Piney Ridge Center Employee Reviews

good atmospher with a great concept
Youth Care Worker (Former Employee) –  Waynesville, MOOctober 5, 2017
I absolutely love the idea and concept behind Piney Ridge Center. The fact that there is a place such as Piney Ridge Center with a dedicated group of personnel that are so willing to give back to the youth some in which has already had a lot taken away from them in life. As well as the youth that just needs to be guided down the correct path and to be shown that there are people of there that cares about them and wants tot see them be successful.
Very different
YCW (Current Employee) –  Waynesville, MOSeptember 26, 2017
I have never worked at a place like Piney Ridge. They are making some good changes, but need to stay on that same path. I hear horror stories about the past, but seen nothing really that bad since I have been here. (6 months). There are difficult days and situations, but if you know how to treat the kids, what NOT to do, then you are fine.
Pros
Meals on site, ATT/Sprint % off bill, Overtime!!
Cons
Bad days
Making a difference with above average pay
Direct Care Staff (Current Employee) –  Fayetteville, ARAugust 20, 2017
While the residents can be difficult, I remember the type of situations the residents have had to experience and I do not take it personal. The management cares about the residents and staff, and have increased the pay substantially in the last year. If you are looking for experience in the human services area and would like to start obtaining expertise while working on a degree Piney Ridge Treatment Center is a great place to work in Fayetteville.
Pros
Coworkers and management
Good benefits, but combative work environment
Behavioral Health Technician (Current Employee) –  Fayetteville, ARJuly 6, 2017
Typical day is very combative and not worth the pay. Seldom get a break. More like a juvenile jail than a treatment center. Management doesn't care if you stay or go...they have an attitude of you can be easily replaced.
Stressful but rewarding
LPN Medication Nurse (Former Employee) –  Saint Robert, MOJune 1, 2017
Loved working with the kids but there were days it was difficult but I could leave the stress there when I went home. Management was excellent. They worked with me on upcoming appointments and things that came up all of a sudden without any issues.
Stressful Environment
ycw (Current Employee) –  Waynesville, MOMay 30, 2017
I love my job here, however, they are constantly understaffed and require overtime when there aren't enough employees to cover the shift (this happens quite often). There are many trying circumstances of this job like being exposed to horrific conditions (bodily fluids like spit, urine and feces or worse), obscene language, and even physical altercations resulting in containments for safety. Once the children warm up to you, it's wonderful. You get to impact the lives of children/young adults who need love and support. Other than the occasional containment (maybe once a week or multiple a day it just depends), I enjoy my employment here. I will say this job isn't for everyone, and if you are easily intimidated or very sensitive this is definitely NOT the place for you.
Pros
free breakfast/lunch/dinner depending on the shift you work, lots of overtime
Cons
Too much overtime, being mandated, exposure to stressful situations, not enough pay
Not.the.safest place to work
Unappreciated Employee (Current Employee) –  Waynesville, MOMay 24, 2017
I've worked at this establishment, on two different occasions, and, nothing has changed. .Still, not correct staff/resident ratio, Great lack of communication, with supervisors, and some coworkers. .There are times, when there is a chaotic situation going on, and staff will just turn, and walk away, as if nothing is wrong. .Or, when you ask something of them, they act like you're not even there. .Yes, there's favorites being played, as far as some of the staff, (kids, to a degree), are concerned. .It's not right...Also, you can tell, whenever they have a JCAHO, inspection coming, because, all of the. Administration will be rushing about, making sure they have all their ducks in a row... (JCAHO, is how they have their licensing)...If they did their job properly, they wouldn't have to scurry...If they did right by the dedicates staff, that they do have, they wouldn't be losing so many of them..It's very unsafe working there, most of the time..
Pros
Pay is ok...But, should be alot more
Cons
Lack of support, and communication
Under new management (current employee)
Youth Care Worker (Current Employee) –  Waynesville, MOMay 16, 2017
As a current Employee I am glad to see we are under new management and that the work environment is changing for the better. Piney has had a negative reputation and some negative minded staff that has worked for them in the past. I know that with the right attitude and current management we will get the best staff available to help in keeping up with the Care and Concern for these challenged children that are in our care.

