Pinellas County Schools Employee Reviews

Government
Property Records Clerk, Administration Building (Current Employee), Largo, FLMay 31, 2015
Pros: Work with Children
Cons: management is very crony drive and nepotistic
In some areas its a great place to work, in others its not... The management is good but the lower management is very politically driven in my experience.
It is a nice place to work
Curtis Fundemental Elementary Cafetaria Worker (Current Employee), Dunedin, FLMay 19, 2015
Pros: free lunches
Cons: only getting 2 hours a day
The management is fair and the co-workers are great. It is great working with the kids and I have learned to better manage my time because of this job.
Rewarding
Long-Term Substitute Teacher (Former Employee), Largo,FLMay 15, 2015
Great team environment
Kids are hardworking
Classroom management can be difficult at times but with guidance , the children get back on track
Very Flexible
Substitute Teacher (Current Employee), Saint Petersburg, FLApril 13, 2015
Easy to schedule and pick which schools and grades you want to substitute for. You pick which days you want to work, very flexible.
Great Science Department
Instructor, Middle Grades Science (Current Employee), Saint Petersburg, FLFebruary 17, 2015
Typical stresses that educators face are experienced here. Hardest part, meeting the expectations of the stakeholders, organization and all levels of administration within the district and schools. Most enjoyable part, making a difference and helping individuals develop.
Depends on the school you get into
Math Teacher (Current Employee), Seminole, FLFebruary 15, 2015
Pros: great peers, people that want to make an impact.
Cons: not much chance for advancement.
The education system has changed a lot over the past ten years, but decisions are often made without keeping that in mind.

I was at a school for a while that was extremely stressful, and another school where it was a joy to go every day.
Common Core has me re-thinking my career
Educator (Current Employee), Clearwater, FLJanuary 3, 2015
Pros: working with children, planning my own lessons and activities.
Cons: common core
I have been teaching for seventeen years. I absolutely LOVE what I do. Unfortunately, Common Core, has entered the picture. Today, the curriculum is too fast-paced for students to really learn and understand concepts in math, science, writing, etc... Our county is focused on testing and on data. It is not about the students anymore.
PCSB REVIEW
Instructional (Former Employee), Largo, FLDecember 15, 2014
Pros: children are fun
Cons: strict about legal trouble
PCSB has many job opportunities and great benefits. It has been a pleasure to work there for over 8 years. Within this company you also have many chances for company advancement. It is rewarding to spend the day watching children grow in academics, behaviors, social interaction, and maturity. All of my co-workers have been great. It's a great company, but I think it's time for a new chapter in my life.
Lesson Learned
Food Service Assistant (Former Employee), Clearwater, FLDecember 3, 2014
Pros: working with children
Cons: not a family friendly work place for when children are sick.
Hardest part was leaving because I really enjoyed working with the children and I did not expect to be let go because my own children were sick and I had to tend to them.
Love working with the Students Staff as well as the Parents
School Bus Driver (Former Employee), Largo, FlNovember 26, 2014
Pros: loved the job, being in charge of my bus with no complaints.
Cons: management at times
I learned how to maintain student behavior while keeping my eyes on the roads and traffic. I got along with co-workers although I chose to keep to myself to avoid the gossip mill. Sometimes getting support from my Supervisor would be difficult. But I was able to figure out the situation on my own. The students made my day. Getting them to & from safely and seeing their smiles, priceless!
great
ESE Associate (Former Employee), Saint Petersburg, FLNovember 2, 2014
Love the job, hate the pay and lack of hours. Great experience if you love kids.
Never a Dull Moment
Middle School Teacher (Current Employee), Pinellas County, FLNovember 1, 2014
Pros: work 10 months with summers off with pay, vacation time
Cons: inadequate salaries, raises rare, high stress
Working in a middle school environment has been an interesting experience to say the least. Oftentimes, teachers are expected to wear a variety of hats to meet the needs of a diverse population of students. Teachers are greeters who welcome students into their classrooms; instructors with a passion to help students absorb content; advocates to ensure students' needs are being met; surrogates when parents/guardians are absent; counselors who listen to a range of issues or coaches who develop academic and/or physical skills. These and many other duties are entrusted to teachers who work with adolescents. – more... With this in mind, a typical day is never typical for an educator.

