Pittsburgh Glass Works Employee Reviews

Excellent work enviornment
Maintenance Mechanic (Former Employee) –  Evansville, INJanuary 18, 2018
Of all my employment experiences this company was the most enjoyable with ample opportunities for advancement. It was like a family away from home. I would highly recommend taking the opportunity if it were to present itself.
Pros
Advancement opportunities
Cons
Brutal, but tolerable for a few months
Ky - Final Inspector (Former Employee) –  Berea, KYJanuary 10, 2018
Constant turnover and chronic understaffing are the name of the game here, as is constant mandatory overtime pushing weekly hours to 50 or more. You can be throw from one job to another with zero warning, and it was hard to go a week without some piece of equipment failing for hours at a time. And the managers don't seem to pay too much attention to the overtime rules, you basically can't refuse to work outside your normal hours. There were people working as many as 10 or 12 consecutive days while trying to go to school. The PGW managers/higher level staff can get away with just about anything, like however-long-they-want smoke breaks whenever they want, but they'll snap at the people actually working to go faster.
Pros
Lots of overtime, Fun coworkers
Cons
Brutal working conditions in summer, low pay for SMX hires, Constant mandatory overtime.
very productive and fast pace.
sidelite offloader (Former Employee) –  Berea, KYDecember 30, 2017
Great people to work with. there's always overtime if you want/need it.
clean and prepared with help all around if you ever need a hand.
and there's always side work to be done if you hit your quota early.
PGW Creighton
Maintenance Engineering Technician (Current Employee) –  Creighton, PADecember 6, 2017
Some of the management is supportive and encouraging. But overall facility management and production scheduling lacks sense. Also there is no work and personal life balance.
Pros
Good people
Cons
More overtime than ever desired
low pay and long hours
Inspector /Lamination (Former Employee) –  Tipton, PADecember 5, 2017
Low pay and long hours. not much room for advancement. the job is very repetitive and gets boring really quick. They wont let you leave for lunch so you have to pack something
Great job
Inspector (Former Employee) –  Elkin, NCNovember 25, 2017
PGW was a great company to work for. They recent sold it to Vitro and some of there business strategies are questionable. The pay and the hours are still all the same though.
Not organized
Operator (Former Employee) –  Creighton, PANovember 17, 2017
It was a good place to work when I first started then we got sold and the work and production went down hill then we were told that we would be shut down in 9 months
Maintenance culture
Maintenance Mechanic (Current Employee) –  Creighton, PAOctober 11, 2017
Typical day involves doing preventative maintenance and responding to maintenance calls. I gained great knowledge of maintenance techniques while working with some of the older technicians.
lack of morale
Pant Laborer/ Cold End Operator (Current Employee) –  Creighton, PAOctober 9, 2017
there really is no hard job, but it's just very repetitive, i did learn more than i wanted to know about making front windshields for cars. management was alright, but there was a lack of communication throughout the whole facility.
Hot and stressful.
SAG Furnace Operator (Current Employee) –  Evart, MIOctober 6, 2017
Very stressful position in a very hot and noisy environment. Daily confusion in the coordination of production and scheduling. Twelve hours days with frequent forced overtime due to insufficient staffing.
Pros
It's close to home.
great place to work
Production Worker/Forklift Operator (Former Employee) –  Evansville, INOctober 5, 2017
The only negative is they could pay more. Great place to cross train in different departments. great work schedule. lots of opportunities for overtime, if you don't want overtime, lots of time off.
Pros
working conditions, management
Cons
could pay more
Fast paced environment
Forklift Operator/Material Handler (Current Employee) –  Elkin, NCSeptember 18, 2017
It's a fast paced environment with very little growth in the company. Management is poor. Long hours.hardly no days off. The pay is an over average for this area.
Cons
No advancement poor management long hours
Fast paced and room for advancement
Relief Operator/Inspector (Former Employee) –  Crestline, OHSeptember 1, 2017
Employees start by training to inspect all glass for defects and flaws. I was able to learn to cut and temper raw glass into finished product. Management was always willing to help you out. Moving at a fast paced environment and picking up glass off of a moving conveyor can get a little bit overwhelming and stressful. PGW offered overtime to all employees which we all appreciated.
Pros
Overtime
Cons
Lack of training on machines
production
Production Worker (Former Employee) –  Creighton, PAAugust 29, 2017
This was a facility under Union control which produced windshields.
In the first year while working there we worked 10 months straight without a day off which meant you would finish up on Sunday at 3:00pm and have to be back out that same night at 11:00pm. While you made a lot of money because people were so exhausted there were also, a lot of accidents . Management was not very good either.
I trained in five different positions and worked along side of people who had been doing this job for years. I liked production work and liked the people I worked with. I learned a lot while working there.
Pros
making money
Cons
You had no home life.
Great company to work for if you can handle swing shift.
Packer/Machine Operator (Former Employee) –  Meadville, PAAugust 15, 2017
Overall it was a nice place to work but the swing shift was brutal. Pay was excellent , benefits were even better, and last but not least the co workers were awesome.
Pros
Breaks, Pay, Benefits
Cons
Swing Shift
Whole organization lacks communication
Senior Business Analyst (Current Employee) –  Pittsburgh, PAAugust 13, 2017
Communication is non existent at PGW. You never really know where you stand and management generally keeps to themselves. Information is rarely shared below the management level and when it finally is, the information is already irrelevant.
PGW Overall
Human Resources Specialist (Former Employee) –  Elkin, NCJuly 23, 2017
Enjoyed my job greatly but some of the management was uncontrollable. My job was very busy and fast paced, never a dull moment. My job was not hard just busy and I was the only one in HR besides the manager and she stayed in meetings. I did it all! The most enjoyable part of my job was helping the employees and speaking with them. I am a people person and was looked down for that though HR is supposed to have an open door policy. That is why most came to my office for help. I listen to them and helped to the best of my ability making them top priority. If it was not for them I would not have been where I was. I followed company policy and made sure employees needs were met.
Pros
Pay was great, provided company phone and 2 weeks vacation from the start
Cons
No compliments, very negative management
Elkin NC
Operator (Current Employee) –  Elkin, NCJuly 20, 2017
This place not only hires you to work one schedule BUT requires you to work OT. Ex. hired Mon-Thurs but required to work Fri Sat and Sunday's Most weeks. How can anyone make plans with their families, or there children? They may hire you to work First and then just come to you and say, you are going to Nights, or they may have call outs and you end up working 22 plus hours straight. This place is so cruel! Pay is good, but everything else is horrible!
Pros
Good Pay
Cons
Everything!!!!! This place does everything in your power to make your life miserable!
Great Summer Job
Packer Operator/ Summer Help (Current Employee) –  Meadville, PAJuly 18, 2017
It has been a joy working for this company the past two summers. They treat you like a full time employee and always appreciate your hard work. I couldn't ask for a better place to work as a college student trying to make some money for school.
Pros
Appreciate Hard Work
Cons
Hot Manual Labor
Great atmosphere
Packer Operator (Former Employee) –  Meadville, PAJune 27, 2017
the boss is very nice and easy to work for. the hardest part of the job is the smell, the heat of the summer and the cold of the winter. family operated farm and just a good family.