Pine Rest Christian Mental Health Services Employee Reviews

Gods work
Youth Counselor (Former Employee) –  Cutlerville, MIAugust 29, 2017
I enjoyed my time at PIne Rest. The staff was extremely friendly and the children we supervised all still have a major impact on my life. I would recommend working here if you're looking to help our youth.
Great Place to work!
Manager (Current Employee) –  Grand Rapids, MIAugust 8, 2017
Great company with a great mission.
Management are caring, Supervisors are responsive.
Clinicians are mission focused.
Overall it has been a very positive experience
Pros
Great PTO package
Cons
No shortage of work
a place to learn and grow while helping others learn and grow
Residential Care Worker (Current Employee) –  Kentwood, MIJuly 10, 2017
I love my job, but I wish our management was better, the employees were not taken care of, even when very serious issues would occur. The staff was never on the same page and many miscommunications happened very often, it was not as stable as it should have been.
Very difficult work environment, poor managment
Clinical Team Leader (Former Employee) –  Cutlerville, MIJuly 9, 2017
Pine Rest Christian Mental Health Services is a very difficult non-profit to work for. I found Pine Rest to be poorly managed; mainly because of it's size and complexity of operation.
Pros
Stable employment
Cons
High stress work envioronment
Poor place to work under paid overworked and raises are nonexistent
Psychiatric Technician (Current Employee) –  Grand Rapids, MIJune 30, 2017
Poor place to work under paid over worked. The staff was asked to take an exam and if passed we were supposed to get a raise but when everyone passed the exam no raise came. Staff was asked to give up some vacation days in return for a raise that is manipulative.The organization is not trustworthy. Staff are let go for minor issues and that keeps staff on edge. The organization would rather fire and hire over and over than give their staff a competitive wage and that turns into poor care and service for the client
Pros
It's a job
Cons
Great place with supportive staff!
Patient Care Provider (Former Employee) –  Grand Rapids, MIJune 12, 2017
Awesome place to work! Improved a lot of important aspects that are vital in many jobs, such as problem solving, time management, and communication. Also, this place has a very supportive staff for the most part.
Pros
a lot of PTO, benefits
Cons
short breaks, stressful
Positive work environment.
Outpatient Therapist (Former Employee) –  Holland, MIMay 31, 2017
Excellent work environment and flexibility. Supervisor had great leadership skills and was willing to teach these skills to others. He allowed for growth and opportunity to use skills.
Pros
Flexibility
Cons
Pay
Very interesting place and environment to work within
Patient Care Provider (Former Employee) –  Cutlerville, MIMay 22, 2017
Very enriching. You get to give yourself and time to an individual who has not had such a great start on life and share the good things of life they have to look forward to and encouragement
Pros
meals are with the residents, like a family setting
Cons
not set up to give breaks
Turnover rates are through the roof!
Support Staff (Former Employee) –  OutpatientMay 21, 2017
With my 3 years at the company I had seen many things! People constantly fired or quitting because of the bully type work environments. The management at the clinics I experienced was awful and it was always a constant search for what they could find wrong with your work. The people I worked with directly at the clinic were amazing overall, but outside of that it was the most stressful, awful environment I have ever experienced. Biggest mistake of my life to leave my previous job to work for this company. I never felt they practiced the Christian philosophy and it truly is sad with all the people that struggle that come there. I pray things change some day for the company!
Pros
Pay
Cons
Stressful work environment, turnover, bullying of staff
good for young adults
Care Provider (Former Employee) –  Maple UnitApril 4, 2017
This job was great for between years in college as a psych major trying to dip my toes into the field. management was at a time of turnover so that was a little lacking, but other than that being a care provider was good experience.
Exceptional Relationship Based Care
Activity Therapist (Current Employee) –  Grand Rapids, MIMarch 21, 2017
This is a great environment to work, with people from multiple disciplines cohesively helping patients improve from when they first come in.
A typical day for an Activity Therapist includes assessments, planning and facilitating groups, and attending team meetings. There are a variety of units focused on different populations ranging from children, adolescents, adults, older adults, substance abuse, severe psychosis, and others.
