Planned Parenthood Employee Reviews in United States

Great Medical Assistant Experience
Medical Assistant/RHS III (Former Employee) –  Napa, CAMarch 18, 2016
My experience at this organization started with my passion for helping people, women's reproductive rights, and access to quality healthcare. Throughout my career I had many ups at Planned Parenthood but with the rapid growth of the organization Overall great experience.
Pros
non-profit, affordable healthcare, flexibility, cross training in front office/back office
Cons
salary, benefits, protestors, employee moral at times, lack of communication, non-qualified staff in certain roles
Great Benefits and wage.
Medical Assistant (Current Employee) –  San Diego, CAMarch 17, 2016
Loved working for Planned Parenthood! The staff is amazing. Everybody you meet is super sweet. So many job positions with this company, I've worked here 2 years and have yet to meet everyone who works for Planned Parenthood. They try to reward you for going above and beyond with paid days off and sometimes gift cards! I dislike how often things are constantly changing with the company.
Pros
Benefits, employee perks, co-workers
Cons
30 minute lunch breaks. Constant changes.
Fast-paced, clinic setting, providing medical care to young girls and women.
Medical Secretary/Clinic Coordinator (Former Employee) –  Albany, NYOctober 29, 2015
Preparing charts, scheduling appointments, answering phones, sometimes during controversial situations with the press, as Planned Parenthood does attract "interesting situations". Was promoted to Clinic coordinator so responsibilities included gathering B/P's and medical histories and pregnancy tests from patients as well as balancing the cash at the end of the day and often filling in as branch manager or running satellite clinics at SUNY. I had a wonderful relationship with everyone including the executive director, who gave me several merit raises. I really enjoyed running the satellite clinics and seeing all the SUNY girls come in. I find it hard to think of anything difficult except maybe learning to take bllod pressures at first. This was the most enjoyable job I ever had.
Pros
Working for a company I believed in, helping provide medical care for many women who wouldn't otherwise been able to ge t good care.
Cons
Alot of travel between sites.
Loved working at this place. The ultimate versatile job.
Health Care Specialist/Health Educator (Former Employee) –  White Cloud, MIOctober 8, 2015
I worked in a small office with two other staff members. We had a smaller clientele about which allowed us to get to know our patients on a more personal level. We saw our patients as people not numbers (like most medical facilities). I felt we were always able to give our clients the information they needed as well as the care they required. This office was truly the way a medical office should be ran. The management was great, staff was always included in executive decisions. There was never any drama in the workplace. I felt like I was always able to help people regardless of their ability to pay and that was a good feeling.
Pros
Smaller office, great staff, excellent management, decent benefits.
Cons
Government funding needed for services.
Averge place to work
Women's Health Nurse Practitioner (Former Employee) –  El Cajon, CAMarch 25, 2016
Average place to work. Clinicians are very pleasant and nice to work with. Management is very nice. Average benefits and Ce reimbursements.
Shows you how to be human
Clinical Assistant (Former Employee) –  Appleton, WIFebruary 2, 2016
You truly become a healer for those who need your help. I was so thankful to have had time with my patients and to make them as comfortable as they could be. I was an open ear for them to vent with.
Pros
The most rewarding job ever
Cons
only part time and no benefits
Very stressful, but it was meaningful work
Reproductive Health Assistant II (Former Employee) –  Los Angeles, CADecember 12, 2015
We were all in it for the right reasons, and no matter what anyone may say, clinicians and clinic staff care deeply about patients and Planned Parenthood's mission.

Upper management was condescending and difficult to deal with. I absolutely did not trust any of my managers--they were duplicitous and consistently told you (or implied) that you were doing a terrible job. I learned a lot and got very good experience from my time there but the work culture is kinda bad. It wasn't always like that but a new management regime has made it a pretty terrible place to work.

Benefits are pretty good, but the pay is horrible and not commensurate with your level of daily stress. Various clinicians took stress leave while I was there.

