures with students from different countries.
Excellent personnel
Student Attending College (Current Employee), Tucson, AZAugust 21, 2013
Returning to school was an intimidating idea, which is what kept me from pursuing a higher education after high school. The experience has been amazing, challenging, fun and fulfilling.
Best place around
Adjunct, Spanish (Current Employee), Tucson, AZAugust 20, 2013
Pros: freedom at work; trust; efficiency due to competent staff.
Cons: needs more benefits for adjunct faculty.
Faculty outstanding. Staff outstanding. The rest is in line with most colleges.
Good way to give back and train those that need it
Instructor (Former Employee), Wilmot Rd educational locationAugust 4, 2013
Pros: good mission, good training
Cons: funding not guaranteed from yr to yr
I taught for the Pima cc prison program. My supervisor was the best I've ever had. He believed in his people and created a good team working spirit. Our mission was a good one: Training incarcerated adults so that they might have skills they never got a chance to have before. A new beginning for them.
Our federal funding for my part of the program was – more... discontinued and I found employment elsewhere.
Truly enjoyed working there and with the prison program staff. – less
Work-study good if you're a student
Student Aide (Former Employee), Tucson, AZJune 13, 2013
Best job I've ever had. Met a lot of new people every day. Pay is low but gives you time to work on your homework.
If you get a good manager - it will be wonderful.
Instructional Designer (Current Employee), Tucson, AZJune 6, 2013
Pros: educational opportunities, the community, the mission, the people
Cons: administration issues, politics
My manager was incredible, but the constant shifting of personnel at the administration level and the uncertainty it caused down the line in terms of the expectations for my department was difficult to deal with. In a little over a year of employment I had decided I would not want to advance to administration due to all of the political issues at that – more... level - and that was really what would be the next step from the position I had. Unfortunately bureaucracy is a common problem in education - and PCC just suffers more than most from the issues it can cause.

There are great people here though, lots of them, and great students. There are opportunities to learn in any job if you make them and plenty of opportunities to get training and education, all of which are really fantastic things. Had I not found a better position elsewhere I would have happily just stayed where I was and not worried about advancing.

My only other complaint is that like most public institutions, we were always trying to do too much but given too little to do it. The ambitions for our department are so high, but we were not given the things to deliver on those in many cases. And with the constant switching of people at the admin level - it never seemed to get resolved or anyone to be aware of it. – less
enjoy teaching part time
Adjunct Instructor in Mathematics (Current Employee), Tucson, AZMay 31, 2013
Pros: math, students
Cons: pay
I enjoy the subject matter and the students.Pima CC is a good place to work with access to up to date tools (e.g., SmartBoard).
A great FWS job to get homework done and work with different people
MUS Dept. Media Lab Coordinator (Former Employee), Tucson, AZMay 29, 2013
Pros: good time to get computer work done.
Cons: cabin fever.
A great FWS job to get homework done and work with different people.
Expect to drive around Tucson a bit.
Upward Bound Tutor (Former Employee), Tucson, AZFebruary 19, 2013
Going to a couple high schools and one of the Pima campuses isn't so bad, but waiting around for students to actually show up can be frustrating when you are being paid to be there in order to help them.
This was a great self-education opportunity.
Studio Engineer / Manager (Former Employee), Tucson, ArizonaJanuary 24, 2013
Pros: great opportunity to experiment and learn
Cons: college administration never funded the department adequately for all its expectations.
For all of the responsibility I had with this job, it was a terrific opportunity to learn and grow with the autonomous role I had. I designed and built the facilities, implemented all manner of video and computer technology to handle the functions required of the facility. We were pioneers of educational telecommunications, doing live and prerecorded – more... televised education and training via three major county-wide distribution systems. The budget was always inadequate for what we had to do so I had to be extra resourceful in engineering and developing software which was great for learning but eventually became frustrating because the budget never increased for all the good we were doing with thin resources. This environment was ill aware of TV technology and its requirements and I simply outgrew it. – less
Great place to work!
Instructional Computer Lab Specialist (Former Employee), Tucson, AZJanuary 4, 2013
Although career advancement opportunities are somewhat limited, there are many opportunities to experience higher-level jobs through acting positions. I loved the institution and the people with whom I worked.
custodian
ENVIORMENTAL SERVICE AIDE - (Former Employee), 1010 W 10th Street Tucson AZ 85710December 11, 2012
Kept all classrooms and facility clean. Dustinging, mopping, sweeping, strip and wax floors, trash out.
love pima
Interior Design (Former Employee), tucson azOctober 1, 2012
Pima is a great place to go the school and work. My job at pima was Ambassador and I would help students with anything they needed.