Planet Fitness Employee Reviews

Locally owned down to earth gym.
Head Personal Trainer (Former Employee) –  Gainesville,FlSeptember 20, 2012
Typical training days start at 6-7am which group training is the vast majority of the day. Small consult sessions with client on how to set up and exercise plan.
The hardest part of this type of trainer job is the wide range of group ages and abilities. Some people wanted to be pushed very hard some people wanted to only talk while leisurely exercising.
Management was the only downside to this company, managers would let on the job relationships interfere with the work environment and rules. One employee was granted more breaks than the other majority of staff due to a relationship between the manager and employee.The most enjoyable part of this job was the people who felt good after an exercise routine. Helping the people achieve that goal was the most awesome feeling anyone could ever have.
Pros
flexible hours, nice members.
Cons
no dental, heathcare, vision, 401k
Working at Planet Fitness is a great experience and I am able to put my signature on my workouts as i develop relationships with clients.
Fitness Trainer (Current Employee) –  Greenville, SCAugust 17, 2015
A day at the Planet consists of taking in information of clients and developing a workout plan for a variety of different needs. I have learned to work with groups with individuals with a wide range of needs from anywhere from the elderly, disabled , and former athletes. My co-workers are mostly easy to work with and those that are not have molded me into a highly versatile trainer. The hardest part of the job is maintaining my highly energetic and magnetic personality every day whether i feel like it or not. The pay off is not the money but the lives that i have helped to change dramatically and i can have several stories emailed immediatlely upon request.
Pros
Place to work out. Laid back environment but getting the job done a must.
Cons
Lower pay and not enough hours.
A fun place to work!
Front Desk Clerk (Current Employee) –  Charlotte, NCJuly 11, 2013
A typical day at work would be checking in members, signing people up as well as canceling others, cleaning the gym, and talking to a lot of different people! I have learned from this job to be more comfortable in my own skin. I have learned the values of hard work as I clean most of my eight hour shifts and have learned the values of manual labor. I love my manager, he is fantastic and he is such a great leader as well as my co-workers are. It is always such a fun time while I am at work, and I do appreciate it. The hardest part of my job is when you are at the front desk by yourself and I am stuck with everything. I have had to sign three people up, cancel one member, answer phone calls, set people up in the tanning beds, and check members in all at the same time. The most enjoyable part of my job is the people! I love being around so many different people. It makes my shifts go by more quickly.
Relaxed environment, Poor management
Night Cleaner (Former Employee) –  South Burlington, VTDecember 2, 2013
Relaxed environment to work in. Night cleaner position allows you to make your own hours (when you arrive/ leave), free gym membership.

Management is quite poor, however. In my 4 months working there 10 people were hired/fired for the night desk position alone. More than once people were fired after their first day. Very few workers were offered reasons for their terminations. Management is unprofessional and disorganized; even managers/ assistant managers are replaced at an alarming rate.

Overall, relaxed work environment, decent pay for a cleaning position, no job security and shockingly inconsistent management. As an addition to another job for a little extra cash, you could do worse. As a full time position, avoid it.
Pros
relaxed work environment, set own hours (night cleaner position), free gym membership
Cons
awful management, no job security
Meeting new people and finding out their fitness goals
Trainer (Current Employee) –  Salt Lake City, UTOctober 12, 2014
Planet Fitness was a great place for people who are beginning to get into fitness. I loved the fact that there was no judgment in the gym. One of the biggest problems I have in gyms is the intimidation. Working with clients that are self conscience about their bodies, Planet Fitness is a great place to be.

