Pioneer Human Services Employee Reviews

Great Mission But Poorly Managed and Led
Behavioral Health (Former Employee) –  Washington StateNovember 19, 2017
Pioneer's organizational mission is wonderful and the vast array of services offered to clients, many of whom have or had legal involvement, is really incomparable. I believe what hinders the valuable work the organization does is its extensive management system. There are far too many team leads, supervisors, managers, and directors. Each Pioneer location has some or all of these levels of management. There are regional managers and directors as well. I have had supervisors and managers who had difficulty clearly identifying their direct supervisor or manager. With this in mind, it is no wonder, then, why some locations struggle more than others to deliver efficient and quality client care. Another challenge is that split roles are also common at Pioneer. I worked as a clinician serving two different work sites; each site had its own primary management, workplace culture, and responsibilities. What ultimately led me to leave Pioneer was that I felt good working at one site and awful working at the other. My manager at the site I enjoyed was organized and provided clear goals and expectations without micromanaging; at this site I had steady, predictable work that aligned not only with the responsibilities I signed up for but also responsibilities that aligned with my professional goals. I was promised similar work and responsibilities at the other site but promises were never met. The work was not steady; my responsibilities frequently changed, and with little direction and support. Management was laissez faire when I first started at the second site; it was eventually replaced  more... with a director new to management. It is no wonder there was so much turnover during my time there. Add insult to injury, poor oversight resulted in sanctions from a key funding source, thereby limiting the stream of work I was responsible for, and in turn professional growth opportunities. When I challenged doing work that was questionable (at best) simply in the name of checking off checkboxes to satisfy funders, separation from the organization was all but inevitable for me. I do not regret working at Pioneer or my decision to leave. I only wonder about the impact of sanctions by the key funding source on clients, as well as the impact of perpetual turnover. Pioneer has much to offer the community it serves; I think cutting out some of middle management, improving oversight, and reducing split roles will make the organization more efficient.  less
Pros
Great pay and benefits.
Cons
Too many levels of management.
monitor 1 community corrections
Monitor 1 Corrections Officer (Former Employee) –  Seattle, WANovember 15, 2017
I worked at the work release houses. When inmates were approved for work release they were moved to there assigned location and began there job search. Before they left the building they had to sign in and out with many restrictions .If they didn't follow the rules they went back.
Pros
nice people to work with(employee)
Cons
working with cons
good place to work
PROGRAM MONITOR I (Former Employee) –  Tacoma, WANovember 6, 2017
Friendly staff , good work ethics . I enjoyed interacting with the community. I learned to be more vigilant and payed attention to detail in a security environment was important in this type of work environment.
Pros
working with great co workers
Cons
low pay
Stress free
Material Handler/Forklift Operator (Former Employee) –  Houston, TXNovember 5, 2017
Performed an array of functions that may include receiving and processing incoming stock and materials, picking and filling orders from stock, packing and shipping orders, or managing, organizing and retrieving stock in the warehouse. This is a great environment to work in.
Great company
Janitor (Current Employee) –  Spokane, WAOctober 14, 2017
Love working for them, very fair and motived team leaders. From the ceo to the housekeeper employees are helpful and a joy to work with. Should another position open up within pioneer I will gladly apply.
Pros
Excellent benefits
Cons
My position is ending
Good Job
Resident Monitor II (Shift Lead) (Current Employee) –  Spokane, WASeptember 7, 2017
Not for everybody, but its a good starting point on working with criminals.

Patience is definitely learned in this position. Having to deal with criminals is very challenging.
Nice Place to work. Management is clueless.
Database Administrator (Former Employee) –  Seattle Heights, WAAugust 15, 2017
Nice Place to work. Management is clueless. They need more technology savvy people in management. The techies are competent and nice people but the management does not technology.
Pros
Nice people
Cons
Management is cluesless as to IT
Incompetence,apathy, and violations oh my!
HSS (Current Employee) –  Spokane, WAAugust 5, 2017
Overwhelming incompetence of management is a daily situation. Short staffed so there is ALWAYS overtime. Forget if you want to have a weekend or holiday off. The staff who do care are quickly singled out by management and overwhelmed by the staff who do not. This place has this awesome program where if you do a good job at your job you get to pick up the slack of those who don't. My manager was focused on personal issues rather than doing his own job. Letting those in his department do most all of the work.

It's not all bad though.It's nice to make a difference in someone's life. The most enjoyable part of the job is knowing you've helped someone.

