Pinellas County Schools Employee Reviews in United States

Productive and rewarding helping others
Classroom Assistant Sub (Current Employee) –  Largo, FLJune 20, 2016
In a typical day as Classroom Assistant Subitute is working with children with a disabilities under the direction of a ESE teacher. I learned that helping children with disablities and rewarding to see smiles. Throughout the day I assist 2 to 3 students with reading, writing and math, as well, including choice time.
Pros
Helping children with disabilities
Rewarding career
Private Voice Teacher (Current Employee) –  Saint Petersburg, FLMay 7, 2016
See review for Gibbs High School. Great to work with students and faculty. It is an exceptional arts school. It's a great feeling to have students return and talk about how the school helped them with their careers.
Co-workers
Paraprofessional (Current Employee) –  Saint Petersburg, FLNovember 8, 2015
It is a very challenging job. but with the co-workers that I have it makes for an awesome and enjoyable work environment.
Pros
Rewarding
Cons
Behavior issues
Great School
cafe asst (Former Employee) –  Saint Petersburg, FLOctober 7, 2015
Made alot of friends there .My manager there was great she made us all feel at home,the very first day.She went out of her way to help us all.Even took me to the store when i needed to get my meds filled ,even help me with the money.I could'nt ask for a better school to work for.
Great place to meet new faces
Food Service Assistant (Former Employee) –  Largo, FLJuly 29, 2015
A typical day at work is fast paced
I learned how to be patient
Management is hard work
Co- Workers got along
Serving old food to customers/ staff
Customers telling you that your doing a great job
Pros
Free Lunch
Cons
Short Breaks
I really like my job as a DMT
Data Management Technician (Current Employee) –  Largo, FLJuly 13, 2015
I enjoy the challenge of correctly inputting data in the Student Information System. I get to talk to the students to see how they are progressing in their studies. I love it when they are able to pass a test, especially after some of them have been out school for ten years or more. We make a big fuss over them if they advance to the next grade level on a test.
Pros
I earn vacation and sick time monthly.
Cons
I have no windows near my office.
Government
Property Records Clerk, Administration Building (Current Employee) –  Largo, FLMay 31, 2015
In some areas its a great place to work, in others its not... The management is good but the lower management is very politically driven in my experience.
Pros
Work with Children
Cons
management is very crony drive and nepotistic
It is a nice place to work
Curtis Fundemental Elementary Cafetaria Worker (Current Employee) –  Dunedin, FLMay 19, 2015
The management is fair and the co-workers are great. It is great working with the kids and I have learned to better manage my time because of this job.
Pros
free lunches
Cons
only getting 2 hours a day
Rewarding
Long-Term Substitute Teacher (Former Employee) –  Largo,FLMay 15, 2015
Great team environment
Kids are hardworking
Classroom management can be difficult at times but with guidance , the children get back on track
Very Flexible
Substitute Teacher (Current Employee) –  Saint Petersburg, FLApril 13, 2015
Easy to schedule and pick which schools and grades you want to substitute for. You pick which days you want to work, very flexible.
Great Science Department
Instructor, Middle Grades Science (Current Employee) –  Saint Petersburg, FLFebruary 17, 2015
Typical stresses that educators face are experienced here. Hardest part, meeting the expectations of the stakeholders, organization and all levels of administration within the district and schools. Most enjoyable part, making a difference and helping individuals develop.
Depends on the school you get into
Math Teacher (Current Employee) –  Seminole, FLFebruary 15, 2015
The education system has changed a lot over the past ten years, but decisions are often made without keeping that in mind.