It's a pretty good place to work for people who want to be Medical Assistants--the RHA's (reproductive health assistants) get cliquey and pretty mean to all of the people passing through on their way to Med-School, PA School, Nursing school, whatever the end goal may be. Once again, it wasn't always like that. There is also a rift between clinical staff and administrative staff. Poor management has let that kind of culture develop. Hiring also seems hinged on how long an RHA plans to stay nowadays.
Pros
great mission and meaningful work
Cons
tense and stressful work environment, TERRIBLE pay, didn't trust upper management
I love it
Medical Receptionist (Current Employee) –  Buffalo, NYMarch 7, 2016
I love my job, Somethings like with any company need to be worked on. They are very understanding and have great benefits . over all is a great place to work.
Great Place To Work
executive assistant (Former Employee) –  Newark, NJJanuary 9, 2016
This company is a great place to work with good benefits. Competitive salary.There's nothing more that I care to say about this job.
Great Non profit organization designed to help Women's Reproductive Health
Medical Assistant (Current Employee) –  Wilmington, DESeptember 10, 2015
Fun place to work with somewhat supportive management. Excessive amount of politics which is out of our control. The most enjoyable part of this job is I like helping all types of people and my co workers are very supportive, we learn from each other and display teamwork at all times.
Pros
Travel Reimbursement
Cons
No raises
Rewarding
employee (Current Employee) –  AnonymousDecember 18, 2015
A fast paced, excellent and rewarding place to work. Everyone is dedicated to the provision of superior, non-judgmental care to all patients.
Pros
Great benefits, flexible work schedules
Rewarding, high pace and stressful
Care not to say. (Former Employee) –  planned parenthood dcFebruary 3, 2016
The job is rewarding, yet it is a high stress environment within every level. On a monthly basis there are additional duties added to our job description and with limited amount of notification provided. Sometimes it makes no sense!!!!There is so much emphasis on seeing patients, meeting visit numbers that the mission gets lost and has gotten lost for the company. More patients, fewer personal, limited space, and longer wait time for patients. Overall less returning patients. Who would return? I wouldn't. Although staff shows great respect and dedication to patients, electronic medical record system is very unappealing to patients when all eyes are on the screen and not the patient. Patients feel rushed out after waiting more than expected. Staff feel overwhelmed and unappreciated. Senior management consistently increase the amount of patients that must be seen because of their inability to allocate their funds , grants correctly and having an inadequate billing system.

There is a high employee turnover for the company due to its monumental ongoing responsibilities and no pay increase. There is always a billion projects introduced that makes no sense. Some of the greatest senior staff this company has ever had were discharged, while others with limited experience and knowledge for the company were kept or hired.
Senior management is clueless in providing structure or valid reasoning for their decision making and unable to comprehend their mistakes when things are not working. Staff are expected to work like robots!!! They are underpaid and overworked.

