Planned Parenthood Employee Reviews

Great Medical Assistant Experience
Medical Assistant/RHS III (Former Employee) –  Napa, CAMarch 18, 2016
My experience at this organization started with my passion for helping people, women's reproductive rights, and access to quality healthcare. Throughout my career I had many ups at Planned Parenthood but with the rapid growth of the organization Overall great experience.
Pros
non-profit, affordable healthcare, flexibility, cross training in front office/back office
Cons
salary, benefits, protestors, employee moral at times, lack of communication, non-qualified staff in certain roles
Fast-paced, clinic setting, providing medical care to young girls and women.
Medical Secretary/Clinic Coordinator (Former Employee) –  Albany, NYOctober 29, 2015
Preparing charts, scheduling appointments, answering phones, sometimes during controversial situations with the press, as Planned Parenthood does attract "interesting situations". Was promoted to Clinic coordinator so responsibilities included gathering B/P's and medical histories and pregnancy tests from patients as well as balancing the cash at the end of the day and often filling in as branch manager or running satellite clinics at SUNY. I had a wonderful relationship with everyone including the executive director, who gave me several merit raises. I really enjoyed running the satellite clinics and seeing all the SUNY girls come in. I find it hard to think of anything difficult except maybe learning to take bllod pressures at first. This was the most enjoyable job I ever had.
Pros
Working for a company I believed in, helping provide medical care for many women who wouldn't otherwise been able to ge t good care.
Cons
Alot of travel between sites.
Focus on women's healthcare
Supply Chain Coordinator (Former Employee) –  Colchester, VTMarch 26, 2016
Non-profit culture in which everyone needs to make sacrifices. Great focus on women's healthcare and helping those who otherwise might not receive sufficient medical services. The hardest part of working with any small company is not much room to grow or money to support growth (i.e. no tuition reimbursement).
Pros
Non-profit culture helping women and men access to excellent gynecologic health care
Cons
Not much room to grow in a small business
nothing worse than working for DE pph
clinician (Former Employee) –  DelawareAugust 24, 2016
Honestly the MOST disrespectful management I have ever encountered in my ENTIRE career. It was shocking how degrading management was to the very people providing services to clients.
Clients were generally easy to work with, But the 'frequent fliers' were
frankly too used to high quality , 'free' care and were allowed to abuse the system.
Very poor system as a whole, unsafe practices, (ie: HCA's performing jobs they are in NO WAY allowed by law to do.).
There were very clear racial preferences toward employees by management., Did not value clinicians.
One particular MD provider who used to mentally mark off her college savings fund for her child on AB days. Did as many as possible with absolutely no compassion or caring. just the paycheck.
Pros
it was a paycheck when I needed one
Cons
yikes, just read !
Averge place to work
Women's Health Nurse Practitioner (Former Employee) –  El Cajon, CAMarch 25, 2016
Average place to work. Clinicians are very pleasant and nice to work with. Management is very nice. Average benefits and Ce reimbursements.
Very stressful, but it was meaningful work
Reproductive Health Assistant II (Former Employee) –  Los Angeles, CADecember 12, 2015
We were all in it for the right reasons, and no matter what anyone may say, clinicians and clinic staff care deeply about patients and Planned Parenthood's mission.

Upper management was condescending and difficult to deal with. I absolutely did not trust any of my managers--they were duplicitous and consistently told you (or implied) that you were doing a terrible job. I learned a lot and got very good experience from my time there but the work culture is kinda bad. It wasn't always like that but a new management regime has made it a pretty terrible place to work.

Benefits are pretty good, but the pay is horrible and not commensurate with your level of daily stress. Various clinicians took stress leave while I was there.