One of the things that discouraged me about Planet Fitness, was the one on one attention that I felt members needed. I didn't feel like a personal trainer there, but just a trainer. I was discouraged by the lack of equipment. I know that Planet Fitness wants to make the gym experience non-intimidating, but Medicine balls, Bosu balls, and resistance bands are not intimidating. Physical therapist use these tools to help with patients.
Pros
free to use facitlies for employee and family
Cons
never felt like i was achieving my professional goals
Positive Environment
Member Services Representative / Overnight Cleaner (Former Employee) –  Brighton, MISeptember 10, 2015
I learned how to market to individuals and run a new computer system. The easiest part of the job was greeting and touring members. The most difficult part of the job on day shift was resolving billing and cancellation conflicts with aggressive members. The most difficult part of the third shift was the amount of cleaning required and the schedule was very difficult for me to manage my schooling and personal life. My co-workers were always great. On the night-shift I only worked with one other person or by myself which got pretty lonely and at times I wasn't comfortable being there alone.
Pros
Great atmosphere, paid breaks and great training
Cons
third shift required too much work for the staffing they had available, Management takes a long time to make schedule changes, It was difficult to communicate with management
very fun and enjoyable work place
Customer Service Representative (Former Employee) –  Orlando, FLOctober 16, 2012
first thing you do is clock in then do your "walk around" where you check for anything out of order or people breaking rules this is done every 20 mins all through out your shift then you check your to do list and complete your cleaning for the day. After you completed your cleaning you go up front to check in your members and wait for potential members to give information to. small number of co-workers so we all got along some were lazy but i liked to stay busy so it worked. Hardest part of the job would be disapline to members when you have to cancel someones membership. The most enjoyable part was the free gym membership and company events they would give us
Pros
we ate free lunch on fridays and first mondays of the month is pizza day
Cons
low staffed so call ins or emergencies were a inconvience when you really needed to take a day off
Planet Fitness
fitness coach (Current Employee) –  Schererville, INDecember 21, 2014
Daily walkthroughs. Walk the gym floor and look for members that look like they are having trouble with a machine or who are using equipment incorrectly. Offer assistance and try to book members for the planet fitness training classes. Also picking up trash, checking equipment, sanitation stations, and cleaning off equipment.
Lead fitness trainer to train new hired trainers on staff.
Reaching out to new members from previous day members report, informing the new members that have joined the gym and will have some question about equipment of the facility in general, getting them to sign up for PE@PF.
Monitoring the 30 minute circuit, which includes people currently doing the circuit incorrectly and informing them of the rules, also asking members if they need help with the circuit and getting them to sign up for the Planet Fitness training classes.
Best Management Team and Staff
Front Desk Assistant (Current Employee) –  Fredericksburg, VAJune 5, 2014
During a typical day at work I clock on, count the drawer and perform a walk around to check paper towels and spray bottles throughout the gym. When finished I grab all the paperwork that needs to be input and start inputting account and routing numbers for members. This isn't a mandatory task for the day but it keeps the work low for the General Manager and Assistant Manager. We operate as one large family. Best crew I have ever worked with. The hardest part of the job is when members try and blame you for their billing issues. You just have to smile and try to fix the problem as best as possible. Most of the time a small smile will fix everything. The most enjoyable part of the job is seeing our members better themselves and get healthy in a non-intimidating atmosphere.
Pros
no specific break time, advancement opportunities, great management
Toxic ownership bleeds managers dry
Regional Manager (Former Employee) –  Rochester, NYSeptember 17, 2014
I could write a novel...bottom line is Dave Leon who owns the Western NY franchises is a terrible person to work for. The ownership provides no guidance or support to their management team. The clubs are understaffed and what staff managers do have at their disposal are under paid and therefore nearly impossible to motivate. Managers are responsible for multi million dollar fitness facilities yet have no maintenance crew, assistant manager, or as I mentioned support from the ownership. I worked with this company for 5 years and was shown the door because of a health issue requiring hospitalization which caused me to miss 2 days of work. Just overall bad people and bad business. AVOID!!!
Pros
decent benefits and pay
Cons
no breaks (illegal), ownership is demeaning, disrespectful and uncooperative, hours are unacceptably long
Fun attractable facility
Customer Service (Current Employee) –  Dallas, TXOctober 12, 2013
Starting out my day is fun exciting and active, Iv'e learned lots of thing working for this gym facility such as data entry, customer service, having to work with computers on word and some excel. Management can be a little more demanding than being our friends and having sexual favoritism over others and other that work other shifts, I think management should treat everyone fairly and not unequal. My coworkers are little too selfish, don't speak to them very much beside a couple of them, they think they are better than everyone. I think the hardest part about my job is keeping all the members happy for the fact that other coworkers give them wrong info. and are not happy about it but other than that I love my job, meeting new people, cleaning the facility and having to come in a smile everyday
Pros
free membership
Cons
n/a
Fun work environment
Shift Supervisor (Former Employee) –  Mooresville, NCDecember 29, 2015
There is plenty to learn with Planet Fitness with costumer service. You are in constant contact with members which is very enjoyable. Most days are the same, answering questions and signing new members up. It is rare to find a team member that isn't great. I have worked with very few with this company that were not up to on a professional level. The hardest part of this job is try to explain to members or prospect members pieces of the agreement that simply don't make since. There are differences between franchises and clubs that are difficult to explain to someone that is upset. It is although, a good place to work if you are looking for a business that believes in the product that they are selling, even if their methods don't always make since.
Pros
great clientele, great coworkers, pizza monday
Cons
poor communication
3rd shift
Member Services (Current Employee) –  Woonsocket, RINovember 27, 2013
As a husband with a six year old daughter, working third shift is very hard to do for me. I sleep half the day away it seems and have little time with my wife and daughter.

A typical day at work consists of signing in members and signing up new ones. Cleaning the gym and stocking.

Management is alright. The owner seems to have favorites, that I do not like because it makes other employees like myself feel left out and unappreciated.

The cleaner I work with at night is a great guy, the morning person who relieves us is always late, but never gets into trouble or a word said.

