Pittsburgh Glass Works Employee Reviews in United States

Very detailed place to work
Quality Tech (Former Employee) –  Evart, MIJanuary 29, 2016
I enjoyed working for Pittsburgh Glass works. I enjoyed that there was an order to follow and the management was easy to work with. my coworkers were fun to be around. the benefits working for this company were very good.
Pros
Yearly dinners for the employees for doing a good job.
Cons
Hard to get a break in sometimes
Ungodly!
Production Supervisor (Former Employee) –  Creighton, PAMarch 22, 2016
It was nothing but a means to the end. You have no life, but PGW! I moved from hourly to a salary position in a very short period. I thought the job was great the people were great but management?
Pros
Salary was okay.
Cons
No life!
Terrible & Pathetic Company; Don't work there!
Process Engineer (Former Employee) –  Evansville, INAugust 8, 2015
The plant manager and senior value stream managers are the main reasons this company is failing. They have tribal way of thinking and don't take thought into actions and decisions. They have a mindset of a child.
Every week I spent countless hours creating and updating a pathetic power point presentation for the plant manager to present to HIS boss. It included false data to help show that the company was doing better when they were not. I could have spent my time improving production, but no, I was required to make a "fancy" presentation. In meetings, the plant manager and VSMs would treat you like a dog and ridicule you to the point you want to quit every day.
In the interview, they told me it is a 45 hour work week, but it is actually close to 70+. You will have NO life if you are desperate enough to work at PGW! You are ON CALL 24/7 and will get calls at 2 am and will be expected to go into work!
No compensation for overtime or acknowledgment for your hard work. Every worker is just known by a number. The turnover is very high! When someone is fired or quits, the plant manager hands the persons work load onto someone else instead of hiring a replacement.
Don't expect a lot of advancement or getting a raise either. This company will only fail, not succeed!
Pros
Free Smartphone
Cons
inept management, poor pay, overworked labor force, poor benefits
Maintenance Technician (Former Employee) –  Evart, MIMarch 2, 2016
safety is of no concern and you will be asked to perform unsafe tasks depending on the mood of the plant manager. human resources could care less about people and has been fired before from previous jobs for that reason, poor training, lousy working conditions. Take this job only if you need a paycheck, but don't count on keeping it as they have an outrageous turnover in labor. they hire drunks, addicts, convicts, and deadbeats.
Pros
Cons
too many to mention, but safety is no concern to this company
productive, busy atmosphere
Warehouse lead (Current Employee) –  Pittsburgh, PAJuly 14, 2015
no room for financial advancement. shifts are flexible and working environment is fun. team personalities are manageable. customer troubleshooting is challenging, yet gratifying.
Pros
days off are easily approved with proper notice
Cons
no raise or advancement scale
Very difficult place to work
Automotive Glass Inspector (Former Employee) –  Crestline, OHNovember 22, 2015
I had a very difficult time here at PGW, and I feel that a big part of that my age when I started. I was not out of High School long when I first started and the 12-16 hour days 7 days a week really wore me out. I do believe that things would may have been different if I would of had a bit more work experience and understood how important it is to have a good job.
Pros
Great Pay
Cons
Long hours, No days off
Good Company to Work for
IT Coordinator\Plant Support (Current Employee) –  Elkin, NCMarch 26, 2015
I have thoroughly enjoyed working for PGW. They are ahead of their time in technology involving automotive glass. The teamwork amongst the departments, especially IT, is one of the best I have worked for. If it wasn't for needing to move back to Dallas area, I would not be leaving this company, but they do not have facilities or IT needs in this general area that I can transfer to.
Pros
True teamwork environment, good pay, good benefits, and great people. Made a lot of good friends for life.
Cons
none really.
Like owning your own business
Branch Manager (Current Employee) –  Colorado Springs, COFebruary 7, 2016
You get to be the CEO of your own business with the freedom to make decisions with little to no review. Unfortunatley you have little to no input into budgets, goals or long term strategic plans.
Pros
Freedom to run branch without a lot of outside interference
Cons
Little to no input into plans or goal setting
Good Money No Home life
Monitor (Former Employee) –  Evansville, INJanuary 30, 2016
This company works so short handed that you are often forced to do the job of 3 people often 7 days a week 12-16 hr shifts. They force you in on your days off almost every day. The plant is not air conditoned and you are forced to work next to 1500 degree ovens in full body kevlar. They offer no pension or retirement even though they are union. You work every holiday.
Pros
union
Cons
heat
The pay is adequate, but it's draining
Production Worker (Former Employee) –  Evansville, INDecember 8, 2014
I worked here for two years. As time progressed, I gradually wanted to be there less and less due to how management treated the employees as scapegoats for their outdated and faulty 30+ year old equipment. We initially worked 8 hour swing shifts, 7 days a week for months on end. Then, after a labor contract dispute, we switched to working an awkward 12 hour shift schedule. Several employees (myself included) were forced into higher positions and had fingers pointed at us for any and all mishaps. We were tricked into coming in (via ambiguously worded newsletters) during our Christmas vacation, during shutdowns, etc. Many employees abused their FMLA days when holidays were taken away. Many of us were reprimanded for breaking rules and policies that did not exist because that's what happens who are about to reach their maximum hourly pay.
Pros
pay was solid, benefits, vacation
Cons
12 hour shifts, draining, frustrating, poor management
Great experience for organization and driving skills.
Delivery Driver (Former Employee) –  Saginaw, MIJanuary 25, 2016
I was to come in and stock new inventory, also pulled parts for new orders and loaded them onto the proper trucks for delivery. I set up truck routes efficiently and was to make deliveries on time and maintain a great customer experience. I enjoyed being out on the road for deliveries.
