Planet Fitness Employee Reviews

Found 1,181 reviews matching the search
Not so fun
handling billing, customer service (Former Employee) –  Greenville, NCJanuary 25, 2017
Long hours, ridiculous requirements, management only cares about their bonus. The pay was decent, but turn over was relatively high.
Great work environment with lots of personal interaction with members
MEMBER SERVICES REPRESENTATIVE (Current Employee) –  Florence, SCJanuary 7, 2017
As a member services representative I was responsible for maintaining the cleanliness of the club and getting membership sign-ups. There is a lot of light cleaning involved but nothing too exhaustive. The members are nice and the people I work with make every day a great day. The hardest part of the job is making sure you are doing a good tour that meets corporate standards. The most enjoyable part of the job was signing up enthusiastic members for the first time and watching people make the first steps to having a healthier life. The pay is rather low and while advancement is possible it is based on need and not work ethic.
Pros
Paid breaks, laid-back atmosphere, personally rewarding
Cons
low pay, little room for advancement, lots of cleaning
Company could use some Improvement
Front Desk Clerk (Former Employee) –  Salt Lake City, UTFebruary 19, 2017
I worked as a front desk clerk at Planet Fitness for a year. My manager was great to work with, but after seeing what the rest of the company was like, I learned that he was the exception.

The biggest problem with Planet Fitness, I think, is the lack of understanding and communication between corporate and their employees. The membership contracts are unnecessarily complicated and difficult to terminate, which means that customers are constantly unhappy because of unforeseen charges or contracts they didn't know about. Because members are just a number on a sheet to the upper management, they don't understand how member relations and company policy can be improved.
Pros
Free gym membership, not physically demanding
Cons
turnover, unmotivated employees
A Fun, Relaxed Place to Work
Front Desk Associate (Current Employee) –  Shreveport, LASeptember 8, 2016
Planet Fitness w 70th and Mansfield has a very energetic atmosphere. A typical shift is eight hours, and involves greeting customers then checking their account to confirm access to gym equipment. During the weekend it is much more relaxed, however employees are often left without a manager, thus promoting time management, responsibility, and liability for the employee on duty. Daily duties include folding shirts, stocking coolers, equipment maintenance, system operation, and customer service.
This job is very rewarding in that I get to see my customers grow and change their lives through fitness.
Pros
30 minute breaks, free memebership, long hours
Cons
poor management, conflicting policies
A nice change of pace.
Member Services (Current Employee) –  Cumberland, MDMarch 9, 2017
Initially, I was very relieved by a seemingly relaxed, calm and friendly atmosphere coupled with several new faces and new things to learn about the world of fitness. There's a decent learning curve to get use to when first hired; however patience and effort makes all the difference. The staff completely changed in the time I've been employeed, and for the better. Amongst the kinks that have been progressively ironed out since my start date the only real complaints I have are the lack of opporunity to move up. There's only two postions per Planet Fitness, and obtaining one is rather difficult when you're on night shift. Other than that, it's a fun place, the employees seem to generally care about one another, and the management does their job to a t, but at the same time does show compassion towards it's employees treating us more like a family, rather than a number.
Pros
Free membership, Meeting new people.
Cons
Not enough hours if you work day light, little to no room to advance. Picking up other's slack.
Condescending and unprofessional
Customer Service Representative (Former Employee) –  Holland, MIMarch 24, 2016
Ive worked here for 2 months and working third shift in a factory was better. The place is poorly managed everything is always broken and needs cleaned. The staff that is not management is in charge of all the cleaning and everything at the front desk...at the same time. Way understaffed and managers like to sit in the back on their phones and then complain if you look at your phone. They talk down to you and treat you like your not worth anything to them just because you make minimum wage which also is way low. McDonald's pays more than this place. The only good thing I've found about this gym is interacting with some of the members is nice. Would NOT reccomend working here to anyone.
Pros
free membership
Cons
no breaks, poor pay, no vacation, no benefits, poorly managed, condescending
Enjoyable work environment with a very positive theme of health and fitness.
Member Service Representative (Former Employee) –  Medford, MAFebruary 24, 2017
A shift at Planet Fitness is normally 4-8 hours long. You learn to deal with a large amount of people at once with kindness and politeness. Due to the theme of no judgement the environment is very positive. The management is very fair when it comes to schedules and policies. The hardest part of the job would be having to clean simply because it is the only part of the job that feels like a job. The most enjoyable part is seeing the subtle transformations in personality and physical appearance in some of the members and the relationships you make with the members.
Pros
Free gym membership
Cons
N/A
Unorganized but easy Job
Assitant Manager (Former Employee) –  Columbus, GAFebruary 25, 2017
As management it was an okay job. They would not allow us to hold the employees accountable and put stress on the rest of the staff. The training is awful they just kind of throw you in and don't provide much feed back as management. Not a career job but a job non the less. I was an Assistant manager for them and would not recommend it.
Pros
Full time
Cons
Split days off little time for family.
Nice But, but not recommended
Day Cleaner (Former Employee) –  Mantua, NJFebruary 7, 2017
The typical day of work is, don't mess up because the new Manager at the Location I worked at doesn't like when you mess up a little bit. All he cares about is the money and looking at chics all day long. The staff is nice. You meet some regulars here and there. Assuming from what I know of this manager I met, I'm thinking they all are the same.

