Plato's Closet Employee Reviews in United States

Laid back and entertaining work environment with great leadership and management.
Social Media and Promotions Manager (Current Employee) –  Reading, PAFebruary 24, 2016
While the job duties are the same day to day, they vary based on customer interaction and store promotions. The leadership and management is consistently great. Managers are easy to talk to and handle delicate situations well. If you do your job well, you will be compensated fairly.
Pros
Free meals every once in a while, snacks constantly provided, laid back atmosphere, ability to voice opinions and put your ideas into action.
Platos Closet
Management assistant/ Key holder (Current Employee) –  Morrow, GAMarch 31, 2016
I enjoy platos closet very much. Anything I do , I take pride in and give my all. The management noticed my potential and promoted me to management assistant . I received a key 8 months into being there. Platos Closet taught me a lot about problem solving and customer service.
Pros
work with schedule
Cons
no benefits
Hard working and fun staff. Great store.
Shift Supervisor (Current Employee) –  Flint, MIMarch 28, 2016
Plato's Closet has been a wonderful experience in helping me to expand my managerial skills. They say that you'll never have a harder job than retail, and while the job can be difficult, the staff and management made it all worth it. I learned to push through difficult moments in order to accomplish tasks and offer the best service available. My co-workers and management have been family, and anyone who enters should be so lucky to feel just at home. The hardest part of the job is working with difficult customers. Plato's Closet gives cash for clothing and accessories, and at times this can lead to emotional or heated situations. The most enjoyable part of the job is the satisfied customers, and the laughs shared throughout every shift with the employees.
Pros
Customer service experience. Developing a sense of humor, and a thick skin.
Cons
Sometimes all of your people skills can't help you and a customer just wants to yell at you.
Great Part-time job
Sales Associate (Current Employee) –  Raleigh, NCFebruary 1, 2016
This job overall is a great job to have. A typical day went great and my co-workers were very helpful when it came to my training. I enjoyed the team as a whole. Everyone was very helpful.
Pros
great co-workers, great enviornment, good raises
Cons
short breaks, not enough hours
Enjoyable but repetitive day
Key Holder (Current Employee) –  Schenectady, NYOctober 25, 2015
My day at Plato's Closet would begin by opening the store, reviewing inventory levels, and looking at the staff to plan the day. Once the customers start to come in I have to address their needs from our business, whether they are looking to purchase clothes or have our staff purchase theirs. Throughout the day we are their to meet the needs of the customers as far as fitting rooms, cleanliness, informing them about sales, adding on items to purchases, and answering questions over the phone. All of these tasks are to be completed daily while we tag, organize, run clothes, as well as maintaining the display of the store through merchandising.
Pros
Flexible availability as far as scheduling with school
Cons
No employee incentives, no salary increases/promotional opportunities
Very Unorganized Business
Team Member (Former Employee) –  Burnsville, MNFebruary 28, 2016
I walked into work and evaluated clothes for purchase, presented quotes to customers of what we could offer them for their clothes, checked out customers, ran clothes to all correct spots on the sales floor, cleaned up sales floor, and performed closing duties. I learned that in order to work efficiently as a team everyone needs to put in an equal amount of work and have motivation to get tasks done. The management was terrible. My boss was never there and when she came into the store after a long period of time without being there she as upset with how things were when she never gave instruction on what to do. She left clueless teenagers alone to run a business for her and complained about the outcome of her business. The co-workers were very unreliable. People would not show up for shifts and I was often left all alone on nights where three people should have been scheduled. The hardest part of the job was cooperating with my boss and the most enjoyable part was getting great deals on designer clothing brands.
Pros
Great deals on clothes
Cons
Bad management
Never Stop Moving
Team Member (Former Employee) –  Henderson, NVApril 26, 2016
From the time you walked into work, there was a million things to do whether that be restocking, picking up the ever messy floor, tagging clothes, buying clothes, making sales, or assisting customers. I learned how to expertly navigate customer service, which was very stressful at that store. The management was never completely on top of scheduling but the people who work there were very relaxed and nice. I would not choose to work there again. I was asked to get on tall ladders and lift 50 pound tubs of jeans. Not to mention, that the customers who shop there are very rude to the employees. The pace was way to much to only be paid minimum wage. The most enjoyable part of the job was expressing your personal style and receiving an employee discount.
