Planet Fitness Employee Reviews

Front Desk Agent
Front Desk Receptionist (Former Employee) –  Bowie, MDDecember 30, 2016
Greet members, prospective members and guests, providing exceptional customer service.
Handle all front desk related activities including:
Answer phones in a friendly manner and assist callers with a variety of questions.
Check members into the system.
New member sign-up.
Take prospective members on tours.
Facilitate needed updates to member’s accounts.
Respond to member questions and concerns in a timely and professional manner and elevate to Assistant Manager or Manager as needed.
Assist in maintaining the neatness and cleanliness of the club.
productive and very energetic work place
Front Desk Receptionist (Current Employee) –  Tampa, FLDecember 28, 2016
When i come into my shift at 6am, i am the only one there so i have to multitask from answering phone calls to stocking the gym for the day crew. Throughout the day i have to make sure all equipment is in its right place/ make sure the gym is running smoothly. I believe the hardest part of my day is dealing with rude costumers over the phone. And the best part of my day would have to be helping/ giving advice to those who ask for my help. I absolutely love helping people in general especially the older folks.
Pros
outstanding team work
Cons
income isnt so great
fun work place, very clean
Front Desk Clerk (Former Employee) –  Brooklyn, NYJanuary 18, 2017
manager in and out of work for smoking breaks. Lifting machines to clean underneath, sweeping, mopping, taking the trash out assisting customers, making sales on beverages. I learned that being 5 minutes late could get you fired. Management team is kind of lazy.Co-workers gave there all into work and ensured that all cleaning tasks were completely finished correctly. The hardest part of the job was trying to call out after covering 3 people. The most enjoyable part of the job was working out and helping customers sign up and taking them on tours.
Pros
get to workout for free
Cons
very short breaks, people calling out too much
Great Job For Students
Front Desk Associate (Current Employee) –  Staten Island, NYDecember 22, 2016
I personally enjoy working here, management really gets to know you and is very understanding and works with you, good atmosphere, and the work-life balance is great. Perfect for fitting around school or another job. Learned alot about leadership and being a team player, and I enjoy mainly my coworkers. I was fortunate to have a good group, but cant guarantee the same for someone else.
Pros
Good pay for quality of work, enjoyable, comfortable
Cons
Nothing really, you may get bored at times
The Job
Customer Service Representative (Current Employee) –  Peekskill, NYDecember 24, 2016
Most enjoyable part of the job are the members. 99.9% of members are upbeat and glad to be in the facility.
Typical day at work is mostly cleaning.
I learned the script for the tour of potential members
My co-workers are pleasant to work with
The hardest part of the job is the extensive cleaning
Management leaves a lot to be desired. I have worked under 5 different managers in 10 months.
Pros
Working as a team with my co-workers
Cons
Poor management and little or no formal training
Pretty good overall
Front Desk Receptionist/Customer Service/cashier (Current Employee) –  Coral Springs, FLDecember 28, 2016
The job was overall pretty good I got paid nine dollars get along really well with the coworkers and members but you do have to ask if you want a pay raise they don't award you on how good you're doing because you're doing a lot better than the other coworkers you won't get in advancement unless you bother them about it
Pros
Awesome co. Workers, laid back atmosphere, get along w members
Cons
You MUST ask for advancement, they don't reward on how good you are doing.
Good place if interested in entry level job
Overnight Front Desk Associate (Current Employee) –  Phoenix, AZJanuary 1, 2017
The franchise I work for does not require a national cert for the fitness instructors. Some of the instructors are a youtube video ahead of the members. The managers are hired internally. This may be good if the manager has previous work experience. This is the first job for many staff. This is not good if the manager's only work experience is PF. Turnover is high because much of the staff are students. No experience is required for any position.
Pros
Free gym membership
Cons
No experience required for any position (including fitness instructors).
Why doesn't this company do something about management.
Front Desk Associate (Current Employee) –  Atlanta, GAJanuary 1, 2017
My son has worked here for over three years. He has always talked about management not being on the same page but he does like his job. I didn't realize management was so bad till I read all the reviews. Does corporate not see the bad management reviews? Why would such a great company not want to be the best of its field. It's time to make a change for the betterment of your other employees who by the way make the company great. Managers please take care of your team and they will love there jobs and when people love their jobs everyone is happy and things run much smoother.
Pros
Free membership and great customers
Cons
Management doesn't care about employees
Team Captain (Former Employee) –  Airmont, NYJanuary 8, 2017
I constantly was on my feet working and greeting every member that walked in. I gave tours of the gym. Anytime there was a time to clean the machines or bathrooms I would be there. The management and my co workers were extremely friendly. In the beginning were very helpful to teach me the computer system that I caught onto quickly. The hardest part of this job was dealing with customers that owed money because they never updated their credit card. The most enjoyable it was the members that belong to the gym and staff made me excited for the next day.
Great environment and employees, excessive workload on lower level employees though
Member Services (Current Employee) –  Mission, KSJanuary 8, 2017
If you love cleaning then this is perfect because everyday I do laundry, clean tanning beds constantly, clean sweat off machines, detail clean and dust machines and equipment, clean the facility, do bathroom checks and clean them every 30 minutes, and run around the gym changing bottles every 20 minutes. Not including your closing clean up duties and extra 1 - 2 hours of assigned cleaning each shift. Little to no employee benefits either.
OK Place to work
Team Captain/Shift Leader (Former Employee) –  Bronx, NYDecember 12, 2016
Since at my location the assistant manager did not do his daily tasks it made it very difficult for me and my co worker to get our morning tasks done. Typically we would clean all the cardio machines from 9am-11am and from 11am-1pm we would clean all strength machines. After all that was done we would maintain the cleanliness of the gyms bathrooms and locker rooms, and I would get the cash draws ready for the bank drop and balance all tills before end of shifts.
An OK job to start getting into the fitness industry.
Front Desk Associate (Current Employee) –  Township of Brick, NJDecember 6, 2016
Most of your time as a front desk associate is spent standing in front and scanning in members as well as cleaning machines. There's a lot of down time during the slower hours and there's not much extra to be done, so you spend a lot of time just on your feet and standing as you wait for members to come in. Some entry level things about the fitness industry can be learned; general customer/member interaction experience, basic exercise science/nutrition. Co-workers were nice at this specific location and have enjoyed working with them.
Great place to learn team work and face to face customer service.
Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Hopkinsville, KYDecember 8, 2016
During my time with Planet Fitness, Hopkinsville, KY, I was able to easily reintegrate into a civilian work environment that was fun and challenging at the same time. The day to day tasks were different in many ways from my usual tasks at previous jobs but brought new obstacles that I was excited to face and overcome. My co-workers were friendly and very insightful to many things I had not experienced in previous work places. The hardest part was transitioning to a new work place but the management and staff made it as painless as possible. The most enjoyable part of this job was the interaction with the members.
Pros
Free gym membership
Cons
healthcare and retirement
Great place to learn to multitask.
Team Member/Shift Leader (Former Employee) –  Kansas City, MOJanuary 20, 2017
I thoroughly enjoyed my time at Planet Fitness. The management team made sure we had the tools necessary to perform our jobs. Always willing to take the time to answer questions or give a little extra training if needed for us to be competent at our jobs. Very supportive of employees who wished to advance in the company. An overall extremely positive experience.
Pros
Great management, positive enviroment
Awful place to work
Front desk/Shift leader (Former Employee) –  Groves, TXDecember 28, 2016
They promote people without proper training or skills necessary to perform any sort of management duties. Almost all of management's decisions are based on emotions. I, as well as anyone else I have ever talked to who worked for the company, have nothing but bad things to say about it. I was made to work long hours (some of which were off the clock because we weren't allowed any overtime) with only a 20 minute lunch break.
Great Entry Level Position or Part Time Job
FRONT DESK ASSOCIATE AND FITNESS INSTRUCTOR (Current Employee) –  Jonesboro, ARDecember 29, 2016
A typical day at work consists of checking in and greeting customers, cleaning designated zones, and restocking drinks. The most enjoyable part of the job is motivating members to work hard towards their goal. Management does a great job with coordinating goals and following guidelines. In this job you acquire patients and knowledge of ABC financial systems.
Unprofessional
Overnight Cleaner (Former Employee) –  Norton, MANovember 29, 2016
Well i started within day from being hired i guess the person who i took over for quit that day and the manger went on leave the following day there only gave me a few day to figure out the cash register and ,ppl who want a memberships the massage chairs etc and the person they left me with got mad and made noises if i ask for help and left me to learn the machine by myself i told the manager and she still left me with him anyway and wanted me to come in on my sleeping time to figure out the cash register and wake up later to still go to work smh... not very organized at all THE OWNER WAS AWESOME THO BUT MANGER WAS VERY UNPROFESSIONAL
Pros
costumers
Cons
Cons Managment was none existant and consitantly left new workers to figure it out.
Simple job, great coworkers and memebrs, LOTS of cleaning!
Front Desk Representative/Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Penn Hills, PANovember 19, 2016
Overall, a great job with great co workers and a fun environment of meeting new people and gym regulars.

