PLASTIPAK PACKAGING Employee Reviews

Long work shifts and many extra days make it tough for life outside of work
Floor Leader (Former Employee), Westland MIJuly 16, 2015
Pros: lots of opportunity for overtime
Cons: long work shifts and hot working conditions
Typical day spent working machinery to achieve maximum production. I learned a lot about machine maintenance. Management between shifts was inconsistent in following policy and procedure. Coworkers could be tough to work with because many were always tired from working 60-72 hour work weeks. The hardest part of the job was working in the extreme temperatures of 100+ degrees in the summer for 12 hour shifts. The most enjoyable part of the job was when the machines were running well and you had time to actually socialize with your coworkers.
Strong values,ethical behavior throughout. Care about employees.
Plant Manager (Former Employee), Champaign, ILJuly 10, 2015
Pros: Excellent management, support and appropriate compensation.
Cons: The company is not conducive to those not willing to do their job.
Invests in developing its people and providing necessary tools for leadership to grow their direct reports. There is no tolerance for unethical behavior. Communication throughout the levels is encouraged and important to maintain the industry reputation as suppler to Fortune 500 companies.
Production plant work
Process Technician (Former Employee), Garland, TXMay 18, 2015
12 hour shifts working with production machines and other team members to ensure quality products. 3 and 4 day revolving work weeks.
Alright
Forklift Operator (Current Employee), Pineville, LAMay 10, 2015
Pros: it's a job
Cons: Short breaks, Lack of Communication
This place is alright for someone that really needs a job. After taking away middle positions it seemed like there was no moving up in the company. New managements means many new changes, which under normal circumstances I'm fine with, but when it effects the job in the efficiency department, it messes with my head. Wanting me to provide the same output with heavier chains, with the same pay forever?
Productive workplace
Lead Technician (Current Employee), Pineville, LAMarch 5, 2015
Pros: benefits
Cons: no advancement
Benefits are fair. Job security is also well maintained. It is a nice environment to work in. You are able to work inside out of the elements and the work is not very difficult. most machines there are automated.
Process Technician (Former Employee), Atlanta, GAFebruary 18, 2015
Performed mechanical, electrical, and repairs on specific machinery in designated work areas. Monitored and performed necessary setting adjustments, repairs and control systems for safe efficient processing. Also performed quality assurance for customer specifications, in bottle weights outlined on machine specifications and preventive maintenance requirements as outlined on machine specifications and preventative maintenance guidelines.
Great job
Shipping Lead (Former Employee), East Longmeadow, MAJanuary 5, 2015
Pros: flexible schedule
Every day is busy with new challenges. Everyone works together as a team. The best part of the job was sharing my experiences with others and helping them become better. I learned to multi task in a very fast paced manufacturing environment.
If you can live there you're good
Material Handler (Former Employee), Jackson Center, OHDecember 26, 2014
Pros: good money
Cons: lots of ot and they expect more work with less resources
Management tells you what you want to hear just to keep you around. Night shifts in my dept, never had to do their jobs. If they didn't want to do it was up to day shift to pick up the slack. People in that place didn't deserve there management positions. Being there more than home is what to expect. Pay was good but if you weren't a favorite it was rough.
Worst Employer I Have Ever Had
Machine Operator (Former Employee), Westland, MINovember 25, 2014
Pros: there is nothing beneficial about working for plastipak that you can't get from another employer.
Cons: massive work load, improperly maintained equipment, terrible management, awful environment/culture
Want to work for Plastipak? Be prepared to deal with a terrible workplace, expensive health insurance and tons of overtime with no time and a half. I worked 50-74 hours a week nearly every week for Plastipak for Four years. It was the most terrible experience I have ever had from an employer. I would have to write an essay to put all the terrible things about this place into words. You will work long hours, including holidays and weekends. Want to take a holiday off? Vacation is based on seniority, so if somebody with more seniority than you asks for it off, you won't get it. You will be forced to work between 16 and 52 hours of overtime per month (depending on what season it is) and you won't be paid time and a half. You are paid based on salaried non-exempt status so every hour you work for Plastipak will be straight time. The terrible working environment fosters a culture of employees with deplorable attitudes because they all hate their jobs. Much of the equipment at the Westland plant is antiquated so it requires a great deal of maintenance to meet the ridiculous production demands that are scheduled. Unfortunately, the equipment doesn't get the maintenance it needs. This results in operators being forced to deal with problems they aren't trained to handle. Operators are forced to perform their own quality checks AND run machinery as well. This workload proves impossible to keep up with if your machinery is running at an efficiency rate of 30%. If I could give Plastipak a rating of zero stars, I would. I could go on,but I think anybody reading this gets the hint. DO YOURSELF A FAVOR. LOOK FOR WORK ELSEWHERE.