A typical day can be challenging which most jobs have those days as well; but I challenge anyone who loves working and mentoring children to become a positive role model in society to join our team. the pay isn't great but it is better than most businesses in the area and you earn every dollar when your in that Building. the worst part of the job is the short breaks which you get just not scheduled when you want, sometimes you have to wait awhile but they are given exactly when needed instead of desired. what I like about the job is the since of family and growth you get from the mature adult staff that work along side of you and you also learn a lot about yourself as you are challenged to create a peaceful mindset for each shift you work.
Pros
Overtime, Paid time off, emotionally rewarding
Cons
short breaks
Mental Healthy
Youth Care Worker (Former Employee) –  Fayetteville, ARDecember 25, 2016
It has its ups and downs but can be very rewarding. Still it can take a toll on your own health so not everyone is suited for this type of job.
Pros
Helping people
Cons
Chaotic environment
Fun workplace
Youth Care Specialist (Former Employee) –  Waynesville, MOAugust 10, 2016
Staff input is not valued by management.
Staff is taken for granted.
Residents are not held accountable for actions.
Rules are not upheld.
Poor Management/Lack of Care for Residents
Psychiatric Assistant (Former Employee) –  1000 Hospital Rd. Waynesville, MO 65373July 27, 2016
Management fails to hire & keep those who have a genuine passion to help & care for the residents in the facility. They allow those who lie, steal, & abuse the residence to stay employed & fire or suspended those who are really doing right by the children. They find petty excuses to get rid of the good staff while leaving behind those who are verbally, physically, & emotionally hurting the residents. Seen it/heard it with my own eyes & ears & get tips that it is still happening. Oh & don't think night shift is a breeze either, your coworkers are sleeping on the job leaving you with all the work, but believe me they won't loose their job before you, the new person. Day shift workers sleep to just ask the residence they will tell you.
Pros
Free lunch, plenty of overtime if you want it.
Cons
No set lunch break or any break for that matter.
You've got to be kidding me. Needs a total overhaul
Youth Care Worker (Former Employee) –  Waynesville, MOJuly 26, 2016
It was always funny to.arrive in the morning on a weekend. There was a hand full of people. The people that were scheduled did not show up and their named erased with a new schedule. During the week they would send people home because they were "overstaffed"..meaning all the people who did not come in on the weekend needed to make their hours. You would see them hiding until they sent someone who was there on their scheduled time home. It was sickening.
You had staff that enjoyed taking down CHILDREN. Sizing them up and trying to provoke them.
The food was garbage. Not even the proper temperature. Ants and roaches all over the place. They had the audacity to have rooms that they put the unruly on the cold nasty floor.
Management had their favorites. They would disappear leaving you with 10 kids by yourself. The weekends were the worse because the ones that so happenly came to work were still drunk and spend most of the shift in the bathroom or in their car sleep.
I wouldn't recommend this place to anyone. They force people to work while their favorites get away doing nothing at all. They need to fire ALL management and start from scratch. Maybe then they can keep people.
Pros
Making a difference in a child's life
Cons
Favoritism, coverups and b.s
This place was a joke
Youth Care Worker (Former Employee) –  Waynesville, MOJuly 25, 2016
At Orientation we started with 30 of us we ended with 6. The 3rd day my paperwork was lost including payment information ( routing # and account #) which I provided the first day. They gave us a tour of the place and omg it looked like a prison, so nasty and dirty. Management never gives you a schedule so you did not know when you were suppose to work, just show up and at times they would force you to work overtime and if you did not they threatened child abandonment. The children there were scary, some perpetrators even and all of them were violent and no one cared if you got hurt or not. There is no room for advancement or growth.
