Pittsburgh Public Schools Employee Reviews in United States

Good Place to Give to the Community
Substitute Teacher (Current Employee) –  Pittsburgh, PAMay 14, 2016
Board of Education is a good place to work. Substitute teacher position was a good place to work if you have a family. The hours are good and you get to have summers off with your children if you plan to have a family.
Schools
Teacher (Current Employee) –  Pittsburgh, PAMarch 31, 2016
Schools are not run by the administration, they are run by the students. It's dangerous and not worth the money. I would not recommend it at all.
Productive and friendly environment
Food Service Worker (Former Employee) –  Pittsburgh, PAFebruary 1, 2016
Professional management with productive and friendly environment. Training was very thorough with nice advancements and raises. Very professional and friendly co workers.
Pros
Free lunches
Cons
Short breaks and no healthcare
I was a day to day substitute teacher.
Substitute Teacher (Former Employee) –  Pittsburgh, PADecember 3, 2015
It was very difficult to work in a number of the schools on a day to day basis. Many children had serious behavioral issues which made it difficult to teach on a daily basis.
Pros
Excellent experience working with children.
Cons
Management was not always supportive.
Productive and Fun workplace
Long-Term Substitute Teacher (Former Employee) –  Pittsburgh, PAMarch 30, 2015
It is a great place to work at. I have learned how to write IEP's and many behavior management plans and how to go about classroom management.
Teaching at the Pittsburgh Public Schools has been my bliss.
Teacher (Current Employee) –  Pittsburgh, PAMarch 15, 2015
As a first grade teacher, a typical workday included instructing students in the basic skills for reading math, social studies and science. I learned that the most important way to teach students is to make sure that they are totally engaged at all times. I also learned that the children are the most important consideration. Any decisions made should only be considered in the context of what is best for the children, no matter what colleagues think. Overcoming what colleagues think is probably the most difficult aspect of the job because while ideologies may differ, colleagues are always an invaluable resource. My current co-workers are fun to work with as well as particularly bright and innovating. Do we butt heads sometimes? Yes and that's when we have met and conquered our most difficult challenges. The proof of that is in our collective results. We have been a star school for the past two years. Consequentially, we have been designated as a Distinguished Star School - one of only ten in the entire state. That can only happen with a collaborative staff, a great leader, and an ideal working environment. The most enjoyable part of the job is meeting the challenge of growing students academically and seeing positive results. These results are affirming and show me that I am on the right track and that all of the hard work has been worth it.
Pros
a feeling of empowerment, great co-workers, great healthcare and fantastic salary
Cons
too many people at the top trying to run the show, not enough money or support for principals and their site based budgets
Great first job
Summer Dreamers Academy Camp Coordinator (Former Employee) –  Pittsburgh, PaMarch 12, 2015
Perfect experience for a first job. Nice working with children and education professionals. Got to see the ins and outs of the education system.
I enjoyed working at PPS. I was a student teacher there so many aspects of the work place such as salary, benefits, etc., did not pertain to me.
Student Teacher (Former Employee) –  Dilworth, South HillsFebruary 20, 2015
The students were enjoyable and equally challenging. Overall, the environment and fellow employees were enjoyable.
Secondary Math Teacher
Secondary Math Teacher Grades (Former Employee) –  Pittsburgh, PAOctober 30, 2014
Educated students in the fields of General Math, Algebra, and Geometry; Daily - Managed, Mentored, Supported, Guided, Advised, and Encouraged approximately 100 pre-teen and teenage students; Daily - Collected, Analyzed, and Evaluated data to Assign appropriate grades; Interacted frequently with public; Collaborated with other teachers to Designed and Developed interdisciplinary units; Served on various curriculum/textbook selection committees; Piloted several different math curriculums for the Pittsburgh School District
Awesome place to work
Assistant Teacher (Current Employee) –  Pittsburgh, PAAugust 10, 2014
Very Productive workplace filled with caring and professional teachers who's constant strive, is the success of students in all aspects of life. We have a vas amount of materials to ensure that each student has access to whatever is needed to make their educational experience fun and productive.
Pros
easy access to whatever educational materials needed for student sucess.
Cons
administrative understanding at times

Want to know more about Pittsburgh Public Schools?

Ask a question
Educator
Special Education Assistant (Current Employee) –  PPSJune 25, 2014
Intense work environment but very rewarding! Dedicated co-workers
Excellent Teachers
Substitute Teacher/Speech and Language Specialist (Former Employee) –  Pittsburgh, PAJune 23, 2014
Great school district, excellent staff, great kids. Teaching kids are a priority.
Good work enviroment
2nd Grade Summer Teacher (Former Employee) –  Pittsburgh, PAJune 10, 2014
As a summer school teacher, the work environment was great. The mentoring teachers helped us to become successful in all they we did. The students enjoyed learning and taking adventures.
Great people and just an overall great environment.
Substitute Light Cleaner (Former Employee) –  Pittsburgh, PAJanuary 4, 2014
I loved this company and the people I worked for. Everyone lent a helping hand at all times and I never felt left out. We all worked together while having fun doing it. The job security was great and the pay was above average. A lot of room for advancements as well.
Pros
great pay, benefits, vacation
Cons
late hours
Highly Effective School District
Social Studies, ELA, and ESL Teacher (Former Employee) –  Pittsburgh, PAOctober 7, 2013
This school district strives to ignite a passion for learning in environments that are safe, welcoming and that embrace students' individual differences and needs.
excellent and fullfilling work environment
Supply Clerk II (Former Employee) –  Pittsburgh, PAAugust 28, 2013
Processed supply orders. worked hand and hand with the principal. Answered phones daily in main office. Assisted the Principal and kept a running account of the school budget.
Pros
had a great career before retiring in 1999
Inner City School District
School Psychologist (Former Employee) –  Pittsburgh, PAAugust 15, 2013
I performed all the duties of a School Psychologist in the Public School District in Puittsburgh, PA
Pros
great colleagues, support systems among psychologists
Cons
challenging population
dont expect it to be a career
Budget Analyst (Current Employee) –  Pittsburgh, PAJune 6, 2013
Badly mismanaged. No advancement potential. Typical political system.
Pros
good benefits
Cons
no advancement, no raises, terrible work environment
Train wreck
Thankfully a former PPS math teacher (Former Employee) –  PittsburghMay 23, 2013
This district is horrible. On site admin understaffed while the central office admin is completely incompetent. The expectation is for teachers to allow any and all behaviors to occur in the classroom with no consequence for the students. This is because the admin is negatively affected by higher suspension rates. Students are savvy enough to know this and act accordingly.
As a teacher and parent, the only reason I have not purchased a house in the city is because of the schools. It's truly a disaster,and I suspect the district won't exist in the next 6-10years. Students will go to charter schools or neighboring districts with Pgh residents' tax money following the students.
Pros
health benefits
Cons
school culture & admin
Difficult but rewarding
Full Time Substitute Teacher (English) (Former Employee) –  Pittsburgh, PAMay 7, 2013
Poor work stability and no sense of security, curriculum is not as good as it could potentially be

Pittsburgh Public Schools Reviews by Location