Pioneer College Caterers Employee Reviews

Fun place to work and meet new people
Kitchen Assistant (Current Employee) –  Cedarville, OH 45314December 29, 2016
The managers we have here are some of the best people you could ask to work with. They won't hound you but they will show authority when needed but that is not very often. They will work with you and even help out doing your work with you if you need the help. My co-workers are extremely fun to work with. They make the work day seem short no matter how long you work that day. We can all joke around and have fun and still get our work done at the same time. Being at a college we hire student workers so we get to meet new people all the time and those kids that decide to work with us are great workers, some of them need help with their jobs if they haven't done that job before but at least one or two of us will jump over there and help even if they didn't ask for it. Working here is kind of like one big family.
Fast paced, busy place with plenty of great food
Front of house (Current Employee) –  Hillsboro, KSJuly 8, 2016
This is a great place to work. I really enjoy working for this company. My favorite part of the job is interacting with the students.
Pros
Free lunches
Cons
The only break is at lunch
enjoyed cooking and about the client being happy
chef/production manager (Former Employee) –  Nashville, TNJuly 6, 2016
my day started at 5:00 am til 5 pm I learned a lot over the years Management is just ok a lot of employee pets and favorites co workers some work harder then others that's where the employee pets come in the hardest part of the job is working 6 days enjoyable part of my job was cooking and keeping the client happy .I enjoyed my job I was dedicated never late missed a total of 4 days in my 12 years of service but in the end it didn't matter to this company .I still lost my job .they said it didn't have anything to do about how good I cooked or how dedicated I was !!! They just didn't need me anymore
Pros
free lunch health insurance
Cons
long hours, poor managment, team work
Very easy to get a long with co-workers
Supervisor (Current Employee) –  Marion, INJuly 5, 2016
Everyday is an easy enough day to handle. I learn about my co-workers and how to do different jobs. The management is friendly, but need to care more about their employees. The hardest part of the job is having to multi-task all day. The most enjoyable part is talking with the fellow co-workers.
Pros
Free dinner, lots of fun, easy promotion
Cons
No benefits, low pay, not very good management
my job
Cook/Server (Former Employee) –  Powell, TNJune 22, 2016
I was a server, dish washer, cleaner, ran the register on sunday nights. I loved the management until they switched managers, he and I clashed a small amount. great co workers. I enjoyed working with the food and getting to know the college kids
fun workplace
Kitchen Staff/ Food Service & Maintenance (Former Employee) –  Grayson, KY 41143May 11, 2016
Had a great time! I learned a lot from working there and i will recommend it to anyone. We worked where one helped another. everyone was viewed as equal.
Work culture is a way forward
Member (Current Employee) –  Laurinburg, NCApril 24, 2016
A typical day at work is filled with a friendly and lively atmosphere from the pioneer management. when work starts, they are strictly straightforward that their employees perform at a high level when doing their jobs. The supervisors are always present to see that every-day activities are well done. The most enjoyable part of my job is that I have learnt how to work with a team to produce a better satisfaction for our customers. The co-workers ensure a lively atmosphere that supports communication to be the key to solving conflicts or confusion in the workplace.
Pros
Free Launches
Cons
Short Breaks
Productive, understanding work environment
Dish Room Worker (Current Employee) –  Mount Vernon, OHApril 18, 2016
It is an amazing place to work. They understand that I am a college student, theres always overtime. It is a fun and respectful place to work.
Pros
Works with my college
Cons
N/A
Great work place
SERVER (Current Employee) –  Barbourville, KYApril 9, 2016
attending to students, cooking and cleaning up
friendly environment and communication with customers.
work with co workers and assist in areas needed.
productive, different proffesional
Food Service Director Pioneer College Caterers (Former Employee) –  United StatesJanuary 18, 2016
Loved time with pioneer. Would love to do it again if I was given the opportunity within reason of location in the United States
Pros
schedule, time off, food, benefits
Cons
possible multiple relocations

Want to know more about Pioneer College Caterers?

