Pittsburgh Public Schools Employee Reviews

Relaxed and Rigorous
Adjunct Lecturer (Current Employee) –  Pittsburgh, PAOctober 10, 2017
I adore my job. My students are sweet, polite (especially considering that it's a city public school), and ready to learn. Because CAPA is an art magnet school, the culture is a bit more lax than that of other schools: the administration acknowledges that many of our talents lie in practical artistic applications and adjust accordingly. I'm only a part time teacher, so I can't speak to any benefits, but people seem satisfied. The union is well represented in the school anyways, just in case. They've been working on updating teacher contracts for the past two years, though, so I fear some benefits and other policies may have been halted. I'm quite new to the place, so I can't attest to that very well.
Craziness
Security Officer (Current Employee) –  AlringtonOctober 4, 2017
I work at Arlington K - 8 and from 8:45am until 4:15pm it's a mad house. kid's and always walking out of class then running the hallways. The kid's are totally disrespectfully to the staff cursing teachers out and talking and adult some. Kid's are always fighting on a daily basis. I'm supposed to be a security guard but my daily job consist of counseling, teacher, father figure, disciplinary etc... My secretary told me I go on 100 or more calls a day.
Pros
Overtime, Benefits
Cons
Hard to take a lunch break, very stressful
Substitute
Substitute Teacher (Former Employee) –  Pittsburgh, PASeptember 20, 2017
IEP goals are monitored and assessed weekly, and Functional Behavior Assessments were completed to address specific behavioral challenges with students. Positive Behavior Support Plans were created to address target behaviors with students, and classroom wide Positive Behavior Incentives were used to continue to motivate students in the classroom. Students individual needs were constantly being evaluated, and their educational plans, whether their needs be more appropriate for a self-contained or an inclusive setting, were considered and planned with the rest of the IEP team and classroom teachers.
Teachers & Staff work harder than students!
Math Teacher (Current Employee) –  Pittsburgh, PASeptember 5, 2017
STUDENTS should be held accountable for lack of success or attendance, as well as for proper behavior, not the teachers.
C'mon society this isn't helping anyone! While they do need loved, they don't need coddled, or enabled.
Pros
Healthcare
Cons
Administration
Very difficult to find a full time job with benefits...at that time.
Substitute Teacher (Former Employee) –  Pittsburgh, PASeptember 5, 2017
Every day was something different. One day you might be in an elementary school. The next day you might be in a high school. The hardest part was never establishing long term relationships. The most enjoyable part of the jb was discovering the city and its' people.
Pros
Discovering the city and its' people.
Cons
No benefits.
Good place to work.
Substitute Teacher (Current Employee) –  Pittsburgh, PAAugust 10, 2017
Good place to work. The job can become stressful, but nevertheless, if you like kids and challenges its good. The hardest part of the job is classroom management.
Special Education Supervisor Pittsburgh Public Schools
Special Education Supervisor (Former Employee) –  Pittsburgh, PAAugust 8, 2017
Pittsburgh Public Schools provided opportunities for me to grow both as a supervisor for teachers and as a curriculum instructor. A typical work day involved meeting with teachers, parents, students, and administrators. The most enjoyable component of the job was finding solutions to provide the best educational programming for students with the other team members and providing ongoing educational instruction to the teachers.
Exciting and fun workplace
Substitute Teacher (Former Employee) –  Downtown, PAJuly 26, 2017
A stressful at times, but very fun work environment. I learned a lot about child psychology, more specifically, how to work with children in delicate situations. From this job I gained quick decision making skills.
Quality Colleagues eager to help in an environment that is extremely stressful, humilitating, hostile and hateful.
Special Education Teacher (Former Employee) –  Pittsburgh, PAJuly 26, 2017
Stressful. inner city students surrounded by poor examples of drugs death and self destruction. Watch Freedom Writers and omit the happy ending. You will understand better.

Stressful: Administrators blame teacher for lack of learning in students who do not attend on a regular basis, have broken, violent families, cant read, don't study, are homeless, abused etc...
This frustrates teachers. Most leave in 3-5 years.

WEAK UNION

Success: getting smiles and joy from a child and his or her family when learning takes place! There is a change in attitude as this family gains your trust and lets you in.