It's a pretty good place to work for people who want to be Medical Assistants--the RHA's (reproductive health assistants) get cliquey and pretty mean to all of the people passing through on their way to Med-School, PA School, Nursing school, whatever the end goal may be. Once again, it wasn't always like that. There is also a rift between clinical staff and administrative staff. Poor management has let that kind of culture develop. Hiring also seems hinged on how long an RHA plans to stay nowadays.
Pros
great mission and meaningful work
Cons
tense and stressful work environment, TERRIBLE pay, didn't trust upper management
The worst ever
Health Center Assistant/ Training Coordinator (Current Employee) –  Santa Fe, NMSeptember 12, 2016
At time of hire I was told I would be full-time employee it's been months and still nothing. Management is awful, they make you work your butts off and you are not well compensated for all the work you do. No place for advancement they have denied me the opportunity to get a promotion from my previous manager. They never appreciate the work any of us do to keep the clinic running. They want us to treat patients very well, yet they don't start by treating their employees how they deserve. Just stay away from this place. The experience is great for entry level position but over all their place is awful.
Pros
Cons
Everything: Pay, stress, underappreciated.! Stay away.
Good environment, constant protocol change forward and back
Patient Service Specialist (Current Employee) –  Toledo, OHJune 15, 2016
9-5 day. If slow on patients there isn't a lot of down time work and this can upset admin. Amount of pay not equal to amount of work. Hardest part of job it delegating work as some employees aren't likely to follow an implemented protocol. Working with the population was excellent as you're giving services to people in need at an affordable fee that they cannot obtain at a PCP. Health insurance is below average for a healthcare organization.
Pros
Great interactions with patients, you feel you're making a difference by helping them obtain affordable healthcare
Cons
Health insurance is below average for a healthcare organization
Great Benefits and wage.
Medical Assistant (Current Employee) –  San Diego, CAMarch 17, 2016
Loved working for Planned Parenthood! The staff is amazing. Everybody you meet is super sweet. So many job positions with this company, I've worked here 2 years and have yet to meet everyone who works for Planned Parenthood. They try to reward you for going above and beyond with paid days off and sometimes gift cards! I dislike how often things are constantly changing with the company.
Pros
Benefits, employee perks, co-workers
Cons
30 minute lunch breaks. Constant changes.
Loved working at this place. The ultimate versatile job.
Health Care Specialist/Health Educator (Former Employee) –  White Cloud, MIOctober 8, 2015
I worked in a small office with two other staff members. We had a smaller clientele about which allowed us to get to know our patients on a more personal level. We saw our patients as people not numbers (like most medical facilities). I felt we were always able to give our clients the information they needed as well as the care they required. This office was truly the way a medical office should be ran. The management was great, staff was always included in executive decisions. There was never any drama in the workplace. I felt like I was always able to help people regardless of their ability to pay and that was a good feeling.
Pros
Smaller office, great staff, excellent management, decent benefits.
Cons
Government funding needed for services.
Great Non profit organization designed to help Women's Reproductive Health
Medical Assistant (Current Employee) –  Wilmington, DESeptember 10, 2015
Fun place to work with somewhat supportive management. Excessive amount of politics which is out of our control. The most enjoyable part of this job is I like helping all types of people and my co workers are very supportive, we learn from each other and display teamwork at all times.
Pros
Travel Reimbursement
Cons
No raises
Interesting and helpfull
Medical Assistant (Current Employee) –  Tracy, CAJune 25, 2016
It's a very fast-paced environment I have acquired so many skills like venipuncture, STI counseling and Medication Abortion counseling. My co-workers are excellent team players unfortunately management lacks experience or education. The hardest part of the job is having to sometimes rush patients out the door because you don't have time do to over booked appts. I love working there because I have the opportunity to help young teens and translate for spanish speaking patients.
Pros
Great co-workers
Cons
No breaks, management is not compassionate toward patients or staff
Awesome Co-workers, Full of potential
Patient Access Representative (Current Employee) –  Los Angeles, CAJanuary 19, 2016
I've learned a lot from PPLA in regards to Family Planning. My Co-workers are phenomenal. However, PPLA has not kept their employees in the know about what has been happening, especially after being on the news for the past few months. PPLA, has lost many employees over the past few months, and I'm no too sure if HQ has noticed the pattern. PPLA, is definitely a good place to start your career to build your resume'. I appreciate all that I've learned and all of the wonderful people I've encountered.