I
  more... must admit though among all the negative feedback provided, every health center staff show great pride in their work and especially have tremendous respect for their patients.
Frontline staff at every health center keep this organization moving forward while others with their pretentious views keep the organization at a stand still.
Pros
Great center staff, good benefits
Cons
high stressful, underpaid, expected to work like robots
Awesome Co-workers, Full of potential
Patient Access Representative (Current Employee) –  Los Angeles, CAJanuary 19, 2016
I've learned a lot from PPLA in regards to Family Planning. My Co-workers are phenomenal. However, PPLA has not kept their employees in the know about what has been happening, especially after being on the news for the past few months. PPLA, has lost many employees over the past few months, and I'm no too sure if HQ has noticed the pattern. PPLA, is definitely a good place to start your career to build your resume'. I appreciate all that I've learned and all of the wonderful people I've encountered.
Pros
knowledable company, ability to learn a lot if willing to
Cons
under paid, a lot of employees are unhappy considering the amount of work that is thrown to them
NP/Clinician II
Clinician (Current Employee) –  Pomona, CAMay 15, 2016
So I just got hired there recently as a nurse practitioner, I have been having a hard time finding employment with benefits, good pay, retirement and room for growth other than just being a NP.
Even though I have not been at the company long, I can certainly say that the salary and benefits are good. Much better than working in a private doctors office. I totally recommend it if you are looking for a secure job. I have heard there is a high turn over, but I think it is because they hire new grads and the new grads want to get out and find a better place. I, however, feel like this is one of the top non profit places you can work. As previously work as a hospital floor nurse I was used to certain benefits and actually thought my benefits were typical, but hospital large companies benefits are hard to come by at doctors offices. Not to mention that they have no real corporate structure like PPLA.
Pros
Benefits, corporate structure with regular raises.
Cons
women's health can get boring after a while
Productive fast paced work environment
Healthcare Assistant (Current Employee) –  DelawareMarch 1, 2016
Things are always hectic and fast paced at the office, and this includes all 3 locations. Planned Parenthood can have their good days and their bad days just like any other medical office, I just take it day by day. I have a family to care for and Planned Parenthood helps me do that by having me as a employee.
Pros
Free lunches, trainings, travel pay, steady work
Cons
Short lunch, no breaks, no management
Focus on women's healthcare
Supply Chain Coordinator (Former Employee) –  Colchester, VTMarch 26, 2016
Non-profit culture in which everyone needs to make sacrifices. Great focus on women's healthcare and helping those who otherwise might not receive sufficient medical services. The hardest part of working with any small company is not much room to grow or money to support growth (i.e. no tuition reimbursement).
Pros
Non-profit culture helping women and men access to excellent gynecologic health care
Cons
Not much room to grow in a small business
Interesting and helpfull
Medical Assistant (Current Employee) –  Tracy, CAJune 25, 2016
It's a very fast-paced environment I have acquired so many skills like venipuncture, STI counseling and Medication Abortion counseling. My co-workers are excellent team players unfortunately management lacks experience or education. The hardest part of the job is having to sometimes rush patients out the door because you don't have time do to over booked appts. I love working there because I have the opportunity to help young teens and translate for spanish speaking patients.
Pros
Great co-workers
Cons
No breaks, management is not compassionate toward patients or staff
Ok place to work
CLINIC ASSISTANT (Current Employee) –  Bettendorf, IAJune 2, 2015
I absolutely loved my job but I think with better management things would have been a lot different in the way our day was run. I have learned a lot from this job and have definitely grown in my knowledge of computer skills and customer service skills as well as compassion for patients. I enjoyed all of my coworkers and have made lifelong friends from this job as well. I really enjoyed everything that we provided for women as a whole.
Pros
PTO was outstanding
Cons
No lunch breaks or breaks in general, no match on 401k
My Busy day's
Health Center Assistant (Current Employee) –  Columbia, SCJune 9, 2016
My typical day would be extremely busy, I enjoy the fast pace work environment. Through my experiences I have learned to be patient and to listen to patients when they are talking all information is vital to proper health care. Im a happy go lucky girl I get along with everyone and all my friends are former co- workers who I still hang with today. The hardest part of my job is getting to know a patient and seeing them pass.The most enjoyable part of my job is having the opportunity to get to know the patients I treat, and laughing with them.
Pros
New people
Cons
Good Health Insurance
Reproductive and fun place to work. Great compensation and benefits.
Reproductive Health Assistant (Former Employee) –  Burbank, CAMay 18, 2016
Company has great benefits when it comes to insurance; medical and life. Also has a retirement plan and options with medical and dental insurance. I like that clinicians allow medical assistants to participate and assist and procedures. Work environment is great everyone works as a team. Only bad thing is that company would no be willing to work around school schedule and degree is required to advance to management positions.
Pros
Two different work schedules available
Cons
Short breaks

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Planned Parenthood. Our community is ready to answer.