Pittsburgh Public Schools

Pittsburgh Public Schools Employer Reviews

Highly Effective School District
Social Studies, ELA, and ESL Teacher (Former Employee), Pittsburgh, PAOctober 7, 2013
This school district strives to ignite a passion for learning in environments that are safe, welcoming and that embrace students' individual differences and needs.
excellent and fullfilling work environment
Supply Clerk II (Former Employee), Pittsburgh, PAAugust 28, 2013
Pros: had a great career before retiring in 1999
Processed supply orders. worked hand and hand with the principal. Answered phones daily in main office. Assisted the Principal and kept a running account of the school budget.
Inner City School District
School Psychologist (Former Employee), Pittsburgh, PAAugust 15, 2013
Pros: great colleagues, support systems among psychologists
Cons: challenging population
I performed all the duties of a School Psychologist in the Public School District in Puittsburgh, PA
dont expect it to be a career
Budget Analyst (Current Employee), Pittsburgh, PAJune 6, 2013
Pros: good benefits
Cons: no advancement, no raises, terrible work environment
Badly mismanaged. No advancement potential. Typical political system.
Train wreck
Thankfully a former PPS math teacher (Former Employee), PittsburghMay 23, 2013
Pros: health benefits
Cons: school culture & admin
This district is horrible. On site admin understaffed while the central office admin is completely incompetent. The expectation is for teachers to allow any and all behaviors to occur in the classroom with no consequence for the students. This is because the admin is negatively affected by higher suspension rates. Students are savvy enough to know this – more... and act accordingly.
As a teacher and parent, the only reason I have not purchased a house in the city is because of the schools. It's truly a disaster,and I suspect the district won't exist in the next 6-10years. Students will go to charter schools or neighboring districts with Pgh residents' tax money following the students. – less
Difficult but rewarding
Full Time Substitute Teacher (English) (Former Employee), Pittsburgh, PAMay 7, 2013
Poor work stability and no sense of security, curriculum is not as good as it could potentially be
Highly stressful
Classroom math teacher (Former Employee), ColfaxApril 17, 2013
Administration, union and academic coaches not supportive
Nepotism
Teachers overworked and underappreciated
I am assigned to a fantastic school with wonderful staff to work with
Chief Lunch Aid - Grandview Elementary (Current Employee), Beechwood Elementary, Pittsburgh, PAMarch 2, 2013
Pros: working with children and staff
Cons: the pay, no healthcare
A typical day for me would certainly depend on what day it is. As a
Cafeteria Manager I am responsible for a variety of tasks. Each day entails using the program software to order the correct quantity of lunches, fruits and vegetables for our lunch and Early Childhood program to meet the dietary needs of our students

I maintain paperwork, meal counts – more... for the state which are recorded and reported daily, supply orders, dairy orders as well as receiving these orders daily.

My position also entails cooking and preparing meals, as well as taking temperatures of all foods prepared so as to maintain health department standards for safe food handling. I also have my Serv-Safe certification, which is required for food preparation.

My co-workers that I supervise daily are a good support system, We all have to work together each day to get the job done.

There really is no hard part of my job. I enjoy working with my staff and the children each day. – less
The PPS are working hard to raise achievement scores, close racial gaps and to become a school of choice.
ESL Itinerant Teacher (Current Employee), Pittsburgh, PAJanuary 19, 2013
Pros: great salary and benefits
Cons: extended days/year
Currently my day runs from 7 - 3. I teach six ESL/ELA classes, have daily instructional rounds, a weekly advisory class, and I participate in Courageous Conversations and Core Curriculum Standards PD. I have learned to accept non-closure and to focus on higher order thinking skills. My co-workers also have differentiated leadership roles in the building – more... and are great collaborators. The most enjoyable part of the job is that we are all giving 110% of ourselves and the effort is being rewarded with greater academic excellence. – less
Very trying and stressful.
Student Data Systems Specialist/Chief Secretary (Former Employee), Pittsburgh, PADecember 30, 2012
Typical day at work was on edge. Learned how to take it all in with a grain of salt. Management and co-workers n/a. Hardest part of the job was not knowing if you would have a job or not and if so what school from year to year. Getting to know the children was the most enjoyable part of the job.
Love of Education
Allderdice High School Math Teacher (Current Employee), Pittsburgh, PAMay 15, 2012
I love to teach students the mathematical concepts in which they are to understand in order for them to graduate. Also, I like that I have great co-workers that like to learn how to use the technology that is available to them. It is fun to teach them how to use it.
Great Place To Work. No Room For Advancement
Educational Assistant (Former Employee), Pittsburgh, PAMarch 13, 2012
Pros: make a differnce in the youth, great benefits, good pay, summers off, holidays off, freedom to spend time with your family
Cons: no room for advancement, no tuition reimbursment
Although I would work there again, and PPS offers great job security, there is no room for advancement. One can easily get stuck in the rut of what would seem to be an easy job and repetitive pattern every year! There should be programs available for individuals who desire to progress with guaranteed hire upon qualifications and open positions.
enjoyed the studentd
Business/Marketing Teacher (Former Employee), Pittsburgh, PAJanuary 16, 2012
Pros: the great students and teachers
Cons: bad principals
i really loved working with the students, i really did not like the ideals of the principals i worked with