Pros
Great work schedules and on the road experiences.
Cons
Laid off a lot.
poor place for employment
A&P Inspector (Former Employee) –  Creighton, PASeptember 29, 2015
The only good thing about working for this company is the pay. That's only because you get forced quite a bit to work the overtime. The union and the management is corrupt. The list goes on with the negative comments but you can take home between $350-$1000 a week if you put in the hours for it.
Pros
Pay
Cons
everything else
Run for your life!!!
Operator/inspector (Current Employee) –  Crestline, OhSeptember 22, 2015
I've been with this company for 6 years...and it SUCKS now! Management has no idea how to properly schedule runs or when to stagger production of one pattern to the next so it is a constant rush on almost all our orders. Quality is poor around the shop when you have new hires, who have only been here for a couple of months , training newer hires. We all swear on the floor they are trying to run this place into the ground. You are known by a number here and that is all..a warm body to throw on the line. Training for new associates is pathetic!
Turn over is so high they are working many of us 7 days a week with no end in site. A couple of my co-workers have been so exhausted they have been in vehicle accidents because they fell asleep at the wheel.. And do you think PGW cared?!? Nope!! Some haven't seen a day off in almost 2 months ! I loved this job when I started...morale is in the toilet now. If you want lots of money but have no family or social life, then this is the job for you! If you value raising your small children then please find something else..we work through holidays, birthdays, anniversaries, weddings, school plays, church functions and whatever else you may want to be involved in with your family. So in closing..RUN AWAY!!
Pros
Cons
Management, Morale, NO DAYS OFF!!!
Substantial amount of SPC data review and process control and capaility projects
Process Engineer (Current Employee) –  Evansville, PAJune 18, 2015
A typical day consists of a morning production meeting, followed by floor time to review the current status of the production line(s). Constant and consistent inteaction with the operators to unsderstand the challenges during production. I have learned how to analyze SPC data, transmitted and reflective optics data, process monitoring foms, and SOPs. The hardest parts of my job are handling the communication between managment, myself,and the employees, and the long hours associated with getting all of the expected work done. The most enjoyable aspect of the job is the feeling of success when the data generated fromm a project yields a good result.
Provides for a good life financially
General Maintenance Man (GMM) (Current Employee) –  Tipton, PAJanuary 20, 2015
Good pay compensation, but have to put in way too many hours to get it, kids are not getting any younger, and I am missing them growing up. Working rotating 12 hour shifts contributes to a pre-existing health issue also.
Pros
pay
Cons
work hours
I the opportunity to work with some really nice people.
Production Worker (Former Employee) –  Evansville, INJune 5, 2015
A typical day would start off with a morning meeting. I really did learn a lot with this company such as how windshields are made, how to measure raw glass and finished product. The process of moving a windshield is really neat. The management team ,they make it work.
The fellow co workers were great, every body has their days but we would always work it out.
The hardest part of the job would be moving windshields with the fork truck there racks high.
The most enjoyable part of the job was when I was in a department called Validation. I felt important.
Pros
Day shift
Cons
Lack of work in the department I was in.
Not a good experience for me at all.
Branch Manager (Former Employee) –  Norcross, GASeptember 1, 2015
If you enjoy having to work six days a week with absolutely no family life this might be the place for you. Morale is very low and Managers are chewed up and spit out here.
Pros
Good price on windshields if ever needed.
Cons
No upper Management support at all.
Not that bad.
Operator (Current Employee) –  Tipton, PAJuly 1, 2015
I am a line operator and it's not that bad if the supervisors can leave you alone. Good money for a limited amount of work. Too bad management has its head stuck up their *** and don't know what to do half the time. If the plant was ran by people who held a job on the lines it'd be a lot better. But all in all if you don't mind 12 hours and a possibility of being stuck on nightshift you should apply.
Pros
Good money, Easy work
Cons
Management, Management, Management
This company could care less about its employees!
maintenance (Current Employee) –  Crestline, OHNovember 5, 2015
Since this facility is one of the biggest in the PGW family of plants, the management team here year after year over sell or bite off more than they can chew. They over commit how much glass they can produce and then squarely place the burden of bailing them out of their own stupidity on the employees backs. A sixteen days out of a month, 12 hours a day work week was established so overtime would be minimal. Now, due to the negligence of the current management, employees are forced to work seven days a week. Turnover is at an all-time high. Salaried employees are leaving as fast as hourly employees. This facility runs automotive glass on antiquated, faulty equipment that was never built to be run twenty four hours a day, seven days a week. Management has over committed this plant so much so that, they won't even allow maintenance an adequate amount of time to properly repair the equipment. Management expects a quality product to be produced from machines that can't be maintained properly and employees who aren't trained properly. The union that is in place here, is in total disarray. The employees hate the union and feel like it does a complete disservice for the amount in union dues they pay each month. Morale in this facility is as low as it gets. That is not an opinion either, that is a blatant fact! Management finds more reasons to terminate employees (and yes, good ones) than they do trying to retain them. Two men are in upper management are solely responsible for most of the issues that are prevalent on the shop floor. No holidays off, no time for your  more... family if you have one. People walking in right off the street make as much as some tenured employees. Again, this is not an opinion, this is factual. If you want any kind of semblance of a "normal life", stay away from here!!!  less
Pros
Lots of overtime and money
Cons
No life or time with family. Work, eat, sleep, repeat.....24/7 365
Good Money,Horrible company
CNC operator (Former Employee) –  Crestline, OHAugust 5, 2015
The management of this company is bound and determined to run it into the ground. This company treats its employees as numbers on paper instead of like the human beings they actually are.
Pros
decent pay
Cons
completely mismanaged

2.9