As for job security. Its very very very very poor. There is at most 1 night shift worker and when they go to use the restroom, people can easily walk in do what they need to do and wallah.
Cons
Manager is rude, 15 minute breaks every 6 hours (if lucky)
Good Job providing great learning opportunities
Overnight Supervisor (Current Employee) –  Hillsborough, NCMarch 1, 2017
I have been working at this current location for almost a year now and I have thoroughly enjoyed it. A typical night consist of paperwork, front desk maintenance, vacuuming designated areas, mopping, restocking the coolers, setting out fliers, organizing the lobby for upcoming special events, and always creating raving fans. A recent change in general management has enabled me to learn a lot more about the position, and challenged me to go above and beyond my job duties/responsibilities. Thus far, this has been a great company to work for, with not only great employees, but great members as well.
Nothing but bad experiences
General Manager (Former Employee) –  Corsicana, TXMarch 23, 2017
Started as overnight cleaner, and within 2 months was promotes to General Manager. Great, right? No... They had me move 2 hours away to open a new gym. Once I did so, and everything was running smoothly... one 12 month lease, and new carnote later, fired! Zero warning, zero cause... prior I had been pressured into making certain employees quit by cutting them to 4 hours a week. I worked 36 hours straight to pass an inspection with a 99% (highest in our region) the week before getring fired. "Im so proud, im going to cry in my car" -said the woman who would fire me in a week.
Pros
Free membership
Cons
Everything else
Why doesn't this company do something about management.
Front Desk Associate (Current Employee) –  Atlanta, GAJanuary 1, 2017
My son has worked here for over three years. He has always talked about management not being on the same page but he does like his job. I didn't realize management was so bad till I read all the reviews. Does corporate not see the bad management reviews? Why would such a great company not want to be the best of its field. It's time to make a change for the betterment of your other employees who by the way make the company great. Managers please take care of your team and they will love there jobs and when people love their jobs everyone is happy and things run much smoother.
Pros
Free membership and great customers
Cons
Management doesn't care about employees
Nice Job
Assistant Manager (Current Employee) –  Irondequoit, NYJuly 13, 2016
There aren't many benefits to working here. Chance of advancement is very slim. Don't provide incentive to employees to work hard and want to move up.
Busy work environment
Associate (Current Employee) –  Roseville, MN 55113April 8, 2016
In a given day whoever is working is required to clean half of the gym and keep up with the front desk services. Co-workers are often lazy and don't contribute to the cleaning list and just stay behind the desk so that when I come in during the busier shift I'm slammed with a list of things to get done. If I'm doing the work of three shifts in my one shift then I feel we should be compensated more. Simple as a pay raise or employee of the month certificates. But they don't have any opportunities for that.
Pros
Co-workers are students mostly
Cons
Co-workers aren't held responsible for cleaning
Great place to learn team work and face to face customer service.
Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Hopkinsville, KYDecember 8, 2016
During my time with Planet Fitness, Hopkinsville, KY, I was able to easily reintegrate into a civilian work environment that was fun and challenging at the same time. The day to day tasks were different in many ways from my usual tasks at previous jobs but brought new obstacles that I was excited to face and overcome. My co-workers were friendly and very insightful to many things I had not experienced in previous work places. The hardest part was transitioning to a new work place but the management and staff made it as painless as possible. The most enjoyable part of this job was the interaction with the members.