Based on my experiences, one invaluable lesson learned from working in the field of education is that one must remain flexible. Unexpected circumstances or events are inevitable. And, there is no possible way to plan for them all. Furthermore, in order to endure the daily rigors of teaching young minds, teachers must learn to use prudence when managing time especially. Although expectations can become daunting, having balance inside and outside of work can alleviate some of the stressors that accompany daily responsibilities such as: paperwork, conferences, trainings, testing, parents, and more. Thus, peers are a great resource. Fellow colleagues can provide support necessary to work with middle school students during a work day, while family can keep one focused on what is important after work hours.

Overall, teaching is rewarding. Although frustrations arise, witnessing the maturation of adolescents and helping them to maneuver through grade levels so that they may become productive citizen is very gratifying. – less
TRANSPORTING STUDENTS TO AND FROM SCHOOL.
School Bus Driver (Former Employee), Largo, FLOctober 19, 2014
A TYPICAL DAY AT WORK,,, DRIVING WAS A VERY FUN EXPERIENCE, IT WAS MOST BEAUTIFUL TO ACT AS YOUR OWN BOSS… THE THING IN WHICH I LOVED THE MOST WAS,, BEING ABLE TO VIEW PINELLAS COUNTY, AND NOT BEING CONFINED,, IT WAS A BEAUTIFUL THING…!!! MOSTLY I LOVED THE CHILDREN, BECAUSE I BELIEVE THAT I MADE A DIFFERENCE IN THEY' RE LIVES… THE HARDEST PART OF THE JOB WAS LEAVING…. MY CO-WORKERS WERE GOOD PEOPLE… THEY WERE ALWAYS THERE TO LOOK OUT FOR YOU.. WE LOOKED OUT FOR EACH OTHER,, THEY WERE LIKE FAMILY. THE MOST ENJOYABLE PART OF THE JOB WAS LOOKING FORWARD TO SEE WHAT WAS GONNA GO ON FOR THAT DAY!!!
Hard work but rewarding
English Teacher, English Department Chair (Current Employee), Saint Petersburg, FLOctober 8, 2014
Pros: hours, vacation days
Cons: student behavior; lack of parental involvement, evaluation tool constantly changes
Pinellas County schools is a great place to work overall. The best schools are those which have strong parental involvement and supportive administration.
A Very Trying AND Rewarding Experience
Mathematics Teacher (Former Employee), Saint Petersburg, FLAugust 28, 2014
Teaching is such an awesome experience! The most important thing to remember is that we, as teachers, are placed in the lives of the students to serve. On those occasions that are not so pleasant, remembering WHY is usually the best tool to use to move forward.
Great Flexibility
Substitute Teacher (Current Employee), Largo, FLAugust 11, 2014
Flexible Work Environment - perfect for student. Worked at schools throughout Pinellas County filling in for absentee teachers.
Excellent school district to work for.
PK-2 Teacher (Former Employee), Tarpon Springs, FLJuly 18, 2014
Pros: staff recogition, meetings, nights out, excellent parents
I loved working with Pinelllas County Schools. I learned so much from peers and their excellent staff trainers. The people I worked with were warm, compassionate and great teachers.
Title I teachers work with one to four students at a time to help them get to grade level academically which is very rewarding.
Title I Teacher (Former Employee), Pinellas County, FLMay 6, 2014
Pros: small groups of students to work with
Cons: no benefits as a part time hourly employee
I enjoyed working with the teachers and students as well as the administration. The work is very rewarding.
Really enjoy working with the kids.
Teacher Assistant (Current Employee), Saint Petersburg, FLApril 21, 2014
A very good experience. Worked with kids hands on who were apart of our program.
Good place to work team work,
Interpreter for the Hearing Impaired (Current Employee), Clearwater, FLMarch 23, 2014
Pros: staff support each other
Cons: no raises for administration (not school
Good staff to work with, excellent support, good team. I need a part time job to