Pros
lunches were free
Cons
no bathroom breaks, one very short lunch break, violent kids
cool place
Unit Leader (Former Employee) –  Fayetteville, ARJune 23, 2016
Very rewarding job if helping people is what you love. there can be a challenge dealing with multiple personalities. Normal day depends on what shift you work. there is structure that is given.
good
Primary Therapist (Former Employee) –  Waynesville, MOMay 14, 2016
At piney you will be expected to see all of your kids twice a week and meet all of your groups, you do not get holidays, if you work four hours on a holiday it is considered a full day. You can expect to work 50+ hours an average a week. However Piney has excellent management, the people are fantastic, it is a great place to work if you are not committed to other things such as children and family, because your fellow employees practically become your family with all of the time that you spend at work and the population you work with will inadvertently bless your life as you attempt to better theirs!
Pros
The people-all positions
Cons
the amount of hours you'll work.
emotionally taxing job
Behavioral Health Technician (Current Employee) –  Fayetteville, ARFebruary 3, 2016
As a behavioral health technician you will be expected to move mountains and save the world for roughly ten dollars per hour. There is never enough staff to help the children and if you think you're going to get help from one of the nurses forget about it. They will allow you to be physically assaulted while they watch from the nurses station. The entire job is a catch 22 situation. You're darned if you do and darned if you don't. The facility is nasty and the children are not held accountable for their behaviors, they seem to leave with worse behaviors than they came in with. The one perk to this job is they offer a lot of paid time off to fulltime employees ,but it quickly becomes obvious why. 40 hours a week will feel like 100, and if the next shift is late or someone calls in you will be forced to stay.
Pros
Cons
management, filthy facility, too much to list
Worst place to work
unemployed (Former Employee) –  Waynesville, MOJanuary 19, 2016
Just know it will be the worst place you can ever work at. And they don't always help the kids ... it seems to make them worse. You see them come in with problems then leave with more. I recommend you find somewhere else because i promise you will be very disappointed in the staff as well as the facility and conditions itself. As well as how they "help" the kids. I have also seen them allow a staff member rhat was sexually harassing a 14 year old female and continued to let the man work there... so if this isn't enough for you then I don't know what will be but good luck!
Pros
free lunch that's it
Cons
Nasty place
Hostile and Demanding Work Environment
Primary Therapist (Former Employee) –  Waynesville, MOJanuary 14, 2016
Pay is a bit more than other facilities in the area, but the work and stress of the environment is 10 times more than normal. Very demanding. You know there is a problem when people commonly joke about how staff members can come to work to find boxes outside of their office door for packing because without warning, it is their last day. The center takes patients by contract with some neighboring states, typically when those children have run out of all placement options in their home state. Although some of those kids are really great, the program is not set up well to truly help then, too many incidents, too many restraint events or inappropriate line staff prevent good attachments or inhibit those kids from ever feeling safe in the environment. Staff were injured commonly as I recall also.
Lack of communication with low pay and tough duties
Youth Care Coordinator (Weekend Supervisor) (Former Employee) –  Fayetteville, ARApril 15, 2015
The communication between even the floor staff and the nurses in the same building is abysmal. There is constantly a communication barrier between a supervisor who can make a decision and the floor staff. The kids are always a handful, but it makes it ten times worse when there is no direction coming from the upper echelon of management.

The turnover rate for the first year is over 90%. This is due to the fact that the pay is extraordinarily low for this field of work, and that blame for incidents is passed down to the lowest ranking worker possible. Lots of red tape to adhere to, double standards, and contradicting direction from the upper echelon of management.

Health care benefits are available, but the rates are extremely high, and for a very specific type of care. You'd be better off finding your own insurance policy.
Pros
Free meal
Cons
Insurance, pay rate, job security, communication
Good for psych or social work students
Youth Care Coordinator (Current Employee) –  Fayetteville, ARApril 11, 2015
If you are interested in the mental health field, this company will give you the experience you need. Clients can be challenging at times, but if you like a challenge this company can be for you.
Pros
schedule given a month at a time
Cons
pay rate leans more toward entry level positions