Pittsburgh Public Schools

Pittsburgh Public Schools Employee Reviews

Teaching at the Pittsburgh Public Schools has been my bliss.
Teacher (Current Employee), Pittsburgh, PAMarch 15, 2015
Pros: a feeling of empowerment, great co-workers, great healthcare and fantastic salary
Cons: too many people at the top trying to run the show, not enough money or support for principals and their site based budgets
As a first grade teacher, a typical workday included instructing students in the basic skills for reading math, social studies and science. I learned that the most important way to teach students is to make sure that they are totally engaged at all times. I also learned that the children are the most important consideration. Any decisions made should only be considered in the context of what is best for the children, no matter what colleagues think. Overcoming what colleagues think is probably the most difficult aspect of the job because while ideologies may differ, colleagues are always an invaluable resource. My current co-workers are fun to work with as well as particularly bright and innovating. Do we butt heads sometimes? Yes and that's when we have met and conquered our most difficult challenges. The proof of that is in our collective results. We have been a star school for the past two years. Consequentially, we have been designated as a Distinguished Star School - one of only ten in the entire state. That can only happen with a collaborative staff, a great leader, and an ideal working environment. The most enjoyable part of the job is meeting the challenge of growing students academically and seeing positive results. These results are affirming and show me that I am on the right track and that all of the hard work has been worth it.
Great first job
Summer Dreamers Academy Camp Coordinator (Former Employee), Pittsburgh, PaMarch 12, 2015
Perfect experience for a first job. Nice working with children and education professionals. Got to see the ins and outs of the education system.
I enjoyed working at PPS. I was a student teacher there so many aspects of the work place such as salary, benefits, etc., did not pertain to me.
Student Teacher (Former Employee), Dilworth, South HillsFebruary 20, 2015
The students were enjoyable and equally challenging. Overall, the environment and fellow employees were enjoyable.
Secondary Math Teacher
Secondary Math Teacher Grades (Former Employee), Pittsburgh, PAOctober 30, 2014
Educated students in the fields of General Math, Algebra, and Geometry; Daily - Managed, Mentored, Supported, Guided, Advised, and Encouraged approximately 100 pre-teen and teenage students; Daily - Collected, Analyzed, and Evaluated data to Assign appropriate grades; Interacted frequently with public; Collaborated with other teachers to Designed and Developed interdisciplinary units; Served on various curriculum/textbook selection committees; Piloted several different math curriculums for the Pittsburgh School District
Awesome place to work
Assistant Teacher (Current Employee), Pittsburgh, PAAugust 10, 2014
Pros: easy access to whatever educational materials needed for student sucess.
Cons: administrative understanding at times
Very Productive workplace filled with caring and professional teachers who's constant strive, is the success of students in all aspects of life. We have a vas amount of materials to ensure that each student has access to whatever is needed to make their educational experience fun and productive.
Educator
Special Education Assistant (Current Employee), PPSJune 25, 2014
Intense work environment but very rewarding! Dedicated co-workers
Excellent Teachers
Substitute Teacher/Speech and Language Specialist (Former Employee), Pittsburgh, PAJune 23, 2014
Great school district, excellent staff, great kids. Teaching kids are a priority.
Good work enviroment
2nd Grade Summer Teacher (Former Employee), Pittsburgh, PAJune 10, 2014
As a summer school teacher, the work environment was great. The mentoring teachers helped us to become successful in all they we did. The students enjoyed learning and taking adventures.
Great people and just an overall great environment.
Substitute Light Cleaner (Former Employee), Pittsburgh, PAJanuary 4, 2014
Pros: great pay, benefits, vacation
Cons: late hours
I loved this company and the people I worked for. Everyone lent a helping hand at all times and I never felt left out. We all worked together while having fun doing it. The job security was great and the pay was above average. A lot of room for advancements as well.
Highly Effective School District
Social Studies, ELA, and ESL Teacher (Former Employee), Pittsburgh, PAOctober 7, 2013
This school district strives to ignite a passion for learning in environments that are safe, welcoming and that embrace students' individual differences and needs.
excellent and fullfilling work environment
Supply Clerk II (Former Employee), Pittsburgh, PAAugust 28, 2013
Pros: had a great career before retiring in 1999
Processed supply orders. worked hand and hand with the principal. Answered phones daily in main office. Assisted the Principal and kept a running account of the school budget.
Inner City School District
School Psychologist (Former Employee), Pittsburgh, PAAugust 15, 2013
Pros: great colleagues, support systems among psychologists
Cons: challenging population
I performed all the duties of a School Psychologist in the Public School District in Puittsburgh, PA
dont expect it to be a career
Budget Analyst (Current Employee), Pittsburgh, PAJune 6, 2013
Pros: good benefits
Cons: no advancement, no raises, terrible work environment
Badly mismanaged. No advancement potential. Typical political system.
Train wreck
Thankfully a former PPS math teacher (Former Employee), PittsburghMay 23, 2013
Pros: health benefits
Cons: school culture & admin
This district is horrible. On site admin understaffed while the central office admin is completely incompetent. The expectation is for teachers to allow any and all behaviors to occur in the classroom with no consequence for the students. This is because the admin is negatively affected by higher suspension rates. Students are savvy enough to know this and act accordingly.
As a teacher and parent, the only reason I have not purchased a house in the city is because of the schools. It's truly a disaster,and I suspect the district won't exist in the next 6-10years. Students will go to charter schools or neighboring districts with Pgh residents' tax money following the students.
Difficult but rewarding
Full Time Substitute Teacher (English) (Former Employee), Pittsburgh, PAMay 7, 2013
Poor work stability and no sense of security, curriculum is not as good as it could potentially be
Highly stressful
Classroom math teacher (Former Employee), ColfaxApril 17, 2013
Administration, union and academic coaches not supportive
Nepotism
Teachers overworked and underappreciated
I am assigned to a fantastic school with wonderful staff to work with
Chief Lunch Aid - Grandview Elementary (Current Employee), Beechwood Elementary, Pittsburgh, PAMarch 2, 2013
Pros: working with children and staff
Cons: the pay, no healthcare
A typical day for me would certainly depend on what day it is. As a
Cafeteria Manager I am responsible for a variety of tasks. Each day entails using the program software to order the correct quantity of lunches, fruits and vegetables for our lunch and Early Childhood program to meet the dietary needs of our students