The workplace culture can be negative and have some gossip, but overall culture is improving. Management is working hard to create a culture of safety for employees to feel able to leave work in the workplace. I feel the organization truly cares for its employees.
Pros
Good pay rate
Cons
Can experience burn out dealing with difficult patients
Don't work here
Direct Care Staff Member (Former Employee) –  Grand Rapids, MIJanuary 13, 2017
Its like working under the thumb of the Police, they are always looking for a reason to write or you up of replace you.
I know this place looks good on the surface but they have put money over people.
If you do get a Job tread lightly.
Pros
Pto
Cons
you will never get a break.
Busy place but can be dangerous
Maintenance Technician (Current Employee) –  Cutlerville, MIDecember 30, 2016
My time working at Pine Rest was spent making the same repairs over and over since clients are continually breaking things. It was dangerous trying to make repairs and watch your back and your tools so clients couldn't attack you. The staff that was supposed to watch them while you make repairs rarely did so. Poor management in the maintenance department with a lot of changing supervision and not much knowledge of the maintenance field from supervisors.
Pros
Decent pay and benefits
Cons
Unsafe working conditions, poor management
Fast-paced and always interesting
Social Worker (Former Employee) –  Grand Rapids, MIDecember 30, 2016
1. Taking referrals for individuals looking for in-patient hospitalization
2. Meeting with individuals and families to do psycho-social assessments and suicide assessments.
3. Determined level of care needed. Assigned DSM diagnosis.
4. Admitted patients into hospital program.
5. I learned that behavior issues were often present in those older adults coming into our Older Adult Program.
6.My co-workers were supportive.
7.Management was mostly supportive.
8.The hardest part of the job was the high number of patients that were suicidal.
9. The most enjoyable part of the job was meeting with patients and families.
Benefits
Cons
Difficult to take breaks, lunch
Thriving workplace
Pre-doctoral Psychology Intern (Current Employee) –  Grand Rapids, MIDecember 14, 2016
Pine Rest is a wonderful place to work. Not only does this agency provide care for different levels of need (i.e. outpatient, inpatient, and residential), but the staff are friendly, the managers are understandable, and the diverse clients make working here a pleasure and value learning experience.
Very stressful job
Resident Care Provider (Former Employee) –  Kalamazoo, MIOctober 24, 2016
This was a very stressful job with a high turnover rate. every time i turned around someone was quitting due to harsh work conditions. Staff endure so much abuse from residents, both physical and emotional, and the pay is not nearly worth it. Management was not available when they were suppose to be on call and got attitudes when you needed to inform them of something. They did not do a good job of training staff before throwing them in to start working and then got mad hen you did things wrong. Just not a good experience.
Place to work for a person with a good heart.
Childcare Provider (Former Employee) –  Grand Rapids, MIAugust 18, 2016
Working in the residential part of Pine Rest is difficult. There is a culture of violence of the kids towards the staff. Turn over is high because people with good hearts can only take so much abuse.
Care Provider Cedar
Care Provider (Former Employee) –  Grand Rapids, MIAugust 5, 2016
I was very excited to gain employment from Pine Rest. However, through my trainings and first few months of working here I realized this was not a place I wanted to stay employed. They hire the majority of direct care staff in at 16hrs per week, then they expect staff members to constantly pick up extra shifts even when staffs personal schedules (I went to school and held another PT position) do not allow it. The management is terrible. i never felt like they cared about the employees. In addition to that, the job is very stress inducing.
Cons
No breaks, poor management, few hours
Great team environment
REGISTERED NURSE (Former Employee) –  Grand Rapids, MIAugust 1, 2016
Very fast paced and days can be unpredictable. Great teaming. Supervisors are not advocates for the staff.
Pros
Team environment
Cons
Sometimes overwhelming and dangerous.
Love the people
Administrative Associate (Former Employee) –  Grand Rapids, MIJune 26, 2016
The department that I worked had awesome people within it. You could tell that they really cared about what they were doing.