Pioneer Human Services Employee Reviews

Great for work but not a career!!!!
Resident Monitor (Former Employee) –  Seattle, WANovember 24, 2014
Pros: Work history, great ethics, great mission, must have a passion to help, overtime hours, great resume builder, if possible work as an on call then you can make your own hours and get a feel of each unit to see what best suits you!!

Cons: no set schedule, lack of work/life balance, pay, opportunity for advancement, aloofness and untrustworthy of management, not a career, parking

The PHS company overall and their mission is great and well needed but I will say the unit that I worked for and management was horrible!!!

Management (Director) mostly aloof of her facility and team but quick to find something to complain about when it suited her to her advantage!! One particular individual have way too unstable and micromanages too much (I'm surprised they haven't fired him yet) and co-workers eager to step over you to get to the top-- not my idea of teamwork or effective productivity!

DOC and PHS have absolutely 0% communication skills but when they did communicate it was negatively which is very odd and concerning given the fact of the type of job we did!! My life seemed to focus on the job rather than having a life outside of the unit because people failed to show up causing so much negative effects of everyone's life!!! I was fired simply because I complained about the issues I've seen!!

Resident Monitors are in the front lines of everything but are given no respect for what they put up with day to day from PHS management, DOC officials and offenders!!!

When I tried to transfer to another unit this particular unit management would find ways to keep me at bay by using
  more... negative comments on my reviews. So word of advice, if you decide to work for this company any unit you are placed in please do the following: NOTE EVERYTHING THAT HAPPENS, REPORT REPORT REPORT (EVEN IF ITS ABOUT MANAGEMENT OR CO-WORKERS), DON'T ALLOW MANAGEMENT TO DICTATE YOUR FUTURE ONLY YOU CAN!!!!!  less
I should have went with my gut on this one.
Residential Youth Counselor (Former Employee) –  WashingtonDecember 10, 2013
The only positive thing I have to say about this job experience is it affirmed my fears. Having read the reviews, I was reluctantly skeptical, thinking that perhaps only people with poor attitudes had taken the time to write a review. But that optimism was met with a rude awakening.

I feel terrible for the kids. Yes, there are some staff who genuinely seem to care, but most seem to throw any psychological training they may have out the window (though it's not entirely their fault, for reasons I'll cover shortly). The kids are trapped in the center of this bureaucratic mess.

Management is 100% out of touch with the reality of those "on the ground." Senseless paperwork on top of senseless paperwork. There are so many trivial tasks that are prioritized. When do you get time to just "be" with the children and try to model and cultivate healthy behaviors/attitudes when you are constantly tasked with conforming to minutia? I understand there are legal issues and you have to cover your bases (CPS will come after you otherwise), but someone needs to "wake up" (I know it's a cliche saying and I don't really like using it, but it is definitely applicable here) and realize that the kids should be at the center of every action - not merely a "hassle" that is to be "dealt with" along the way.