Good Place to work
Technician (Current Employee), IllinoisNovember 25, 2014
Good place to work. Very secure employment for the people that work for Plastipak.
Don't let them fool you!
Marketing Analyst (Former Employee), Plymouth, MINovember 21, 2014
Pros: it's a paycheck until they fire you
Cons: culture, pay, time off, management, lack of innovation, poor work/life balance
I worked at PPK for just under 2 years and it was miserable. The promises made while interviewing weren't kept, there was no training, and the benefits were expensive and not so great. The worst thing was the corporate culture. From top down the company runs on fear and competition leading everyone to play the blame game and shy away from innovation. With a top rate IT department and SAP you would think they are cutting edge but most systems were still very antiquated and nobody wants to change or challenge the status quo. When I was diagnosed with a serious illness the leadership did little to help or accommodate me and instead waited until I had accumulated enough minor infractions for them to let me go without paying unemployment.
Productive,Responsible,Fast-Paced
Line Technician (Current Employee), Medina, OHSeptember 25, 2014
Pros: full-time, medical-dental insurance
Manufacture Pepsi Bottles. Fast-paced production demands. Very team oriented.
Machine tech
Machine tech (Former Employee), Jackson center ohioJuly 21, 2014
Pros: paid good
Cons: unorganized
I worked at plastipak for 5months, right before I was getting ready to get my blue helmet, a raise and my benefits they walked me out saying "I missed too many days." When in reality the only 3 days I missed were because they told me my lines were not running then they turned round and counted it against me walked me out. This job was a good job, paid well, very unorganized, however, it was a big disappointment!
no great leaders to show peoplehow to do things.
Production Technician (Current Employee), Jackson Center, OHJune 5, 2014
Pros: beniftis
Cons: management
low management new people coming in and out everyday. to much over time because people quits everyday. if you don't learn it yourself your not going to learn it.
Very busy work environment
Operator (Former Employee), Mccalla,Al.February 27, 2014
Pros: breaks, days off
Cons: no formal training. you either sink or learn to swim
I worked for this company a total of one week. There is limited training, I was placed with someone who was a temporary employee to train me. The guy was not a good trainer;the very next day I was on my own. Encountered so many maintenance issues that I was forced to resolve on my own. Examples of some issues I had to resolve: Robot suction cups needed replacing had to physically go up and hold cardboard on robot mind you I am a female. Had to push pallets in place or push down conveyors. This isn't a bad place if everyone would do their job and make necessary repairs. Also training should be conducted longer with a qualified, certified trainer.
Not a bad place to work
MACHINE OPERATOR/POLY DEPARTMENT (Former Employee), Westland, MIFebruary 19, 2014
Pros: 401k, health insurance, pay
Cons: repetitive
The people in the plant are pretty easy to get along with most of the time. There are some people that are not so easy to deal with. Most of the management are friendly. The pay is pretty good for the work you are doing. You have to do the same thing over and over again everyday so it gets kind of boring. Nice 401K plan and health insurance.
worst place I ever worked in
tow motor operator (Former Employee), Jackson CenterJanuary 11, 2014
Cons: micro managed everything
I meet some nice people, but the management was awful in shipping and receiving. All they did was point out negatives and came down on you. They never said one encouraging word. They don't listen, communicate, or teach. They should fire the management, then perhaps it would be a better place.
Ok place to work
Process Technician (Current Employee), Medina, OHJanuary 6, 2014
Good company to work for.. Most of management easy to get along with.. Co workers for the most part are all pretty down to earth people...
decent place to work
Mold Shop Technician (Current Employee), Champaign, ILNovember 24, 2013
Pros: nice hours
Cons: pay not great and raises
I have worked here for 16 years and it has been a good job. I have learned alot while being employed here. I have learned about blow molding plastics, welding, machine maintenance, etc.
Productive work place mostly friendly people to workwith
Administrative Assistant (Former Employee), plymouth, Mi.August 19, 2013
Pros: able to work on your own without someone looking over your shoulder.
Cons: not helpful when problems pop up.
Busy work place with something to always kept you busy, working with good people. Learned computer skills I did not have (SAP).. Management not very involved with employees. Not a big help. They did not back you up. Co-workers very helpful and wonderful to work with. The most enjoyable part of the job was working with the other employees and the busy atmosphere. I also enjoyed meeting the guest and customers. The hardest part was how the company did not care about the employees very much.