Ask a question
Fun employees; short shifts
Utilities (Former Employee) –  Clarks Summit, PADecember 19, 2015
My manager was put in an unfortunate position which made being an employee unpleasant at times. She and the rest of the employees were great though.
Hardest part was being on my feet the whole shift.
Pros
Free food
Cons
No salary
Friendly people and consistent, but no future for me there.
Kitchen Staff (Current Employee) –  Wilmore, KYNovember 19, 2015
Pioneer has been a consistent employer since I first started with them. I know exactly what to expect from the company, the management, and my coworkers. The people at the Asbury cafeteria, where I've worked, are friendly and caring. It has been my pleasure to meet and work with each of them.
Unfortunately there is no possibility of advancement within the company for me or any other part time workers and there is no guarantee of work the next semester ether. The cafeteria is only open for 6 months or less out of the year so I am "employed without hours" for a good half the year.
Pros
Free lunches, Friendly environment
Cons
No benefits, no possibility for advancement or raises
Very fun work place and worked very well with my school schedule.
Utilities (Former Employee) –  New Ulm, MNSeptember 16, 2015
I worked in the College cafeteria at Martin Luther College in Minnesota. This work schedule worked very well with my class schedule, plus it was right on campus so it was easy to get to work and pick up different shifts or get shifts covered if needed. I loved my co-workers. They were mostly students also that were in my classes. It was really fun getting to train new students coming into the college and the cafeteria to work. I also really loved my supervisors. They were very personable and easy to relate to.
Meh
Runner (Former Employee) –  LanghorneAugust 19, 2015
Meh. Not a bad place to work while I was going to school. You're replaceable though and you know it. They used a lot of incoming freshman, and relied on more being right around the corner.
Pros
Good work environment
Cons
turnover friendly
Enjoyable
Dish room manager (Current Employee) –  Mount Vernon, OHJune 24, 2015
Working here has been an enjoyable experience. The staff is laid back, yet productive and able to keep up with a fast paced work load.
Small Company, Big on Values
Food Technician (Former Employee) –  Fullerton, CAJune 22, 2015
This company prides itself on integrity and small-town values. It's different from the big companies like Aramark, etc.
Great people to work with
Evening Cafe Manager (Current Employee) –  columbia, SCApril 19, 2015
Great people to work with, room to shine if you have the tenacity to prove yourself. Constant interaction with customer base and always something to do!
Small College Attmosphere with a wonderful staff.
Cashier/Customer Service/ Cleaning/Stocking (Former Employee) –  Moore, OKFebruary 18, 2015
Loved working and being around the energy of the student and facility, all were so lively and interesting. Enjoyed the hugs and being a substitute grandmother. I had 3 different Directors while I worked there. Each one was worse than the last. My Day Manager, was very nice to work with. She was nice in training me plus, she did try to be nice to everyone. I worked the 7-3:30 shift and it was a rush from the time I walked in the door til I walked out. For a while before the second director everyone was working 12-14 hours a day. That was very hard on me and everyone else. I mainly worked with the Day Manager, when something needed doing, even the dishes for a while I would volunteer. I don't mind working nights, but the pressure during my last days was just too much. The students were never trained good enough to be left on there own to do a job. Some were very good workers.
Pros
The Day Cook, Day Manager all the students, teachers, District Manager
Cons
Not enough help for all the work
Faith based Senior Management Staff wear Colored glasses ..hires hourly then leave Management to deal
Manager (Former Employee) –  SoutheastJanuary 28, 2015
PCC lends hand to the Under Funded
Typical Schools have NO Money to fix their Own equipment; Pizza Oven broken for weeks needed a $4.00 Switch, outdated Dish machine , equipment not operational or calibrated .
Learned that the Students/ Staff are furloughed to keep expenses low
SAT scores reflect Charcter
Pros
Holiday breaks
Cons
No Healthcare
Not a bad company to work for. However, Senior Leadership is lacking.
District Manager (Former Employee) –  Nashville, TNDecember 3, 2014
Pioneer is like most contract food service companies in that "boots on the ground" dictate success at each unit or district.

The most surprising about Pioneer is their lack of leadership at the "Senior" level. President and most of the VP's are older and focused on their retirement. When you attend a meeting and the President states over and over again he can't wait until he retires; this isn't good for the younger managers who are focused on growing the company and making room for more leaders and profits. Also, when he states that he can't lead his team, that is a serious problem and very concerning. My guess is that Pioneer will implode one day as they have forced a lot of good managers to leave for a better culture.
Pros
typical time off during the holidays and summer
Cons
Senior Leadership is focused on their retirement

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Pioneer College Caterers. Our community is ready to answer.

Pioneer College Caterers Reviews by Location