Pros
Employee discount, cute clothes, good management, nice co-workers
Cons
Short breaks, little hours, messy store, rude customers
Horrible place to work at for the amount your given
Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Clarksville, INMay 2, 2016
I absolutely hated working at Platos Closet. There was so much drama, the management was horrible, and the co-workers were no better. I barely learned anything beside how to buy stuff from customers but, then again they ended up changed that on me whenever I actually got into the store and started buy stuff from customers.
The co-workers were horrible, and since it was only girls there was so much drama for the amount of money you were getting paid to work there. The management was not any better, they did not really help you out at all.
The security was horrible, almost every day someone stole something from that store and they hardly did anything about it and we could not either or we would get in trouble.
There was no benefits, and the hardest part of the job was keeping up with all the changes that the manager would make on the dime and not tell anyone until the very last minute. The most enjoyable part was getting a discount at Platos Closet.
Pros
discount
Cons
co-workers, management, drama, last minute changes, security
Plenty hours, raises. Poor management, organization.
Buyer (Current Employee) –  Wesley Chapel, FLJune 27, 2016
The day begins by turning on lights and fans. We must complete buys that may have arrived from the night before after accepting hours. We must take out the trash through the back. After, we have to tag bins if any are available. We then proceed to complete incoming buys, tasks, calls, and assist customers. If additional time is given, we redress mannequins, complete Instagram posts/updates/promotions. During closing, we vacuum, dust, edge, wipe windows/doors, clean back room and break room, organize back stock, then wait for cash registers to be fully closed. I learned how to communicate calmly and respectively to a variety of customers, how to express my fashion sense toward all styles of fashion, how to work a cashier, and make customers feel comfortable. The hardest part of the job is working progressively. Many coworkers gossip or ignore customers. Thus, making it harder to work as a team and completing everything in a timely manner. The most enjoyable part of the job is expressing my fashion sense creatively throughout the store and when helping customers.
Pros
Free lunch at times, benefits.
Cons
Disorganization, unprofessionalism.
Plato's Closet
Buyer Certified (Current Employee) –  Lincoln, NEFebruary 15, 2016
A typical day at work for me is viewing clothes and deciding what to take and what to pass on. I also check people out frequently and price tag the clothing. Through out the day i do a walk through to make sure the store is well organized still and everything is picked up from the store. I learn new things everyday, such as different kind of styles, clothing brands, or different way to look at clothes. My management is very well organized and I get along with my boss very well. My co- workers are very out- going, sweet, people to work with. I mostly work with just girls and they are very fun to be around everyday. My Hardest part of my job is when costumers get upset about something in the store or not happy about the quote we gave them about the clothes they were trying to sell for us. I take a lot of things to heart so when i get yelled at it will affect me tell someone talks to me and calms me down and makes me smile. Don't think that means i cant handle responsibility and not know how to handle it because i'm very good with my words. I always try to make the costumers leave happy and getting them to come back. The most enjoyable part of my job is when a costumer or an employer compliments me on how good I'm doing on my job. I love working hard and getting notice from it.
Pros
20% off clothing
Cons
No Healthcare, or Insurance
Good place to work depending on owners.
Assistant Manager (Current Employee) –  State College, PANovember 24, 2015
Awesome, friendly staff and owners. Everyone above me was very kind and helpful, as well as enthusiastic for my advancement. Sometimes long hours and many consecutive shifts (6+), but it was worth it for the people and the good times at work.
Great Staff, Great Job
Associate (Former Employee) –  Chandler, AZJune 3, 2016
It was a super great work environment! There is a great staff, and great store manager. My only complaint was the store owner at the location at which I worked. She was incompetent, in my opinion. However; the store manager would always do her best to do everything she could to help with things the owner was behind on. The days went by fast, and you always get new products coming in. You meet lots of interesting people, and overall I really enjoyed my time there.