The hardest part of the job is saying good bye because you can't afford to work without overtime. The compensation is laughable.

There have been many privacy violations. Information given by staff to parents with out a release of information to name one... Bed bugs that management did nothing about until nearly every dorm was effected and clients bit. And yet nothing seems to change.

This is a great place to work as a first job or as work experience to get hired at a new place. The lack of upward mobility or growth in any professional aspect is exceedingly hard, thus making PCE a place for a job rather than a career.
Pros
Great clients wonderful experience
Cons
Management lacks direction and leadership, pay, benefits, long hours
Great Community resources
Assistant Director for RAP/Lincoln Work Release (Former Employee) –  Tacoma, WAAugust 1, 2017
Great company that has many resources for the community. The work release facilities are vital and were/are run with compassion, professionalism and a goal to help all former prisoners reenter the community and be successful neighbors. Everyone deserves a second chance and I believe money is better spent in helping than building more prisons.
Great company to work for.
Kitchen Supervisor (Former Employee) –  Tacoma, WashingtonAugust 1, 2017
Enjoyed working with offenders with mental health issues. Watching them succeed and offering support. Great team work, interaction with dept. Of correction staff. Excellent CEO. Great programs for offenders.
Pros
helping others, Great training
Cons
No on call pool
I worked as a resident monitor at transitional housing for homeless vets
Resident Monitor (Former Employee) –  Spokane, WAJuly 14, 2017
I was trained how to do breathalyzers. I had to tour the facility to make sure everything was ok. I also did up the chore sheet each week. I did weekly case plan reviews to see if the guys were following their case plan and I alerted senior staff to problems
Cons
12 hour shifts
Okay Job
HR (Former Employee) –  Seattle, WAJuly 14, 2017
I would have left if I hadn't expanded my family while there, didn't want to loss my maternity leave. My direct supervisor was a joke, she should have NEVER have been in her position. I LOVED my boss, I would follow him anywhere!!
prison warden
Residential Treatment Specialist/Med Staff (Current Employee) –  Seattle, WAJuly 14, 2017
You show up to watch the clients go about their day, watch them hold their AA and NA meetings, plate their meals, and open doors for them. I spend most shifts reading and grave watching Netflix after I finish my duties.
Fast paced unpredictable
CDPT (Former Employee) –  Burlington, WAJune 26, 2017
Different managers with different experiences offer different support, It is a volatile environment that needs a lot of structure to be successful. Clients were many times unsatisfied.
They do a lot of good work in the population they serve
Residential Treatment Specialist (Former Employee) –  Kent, WAJune 12, 2017
Working for this company has it's challenges, but as long as your willing to work hard it is a very rewarding job to have. Employees are considerate and friendly.
The work environment can be stressful but they promote self care in order to keep you from suffering burn out
on call
On Call Resident Monitor (Former Employee) –  Seattle, WAJune 11, 2017
was only an on call position, but while on call was able to work frequently when my schedule would allow. Job was interesting, and was a good learning experience.
Correction officer
Correction Officer (Former Employee) –  Seattle, WAMay 28, 2017
Sign the inmates in and out of the facility random inspections full perimeter checks answer questions the inmates have. Give random urine analysis and other
Pros
Free lunch
Cons
Inmates
experiences vary
PROGRAM MONITOR, COUNSELOR AND CASE MANAGER (Former Employee) –  Olympia, WAMay 23, 2017
The program I worked no longer exists, but Pioneer as a company is responsive to your needs and helpful. Everyone who works for them is devoted to public service. Most are either young and looking for a way in or almost retired and looking for something to keep them busy.
Help those with criminal histories to lead productive healthy lives
PMO & Portfolio Management Services Director (Former Employee) –  Seattle, WAMay 4, 2017
What's not to like about the mission? A rather high turnover rate in employees, however there are many here that have been around 20 years. I am lucky to oversee a part of all nine divisions so this is a rare glimpse into our operations. The people are great and I really feel part of a family. I like the flex time and ability to adjust core working hours. The benefits are great as well.
Pros
Health benefits, Flex time, Vacation time, Holiday time
Cons
Pay is between 25-50 percentile of median wage
Front Desk
Front Desk Receptionist (Current Employee) –  Spokane, WAApril 30, 2017
I like working the people and staff. I am able to learn more about mental health and I like the reward of helping the residents. Overall I am happy with my job, but there is always room for improvement.

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Pioneer Human Services. Our community is ready to answer.

2.9