The hardest part of this job is just staying awake at night (10pm-6am).
The most enjoyable part of this job is working with someone who can keep me awake and entertained.
Pros
decent co workers, easy job
Cons
no room for advancement, favortism, one free drink per shift
Planet Fitness
Full-time front desk associate (Former Employee) –  Cincinnati, OHAugust 10, 2014
Planet Fitness was the most terrible place I’ve ever been employed. Work consisted of signing up new members, touring new members, and checking in members at the front desk. I also had to do a lot of cleaning. The management skills here were awful. I can’t even fathom how a business can run on such poor management. The customers were incredibly rude, and would become irate for seemingly no reason. Co-workers were catty and would spread rumors for fun. The only thing I enjoyed about working here was the free membership, and even that wasn’t worth it. Members would flirt with me constantly, and I couldn’t stand how often I would get hit on or stared at by some of the creepy old men at the gym.
Pros
free membership
Cons
literally everything else. poor management, poor pay, rude customers, and immature co-workers.
Great staff, unrealistic expectations
Overnight Data Entry/Night Manager (Current Employee) –  Victor, NYApril 2, 2013
The people that work here are great. I get along with everyone here even though i rarely see them as I work overnight. I wouldn't mind doing this job as a part-time gig. Definitely not something to make a career out of. Management is fine whenever there is a manager. In my 2 years here I have seen 6 different managers. My biggest complaint would have to be with corporate. They seem to have these unrealistic expectations that the gym has to be spotless. It's a gym, people sweat, things will get dirty. We do our best to keep it clean but short of following every member around, it's impossible. At least my co-workers are united in that we're all in the same boat, let's make the best of it.
Pros
overnight shift gives you certain freedoms, more independence.
Cons
no benefits, no personal days.
Fun environment with many friendly people
Customer Service Rep (Former Employee) –  Boardman, OHMarch 1, 2014
A typical day at work is checking members into the gym, answering the telephone, answering member questions, and cleaning.

I've learned how to communicate well with people, have confidence in what I say to customers/members, and how to successfully keep customers/members happy.

I enjoyed working for the management I did, they were very understanding and taught me a lot.

My co-workers were not a problem to work with. I always made work fun with my co-workers but I knew when to be serious.

The hardest part of the job was making sure everything on the computer matched the paperwork but after getting used to it, I became very confident in my work.

The most enjoyable part of the job was building a relationship with the customers/members.
Pros
free gym membership
Cons
no benefits
The PF Crew
Shift Leader (Former Employee) –  Odessa, TXJune 3, 2015
A typical day at Planet Fitness was a fun and happy day. We saw our commited members on a daily basis and always had a wonderful short conversation as if we were old friends. Planet Fitness has tought me who I wanted to be business wise. How I wanted to be treated and how I should treat others. Co-Workers were a complete blast, there was never a dull moment! The most enjoyable part of working at PF was seeing your members day in and day out. The most hardest part of the job was when you would quit seeing those members coming in. I always found myself wondering if they were okay or if they had quit on coming in, it would have me worried because you see these people on a daily schedule and all of a sudden you don't see them anymore. It had me worried like a mother goose!
Pros
Interacted with Many People
Cons
No Benefits
Being in the Fitness industry to help with a healthy lifestyle for every customer we had come through the doors.
Front Desk Associate (Former Employee) –  Elyria, OHSeptember 5, 2012
I would check in members, took new members on tours of the facility, sold memberships, ran and cleaned the tanning beds, kept the equipment area clean. I learned how to multi-task and get my jobs done quickly and efficiently. My co-workers were a ton of help, and we were all able to communicate well so that no one was over stressed. The hardest part of the job was dealing with a grand opening where nothing was as organized as it should have been. The most rewarding part of the job was seeing the regular members come in and watch their transformation and being able to help motivate them.
Pros
the atmosphere was always fun and exciting
Cons
i could not gain any more hours or get any sort of raise.
Fast paced, family-like workplace with caring clients.
Customer Service Sales Representative (Former Employee) –  Carle Place, NYJuly 15, 2012
A typical day at work spares not a single minute on inactivity. With management always eager to please every customer; spirit, punctuality, endurance, and team leadership was instilled in the work motif of all staff. During special deals, gym activity was especially high, as I had to learn to stay quick on my feet, answer and direct inquiries, meet and exceed sales objectives, and build client relationships to maintain happy returning customers. Exceeding sales objectives was the challenge on the job, seeing your name at the top of the statistics in the end of the month was the reward.
Pros
set schedule, friendly staff, good management.
Cons
infrequent salary increase, only one manager on shift but too many customers.
Working in a gym is great experience and fun. I am a people person and the customers that come in are excited to be there and are open to your help.
Front Desk Greeter (Former Employee) –  Vestal Center, NYJuly 2, 2015
I would greet customers at the door offer new people a tour of the gym giving them a short description of each machine and showing my excitement about the gym. I worked with co-workers in keeping the gym clean and sharing the work duties each day. Answered phones, kept cooler and stock well stocked through out the day. The most enjoyable part of my day was the numerous customers that would stop by and thank my for my positive outlook and my help. The hardest part of my job was working with persons that were there for the wrong reasons instead of just enjoying their time and working.
Pros
The use of the gym at any time.
Cons
No benefits for part time work