Pittsburgh Job Corps Center Employee Reviews

A very good employer, very rewarding
Manager of Career Technical Training (Current Employee) –  Highland Park, PANovember 9, 2017
A very good employer (there are two), sometimes frustrating working with the clients, the young adults. Disadvantaged youth, low drive and poor education, but very rewarding to help those young adults who want to lead productive lives and those who desire to acquire hard trade skills regardless of their abilities.

The staff always above and beyond trying to help the young adults achieve the skill set and personal attributes to succeed in their chosen vocation.

A great feeling when students secure rewarding employment and let you you know how they appreciate your involvement and guidance helping them succeed.
Pros
Challenging work
Cons
Two corporations operating the center causing confusion
great place to further education
Student Worker (Former Employee) –  Pittsburgh, PANovember 7, 2017
I was a student at Job Corps. Its a great place to further your education, meet new people and prepare you for the work force. I would recommend anyone to attend job corps.
Pros
Free education, housing meals
Cons
very poor leadership, instructors are great management was a complete mess
Not consistent
N/a (Former Employee) –  Pittsburgh, PASeptember 20, 2017
Wouldn't recommend. I wish I would've have asked why the position I had was open during my interview. Not a welcoming place at all. Overall experience was strange.
Pros
1 hr lunch
Cons
The environment was not your average, thats for sure.
na
Electrician Helper (Former Employee) –  Pittsburgh, PASeptember 6, 2017
job corps helps a lot with a individual that wants to be successful is his or her trade as much as you are in the books are as much of hands on training
great place to work
career guidance counselor (Current Employee) –  Pittsburgh, PAJune 30, 2017
excellent place to begin your career and make a difference in the lives of the disadvantaged population. you will find a lot of compassionate staff who care.
Pros
$2.00 lunches
Cons
student terminations
uncomfortable environment
Cook (Former Employee) –  Pittsburgh, PAJune 3, 2017
They are very unstructured, unorganized and they have no leadership.They hav bad pay, high turnover, high benefits and they don't care about their employees. They like to burn out their employees.
very disiplined
Facilities Maintenance (Former Employee) –  Pittsburgh, PAMarch 29, 2017
the Pittsburgh Job Corps is a place that helps you succeed. I came to job corps to receive my high school diploma and learn the ways of facility maintenance
great place
Facilities Maintenance (Former Employee) –  Pittsburgh, PAMarch 21, 2017
this is a very great place I was a student here and also worked here im about to graduate soon and I will need a job when I go back home to Philadelphia I loved working here
Pros
lots of experience
Cons
cold weather
provided structure
Electrician (Former Employee) –  Pittsburgh, PAJanuary 18, 2017
Jobs corps was a mixture between schooling and work. I lived on campus and was taught the basics of powered tools, hand tools, hydraulics, and pneumatic tools. I was introduced to PLC's, and solar systems, and just a pinch of plumbing
Pros
free room and board
Cons
its more helpful for install than it is for maintenance and troubleshooting
Innovative practices
Weatherization Student (Former Employee) –  Pittsburgh, PaJuly 7, 2015
A typical day was composed of hanging drywall, using spray foam on a practice wall on class property, working with maintenance to repair water pipes or parking lot lights on campus, and doing landscaping and work in the on-campus greenhouse.
Pros
Free lunches
Cons
company culture
too many changes
Coordinator (Former Employee) –  Pittsburgh, PAJuly 1, 2015
the work day was very boring, I advanced quickly but left after year. staff was ok, kids were better. glad I left for a better a paying job.
Education & Training
Residential Coordinator (Current Employee) –  Pittsburgh, PAMay 28, 2015
Job Corps teaches at risk youth various behaviors associated with education, gaining employable skills , and independent living skills. Students are assessed via case notes on working progress, discipline, and individualized behavior skills along with family life planning..
Pros
flexiable work hours
Cons
benifits
It was okay
Customer Service Associate (Current Employee) –  Pittsburgh, PAMay 21, 2015
The work day was a regular day. But I liked the trainning part it was worth doing. Everything else was false advertising.
Pros
sleeping arangements
My review
Weatherization Technician (Former Employee) –  Pittsburgh, PAApril 15, 2015
Pittsburgh Job Corps was like any other job corps cross the U.S.
I learned to apply spray foaming to buildings interiors, learn to install
fiberglass insulation with the addition of hanging drywall to hold it down. my co workers were my peers or classmates, we all worked towards making our future brighter and better. the job was sometimes stressful, that's what made it hard for us all. The most enjoyable part of the program would be, we all had fun working together. we learned from each other, even though we sometimes didn't like each other sometimes.
Pittsburgh Job Corps
Nurse Aide Trainee (Former Employee) –  Pittsburgh, PAJuly 9, 2014
I was a CNA trainee. But I almost had educational classes to. The environment is great. Loved the teachers & staff.
Academic instruction for challenged youth.
Office Administration Instructor/Trainer (Former Employee) –  Pittsburgh, PAApril 9, 2014
Working in conjunction with set forth federal standards, passionately provided learning objectives to a student body of academically and socially challenged young adults, ranging in age from sixteen to twenty-four years old.
Implementing an interactive learning environment, guided the students toward proficiently in the MS Office Suite, accounting procedures, Internet navigation, essential keyboarding skills, and proper call etiquette essential in a call center environment.
Completed daily assessments’ including one-on-one professional counseling; serving a population of sixty to seventy students.
Shop
General Laborer (Former Employee) –  Pittsburgh, PAMarch 24, 2014
Was fun exciting day in shop every morning. I learned I learned how work well with others in the field of working on a job site & handling a project on my own. My co-workers was young mined but as they seen me get to work & get the job done right they followed up you can say i was a team leader. Hardest part about my job was getting everyone on the same page so we can get the job done on time or right. The most enjoyable part of my job was seeing the project that was giving to me done right to hear from my instructors good job malcolm thats how you get the job done right & to get my co-workers working & taking the job sites serious.
Productive and fun place to work
Dietary Aide (Former Employee) –  Pittsburgh, PAJanuary 16, 2014
this is a typically fun place to work, I learned how to prepare meals and serve others, the management was amazing, my co-workers were typical people, the managers expectations were very difficult to live up to, making all the delicious food and getting to eat it too.
fun work
Culinary Arts Program Trainee (Former Employee) –  Pittsburgh, PADecember 18, 2013
The typical work day was simple and fun, I learned how to perfect my art style and technique. Management was okay and my co-worker were awesome and as willing to work as I was. Was me Quitting because of an injury I had gotten. Was creating things and pictures, murals and the concepts that went with it.
Pros
Fun work environment
Cons
Pay wasn't satisfactory
Good company to work for
Residential Advisor (Former Employee) –  Pittsburgh, PANovember 18, 2013
Job Corps is a good company to work for offering career advancement, training, management and educational opportunities.