Pioneer Human Services

Pioneer Human Services Employer Reviews

Dedicated to clients
CDP (Current Employee), Tacoma, WAMay 30, 2014
Pros: educational training
PHS- is dedicated to serving their clients. They work with a diverse population.
Great opportunity to gain experience in Department Of Correction
Professional Internship / Resident Monitor I (Current Employee), Seattle WA.April 13, 2014
Employees generally take great pride in company. Many opportunities for career exploration, rotating to different positions is encouraged and avalibale.
I should have went with my gut on this one.
Residential Youth Counselor (Former Employee), WashingtonDecember 10, 2013
Pros: very difficult to see right now.
Cons: see my review.
The only positive thing I have to say about this job experience is it affirmed my fears. Having read the reviews, I was reluctantly skeptical, thinking that perhaps only people with poor attitudes had taken the time to write a review. But that optimism was met with a rude awakening.

I feel terrible for the kids. Yes, there are some staff who genuinely – more... seem to care, but most seem to throw any psychological training they may have out the window (though it's not entirely their fault, for reasons I'll cover shortly). The kids are trapped in the center of this bureaucratic mess.

Management is 100% out of touch with the reality of those "on the ground." Senseless paperwork on top of senseless paperwork. There are so many trivial tasks that are prioritized. When do you get time to just "be" with the children and try to model and cultivate healthy behaviors/attitudes when you are constantly tasked with conforming to minutia? I understand there are legal issues and you have to cover your bases (CPS will come after you otherwise), but someone needs to "wake up" (I know it's a cliche saying and I don't really like using it, but it is definitely applicable here) and realize that the kids should be at the center of every action - not merely a "hassle" that is to be "dealt with" along the way.

I can't say that I recommend this position to anyone, though I have nothing but the utmost respect for an individual who can endure this hellhole WITHOUT giving in to poor perspectives. I know I couldn't. – less
Crazy place
Executive Assistant (Former Employee), Seattle, WANovember 19, 2013
Pros: there are none
Cons: see comments
Incredible turnover. They do not provide benefits until after you complete the probationary period. So a lot of people are lucky to make it beyond 90 days. I think they do this to avoid the cost of insurance. Additionally, as I write this there is another post for an executive assistant. Fourth one in less than two years. If you work there in a support – more... capacity, you will be treated like you don't exist. – less
Inept Leadership And Constant Turnover
Facility Director (Former Employee), Seattle, WAJune 21, 2013
Pros: 403(b), that's it.
Cons: pay, management, training, direction
This isn't a bad job provided you maybe land a job at the operations center. If you're "in the trenches" however, working at the facilities or in manufacturing, you can expect to be underpaid, and typically be lead by leaders who are more concerned about their ego than the actual job at hand. Currently Pioneer markets itself as a non-profit, however, – more... being in the upper echelons of leadership there, it's pretty much now a tax shelter. Senior leadership is impossible to work with, and typically make decisions based on their future goals. I wouldn't wish a job with them on my worst enemy. – less
Difficult job with excellent co-workers
Residential Youth Counselor (Former Employee), Everett, WA and Lynnwood, WAMay 27, 2013
Pros: attending activities in interesting places, free meals, excellent co-workers
Cons: great stress, difficult residents, little pay for the high stress of this job, poor location for mass transit
This job was quite stressful: not everyone can handle overseeing kids with behavioral problems in a group foster home. Work involved overseeing and guiding residents, taking them to do activities, cooking meals, and keeping them from getting involved in altercations and other problematic behaviors. The co-workers and staff were quite excellent and supportive. – more... Some, however, were not dedicated to being good employees which made the other staff members shine all the more in their helpful and supportive actions. Management was also good and provided a workplace with good core values and an emphasis on good work and training. The best part of the job were these co-workers and managers. – less
Bad company
Resident monitor (Current Employee), Brownestone WRMay 3, 2013
Their Spokane branch has inept leadership. They micromanage and erode the work environment. BWR and ECH are correctional work releases, and corrections dynamics are the only thing not in place. Bad CCO’s, they let residents do whatever they want and PHS staff are powerless and brain washed into enabling resident’s behavior because ‘we’re there to assist – more... them to get back into society.’

It's a joke. The program is a joke.

