Planned Parenthood Employee Reviews

Extremely busy practice
Medical Office Assistant (Former Employee) –  Easton, PANovember 7, 2013
Most days there would be a line of patients waiting to be seen before we even opened the doors. Very busy women's center. I learned to be extremely productive and able to multi task from the front desk to back office procedures at a moment's notice. I registered patients, took payments, scheduled appointments, preformed all back office procedures to making sure rooms were stocked, everything was sterilized. Took weight, vitals, urine and blood samples. No matter how busy we were I always provided every patient with the care and concern they required when they entered the office.
Pros
being able to provide health care to people who otherwise couldn’t afford care
Cons
no breaks, frustrating wait times for patients
If you enjoy helping others...
Employee (Current Employee) –  MaineJanuary 16, 2013
this is the place to be. There are so many people/patients in need at this time in our economy, that PPNNE medical health services are in diar need. Especially with many losing insurance, losing Mainecare (or having Mainecare and other physicians not accepting it). Our team of Health Care Associates and Practitioners are the best I have ever worked with. They work hard every day to stay on top of the ever changing protocols and standardization processes.
Pros
working for the people of the community and trying to help in what little ways possible that we can.
Cons
new administration has pushed staff to their limits, excellence is one thing, but remember to smell the roses on the way...it gets you further and with more respect.
Planned Parenthood of the Great Northwest
Patient Care Coordinator (Current Employee) –  Seattle, WAApril 23, 2015
During a typical day at work, it is likely we see patients from all walks of life. It is always a new learning experiece despite the limited services we offer in each clinic. I have learned to work in unison with my peers in offering the best healthcare possible and our patients can see that as we work day in and day out. The responses that we receive from them reflect the outstanding patient care we are committed to provide. The job itself can become difficult when there is not adequate staff to cover all areas necessary for the work day, but we have managed to make it work each time. The most enjoyable part is the positive environment we have worked in through the years.
Respecful and a great place to work
Receptionist (Former Employee) –  Weaverville, CAJuly 13, 2012
For me a typical day was answering phones, making appointments, running medi-cal, checking in and out patients, filing, making new charts for new patients, and taking payments and returning proper change. I helped my coworkers if they needed it.My co workers were really great ladies. They were laid back and fun and they had done such a great job there. The hardest part of the job was making sure I got everything done the right way.Making sure I was asking the right questions to those who needed answers. The most enjoyable part of the job was knowing that no matter what those of us at planned parenthood was doing what we could to help the community that wanted or needed the services from us.
Wonderful place to work.
Reproductive Counselor (Former Employee) –  New York, NYJune 22, 2015
Interviewed clients daily to obtain medical needs and history. Met with over 20 clients a day. Daily paper work, counseling, informed clients concerning HIV, family planning, birth control, HPV etc. Learned how to listen and observe behavior concerning client's emotional state. In addition improved my skills as a crisis counselor. Co-workers were very easy to get along with and supportive. The hardest part of the job was working with victims, due to their pain and suffering, and not being able to continue to see them. The most enjoyable part of the job was being there for those who were in need.
Pros
Free lunches on Saturdays, Breaks were expected, love the people.
Cons
Pay was a little low.
MEDICAL ASST/ HCA
Medical Assistant (Former Employee) –  Houston, TXNovember 29, 2012
A typical day consist of performing routine administrative and clinical tasks, revolving around patient care like triaging patients such as blood draws, injections. You learn something new every day. Educating and providing great services to low income families/ WWE, BCM, Blood work, ect... Management & co-workers are great team players,They truly care about all staff as well as every patient. Keep in mind this facility is very fast pace clinic, seeing about 30-50 patient per day. So unfortunately luches are only 30min. the best thing about them is making a difference in peoples life, and great staff and such a great organization to work for.
Pros
making a difference
Cons
short lunches
clinic setting helping patients
Clinic Assistant (Former Employee) –  Minneapolis, MNJuly 31, 2014
for a while I would go in and open the clinic turn on the computers unlocked medical records and started with getting ready for the day. When patients started coming in I would call them to the back take their vitals made sure they had all their paper work filled out correctly. Then as soon as the patient was ready the nurse practitioner would go in I would put patients info into computer so when NP would be ready to do her work on the computer I would be done. The nurse would exit the patient but I would already be with the next patient . and so on I would also do different lab work and test.
Pros
loved helping and the education was great
Cons
to far from home the drive was bad
Creating a pleasant, and confidential enviorment for both clients and colleagues
Licensed Practioner Nurse (Former Employee) –  WIFebruary 14, 2014
- Prepare Nursing Station for Doctor's clinic
- Take vital signs of patients
- Assessing clients complaints regarding their physical health that day in regards to their Doctor's visit that day.
