Pittsburgh Public Schools Employee Reviews

Productive and friendly environment
Food Service Worker (Former Employee) –  Pittsburgh, PAFebruary 1, 2016
Professional management with productive and friendly environment. Training was very thorough with nice advancements and raises. Very professional and friendly co workers.
Pros
Free lunches
Cons
Short breaks and no healthcare
Poor Poor Poor
Substitute Teacher (Current Employee) –  Pittsburgh, PANovember 28, 2016
Things are provided to support students or employees. When you need something you usually get the run around and people tend to worry more about putting things off then taking them by the horns.
This is a good job for a parent looking for same days off as kids.
Lunch Aide/Food Service (Former Employee) –  food serviceApril 20, 2016
Generally, for a parent looking for a part time job that offers the same days off as their children in the school system, this is a reasonable job.
The culture of under staffed, overworked, high responsibility work is challenging.
Yet, it's a chance to learn more about the school system.
Good experience
Elementary Teacher (Current Employee) –  Pittsburgh, PA 15217August 21, 2016
Typical work day for a teacher, meetings 3-4 times a week. Data used often to drive instruction. Professional development opportunities are few and far between though.
Train wreck
Thankfully a former PPS math teacher (Former Employee) –  PittsburghMay 23, 2013
This district is horrible. On site admin understaffed while the central office admin is completely incompetent. The expectation is for teachers to allow any and all behaviors to occur in the classroom with no consequence for the students. This is because the admin is negatively affected by higher suspension rates. Students are savvy enough to know this and act accordingly.
As a teacher and parent, the only reason I have not purchased a house in the city is because of the schools. It's truly a disaster,and I suspect the district won't exist in the next 6-10years. Students will go to charter schools or neighboring districts with Pgh residents' tax money following the students.
Pros
Health benefits
Cons
School culture & admin
Great Place To Work. No Room For Advancement
Educational Assistant (Former Employee) –  Pittsburgh, PAMarch 13, 2012
Although I would work there again, and PPS offers great job security, there is no room for advancement. One can easily get stuck in the rut of what would seem to be an easy job and repetitive pattern every year! There should be programs available for individuals who desire to progress with guaranteed hire upon qualifications and open positions.
Pros
make a differnce in the youth, great benefits, good pay, summers off, holidays off, freedom to spend time with your family
Cons
no room for advancement, no tuition reimbursment
Good Place to Give to the Community
Substitute Teacher (Current Employee) –  Pittsburgh, PAMay 14, 2016
Board of Education is a good place to work. Substitute teacher position was a good place to work if you have a family. The hours are good and you get to have summers off with your children if you plan to have a family.
I was a day to day substitute teacher.
Substitute Teacher (Former Employee) –  Pittsburgh, PADecember 3, 2015
It was very difficult to work in a number of the schools on a day to day basis. Many children had serious behavioral issues which made it difficult to teach on a daily basis.
Pros
Excellent experience working with children.
Cons
Management was not always supportive.
Great people and just an overall great environment.
Substitute Light Cleaner (Former Employee) –  Pittsburgh, PAJanuary 4, 2014
I loved this company and the people I worked for. Everyone lent a helping hand at all times and I never felt left out. We all worked together while having fun doing it. The job security was great and the pay was above average. A lot of room for advancements as well.
Pros
great pay, benefits, vacation
Cons
late hours
Schools
Teacher (Current Employee) –  Pittsburgh, PAMarch 31, 2016
Schools are not run by the administration, they are run by the students. It's dangerous and not worth the money. I would not recommend it at all.
The PPS are working hard to raise achievement scores, close racial gaps and to become a school of choice.
ESL Itinerant Teacher (Current Employee) –  Pittsburgh, PAJanuary 19, 2013
Currently my day runs from 7 - 3. I teach six ESL/ELA classes, have daily instructional rounds, a weekly advisory class, and I participate in Courageous Conversations and Core Curriculum Standards PD. I have learned to accept non-closure and to focus on higher order thinking skills. My co-workers also have differentiated leadership roles in the building and are great collaborators. The most enjoyable part of the job is that we are all giving 110% of ourselves and the effort is being rewarded with greater academic excellence.
Pros
great salary and benefits
Cons
extended days/year
dont expect it to be a career
Budget Analyst (Current Employee) –  Pittsburgh, PAJune 6, 2013
Badly mismanaged. No advancement potential. Typical political system.
Pros
good benefits
Cons
no advancement, no raises, terrible work environment
Very trying and stressful.
Student Data Systems Specialist/Chief Secretary (Former Employee) –  Pittsburgh, PADecember 30, 2012
Typical day at work was on edge. Learned how to take it all in with a grain of salt. Management and co-workers n/a. Hardest part of the job was not knowing if you would have a job or not and if so what school from year to year. Getting to know the children was the most enjoyable part of the job.
excellent and fullfilling work environment
Supply Clerk II (Former Employee) –  Pittsburgh, PAAugust 28, 2013
Processed supply orders. worked hand and hand with the principal. Answered phones daily in main office. Assisted the Principal and kept a running account of the school budget.
Pros
had a great career before retiring in 1999
Productive and Fun workplace
Long-Term Substitute Teacher (Former Employee) –  Pittsburgh, PAMarch 30, 2015
It is a great place to work at. I have learned how to write IEP's and many behavior management plans and how to go about classroom management.
Secondary Math Teacher
Secondary Math Teacher Grades (Former Employee) –  Pittsburgh, PAOctober 30, 2014
Educated students in the fields of General Math, Algebra, and Geometry; Daily - Managed, Mentored, Supported, Guided, Advised, and Encouraged approximately 100 pre-teen and teenage students; Daily - Collected, Analyzed, and Evaluated data to Assign appropriate grades; Interacted frequently with public; Collaborated with other teachers to Designed and Developed interdisciplinary units; Served on various curriculum/textbook selection committees; Piloted several different math curriculums for the Pittsburgh School District
I am assigned to a fantastic school with wonderful staff to work with
Chief Lunch Aid - Grandview Elementary (Current Employee) –  Beechwood Elementary, Pittsburgh, PAMarch 2, 2013
A typical day for me would certainly depend on what day it is. As a
Cafeteria Manager I am responsible for a variety of tasks. Each day entails using the program software to order the correct quantity of lunches, fruits and vegetables for our lunch and Early Childhood program to meet the dietary needs of our students