I maintain paperwork, meal counts for the state which are recorded and reported daily, supply orders, dairy orders as well as receiving these orders daily.

My position also entails cooking and preparing meals, as well as taking temperatures of all foods prepared so as to maintain health department standards for safe food handling. I also have my Serv-Safe certification, which is required for food preparation.

My co-workers that I supervise daily are a good support system, We all have to work together each day to get the job done.

There really is no hard part of my job. I enjoy working with my staff and the children each day.
The PPS are working hard to raise achievement scores, close racial gaps and to become a school of choice.
ESL Itinerant Teacher (Current Employee), Pittsburgh, PAJanuary 19, 2013
Pros: great salary and benefits
Cons: extended days/year
Currently my day runs from 7 - 3. I teach six ESL/ELA classes, have daily instructional rounds, a weekly advisory class, and I participate in Courageous Conversations and Core Curriculum Standards PD. I have learned to accept non-closure and to focus on higher order thinking skills. My co-workers also have differentiated leadership roles in the building and are great collaborators. The most enjoyable part of the job is that we are all giving 110% of ourselves and the effort is being rewarded with greater academic excellence.
Very trying and stressful.
Student Data Systems Specialist/Chief Secretary (Former Employee), Pittsburgh, PADecember 30, 2012
Typical day at work was on edge. Learned how to take it all in with a grain of salt. Management and co-workers n/a. Hardest part of the job was not knowing if you would have a job or not and if so what school from year to year. Getting to know the children was the most enjoyable part of the job.
Love of Education
Allderdice High School Math Teacher (Current Employee), Pittsburgh, PAMay 15, 2012
I love to teach students the mathematical concepts in which they are to understand in order for them to graduate. Also, I like that I have great co-workers that like to learn how to use the technology that is available to them. It is fun to teach them how to use it.