- As it relates to co-workers, the office environment dictate's total team work.
- The hardest part of the day was completing high numbers of client pap smears due to the high demand of patient flow.
- The most enjoyable part of my day was to see the results of the young mothers; who gravitated to the positive aspects of the Planned Parent program after my consultation.
Pros
healthcare benifits, adiquate lunch breaks
Awesome Co-workers, Full of potential
Patient Access Representative (Current Employee) –  Los Angeles, CAJanuary 19, 2016
I've learned a lot from PPLA in regards to Family Planning. My Co-workers are phenomenal. However, PPLA has not kept their employees in the know about what has been happening, especially after being on the news for the past few months. PPLA, has lost many employees over the past few months, and I'm no too sure if HQ has noticed the pattern. PPLA, is definitely a good place to start your career to build your resume'. I appreciate all that I've learned and all of the wonderful people I've encountered.
Pros
knowledable company, ability to learn a lot if willing to
Cons
under paid, a lot of employees are unhappy considering the amount of work that is thrown to them
My daily routine
Medical Billing & Payment Poster (Current Employee) –  San Jose, CAJanuary 8, 2014
I have been employed at my employment now 7years my job duties are I handle all payments for all local affiliates (37+ clinics). I am the lead of the department and very well experienced with EFTs, EOB, deductibles, coinsurances, excel etc. I also submit all electronic payers (about 1million+ a day). Payers I work with are Manage Care, Medical/Family Pact, Private insurance, Medicare etc. Once of the difficult part about my job is if my job is when we get discrepancies in our system which causes back log but most of the time we are approved OT to get caught back up. The most thing I can say I enjoy about my job is I am confidant on what I do and very well organized.
eye opening
Medical Assistant Externship (Former Employee) –  INJanuary 8, 2013
A typical day at work would include intake of the patients and making sure they are back in the room within ample time. I learned a lot about privacy practices and laws concerning personal information, whether held over the phone or in a file. My management was very down to earth. My co-workers were full of enthusiasm and punctuality. The hardest part of the job was feeling of empathy for the young women and how scared they were when they got upseting test results. I always wanted to lift there spirits. The most enjoyable part of my job is when the patients showed gratitude for the knowledge they became aware of after there visit.
Pros
my co-workers
Fun work place,mildly stressful
Health Educator (Current Employee) –  New York, NYApril 22, 2014
A normal day at work consists of answering texts and chat via an online forum. I have learned a lot about reproductive health. The management is accessible, however agents can make their own schedules, and work unsupervised. My coworkers include other agents and our quality assurance monitors. The most challenging part of the job can be chatters who have a political or religious agenda when they log into our chat service, who do not need any medical advice. The most enjoyable part of my job is helping people who are genuinely worried about their health.
Pros
helping and teaching our clients
Cons
there does not seem to be any upward mobility.
Productive workplace with passionate staff
Contact Center Representative (Former Employee) –  Tacoma, WashingtonApril 17, 2014
The PPGNW Contact Center is small, and while some days the sheer volume of calls may be a bit overwhelming, ultimately it's worth the sometimes frantic pace to work with a team of passionate people, helping folks meet their reproductive healthcare needs. Management is attentive, and at this position one certainly learns to multitask, as well as to communicate effectively with a range of people from multiple states and diverse backgrounds. Ultimately, working here was a very educational and rewarding experience.
Pros
interact with many interesting people
Cons
little to no opportunity for adcanvcement
Rewarding and Educational Experience
Outreach Ed Spc/Child Victim Advocate (Former Employee) –  Rochester, NYJuly 10, 2014
What I truly appreciate is that my day was anything but typical in this position. I learned to grow and develop professionally, while building lasting relationships with professionals that I provided my services to. A rewarding aspect was my exposure to the many facets of a differential day, from teaching in a classroom, or residential facility to a community event, while having the opportunity of empowering individuals to make healthy and informed decisions regarding their future. I am forever grateful for the trust, relationships developed and the many opportunities that I encountered.
company runs on a shoestring/ don't allow sufficient time to see clients
Clinical Independent Nurse Practitioner (Former Employee) –  Ottawa, ILSeptember 10, 2012
This company runs on a shoestring, and odesn't allow enough time to see the clients (allowing the same amount of time to see a new patient as they allow for a returning patient), They do no allow for obtaining a health history, physical exam, prescribing medication, and diagnosing conditions via microscope. Each visit was given only 15 minutes. I quickly burned out, especially when they cut my hours and expected me to see the same # of patients each week, despite cutting my hours.
Pros
good hours
Cons
poor pay and not allowing sufficient itme to see clients; rushing all the time
Very productive and educational
Medical Assistant (Current Employee) –  St. Louis, MOMay 18, 2012
Working at Planned Parenthood has been a joy. They allowed me to finish school so I would have better chance in advancement. Some days are really hetic and most days are really laid back. Everyone gets along with one other and are willing to help out in any way they could.