The best part is building lasting friendships not only with coworkers, but with club members also.

The biggest complaint would be how un-organized the management is.

TONS of cleaning... You are basically a janitor who gets to do some customer service and computer work at times. The cleaning wouldn't be so bad if there wasn't such a strict dress code that makes cleaning in the dress code nearly impossible and very uncomfortable.
Pros
Free gym membership
Cons
Lots of cleaning, Dress code
Fun Environment with Flexibility for Work/Life balance
Member Services Representative (Former Employee) –  Township of Brick, NJNovember 20, 2016
Working as a member service representative I was able to greet and meet and get to know the members personally. Especially the regular members. It was a fun environment to work in and the co-workers are great team mates. I learned more about bookkeeping and billing since I also had to manage the membership payments.
Pros
Enjoyable work environment
Cons
Standing on your feet all day
Productive and engertic work enviroment
Assistant Manager (Current Employee) –  Dallas, TXNovember 15, 2016
Work should be a place where you go to learn and experience more. Having a positive attitude to motivate others so they can make it through the day. A work day for me is where I come inside work get all my work done and help other to get there work done as well. A goal is set each day you work, if not to complete something it's to do a little extra if you need to.
Pros
rewards for good work
Cons
short break, no health benefits, favoritism

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Planet Fitness. Our community is ready to answer.

2.8