Planet Fitness Employee Reviews

horrible
Visionary Support Specialist (Former Employee) –  Portsmouth, NHJanuary 3, 2018
This place is notorious for using up it's employees, treating lower tier employees like they do not matter. Every single time I had an encounter with a superior it was always demeaning.
My experience!!
Front Desk Staff Member (Current Employee) –  Miami, FLJanuary 3, 2018
Working at Planet fitness was a great experience at first but it shifted after the numerous amount of management changes and staff members that were in and out every couple of weeks, The hours suck, the pay sucks, its only so much room to go in the company. Ive experienced a lot of favoritism and that lead me to not enjoying my job anymore.
Pros
Meet new people, create a bond with members and learn a lot
Cons
Short breaks, no benefits other than can work out at your location can't go other places, management sucks and sometimes are unfair, a lot of favoritism, and do a lot of cleaning.
Members are polite and respectful.
Front Desk Clerk (Current Employee) –  Westmont, NJJanuary 2, 2018
Members make atmosphere fun but pay is low at $8.50 an hour. Assistant manager is trying to sabotage my job and get me in trouble. I have to look over her shoulder to make sure she isn't watching over me.
It was an interesting experience.
Member Service Representative (Former Employee) –  Fairbanks, AKJanuary 2, 2018
The job at planet fitness started off great but then slowly started to weigh down on me. the job is very slow paced because you're constantly standing for basically your whole shift doing nothing but scanning people in and occasionally signing people up. Very slow paced job.
fast paced
Customer Service Representative (Former Employee) –  Canton, OHJanuary 2, 2018
My shift was evenings for 5 hours. It was fast paced for me. The busiest times for a gym is the evening. So my time went fast but i got really good at multitasking and getting everything i needed done.
Pros
free gym membership
Cons
cleaning all the machines contionusly
Fun with a family feel
Third Shift Front Desk Associate (Current Employee) –  Rock Hill, SCJanuary 2, 2018
This job is fun even when it is stressful and busy. It is a big family here, including our members! Granted there is a lot of cleaning, but there is also down time. During the day is when the most new members will come in. Night shift is all about keeping it clean and ready for the day.
Pros
Pizza and bagels!, Group outings
Cons
30 min break, always on feet
Motivating Environment
Assistant General Manager (Former Employee) –  Woodbridge, VAJanuary 2, 2018
Planet Fitness is a great place to work. The management was by far the best management I've seen thus far. Now of course things very by the location. So speaking for my old employer, a typical day would be long but fun and productive. I've learned a lot about the company and what it stands for. Working for PF also helped me to learn how to lead a team. Being that it was my First official management position, my staff/managers was very patent with me. I was molded Into being the best version of myself by the managers. The atmosphere was always awesome. Of course there were some tough days or maybe even some difficult members at time but the atmosphere was always good. The hardest part about the job would have to be enforcing the policies. No one likes being told what to do but unfortunately that is what your job is to do... enforce policies, create a safe worry free environment, and make everyone feel like they belong (simply because everyone does). Once you get the hang of finding the proper wording with dealing with policies, you will not have any problems at all. One of my most enjoyable things about the job was the connection that i had with the members. The ones who come in and smile when they see you. The ones who want your help specifically because they love your customer service. The ones who look to you for the extra motivation when they think they should quit. The ones who brings their friends in to you to sign up with you. The ones who stop you as your doing a walk around just to talk and catch up... yeah those members.
Ehh
Fitness Trainer (Current Employee) –  Perry Hall, MDJanuary 1, 2018
Perry Hall location, relatively new and relatively slow. As a trainer there it is hard to advance to any other job. you can ask anyone in the company, the trainers are treated poorly and paid terrible. members at perryhall are needy and entitled.
It was an ok place to work
Member Service Representative (Former Employee) –  Hagerstown, MDJanuary 1, 2018
You don’t do much during the day. Pretty slow business. But not a lot of hours and not very good pay. About min wage. Good job for a younger kid with no responsibility or bills
Pros
Slow days
Cons
Not a lot of hours or pay
poor place
Member Services Representative (Former Employee) –  Lawrence, KSDecember 31, 2017
unless youre managers or one of their favorites, you wont get nearly enough hours to make more that $400/month. my managers were lazy and terrible as one always talked about getting so drunk, she blacks out and the other sometimes wouldn't show up due to medical emergency of her having seizures

Want to know more about Planet Fitness?