If you’re a corrections person, who understands the job of corrections, stay away from BWR, ECH, and the Spokane branch of PHS. – less

May 18, 2013

Yeap. Not a good place to work.

Productive and fulfilling workplace!
Medical Assistant (Current Employee), Kent, WAApril 22, 2013
Pros: satisfying to be a part of something that helps people!
Cons: schedule is very inconsistent!
Very rewarding place to work! Really tries to help people in mental health and addiction.
very positive
Naturolpathic liquid nutritional speacialist,cook (Former Employee), Seattle, WAApril 2, 2013
Pros: orders must be veriphied
Cons: need yard attendanct to wash vehicles
learned a lot, prepared meals and the company lost my phone number to advance in the company
Dysfunctional organizational culture
Senior Recruiter (Former Employee), Seattle, Washington, United StatesMarch 26, 2013
Pros: tuition assistance
Cons: nepotism, cronyism, poor leadership
From day 1 of my employment many of the employees around me were looking for new employment. I quickly realized why. My experience is that the leadership is incompetent and unwilling to embrace the ideas of others. It's a very hierarchical based organization managing top down. The don't budget for the support staff they need but they whine and complain – more... when work doesn't get completed.Turnover is outrageous. The infrastructure doesn't support the scope of their statement of work. No systems or cheap systems are in place. – less
Confindential ? not enough or to much
Relief Cook (Former Employee), WADecember 28, 2012
Pros: zero
Cons: no benefits
A typical day was feeding 75 persons three times a day.
I worked for this company for two years.
Fun workplace
Accountant 1 (Former Employee), Seattle, WADecember 16, 2012
My work at Pioneer Human Services was fun since I was floating accountant. I took a bite of each pie accounting wise. I have a very good relationship with my co-workers.
Hard place to work
Resident monitor 1 (Former Employee), Tacoma, WASeptember 24, 2012
Cons: lack of support from supervisors .
Given that you are working with people that were recently encarcerated you tend to be a little parnoid . The director is more apt to listen to the residents than the monitors . Some employees that were hired should not be working in that field considering their back ground .
PHS
Program Manager (Former Employee), Tacoma, Spanaway and YakimaJuly 3, 2012
Pros: travel
PHS provides many opportunities for professional growth.
Typical day of a resident monitor
Resident Monitor I (Current Employee), Tacoma, WAJune 12, 2012
I sign in, take a headcount of all the residents that are in the house, on special passes (school, counseling) or at work. I write down anything I have to get done during the day it could be rooms searches, cell phone searches; or a number of drug test. I answer the phones all day to notate where every resident is at all times. My co-workers are a lot – more... of fun, we communicate well and work as a team to get our job done. The most enjoyable part of my day is hearing when a resident is being released or if they found a job or housing. – less
always repairing
Maintenance Tech II (Former Employee), Spokane, WAApril 25, 2012
Pros: good employees care about people
Cons: not enought hours in a day, to do everything i wanted to do
I like helping people All facility repairs. Including but not limited to, welding troubleshooting maintenance problems, repairing or replacing linoleum, vinyl and ceramic flooring, all existing interior and exterior structures, carpentry, painting, plumbing and electrical work. Maintenance and repairing of appliances, and general upkeep.

Grounds Keeper/Janitorial. – more... Including but not limited to, mowing, edging, plant placement, trimming of all plants, and general upkeep of grounds. Cleaning of all building surfaces, structures, and fixtures.

Installation, maintenance, operation, and training of all production equipment – less
Social Worker (Former Employee), Seattle, WAApril 24, 2012
I enjoyed helping people and talking to them face to face. I used to sit in the office and walk around in the facility to see if anyone needs some help. I liked all my co-workers as we worked in one team.
Educational and provative promotion of human life
Cook1 (Former Employee), Divison Of Corrections Wa StateMarch 15, 2011
I cooked about two and half years for a transitional house under the umbrella of the pioneer Human service divsion. The particular catagory of government that i worked for is an efficent concept of thought for community development in the trails of error of reform. however, the other catagories of government that I worked for within the pioneer human – more... service divsion since i had work for them since 2003 until 2007.
Are still struggling for power and control of there own reform. Iam personnally just struggling to maintain and find a job where I can do my job without other persons psychological problems interfearing in my work flow. – less