Pinellas Suncoast Transit Authority Employee Reviews

stressful place
Cleaner/Maintenance (Former Employee) –  St Pete, FLAugust 30, 2017
If you re a bus driver, you re on your own on the street. Most of your passengers are either hobos or criminals, so you are always in danger.The management does not protect the drivers. You will get spit on and if you react to the aggressor you may lose your job.
A lot of stress from both the passengers and the management.
The strange thing about this company is that most drivers end up dying of cancer.
benefits
Cons
everything else
Need to be to yourself when working at this company.so many will get in your business.
Transit and Intercity Driver (Former Employee) –  Saint Petersburg, FLMarch 15, 2017
Wonderful company to work for ,to get hours.Also to get great benefits.Some of the management doesn't work with drivers,when the drivers tell management the problems they see on the bus.
Pros
wonderful benefits
Cons
management doesnt work to well with drivers
Former Employee
Mechanic (Former Employee) –  Saint Petersburg, FLSeptember 8, 2016
Loved the job and have no complaints. Great hours plenty of time between work and family. Management was ran great. Supervisors backed the employees under them.
No where to go
Diesel Technician (Former Employee) –  St. Petersburg, FLJanuary 31, 2016
The work is steady. The facility is nice. The pay is very low for a professional mechanic. No room for advancement. It is union controlled and subject to politics. Hard work is not rewarded. The younger mechanics carry the work load while the older gruff mechanics create an unnecessary rift in the maintenance department. The nice part of the job is the facility. It is large and you can go off in your corner keep your head down and get stuff done. The average day will have you steam cleaning buses and performing preventative maintenance.
Great Atmosphere and Work
Mechanic (Former Employee) –  Saint Petersburg, FLOctober 5, 2015
Great place to work. Management actually works with employees to make work environment better. steady work and many chances to advance
Pros
Great hours, Advancement in company
Cons
Great company to work for.
Bus Operator (Former Employee) –  TransportationSeptember 19, 2015
Shifts are crazy in the beginning, but once you start moving up in seniority the choices of work get better. Great benefits medical, dental and vision as well as personal days and vacation.
Cons
No lunch break, but there are scheduled breaks at the end of the line.
No comment
Director of Planning Projects (Current Employee) –  Saint Petersburg, FLFebruary 5, 2015
This organization provided great public transit to the entire community and provided an exceptional approach to public service and staff development and growth.
A typical day at work...
IT Systems Manager (Former Employee) –  Saint Petersburg, FLNovember 18, 2014
My work week is categorically divided into personal deliverables and team deliverables. The week concludes on a team review wherein I ascertain the effectiveness and efficiency of each team member deliverables. For instance, on Mondays and Tuesday, I would chalk out team deliverables and brief them about priorities and the methods by which the targets could be achieved. On Wednesdays, I would keep a tab on the progress of tasks assigned to each team member whilst providing him/her feedback and problem solving guidance wherever required. On Thursdays and Fridays, I would call upon a team review meeting to analyze and ascertain achievements of targets.

My manager always inspired and motivated teamwork for achieving goals and influence valuable changes. She always opened to new ideas coming from team members. I consulted with her frequently and encouraged and supported independent thinking. I believe in establishing an open discussion for decision-making. I recognize the skills of key team members and utilize their strengths to the benefit of the team.

One of the toughest aspects of my job was the high staff turnover.

The best part of my job is without a doubt the people that I work with. Everyone is always ready to help and encourage one another. That has definitely helped me become a more confident person.
Pros
Great benefits and people that I work with
Cons
High staff turnover
Its about who you know.....
Administrative Assistant (Former Employee) –  St. Petersburg, FLJuly 10, 2014
Only hire based on age and length of experience. Managers know who they are going to hire before you even interview. Don't apply unless you have 10 plus years in the field they are hiring for. A waste of time.
Strenuous work enviornment
C" Mechanic (Former Employee) –  Saint Petersburg, FLMay 19, 2014
Worked involved was to diagnose and repair heavy maintenance buses. Learning the newer equipment gave me an education on electronics and new prototype vehicles. My co-workers were very knowledgeable and work help each other out when a problem arose.

Company supervisors were helpful in dispersing information and work when needed.

A "C" Mechanic's duties were very strenuous and ranged from removing and repairing transmission to going on a street call to bring back a disabled vehicle. I liked working there because it was a job I had experience in and really didn't need that much training.
Pros
working a 4 day/ 10 hours a day work week
Cons
Dangerous conditions regarding work areas
Poor communication between managers & staff
Transportation (Former Employee) –  Saint Petersburg, FLApril 3, 2013
Lack of continuity in application of policies and procedures
Repressive and Hostile Work Enviroment
Senior Accountant - Grants (Former Employee) –  Saint Petersburg, FLDecember 17, 2012
PSTA has gone hill over the past 5 years. Management style wants things done regardless of Federal or State regulations and if you don't do it their way they get rid of you. The finance department's attitude is one of every-man-for-himself. There is no atmosphere of help and cooperation, only back stabbing and deceit.
Pros
fringe benefits
Cons
everything else