Planned Parenthood Employee Reviews

Fast paced environment
Patient Care Revenue Biller (Former Employee) –  New York, NYDecember 2, 2014
My daily duties as a biller included creating HCFA and UB claims, reconciliation of state funded insurance (Medicaid), and various insurances. I verified insurance eligibility for patients and ensured that allowances, adjustments and write-offs were posted accurately.
I also reviewed and resolved discrepancies while posting payments to the appropriate accounts.

During my time I acquired a working knowledge of revenue codes and HCPS codes.

I worked closely with management to troubleshoot issues. I felt my manager was very knowledgeable, and she shared that knowledge with the staff. I worked closely with my team mates ensuring a productive environment.

The greatest challenge of this position was the volume.
The most enjoyable part of this job was the self-confidence I have gained from being able to overcome the day to day challenges of this position.
Pros
overcoming challenges and new experiences
Cons
overwhelming backload
little work/life balance and unfair treatment of employees
Coordinator (Former Employee) –  St. Louis, MOOctober 17, 2014
Typical work day included patients being upset about being misquoted prices on the phone. The wait times were extrememly long even before I started working there. I learned that you will be asked for input but it will not be considered it is just to 'shut you up'. Management is not very good. They micromanage and have very little sense of how the health center operates. The co-workers are pretty good. They can be sort of teamed up with one another and make the job more difficult that it needs to be. The hardest part of the job is that learning price for services and there is still no real sense of it. The most enjoyable aspect was the patients. Their different stories are wonderful and even their personalities are great.
Pros
patients become like family
Cons
no group lunches, lack of recognition by senior management, benefits are expensive, no room for advancement, no real training system is in place
sex /reproductive health group presentations
Community Sex Health Instructor (Former Employee) –  Riverside, CAFebruary 25, 2013
I usually attended monthly meetings to keep updated with new and emerging information that would be help me give better presentations about the resources Planned Parenthood offers. A typical day at work consisted with preparing myself for group presentations- I would usually call up people to make appointments, I'd give group presentations about sexual/reproductive health, I usually answered questions in the end, and would write up a report about the presentation. My co-workers and the management were always supportive, we created a safe place where we had open discussions about the work that we do. The hardest part of the job was filling out the reports. The most enjoyable part was working with the community and feeling like you actually helped the community by informing them.
Pros
interactive communication with the community and co-workers
Cons
short hours
Dynamic, busy reproductive health care clinics
Nurse Practitioner (Current Employee) –  Riverside CountySeptember 25, 2012
PP is fast-paced, innovative, and has traditionally been a great place to learn and sharpen reproductive health care skills. The licensed staff and unlicensed staff is managed by center manager. The clinic flow is controlled by a flow coordinator. The clinic have from one to four mid-level clinicians. The most difficult is part of the job is trying provide care for underinsured/uninsured patients with limited resources who need care for acute and chronic health conditions that reach beyond PP limitations. The most enjoyable parts of the job is the patients especially when women feel free to ask questions or express concerns about issues not easily discussed at routine health visits from talking with teens about reproductive care to climeractic issues.
Pros
excellent training programs
Cons
breaks are seldom possible, fast is considered good.
Productive and very Team work-oriented.
Teen Advocate (Former Employee) –  New York, NYSeptember 4, 2014
A typical day would begin with my fellow teen advocates and I educating teens between the ages of 11-18 about reproductive health. On a regular basis we would go to schools or after-school programs to facilitate workshops on different topics which include the following: Teen Rights, Healthy Relationships, STI's, Abstinence, and much more. The most enjoyable part of the job was being able to enlighten teenagers in my age group with information that could have major affects on their reproductive health and their lives. Co-facilitating the workshops with other teen advocates made the job even better because it gave me the experience of working as a team. This job also gave me the skills of being able to manage a large group of people and being open to new people whom I have never met.
Pros
enhanced speaking skills, free lunch
Cons
n/a
The most rewarding job emotionally and financially
Patient Services Assistant III, Clinic Manager (Former Employee) –  Ventura, CAFebruary 15, 2015
Supervising the flow of patients throughout the clinic

Supervising a staff of 10-20 employees performing a variety of tasks from receptionists to medical assistants to Nurse Practitioners.