I maintain paperwork, meal counts for the state which are recorded and reported daily, supply orders, dairy orders as well as receiving these orders daily.

My position also entails cooking and preparing meals, as well as taking temperatures of all foods prepared so as to maintain health department standards for safe food handling. I also have my Serv-Safe certification, which is required for food preparation.

My co-workers that I supervise daily are a good support system, We all have to work together each day to get the job done.

There really is no hard part of my job. I enjoy working with my staff and the children each day.
Pros
working with children and staff
Cons
the pay, no healthcare
Teaching at the Pittsburgh Public Schools has been my bliss.
Teacher (Current Employee) –  Pittsburgh, PAMarch 15, 2015
As a first grade teacher, a typical workday included instructing students in the basic skills for reading math, social studies and science. I learned that the most important way to teach students is to make sure that they are totally engaged at all times. I also learned that the children are the most important consideration. Any decisions made should only be considered in the context of what is best for the children, no matter what colleagues think. Overcoming what colleagues think is probably the most difficult aspect of the job because while ideologies may differ, colleagues are always an invaluable resource. My current co-workers are fun to work with as well as particularly bright and innovating. Do we butt heads sometimes? Yes and that's when we have met and conquered our most difficult challenges. The proof of that is in our collective results. We have been a star school for the past two years. Consequentially, we have been designated as a Distinguished Star School - one of only ten in the entire state. That can only happen with a collaborative staff, a great leader, and an ideal working environment. The most enjoyable part of the job is meeting the challenge of growing students academically and seeing positive results. These results are affirming and show me that I am on the right track and that all of the hard work has been worth it.
Pros
A feeling of empowerment, great co-workers, great healthcare and fantastic salary
Cons
Too many people at the top trying to run the show, not enough money or support for principals and their site based budgets
Awesome place to work
Assistant Teacher (Current Employee) –  Pittsburgh, PAAugust 10, 2014
Very Productive workplace filled with caring and professional teachers who's constant strive, is the success of students in all aspects of life. We have a vas amount of materials to ensure that each student has access to whatever is needed to make their educational experience fun and productive.
Pros
Easy access to whatever educational materials needed for student sucess.
Cons
Administrative understanding at times
I enjoyed working at PPS. I was a student teacher there so many aspects of the work place such as salary, benefits, etc., did not pertain to me.
Student Teacher (Former Employee) –  Dilworth, South HillsFebruary 20, 2015
The students were enjoyable and equally challenging. Overall, the environment and fellow employees were enjoyable.

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Pittsburgh Public Schools. Our community is ready to answer.

Pittsburgh Public Schools Reviews by Location