I can't say that I recommend this position to anyone, though I have nothing but the utmost respect for an individual who can endure this hellhole WITHOUT giving in to poor perspectives. I know I couldn't.
Pros
very difficult to see right now.
Cons
see my review.
monitoring of inmates trying to reenter society
Resident Monitor (Former Employee) –  Seattle, WAJanuary 3, 2015
A typical day at work was to monitor the inmates in the facility and to ensure that their daily travel plans to and from work, court, doctor, and housing appointment were accurate. Room searches, UA/breath analysis were completed. Job referrals were given to those who were having difficulties gaining employment, as well as referrals for housing assistant. I usually worked with 2-3 co-workers, which we debriefed during shift changes. The hardest part of the job was to witness an inmate being sent back to prison on the count of the inmate breaking the rules of the contract that was signed by them in order to comply the ensure they successfully complete the program to be released back to society. I would also say that at times in was hard to adjust wtih working all shifts during the same week and dealing with an infant but I managed to success complete my shifts.
Pros
giving inmates the opportunity to turn their lives around, and not let their circumstances keep them from moving forward
Cons
adjusting to the different shifts, and low wages
Difficult job with excellent co-workers
Residential Youth Counselor (Former Employee) –  Everett, WA and Lynnwood, WAMay 27, 2013
This job was quite stressful: not everyone can handle overseeing kids with behavioral problems in a group foster home. Work involved overseeing and guiding residents, taking them to do activities, cooking meals, and keeping them from getting involved in altercations and other problematic behaviors. The co-workers and staff were quite excellent and supportive. Some, however, were not dedicated to being good employees which made the other staff members shine all the more in their helpful and supportive actions. Management was also good and provided a workplace with good core values and an emphasis on good work and training. The best part of the job were these co-workers and managers.
Pros
attending activities in interesting places, free meals, excellent co-workers
Cons
great stress, difficult residents, little pay for the high stress of this job, poor location for mass transit
always repairing
Maintenance Tech II (Former Employee) –  Spokane, WAApril 25, 2012
I like helping people All facility repairs. Including but not limited to, welding troubleshooting maintenance problems, repairing or replacing linoleum, vinyl and ceramic flooring, all existing interior and exterior structures, carpentry, painting, plumbing and electrical work. Maintenance and repairing of appliances, and general upkeep.

Grounds Keeper/Janitorial. Including but not limited to, mowing, edging, plant placement, trimming of all plants, and general upkeep of grounds. Cleaning of all building surfaces, structures, and fixtures.

Installation, maintenance, operation, and training of all production equipment
Pros
good employees care about people
Cons
not enought hours in a day, to do everything i wanted to do
Educational and provative promotion of human life
Cook1 (Former Employee) –  Divison Of Corrections Wa StateMarch 15, 2011
I cooked about two and half years for a transitional house under the umbrella of the pioneer Human service divsion. The particular catagory of government that i worked for is an efficent concept of thought for community development in the trails of error of reform. however, the other catagories of government that I worked for within the pioneer human service divsion since i had work for them since 2003 until 2007.
Are still struggling for power and control of there own reform. Iam personnally just struggling to maintain and find a job where I can do my job without other persons psychological problems interfearing in my work flow.
Inept Leadership And Constant Turnover
Facility Director (Former Employee) –  Seattle, WAJune 21, 2013
This isn't a bad job provided you maybe land a job at the operations center. If you're "in the trenches" however, working at the facilities or in manufacturing, you can expect to be underpaid, and typically be lead by leaders who are more concerned about their ego than the actual job at hand. Currently Pioneer markets itself as a non-profit, however, being in the upper echelons of leadership there, it's pretty much now a tax shelter. Senior leadership is impossible to work with, and typically make decisions based on their future goals. I wouldn't wish a job with them on my worst enemy.
Pros
403(b), that's it.
Cons
pay, management, training, direction
Dysfunctional organizational culture
Senior Recruiter (Former Employee) –  Seattle, Washington, United StatesMarch 26, 2013
From day 1 of my employment many of the employees around me were looking for new employment. I quickly realized why. My experience is that the leadership is incompetent and unwilling to embrace the ideas of others. It's a very hierarchical based organization managing top down. The don't budget for the support staff they need but they whine and complain when work doesn't get completed.Turnover is outrageous. The infrastructure doesn't support the scope of their statement of work. No systems or cheap systems are in place.
Pros
tuition assistance
Cons
nepotism, cronyism, poor leadership
Bad company
Resident monitor (Current Employee) –  Brownestone WRMay 3, 2013
Their Spokane branch has inept leadership. They micromanage and erode the work environment. BWR and ECH are correctional work releases, and corrections dynamics are the only thing not in place. Bad CCO’s, they let residents do whatever they want and PHS staff are powerless and brain washed into enabling resident’s behavior because ‘we’re there to assist them to get back into society.’