The hardest part of my job is the long hours that I have to work and not being appriciated for my work. I love interacting with the patients and learning new things that the job has to offer.

I learned to patient and not rush things, to just work at a fast but steady pace to get the job done in timely manner.
Pros
using electonic health record system(ehr)
Cons
long work hours
Overall I enjoyed my time at Planned Parenthood
Licensed Practical Nurse (Current Employee) –  West Islip, NYJanuary 25, 2015
Planned Parenthood is a fast paced busy center. There's always something to do, from setting rooms up for patients to be seen. To, maintaining lab controls and results.
I've learned how to be part of a team, to be more productive and maintain clinic flow.
I utilize the time in-between patients to follow up on abnormal labs, calling in prescriptions and consulting with clinicians on all aspects.
The hardest part of my job is consoling patients through difficult decisions while still maintaining a professional attitude.
The most enjoyable part of my job is educating young people on safe practices.
expanded experience in billing to include dental billing
Patient Account Specialist (Current Employee) –  Seattle, WAMarch 19, 2014
batches of claims come in from my assigned clinics of dental encounters and Super Bills.
I verify all of the CPT codes are compatible with Diagnosis codes and enter all data into the billing system. If there are any copayments, self pay amounts paid by the patient I apply them to the encounters.
verfied patients for sliding fee scale discounts.
followed up on authorizations for dental procedures.
attended monthly team meeting on procedure up dates and give imput on process improvements.
Pros
co-workers bond and pulling together on assignments
Cons
constant change of management
Don't waste your time
Health Care Assistant/Medical Office Assistant (Former Employee) –  Bucks Co. PaApril 26, 2012
Planned Parenthoods vary according to geographic location. PP of NE PA is not a good place to work. It has taken PP Bucks Co. which used to be a wonderful place to work and provide extraordinary services. Now it is all about $$. The humans involved are immaterial. The attitude held by management is that any one can be replaced immediately for savings to corporate pockets.
A typical day of work is being under staffed. One would act as a birth control dispensary machine and answer non stop phones. One would have to deal with unhappy clients who have waited sometimes upward of one hour for services.

Comment – September 18, 2012

Horrible place to work, and patients wait 2 hours just for a pack of pills! And the phones, wow they are horrible patients get put in to an endless pool. You complain to admin, they could care less! Lining the pockets and no one cares anymore about employees or the mission.

Awesome Healtcare Facitlity
Reproductive Healthcare Assistant (Former Employee) –  Aurora, ILJanuary 3, 2013
• Educated and counseled patients in reproductive health matters
• Maintained medical records and logs
• Answered health center telephones, scheduled patient appointments, and responded to patient inquiries and needs
• Assisted with medical procedures, including preparing the room, providing appropriate instrumentation, and helping patients prepare for the procedure
• Provided information and education to clients concerning the risks and benefits of family planning methods and family planning services
Pros
enjoyed interacting with patient, and co-workers.
Cons
protestors