Pros
Free gym membership
Cons
healthcare and retirement
Boring place to work, low pay, poor management
Front Desk Receptionist/Customer Service (Former Employee) –  Hampton Bays, NYJanuary 4, 2017
Much of your day consists of standing around, manager only there mon-thurs so any problems that happen fri-sun often get out of hand and manager did not do a good job of helping diffuse situations and satisfying customers. Overall the best part about the job is that you get to not care most of the time because there is basically nothing you can do in a lot of situations. Also the motivation to help customers beyond one simple answer is very low since you only make 9.50 an hour with basically no chance of increased pay.
Pros
Easy, Free use of gym
Cons
Bad management, poor communication, low pay, boring job
pay
Front Desk Associate (Former Employee) –  Carle Place, NYJuly 9, 2016
i did everything at the club, i kept it running and when the constant change of management i trained new hires. I was not promoted.
Pros
steady hours
Cons
not keen on giving raises
One of the most fun jobs I have worked.
Gym Staff/ Shift Lead (Current Employee) –  San Angelo, TXJune 1, 2016
Planet fitness is a place filled with opportunity. This place carries the right amount of professionalism along with having a fun environment to work in along with the kind gym members. It's nothing better than being part of a working atmosphere that treats you like family, judgement free and willing to help.
Pros
Free gym membership, helpful staff and full time benefits
Cons
Corporate cuts and short staffed.
Was a learning experience
Assistant Manager/ Overnight Staff (Former Employee) –  Victor, NYMay 5, 2016
This corporation's treatment of employees is unbelievably horrible. There are no benefits, little advancement, they pay you barely anything, don't give you raises, and they treat employees like garbage. I was stabbed by drug needles changing the garbage cans at work and had to go on HIV medicines, get Hepatitis shots, and have blood drawn for three months. Planet Fitness did nothing about it! They also refused to submit my claims to the insurance company for two and a half months after the day I was stabbed trying to get out of being held responsible for it! Not only that but they lied to me about having Paid Time Off and never gave me the week off I was supposed to get! They also never replaced any equipment, fixed the plumbing issues, or fixed the front doors so that they would lock properly. Before I would opened alone on Sundays at midnight people would come and park in the parking lot and then drive away. Not having the security of knowing the doors were locked properly made me very uncomfortable but the managers didn't care when I discussed it with them. I've never worked for such a horrible company and I will tell everyone I know how they treat their members and employees.
Wouldn't recommend even for a first job
Font Desk (Former Employee) –  Elmwood Park, ILMarch 7, 2016
This is by far the worst company I have ever worked for. You won't find any employee who worked for more than 5 months at this place. Managers are on power trips and any chance to get raises, promotions or any other recognition is based on favoritism. The place is also shady in hiring girls and don't give them the option to do overnight were it's a dollar more towards their salary. Their reason? They deem it unsafe for girls to stay overnight, it's a bit ridiculous and honestly really sexist. If they put dollars towards new equipment for both staff and gym members then maybe I would have given at least 3 stars. Do not work for this company unless you are desperate and a good butt kisser.
Pros
Easy job, Seriously all you do is front desk work and clean, Also you get a free gym membership to this lame club
Cons
expect more out of you for less money, regional manager denies raises or any other suggestion staff brings, also denied holiday pay and health care for full time position employee

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Planet Fitness. Our community is ready to answer.

2.8