Pros
knowledable company, ability to learn a lot if willing to
Cons
under paid, a lot of employees are unhappy considering the amount of work that is thrown to them
An exciting yet challenging view of business operations
Finance/Accounting Intern (Former Employee) –  Manhattan, NYSeptember 20, 2016
While at Planned Parenthood Federation of America, everyday encompassed a insightful understanding of the business world. I learned a great deal of what an accounting department deals with on a daily basis. From performing accounting reconciliations to assisting in audit review protocols, my time at Planned Parenthood was a challenging one. However, I am forever grateful and gracious for the people I encountered during my tenure.
Pros
Relaxed work environment
Agency provides unbiased health care
MEDICAID DIRECTOR (Former Employee) –  Schenectady, NYAugust 26, 2016
I worked at the agency for over 32 years. Much has and is still changing in the world of health care delivery so I will write this review based on my first 30 years of employment there. The focus was always on the patient and their needs. No matter what their gender, what their age, what their ethnicity...everyone was treated the same. This was a place to grow beyond anything ever envisioned. As I advanced withing the agency, I was allowed to pursue wherever the path led. I was taught many new things including the EHR. I became a trainer for the NYSDOH under a grant and found much joy in providing training, guidance, researching, disseminating State written policy and regulations and then putting that out to staff in lay mans terms. The people and the management were impeccable, I was expected to keep up on laws by regularly visiting the State website and reading directives put out. Co-workers were amazing and anyone who was there would step up to help their fellow workers. For those of us who were there after a couple of years we felt like it was a family...our work family.
Pros
non-discriminatory
Cons
re-organization
NP/Clinician II
Clinician (Current Employee) –  Pomona, CAMay 15, 2016
So I just got hired there recently as a nurse practitioner, I have been having a hard time finding employment with benefits, good pay, retirement and room for growth other than just being a NP.
Even though I have not been at the company long, I can certainly say that the salary and benefits are good. Much better than working in a private doctors office. I totally recommend it if you are looking for a secure job. I have heard there is a high turn over, but I think it is because they hire new grads and the new grads want to get out and find a better place. I, however, feel like this is one of the top non profit places you can work. As previously work as a hospital floor nurse I was used to certain benefits and actually thought my benefits were typical, but hospital large companies benefits are hard to come by at doctors offices. Not to mention that they have no real corporate structure like PPLA.
Pros
Benefits, corporate structure with regular raises.
Cons
women's health can get boring after a while
Productive fast paced work environment
Healthcare Assistant (Current Employee) –  DelawareMarch 1, 2016
Things are always hectic and fast paced at the office, and this includes all 3 locations. Planned Parenthood can have their good days and their bad days just like any other medical office, I just take it day by day. I have a family to care for and Planned Parenthood helps me do that by having me as a employee.
Pros
Free lunches, trainings, travel pay, steady work
Cons
Short lunch, no breaks, no management
My Busy day's
Health Center Assistant (Current Employee) –  Columbia, SCJune 9, 2016
My typical day would be extremely busy, I enjoy the fast pace work environment. Through my experiences I have learned to be patient and to listen to patients when they are talking all information is vital to proper health care. Im a happy go lucky girl I get along with everyone and all my friends are former co- workers who I still hang with today. The hardest part of my job is getting to know a patient and seeing them pass.The most enjoyable part of my job is having the opportunity to get to know the patients I treat, and laughing with them.
Pros
New people
Cons
Good Health Insurance
Great Place To Work
executive assistant (Former Employee) –  Newark, NJJanuary 9, 2016
This company is a great place to work with good benefits. Competitive salary.There's nothing more that I care to say about this job.
Horrible Place to Work
Center Manager- Family Planning (Former Employee) –  Wilmington, DEJune 8, 2016
Worked for this organization in Wilmington, DE and I must say this by far was the worst organization I've worked for. There was constant turnover due to the horrible work conditions. Management did not know how to effectively manage and as a result, set unrealistic expectations and demands on their employees. Definitely not a family friendly atmosphere. Would not recommend anyone to work for this organization in the Delaware area.
Pros
Cons
Not Family Oriented, Inconsistent work hours, inexperienced senior management

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Planned Parenthood. Our community is ready to answer.