Ask a question
Management isn't great!
Member Service Representative (Former Employee) –  Dearborn, MIDecember 31, 2017
Overall, I loved the members I bonded with. I believe the company expects more from you than they are willing to pay. I believe minimum wage is too low for the work being asked. The management style was really odd and basically ran by children and it appeared policy was only followed when the GM was around.
Don't Recommend
3rd shift sales/custodian (Former Employee) –  Burlington, WIDecember 31, 2017
Was Hired as Full-time initially only to find out when filling out the tax paperwork that my hours would only be part-time roughly 18 hr per week. So on top of getting an hourly wage of only $8.50 starting with no shift premium they expect you to work with no breaks on 3rd shift and basically shell out over $100 dollars of your own money just to start between their $35 fee that is extracted from your first paycheck, to the $50 mandatory First aid course and Khakis. Turnover for this place must be sickening. The only positive I was even able to take away from this place was the friendly General Manager
Pros
membership
Cons
pay
Fun work environment
Front Desk Associate (Current Employee) –  Oviedo, FLDecember 30, 2017
Not pressured, fun atmosphere. They offer a lot of team buildings, and events for employees. They do quarterly reviews that give you a chance at receiving a raise.
If you like cleaning you’ll love this job.
Membership Representative (Former Employee) –  Lexington, KYDecember 29, 2017
Inconsistent management and loosely followed rules and regulations by people with more power. Micro managing and a very unrealistic expectation of how things should look and be ran. Nothing is ever good enough.
Pros
Paid lunches, decent pay and easy job
Cons
Standing all day, long periods of nothing to do
Worst place I’ve ever worked
Front Desk Associate (Current Employee) –  Hazel Dell, WADecember 29, 2017
New manager is the worst she fires people for no reason, never been a manager so she has no clue what she’s doing. You may work your butt off and be the top employee but you’ll still get fired for no reason, no appreciation, no respect, you may work full time but you won’t get benefits, you get treated like dirt for minimum wage, you’re supposed to get a raise after 90 days, you won’t, owner will come in and yell at you because you’re a person and she hates everyone. Honestly this is the worst location you could ever work for just because of management go somewhere else
Pros
Cons
Manager
typical day at work
Supervisor (Former Employee) –  Bronx, NYDecember 28, 2017
A typical day for me at work, I was able to sign people up for memberships. I was also encourage many of our members to continue with their workouts to live a better lifestyle.
Pros
worked with my school scheduled
Cons
no benefits
Fun and energetic place to work
Front Desk Receptionist (Former Employee) –  Coral Springs, FLDecember 27, 2017
Planet fitness is a great place to work. There is a lot of advantage to grow. You also have a great opportunity to work on your physical appearance. Fun and energetic environment.
Pros
free workout
Cons
a lot of standing
productive environment
Crew Member (Former Employee) –  Columbus, OHDecember 27, 2017
mostly was an easy job to catch on to. oftentimes we would have to keep the gym clean and efficient. washing towels vacuum/mop floors . services gym members
Pros
free gym
Cons
short breaks
Relaxed Job
Desk Clerk, Gym Maintenance (Current Employee) –  Charlotte, NCDecember 27, 2017
Planet Fitness is a relaxed job with easy to follow guidelines. The managers are easy to work with. There are chances to work your way up in the company which depends on where you work and the managers discretion.
Pros
Pay
Cons
Environment
Easy work environment, terrible management.
Customer Service Representative (Current Employee) –  Independence, MODecember 27, 2017
The job in itself is fairly simple and does not require too much effort. Tasks include lots of cleaning daily, assigned rotations for duties such as front desk, walk arounds, etc.
Pay is biweekly but pretty low. Mine is only at $9.50 after close to two years of employment. Pay raises are hard to come by and the management tends to “forget” to perform reviews that are needed for a pay raise.
Advancement is slow as well. Employees are required to follow policies strictly with the promise of a promotion to assistant manager but few get selected because of limited positions in that field.
Some of my coworkers are great. But there’s a few who are lazy, refuse to do their jobs, rude to customers, and overall just terrible employees. Accountability is overlooked. Management refuses to do anything about employees stating “they need a good reason to terminate them”. As if the reasons stated above aren’t enough.
Management is poor. Lack of communication down the line leads to customers getting frustrated with employees. Inconsistency is abundant. Favoritism is a daily thing causing drama and cattiness. Corporate sucks, they literally don’t care what happens at each location as long as they can closely watch the cameras for cell phone usage and have their pockets padded.
Equipment can go weeks without getting fixed because of this. We’ve had certain machines broken for months at a time because corporate is too cheap to hire more than one mechanic for the close to 30 locations in our franchise.
Only plus side to this job is some of the customers are great, a few of the employees
  more... as well. Breaks are 30 minutes but that’s plenty of time for this easy of a job. Medical insurance is offered but it’s pretty expensive. Free gym membership as well as the ability to bring a guest for free.  less
Pros
Free gym membership, friendly customers.
Cons
Pretty much everything else.