Pima Community College Employee Reviews in United States

summary
Dental Hygiene Student (Former Employee) –  dental hygiene clinicJuly 5, 2016
A typical day at Pima was Monday - Thursday. Monday and Thursday we had clinic from 7:30 am to 11:00am, class at 1:30-4:00 pm then clinic again from 5:30pm to 9:30 pm. Tuesday was internship day from 7:30 am to 5:30 pm. Wednesday we started at 1:00 pm with class until 4:00 pm and again clinic from 5:30 pm until 8:30 pm. I learned how to manage my time with patients, how to develop a treatment plan and review treatment with patients, place anesthesia if needed, place arrestin, perio chip and reviewed a laser treatment. We also learned how to hand scale patients without the use of the cavitron. The hardest part of clinic was managing the flow of patients in order to complete the number of patients needed in each semester. The most enjoyable part of my Pima was learning new things each day and feeling accomplished after finishing a patients treatment and receiving good feedback from the RDH staff, Doctor or patient.
Pros
Got a lot of hands on experience
Cons
long hours in a day
goood ob enviroment
Support Staff (Former Employee) –  Tucson, AZJune 16, 2016
I really enjoyed work this job, even though it is a seasonal job I really enjoyed

I cant wait next season start so I can work again there
Well productive work atmosphere
AmeriCorps State & National (Former Employee) –  Tucson, AZMay 12, 2016
Well above good work place to work, a good organization to be part of, good team work and good experience, meeting people, other organizations, helping students with schooling tutoring one on one and learning new things along the way by volunteering.
Pros
good learning experiences
Cons
need more people to learn and experience it
Productive and very fun place to work at
Student Services Aide (Former Employee) –  Tucson, AZApril 8, 2016
I was very pleased to have worked at the Pima Community College Student Services Center. The advisors are helpful and friendly and the students too. They have a good working team and the staff gets along well.
Pros
Advisor's help with school
Cons
minimum wage
Great work environment with lots or learning experiences.
Federal Work Study (Former Employee) –  Tucson, AZFebruary 22, 2016
I have been working as a Federal Work Study Student for a few months now and I have learned SO much. I have been exposed to many different aspects of the Fine Arts department as well as the inner workings of a gallery. Management is super friendly because you are working with professors in the department. I enjoy this job so much because you really feel welcome and even though you work hard the time flies by with good company. The one negative is that you are limited to work under 40 hours per period and you only get paid minimum wage with no opportunity for a raise. This is only because of the Work Study aspect by law.
Pros
Great experience, resume builder, relaxed, and fun.
Cons
low pay, no way to work up the ladder, short hours.
Employer Review
Support Technician, Adult Education (Current Employee) –  Tucson, AZFebruary 1, 2016
A typical day in my job includes providing customer service to teachers, staff, and students. I maintain and update all GED information. My co-workers are all very helpful and we work as a team to make sure all deadlines are met and our students are satisfied with all services that are being provided. I am a people person and being in the front line of the office is the most enjoyable part of my job.
Pros
Great team, variety in job duties, team atmosphere, helping students
Cons
Working evenings
I was very satisfied working with students.
Financial Aid Clerk (Former Employee) –  Tucson, AZJanuary 31, 2016
I helped students apply for FASA and government loans to help pay for their schooling. I also walked them through all the information they needed and emphasized how important it is not to default on a Student Loan. I was very pleased seeing the student graduate and seeing the smile on their faces on their accomplishments.
Pros
Informing students and the reward at the end.
Cons
Some students didnt geet to graduate and it was heart breakinng.
Great place to work!
Math Tutor (Current Employee) –  Tucson, AZNovember 10, 2015
Great environment and a fulfilling job! I like that I can help others and be able to learn new skills to advance. I also enjoy the satisfaction I receive when I help my coworkers and students.
Student Aid
Veterans Student Coordinator (Former Employee) –  Tucson, AZOctober 2, 2015
This job was very fulfilling because I got to help fellow vets. Co-workers were very enjoyable and it was a fun experience.
Fun and relaxedd place to work
STUDENT AID (Former Employee) –  Tucson, azOctober 1, 2015
I learned how to communicate better with coworkers and student, be more organized about documents and information.
My coworkers were very friendly and understanding when I needed to step out or had a test coming up
Pros
Flexiible Schedule
Cons
it was Work-study, not many work hours
Pima is toxic
Student Services Advanced Specialist (Current Employee) –  Student ServicesJune 27, 2015
I enjoy my responsibilities and I love the students. I am an expert in many areas of student services and I have taken initiative to learn everything possible about student success and service.

Management is fractured. Way to many "leaders" who are disconnected from student service. Decisions are reactive and ineffective, causing barriers and frustrations for employees and students.

I enjoy my colleagues. Most are passionate about students. There is very low morale, so many employees are running on empty, but still have enough to give the students a smile and genuine care and direction.

The hardest part of my job is working under a toxic institution. There is unfair hiring and promotion, favoritism, disrespect and division.