It's a joke. The program is a joke.

If you’re a corrections person, who understands the job of corrections, stay away from BWR, ECH, and the Spokane branch of PHS.

Comment – May 18, 2013

Yeap. Not a good place to work.

Typical day of a resident monitor
Resident Monitor I (Current Employee) –  Tacoma, WAJune 12, 2012
I sign in, take a headcount of all the residents that are in the house, on special passes (school, counseling) or at work. I write down anything I have to get done during the day it could be rooms searches, cell phone searches; or a number of drug test. I answer the phones all day to notate where every resident is at all times. My co-workers are a lot of fun, we communicate well and work as a team to get our job done. The most enjoyable part of my day is hearing when a resident is being released or if they found a job or housing.
Stressful Enviroment at times but good people and a good cause
Residential Youth Counselor (Former Employee) –  Everett, WAFebruary 1, 2015
Generally I liked working here. Co-workers were awesome. I learned a lot about the foster system. Not a good job if your life is already too much stress you can handle for some stressful situations can happen when working with these kids. Even though at times it is difficult it is a job you can have fun at. Give it a chance it might fit you well. These kids deserve to have someone care about them.
Pros
family environment
Cons
no breaks, pay could be better
Crazy place
Executive Assistant (Former Employee) –  Seattle, WANovember 19, 2013
Incredible turnover. They do not provide benefits until after you complete the probationary period. So a lot of people are lucky to make it beyond 90 days. I think they do this to avoid the cost of insurance. Additionally, as I write this there is another post for an executive assistant. Fourth one in less than two years. If you work there in a support capacity, you will be treated like you don't exist.
Pros
there are none
Cons
see comments
A good place for re-entry people to get a leg up
Delivery Route Driver (Former Employee) –  Shoreline, WADecember 14, 2014
Time sensitive delivery of Food Services product. The need for more innovative thinking management was coming on, so this is a positive for the team. Good place for re-entry or people of disabilities to begin.
Pros
occasional free lunch
Cons
need for innovative thinking and vehicle replacement/safety
Hard place to work
Resident monitor 1 (Former Employee) –  Tacoma, WASeptember 24, 2012
Given that you are working with people that were recently encarcerated you tend to be a little parnoid . The director is more apt to listen to the residents than the monitors . Some employees that were hired should not be working in that field considering their back ground .
Cons
lack of support from supervisors .
Great opportunity to gain experience in Department Of Correction
Professional Internship / Resident Monitor I (Current Employee) –  Seattle WA.April 13, 2014
Employees generally take great pride in company. Many opportunities for career exploration, rotating to different positions is encouraged and avalibale.
Enjoyable but hard work
Resident Monitor (Former Employee) –  Seattle, WAJune 15, 2015
Management did all the payment preparing when it came to collecting money. The rest of the employees as in myself, were left to manage the facility and make sure all rules were followed by the participates within the program.
Productive and fulfilling workplace!
Medical Assistant (Current Employee) –  Kent, WAApril 22, 2013
Very rewarding place to work! Really tries to help people in mental health and addiction.
Pros
satisfying to be a part of something that helps people!
Cons
schedule is very inconsistent!
very positive
Naturolpathic liquid nutritional speacialist,cook (Former Employee) –  Seattle, WAApril 2, 2013
learned a lot, prepared meals and the company lost my phone number to advance in the company
Pros
orders must be veriphied
Cons
need yard attendanct to wash vehicles
Social Worker (Former Employee) –  Seattle, WAApril 24, 2012
I enjoyed helping people and talking to them face to face. I used to sit in the office and walk around in the facility to see if anyone needs some help. I liked all my co-workers as we worked in one team.
very stressful work
Resident Monitor (Current Employee) –  Spokane, WAMarch 10, 2015
Assistant Manager is rarely there like to micro manage would throw you under the bus. Very stressful working with offenders.
Pros
free meal per shift.
Cons
health care 403 b retirement