Supportive Staff

Outstanding Benefit Package
Pros
Staff, Colleagues, professiobnal development, benefits
Cons
weak union, tyranical administrators, unrealistic expecataions, poor parent participation
Stressful, Backbiting, Racial Tensions
Paraprofessional (Current Employee) –  Pittsburgh, PAJuly 26, 2017
Very stressful, and always looking over my shoulder, to see what was coming next, people are not honest, cordial, or caring. Principals need training.
Pros
Health, Dental, Vision, Retirement Sick Days and Life Insurance.
Cons
Short Breaks, Dishonesty, Racial Tensions, Unprofessional Co-workers, Cut-throat Culture
nice to have holidays off
prep food, serve food, clean table food line (Former Employee) –  Pittsburgh, PAJuly 24, 2017
most have commonsense
great for mom
physical
fun to get a different incite to the school system
flexible to snow days
variety of cultures between children and employees
could have been better
Elementary Learning Support Teacher (Former Employee) –  Pittsburgh, PAJuly 21, 2017
Teacher tried to support each other, so we could help the students. administration was not real supportive and neither was was the anyone else willing to help the teachers.
Great place to work.
Food Service Worker (Current Employee) –  Pittsburgh, PAJuly 21, 2017
I have worked there for a few yrs and pretty accommodating to my needs. I was only a 10 month employee so having the summers off was always a plus and you got whatever holiday off the kids had off.
School District is run abysmally
Guidance Counselor (Former Employee) –  Pittsburgh, PAJuly 4, 2017
I enjoyed working for a decade and a half with the students and the teachers. The District is managed poorly at best ! They do not protect their teachers allow them to be physically assaulted with no consequences to the student as they want to keep them in the district to keep enrollment up. Too many experimental programs and schools in this district. The districts is always looking for any opportunity to get more grants and the expectation is to try something new with the money which always ends up in a failure they close the program or school and start again. The culture of the district years ago was very good and a pleasure to work you could be creative in the classroom and also have fun with the other teachers in the school making the work day enjoyable. This all changed throughout the district, it became the teachers vs District management and soon became a very toxic environment to work in.
Pros
Great Pay, Great Benefits, ability to change children's lives, summers off
Cons
horrible working conditions, toxic environment, very stressful
Not a good fit
Librarian, Various Locations (Former Employee) –  Pittsburgh, PAJune 30, 2017
Great benefits, no job security, and lousy administrators. Evaluation procedures are not fair, because they put you in difficult situations then expect you to be able to do everything.
Benefits
Cons
No job security
Fast Days
Physical Education Teacher/Coach (Former Employee) –  Pittsburgh, PAJune 20, 2017
Teaching comes easy to me and it never feels like work. My life is dedicated to building the character of my students so that they become good, solid, successful people.
Watchimg our children grow. with fun learnimg.
CLASSROOM ASSISTANT (Current Employee) –  Pittsburgh, PAJune 5, 2017
Typical day is working with children on there day to day skills. Work with children with special needs with support from family, makes my job rewarding and fun.
Wages
Substitute Paraprofessional (Current Employee) –  Pittsburgh, PAApril 17, 2017
While working at Pittsburgh Public Schools, currently at Pittsburgh Liberty International Elementary School K-5, being that I am only a substitute paraprofessional, I do not qualify for higher wages nor benefits.
Bureaucracy
Executive Assistant (Current Employee) –  Pittsburgh, PAApril 9, 2017
Working for a government bureaucracy means good benefits but a dismal culture. Strong union backing means that folks often become complacent and the work load must be picked up by administrators. Difficult to achieve work/personal life balance.
Pros
Great benefits
Cons
Employee burn out and low morale
If you have no soul apply!
Sales Associate (Current Employee) –  Pittsburgh, PAMarch 21, 2017
A typical work day involves waiting for those who get paid to make the decisions come in and then hope they have time to talk to you. PPS is poorly managed, and it shows by the employee turnaround unless you know someone and then you get promoted if not then you will end up being treated poorly and spoken down to for most of your day. The hardest part of the job is walking through the doors and keeping your mouth shut to at least get one more paycheck in. You do get paid well but, you ultimately pay a bigger price - mental sanity, family, and social life.