The most enjoyable part of my job is making a difference in the lives of my students, enjoying the friendships of my colleagues and feeling like I make a difference.
Pros
Great pay, benefits, retirement, and the sense that we make a big difference
Cons
Feeling disrespected and used by management
A great place conducive to personal and professional growth
Human Resources Support Specialist (Current Employee) –  Tucson, AZMay 4, 2015
Pima Community College is a place that encourages self-improvement in both your personal and professional life. It's a college under respectable and genuine leadership working hard to rebuild the its reputation from a very turbulent experience under the previous administration. Pima cares deeply about contributing to the community and providing premier service to its students. Employees are encouraged to try other appointments on a temporary basis in order to apply their skills in areas they believe are best fit. Chancellor Lee Lambert is an authentic and forward-thinking leader determined to bring Pima to premier status among the top Community Colleges in the country. Truly a place with promise which values every employee.
It was a learning experience and a great place to work.
student (Former Employee) –  Tucson ArizonaFebruary 20, 2015
It was the greatest place that I ever worked. I learned a lot in the way of office procedures. I met and helped a lot of different types of people. The boss there was excellent. I would work there again if a job came open.
Enjoyable coworkers, and students. Clean and safe work environment
TUTOR I (Current Employee) –  Tucson, AZJanuary 27, 2015
All members of the staff are very enjoyable to be around. Each of the tutors are very knowledgeable of their subjects and follow the policies for recording tutoring hours. In addition, the office staff are fully trained in all of the clerical needs of the Computer Commons and the Tutoring area. All members of management are very respectful and fair. This group works together very well, like a family.

I really enjoy working with the students who come to me for help. It makes me happy to see them improving on their studies with the guidance that I am giving them.

Management also makes it a priority to have all texts and information on subjects available to the tutors, so that we can help the students to the best of our ability.
Pros
enjoyable coworkers and students, clean and safe environment. enjoyable work, relaxed break system.
Cons
limited hours
productive and fun
Student Aid (Former Employee) –  Tucson, AZJanuary 12, 2015
learned a lot about police work by working with college police. let to work on your own without much supervising
Productive work environment for printing student artwork
Print Specialist (Current Employee) –  Tucson, AZSeptember 20, 2014
It was a good expereince to learn about the printing process for traditional and digital media. I was able to learn and understand the concept of colors, paper, and software.
Pros
printing my art
Cons
not payed a lot
Fun learning environment.
EMT Voluntary Teachers Assistant (Former Employee) –  Tucson, AZSeptember 12, 2014
Flexible with your school schedule and you get to get paid to learn
Pros
easy
Cons
some students are jerks
Self Improving Job
Spanish/Writing Tutor (Former Employee) –  Tucson, AZJuly 6, 2014
I enjoyed working at Pima, I had a very understanding boss and good hours. I worked alone but had fellow writing and Spanish tutors who had different shifts then I. We had closed off rooms with white boards and various learning tools and books as well could bring our own. We often had 1-5 students at a time and had to work in balance to accommodate all the students with enough time. The only difficult part was if we had a difficult student, which was rare. I enjoyed working with others but also alone, There wasn't always students to tutor so we can work on our own home work or what ever we needed to do but still stay in our work area.
Pros
one-on-one tutoring
Cons
lack of students at times, slow days
Fantastic Opportunity to Give Back To The Community!
CERTIFIED HIT INSTRUCTOR, ADJUNCT FACULTY (Current Employee) –  Tucson, AZJune 10, 2014
Fantastic Opportunity to Give Back To The Community!
Some Instructors are not certified to teach in a specific area and are unable to answer students questions about how the skills they are learning are relevant to the occupation they are training for. Additionally, some of these same instructors were never in the field for the course they are teaching -
Pros
giving back to the community by teaching students relevant and viable skills
Cons
some instructors are not certified -see review
Fun classes, good instructors, terrible management
Adjunct faculty of Mathematics (Current Employee) –  Tucson, AZMay 26, 2014
Plenty of great interaction with other faculty and students. I strive to create an all-inclusive, diversity-oriented classroom "culture". Wonderful students for the most part that are thirsty for caring, solid, knowledgeable instructors that CARE about them and their success. However, because the college has suffered through a culture of fear, discrimination, and retribution, I have learned to be far more cautious and not voice my opinions or suggestions except to a few individuals that I personally trust in the college. Co-workers, faculty and staff are generally pleasant and very nice people to work with and I appreciate them a lot for all their support and services. However, dealing with so much corruption, fear, discrimination, lying, and politics at the administrative levels is very discouraging and depressing. Opportunities for advancement and/or being hired for permanent, full-time positions are very scarce and limited to who knows whom and to those that are considered "favorites" by the administrative staff. PCC is a great college, but does need an overhaul of top administrative personnel which also would be beneficial in lifting the college out of the probation placed by the Higher Learning Committee.
Pros
students, faculty and staff members
Cons
administrators, culture of fear and retribution, nepotism

4.3