I was at a school for a while that was extremely stressful, and another school where it was a joy to go every day.
Pros
great peers, people that want to make an impact.
Cons
not much chance for advancement.
Common Core has me re-thinking my career
Educator (Current Employee) –  Clearwater, FLJanuary 3, 2015
I have been teaching for seventeen years. I absolutely LOVE what I do. Unfortunately, Common Core, has entered the picture. Today, the curriculum is too fast-paced for students to really learn and understand concepts in math, science, writing, etc... Our county is focused on testing and on data. It is not about the students anymore.
Pros
working with children, planning my own lessons and activities.
Cons
common core
Pcsb review
Instructional (Former Employee) –  Largo, FLDecember 15, 2014
PCSB has many job opportunities and great benefits. It has been a pleasure to work there for over 8 years. Within this company you also have many chances for company advancement. It is rewarding to spend the day watching children grow in academics, behaviors, social interaction, and maturity. All of my co-workers have been great. It's a great company, but I think it's time for a new chapter in my life.
Pros
children are fun
Cons
strict about legal trouble
Lesson Learned
Food Service Assistant (Former Employee) –  Clearwater, FLDecember 3, 2014
Hardest part was leaving because I really enjoyed working with the children and I did not expect to be let go because my own children were sick and I had to tend to them.
Pros
working with children
Cons
not a family friendly work place for when children are sick.
Love working with the Students Staff as well as the Parents
School Bus Driver (Former Employee) –  Largo, FlNovember 26, 2014
I learned how to maintain student behavior while keeping my eyes on the roads and traffic. I got along with co-workers although I chose to keep to myself to avoid the gossip mill. Sometimes getting support from my Supervisor would be difficult. But I was able to figure out the situation on my own. The students made my day. Getting them to & from safely and seeing their smiles, priceless!
Pros
loved the job, being in charge of my bus with no complaints.
Cons
management at times
great
ESE Associate (Former Employee) –  Saint Petersburg, FLNovember 2, 2014
Love the job, hate the pay and lack of hours. Great experience if you love kids.
Never a Dull Moment
Middle School Teacher (Current Employee) –  Pinellas County, FLNovember 1, 2014
Working in a middle school environment has been an interesting experience to say the least. Oftentimes, teachers are expected to wear a variety of hats to meet the needs of a diverse population of students. Teachers are greeters who welcome students into their classrooms; instructors with a passion to help students absorb content; advocates to ensure students' needs are being met; surrogates when parents/guardians are absent; counselors who listen to a range of issues or coaches who develop academic and/or physical skills. These and many other duties are entrusted to teachers who work with adolescents. With this in mind, a typical day is never typical for an educator.

Based on my experiences, one invaluable lesson learned from working in the field of education is that one must remain flexible. Unexpected circumstances or events are inevitable. And, there is no possible way to plan for them all. Furthermore, in order to endure the daily rigors of teaching young minds, teachers must learn to use prudence when managing time especially. Although expectations can become daunting, having balance inside and outside of work can alleviate some of the stressors that accompany daily responsibilities such as: paperwork, conferences, trainings, testing, parents, and more. Thus, peers are a great resource. Fellow colleagues can provide support necessary to work with middle school students during a work day, while family can keep one focused on what is important after work hours.

Overall, teaching is rewarding. Although frustrations arise, witnessing the maturation of adolescents and helping
  more... them to maneuver through grade levels so that they may become productive citizen is very gratifying.  less
Pros
work 10 months with summers off with pay, vacation time
Cons
inadequate salaries, raises rare, high stress
Transporting students to and from school.
School Bus Driver (Former Employee) –  Largo, FLOctober 19, 2014
A typical day at work,,, driving was a very fun experience, it was most beautiful to act as your own boss… the thing in which I loved the most was,, being able to view pinellas county, and not being confined,, it was a beautiful thing…!!! Mostly I loved the children, because I believe that I made a difference in they' re lives… the hardest part of the job was leaving…. My co-workers were good people… they were always there to look out for you.. We looked out for each other,, they were like family. The most enjoyable part of the job was looking forward to see what was gonna go on for that day!!!
Hard work but rewarding
English Teacher, English Department Chair (Current Employee) –  Saint Petersburg, FLOctober 8, 2014
Pinellas County schools is a great place to work overall. The best schools are those which have strong parental involvement and supportive administration.
Pros
hours, vacation days
Cons
student behavior; lack of parental involvement, evaluation tool constantly changes

4.2