Pittsburgh Zoo & PPG Aquarium Employee Reviews

productive, educational, fulfilling
Education Intern (Former Employee) –  Pittsburgh, PAOctober 10, 2017
Working at the PPG Zoo in the education departments was one of my favorite intern experiences because it was so hands on with all of those animals in there. What made the experience better were the incredible zoo keepers and teachers in the department making everyday so fun and positive.
An excellent resume buildier
Group Sales and Rentals Coordinator (Current Employee) –  Pittsburgh, PAAugust 24, 2017
I would recommend the Pittsburgh Zoo & PPG Aquarium for someone who is looking for a stepping-stone on their resume. Unless you have a specialized degree you're not going to find a forever career at the zoo. I also would say that it's extremely "clique-y" and you have to know the right people in order to get ahead.
It's a fun work place
Prep Cook (Former Employee) –  7340 Butler Street Pittsburgh, PA 15206July 12, 2017
Their just basically unprofessional I really didn't like how the management went the enjoyable part was getting to see the animals as you work An cook in different facilities theirs really no hard part it's really easy going.
Pros
N/a
Cons
The health benefits is for full time
Cool place to work for the summer
SALES ASSOCIATE (Former Employee) –  Pittsburgh, PAApril 19, 2017
Operate cash register
Maintain safety policies for visitors
Team up with coworkers to ensure proper customer service
Maintain in-stock and presentable work areas and
productive work area
Cook (Former Employee) –  Pittsburgh, PAJanuary 12, 2017
it's a great working environment , u learn a little bit of everything when your going along the job. Everyone is friendly , polite , respectful. Also they teach u about taking care of the animals if you want to transfer of the other side.
Pros
good food
Cons
regular breaks
fun workplace with practice in customer service
Service Systems Association Staff (Former Employee) –  Pittsburgh, PAJanuary 10, 2017
My time at the Pittsburgh Zoo was a great and fun summer job that required a lot of hard work and great customer service. My time spent there taught me how to provide excellent service for customers
Pros
experience
Cons
short breaks and not great management
A very unique first job experience
Cashier (Former Employee) –  Pittsburgh, PAJanuary 8, 2017
The zoo had very friendly co workers, you were able to get a lunch that comes out of your paycheck. Some of the managers were nice but some were not so friendly.
Rewarding job with a fun loving atmosphere
Conservation Education Specialist (Current Employee) –  Pittsburgh, PAJanuary 3, 2017
Amazing place to work with amazing people and even more amazing animals! If you're hard working and dedicated you'll fit right in.
Wonderful place to work
Zoo Camp Aid (Former Employee) –  Pittsburgh, PADecember 13, 2016
Wonderful place to work, highly recommend for anyone needing a good summer job. The summers are hot but everything is air conditioned and you learn a lot about the animals and get to interact with guests.
Excellent job for people with very little experience close none
Admissions Representative (Former Employee) –  Pittsburgh, PAOctober 24, 2016
I loved the job . I just found better opportunities. The organization is great . It gives everyone a chance to enjoy working and gain customer care skills.
Amazing
Kids Kingdom (Former Employee) –  Pittsburgh, PAOctober 23, 2016
Such a great place to work. You learn so much being there. The associate's are very knowledgeable and the park is very clean. All animals are well cared for.
Interactive
Cashier (Former Employee) –  Pittsburgh, PASeptember 22, 2016
Me working at the Zoo was fun because I was interacting with my co-workers and my customers. Also it was fun when I was able to have conversation with customers.
Pros
Busy
Cons
Crowded
Great atmosphere here!
Intern (Former Employee) –  Pittsburgh, PAAugust 1, 2016
Great place to work. People are friendly, and has a real sense of community. My supervisor was friendly. I enjoyed learning new things on the job including chalk art, and how to make everyone have a good time. Working near the animals is always a plus.
Pittsburgh Zoo & PPG Aquarium
Marketing Assistant (Current Employee) –  Pittsburgh, PAApril 13, 2016
Great place to work! Management is awesome and work with you and your schedule. This is a true family environment. I learned a lot about leadership and responsibility.
Fun workplace
Kids Kingdom Attendant (Current Employee) –  Pittsburgh, PAMarch 12, 2016
A typical day varies each day. Responsibilities include monitoring animal collections, exhibits, and public pathways as assigned to ensure safety of the public and animals. Reporting any unusual animal behaviors to keepers, curators and lead attendants on duty. Interacting with the many visitors, sharing basic information about animal collection and the Zoo in general. Keep public areas/pathways clean raked as necessary. Monitor playground areas to ensure the safety of visitors. Contacts appropriate staff concerning lost children, first aid and other situations as necessary, and perform other duties as assigned and directed. I have learned so much about the variety of animals held within the Zoo, and some of what it would take in order to care for these animals. Management and co-workers are friendly and willing to help, answer questions that I may not understand, and just be there when needed. The hardest part of the job was learning all the animal information and security codes and the most enjoyable part of the job is being able to spend the day outside, along with providing visitors with information about the animals that they would not necessarily know.
Worst place to work
Service system associate in Food (Former Employee) –  Pittsburgh, PADecember 17, 2015
For a first job or someone in highschool it is cool as a starter job. However, the management is really bad. There is no communication whatsoever. If you need to call off or if there is an emergency it is difficult to get in contact with anyone. The managers barely work and hardly contributes when there are things that needs to be accomplished. Instead they sit around and socialize amongst each other and belittle the employees. The overall work environment is terrible not to mention everyone are more focused on their affairs with each other instead of actually working. Also if the weather is bad, instead of calling you to tell you not to come in, they rather wait for you to get there and say they don't need you today. I wouldn't recommend anyone no matter how desperate they are to work there.
Worst
food (Current Employee) –  Pittsburgh, PAJuly 30, 2015
Everythings a mess, HR is the worst, Retails a mess, Food is a joke. Affairs are going on in the main office, A lot of favoritism towards people, once again its a joke, don't waste your time. Did i mention its minimum wage?
Pros
no pros, you pay for everything
Cons
everything.
Good starter job
Guide visitors and guests to their events (Former Employee) –  Pittsburgh, PAJune 28, 2015
I collected money and tickets for the tram car. I also greeted guests and helped them on and off a shuttle for nighttime events.
Catering was great!
Birthday Party Catering Assistant (Former Employee) –  Pittsburgh, PAMay 14, 2015
A typical day at the Pittsburgh Zoo and PPG Aquarium consisted of me arriving at work and preparing the designated room for the catered event. I ensured that all decorations, food and beverages were displayed. Once the party arrived, or event began, I served the food and provided the guests with the entertainment they ordered. The zoo was an awesome place to work, however, not many events were scheduled, giving me little hours to work.
Pros
Loved catering events
Cons
Little hours
Don't even bother
Cashier (Former Employee) –  Pbgh paMay 12, 2015
What a waste of time. It's part time min wage. And if weather is badly go home and lose hours. Their hr lady doesn't have a clue what she's doing and the place was more like a circus than a zoo. I couldn't believe how unorganized they were for being a big zoo.
Anyways. I would never recommend this place and hope for all of us that we never have to deal with them again.
Pros
See the lions
Cons
Unclear directions. Bad scheduling.