Bank reconciliations and deposits

Problem solving: client flow, staffing issues, testing results, client issues

Team facilitating, making sure the team worked in a supportive efficient manner. Motivating team work

Dealing with emergency situations if necessary (interaction with the police)

Client and staff scheduling

Assisted physicians and Nurse Practitioners with basic medical procedures

Staff training: customer service
Pros
emotional rewards from helping men and women, incredible team work throughout the clinic
Cons
being on call in the evenings and weekends
Nice work environment, with wide opportunities to grow professionally.
Checkout Specialist (Former Employee) –  San Jose, CAMay 28, 2014
Working at Planned Parenthood was an awesome experience. Due to the volume of patients that they have, I learned how to multi-task and work under pressure. Keeping our patients comfortable and providing them with a high quality of service was always our top priority.
Management always gave me the opportunity to grow professionally.I was always trying to learn new things and help in other areas, so management made it possible for me to learn four different positions, and get promoted. My co-workers were always supportive. The fact that we were all working towards the same goal, which was helping the community get good quality of healthcare (pediatrics, primary care, reproductive health, etc), was full-filling. I enjoyed being part of this team.
Pros
great benefits.
Training staff to do the job of a medical assistance
Medical Staff Trainer (Current Employee) –  Burton, MIJuly 2, 2013
I train staff to perform the daily duties of working the front desk using EMR to check patients in and out, in put billingn charges and self paying charges. Answering the phones, making appointments and reviewing medical records. I train staff to perform the duties of the clinical portion of the office, drawing blood, taking vitals, doing intake on patients, cleaning and wrapping instruments and all that is required to give care to patients, One day a week I perform ultrasounds on patients to determine gestational age of patients getting services performed in the office. Once a month I facilite a three day training in a classroom setting for new staff hires.
Pros
being able to travel to different cites to meet new staff.
Cons
working really late hours not accomidating to a family.
MIssion
Center Assistant (Former Employee) –  Hempstead, NYDecember 22, 2013
Planned Parenthood is an organization whose mission is to provide care to everyone no matter their age, race/ethnicity, sexual orientation, if they have insurance or not, or the amount of money the individual made. My job consisted of educating patients about safe sexual practices, birth control, and STI/STD prevention, as well as assisting doctors in surgical procedures. The hardest part of the job was when there was a situation where I was not able to help due to the severity and sensitivity of the situation, but I was able to refer the individuals to where they can receive the best care. The most enjoyable part about my job was being able to help patients, and educate patients so they can make better choices about their sexual activities.
Pros
attending rallies, and meeting mayors
Cons
not flexible with my school schedule
I learned alot working at Planned Parenthood, but the pay is low. Also there is no room for growth, it is a small billing department.
Billing Assistant (Current Employee) –  Baltimore, MDMarch 10, 2014
A typical day at work I would come in, and check my encounters from my centers. Then I would check our clearing house for any claims on hold for errors. Correct those claims on hold then set ready to bill electronically. Answer my voice mail for any messages from patients, staff, or insurances companies. Depending on the day I would then start my cash clearing, by posting money to patients accounts. I cover all basis of back end billing, and coding. Right now I am working on my AR so I am doing a lot of resubmitting, and appealing claims. The most part I enjoy about my job is feeling like I am helping people.
Pros
i get to receive experience in all concepts of billing.
Cons
no room for growth, low wages, 35 hours a week only
Serves the community in the way it needs
Assistant Manager (Current Employee) –  Seattle, WAJune 23, 2015
*A typical day at work would include M-F about 9-5 with some flexible hours.
*I have learned many different skills working at Planned Parenthood for several years including how to maintain patient confidentiality and understanding for the needs of women in healthcare settings.
*I think the management can vary from clinic to clinic.
*We have gone through many co-workers throughout my time with the company. Many of who are returning to further their education. Some will come back and work per-diem.
*The hardest part of the job is remembering that each individual has a story that you may not know about and you always have to assume the best.
*The most enjoyable part of the job is being able to help individuals during a time that can be very emotional or embarrassing for them.
Loved working at this place. The ultimate versatile job.
Health Care Specialist/Health Educator (Former Employee) –  White Cloud, MIOctober 8, 2015
I worked in a small office with two other staff members. We had a smaller clientele about which allowed us to get to know our patients on a more personal level. We saw our patients as people not numbers (like most medical facilities). I felt we were always able to give our clients the information they needed as well as the care they required. This office was truly the way a medical office should be ran. The management was great, staff was always included in executive decisions. There was never any drama in the workplace. I felt like I was always able to help people regardless of their ability to pay and that was a good feeling.
Pros
Smaller office, great staff, excellent management, decent benefits.
Cons
Government funding needed for services.
Medical Assistant (Former Employee) –  Burbank, CANovember 4, 2014
Even though I was a temp i felt welcomed from day one .The staff was so family oriented ,They all were willing to help out and if ou forgot anything in training then asking was accepted always .I truely missed working with all the ladies .Some of the management could use some training in respect to employees and also be a bit more forgiving or equal .The hardest part of this job was watching patient leave with bad news the best part was offering help to everyone who i came in contact with .I remembered a pt came in and she wasnt sure how to get home on bus from clinic and they ladies went out there way to get her every route she found the easiest .Overall i will be honered to be a part of this company as a regular employee
Pros
learning to work on nextgen keeping me up to dated
Cons
not being hired
Fun and great learning experience
Medical Assistant (Former Employee) –  Sacramento, CAJanuary 21, 2013
A typical day at work in clock in and check the rooms we were assigned and also check the back board on what rooms we have and what provider we will be working with that day.