Pros
free clothes
Cons
healthcare, hours
Very unorganized place to work
Cashier (Former Employee) –  Avon, INDecember 3, 2015
A typical day at platos was hectic. Everyone including the managers were off task. We would be short money every night and it would stress me out. I worked there for a year and did not get a penny raise.
Pros
25% off everything
Cons
No raises
Retail life
Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Visalia, CAJune 26, 2016
I liked working retail because I felt like I could most express myself here. The atmosphere was always fun and the girls that I worked with were super friendly! The managers were also my favorite ones, since they appreciated and acknowledged every ones work. The hardest part of the job was bringing down large tubs of clothing to put out on the floor. The most enjoyable part of this job was being able to come dressed in my own clothes instead of a uniform.
Great environment for those who love trends!
Manager/Certified Buyer (Current Employee) –  Ann Arbor, MIAugust 27, 2015
Overall, working at Plato's was great. It is a franchise so stores vary dependent on the franchisee. My boss usually promoted from within opposed to hiring outsiders for management and elevated sale positions so mobility was easy. However, the ceiling is very low once you get to the top. Work-life balance as a manager was very difficult, the turnover was tricky and without guidance or better suggestions on hiring in a college town where students are always moving in and out made it difficult to have a fair schedule for myself. Plato's is a little different from other retail jobs you come across at the mall because the idea is to have all employees learn to buy and it isn't the easiest thing to train for as it takes a lot time!

The most enjoyable part was learning and staying on top of trends and seeing how quickly everything switches up. Also, the staff was very close-knit and drama-free so going to work was something to look forward too!
Pros
Flexible scheduling for students
Cons
Short breaks, low ceiling, pay doesn't meet demands
Task-oriented and fast pace workplace
Keyholder/MOD (Former Employee) –  Plano, TXApril 7, 2016
My typical day at work was generally very task-oriented. The job follows a precise, also well advertised buying procedure, everyday you had to make constant decisions that frame the overall outlook of the store. The management were very kind and compromising people. The co-workers were always working well together and to do their best for the store. The hardest part of the job was just the usual occasional unhappy customer. The most enjoyable part of the job was being able to keep up with the "fashion trends" working in retail.
Pros
good breaks
Cons
healthcare
Busy place to work at, sometimes stressful
Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Raleigh, NCApril 16, 2016
Gets very busy most of the time, customers can be rude. On-call hours make it so that you can't do or plan anything for the day because you don't know if you will be working or not. You have to call an hour ahead to see if they will need you. Sometimes you can go in and be there for 20 minutes and they tell you to go home because it all of a sudden got busy. Hours are given in favor of who the manager likes most.
Pros
Sometimes coworkers are fun
Cons
Short breaks, strict on what to wear, what to do, not allowed to talk to others while working, low pay.
Everything (Former Employee) –  Frisco, TXMarch 29, 2016
Best place to work. Management was great and everyone got along. The people who came in werent the most respectful but they made by job easy for me sometimes.
Pros
Discount on clothes
Cons
sometimes you didnt get a break
would work there again if the management was different
Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Bellevue, WAJuly 7, 2016
i like the concept of recycling fashionable clothing in good condition, it helped me to branch out and expand my own closet. i like the fast paced environment but the management was poor and the store had high turnover.
Pros
discounts on clothing, entire array of different colors styles and fashions
Cons
poor management, high turnover, conflicts with schedule that had already been laid out
one of the best environments work wise
Sale's Associate (Former Employee) –  Sanford, FLAugust 5, 2016
Even though Platos Closet isnt as luxurious as some of the other brands I've worked for it has still been up to this day one of my favorite experiences. Each brand / store has their own vibe and even though PC is a resale clothing store, my team was unbelievable. The communication through my boss and other co workers made a days work fly by. Attitude is contagious!
Pros
great team & management
Cons
low pay (9.00)

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Plato's Closet. Our community is ready to answer.

2.8