I learned so much,I learned how to check the charts posting patients to discharge them and have them ready for the provider and medication names as well.

Management was great and we would talk to them if a situation came up, and everything was so organized.

My co-workers where great to work with and always supported each other and had good times.

The hardest part of the job would be the patients and meeting there demands.

The most enjoyable part of the job was understanding patients and how the medical field really works.
Pros
we had fun activities
Cons
the hr and my previous management t was not good.
Poor Managment
Surgical Assistant- Lead Educator/Counselor (Former Employee) –  Baltimore, MDNovember 18, 2013
A typical day began with paying 10 dollars a day to park in a parking garage. I learned a lot from the doctors and co workers I worked with but the management staff was very poor. In the 6 months I was there 3 people from my direct management staff got fired for misconduct of some sort. Very rude individuals. My coworkers were great girls. The hardest part of my job was the travel and the paying to park. The most enjoyable part of my job was either setting up IVs and drawing blood which I enjoy doing, or helping the patients through a really hard time in there life by just being compassionate and nice to them.
Pros
free lunches when we did get lunch, a lot of learning experience, room for growth
Cons
too much travel, pay to park, downtown driving, poor managment.
Nice and Decent place to work
Data Analyst/Lead Customer Service Rep (Current Employee) –  Los Angeles, CASeptember 25, 2013
Working for a Non-Profit has opened my eyes to many different things but specially the vast difference between Non-profit vs. Private sectors. It has enabled me to grow more in various areas since now I do have the two points of reference. The ability to adapt quickly and modify certain skills and work methods has also been a bright point of working for PPLA. The most enjoyable part of my job has been in the last couple of years when I have had the opportunity to work on projects with other departments and be part of a development team. It has help me develop my interpersonal skills and focus since everyone is a piece of a bigger picture.
Pros
very flexible with work schedule and great people.
Cons
current position lacks possiblity of growth
Amazing people and wonderful organization
Advanced Medical Assistant (Current Employee) –  Stapleton, COMay 12, 2013
Planned Parenthood is truly a fantastic, forward-thinking, and tight-knit work community. The administration is always seeking to improve patient care and outreach at all levels of the community. Within the health centers, care is patient-focused and fast-paced. Doctors, physician assistants, nurses, nurse practitioners, and health center assistants work together to provide affordable and accessible health care to all demographics of people.
Pros
fantastic people throughout planned parenthood of the rocky mountains, mission/purpose-driven work, great training and employee investment
Cons
high turnover in health centers, high volume patient load makes for stimulating/sometimes stressful day
No longer women's health centered mission, corporate focus
Nurse Practictioner (Former Employee) –  NY and NassauNovember 25, 2012
If you are really interested in a faclity that has a Women's Health centered mission forget Planned Parenthood, they are corporate centered. Clinicians may learn there but are not allowed to be truly independent and critical decisions makers. All mainly follow Planned Parenthood philosophy. Be careful with post abortion bleeding and follow up, referrals to a hospital are not welcome. Be careful of who you decide will use contraceptives and which contraceptive you will use, they are many times pushed on poorly educated patients. Overall not for experienced practitioners unless you go along to get along!!!!!!!!
Pros
decent salary for beginners
Cons
security issues, floating issues, np issues
Opened my job opportunities in healthcare and social services
HIV Counselor / Patient Coordinator (Former Employee) –  New York, NYMay 14, 2013
The first couple of hours of work were the busiest. Deadlines were always around 1:00 pm. Every few months there were training to attend which I really liked. I learned how to communicate with patients and many levels of staff such as surgeons, nurse practitioners, social workers and more. Towards the end of my career w/ the company I was given a leader role which then taught me how to become one. The co-workers were amazing always pleasant. The hardest part of the job was situations not being corrected in a rightful manner. I loved working in the city especially the rustic parts of Manhattan, it made my commute great.
Pros
long breaks
Cons
sometimes there was unecessary drama
great mission, if the company complied with the mission ....
HEALTH CARE ASSISTANT/MEDICAL ASSISTANT (Current Employee) –  Springdale, OHJuly 22, 2012
Very over whelming due to many things required from the management , I enjoy working with my "team" on a daily basis. I love the patients and knowing I make a make a difference everyday makes my job worth it. The management has changed hands several times over the years and with that being said I have not received a raise in three years. I give 100% everyday and get nothing in return with a raise or even an acknowledgement , I feel to have a successful business the moral is very important; and at this point and time the moral is not very good and its obvious with the down fall of the company.
Pros
satisfaction of helping patients
Cons
long hours, stressful, not enough quality workers