Playworks Employee Reviews

Fun place to work
Site Coordinator-Somerville Public Schools (Current Employee) –  Boston, MAFebruary 21, 2017
Playworks is a great place to work. If you are in any way interested in working with kids and in a fun work place environment than this is the right place for you.
Pros
fun, rewarding
Cons
job security year to year, salary is low
Fun and involves a high level of energy and great attitude!
Implemented the Junior Coach Leadership Program (Former Employee) –  Raleigh, NCSeptember 8, 2016
Have fun! Make sure that you are prepared, organized and build rapport with the school you work with. Establish routines, respect and expectations early which will make the experience easier.
Pros
Dress comfortably, meet lots of people, you work with an entire school so you're able to engage all the children
Cons
Short breaks, change in weather
Productive and fun way to engage school aged children in games.
Program Coordinator (Current Employee) –  Atlanta, GAMay 17, 2016
At my site I supervised a total of 350+ school aged students in grades K-5 during their recess time. I also worked with each individual class to promote better behavior in the classroom and community through the power of play.
Pros
Education Award
Cons
Salary isn't the best since we're only paid for 10 months.
Greatest Job I've ever had
Program Coordinator (Former Employee) –  Salt Lake City, UTApril 6, 2016
Seriously. I loved working for Playworks. They do everything right. They have great benefits (very affordable!) and are always trying to help people work their way up to whatever it is they want to do in life. Very great work environment. Get ready for fun.
Great Nonprofit
Program Director (Current Employee) –  Phoenix, AZFebruary 14, 2016
Playworks is an amazing place to work. The mission and culture are enough to keep you involved for years. Even those who leave end up returning because of the people and work being done. I highly recommend working there if offered an opportunity.
Playworks is a great place to work.
Program Coordinator (Current Employee) –  San Francisco, CAMarch 2, 2016
Playworks is a great company to work for. It has a good benefits package and they support their employees. The job is physically active and promotes kids to be physically active as well.
Pros
physically active and outdoors.
Cons
Exhausting and requires high energy at all times
fun experience
Volunteer Work (Former Employee) –  Denver, COJune 24, 2016
I volunteered at playworks. It was a positive experience playing wityh the kids. It really tested my patience, especially since i was volunteering and not getting paid. All and all. I learned allot about myself.
Play can change the world
Program Coordinator (Current Employee) –  CaliforniaMarch 8, 2016
Playworks is creating a movement through play. Culture shifts through safe fun and inclusive healthy play. Playworks is leading the way!
Enhancing the lives of children through relationships and physical activity.
Program Coordinator (Current Employee) –  Portland, ORMay 7, 2014
Great company to work for, especially if you're considering a career in education. A typical day includes lesson planning, teaching classes, collaborating with school staff to ensure that the needs of every child are being met.
Pros
Great work environment, Lots of support from Managers.
Cons
Compensation
Great Kids, Awful Staff
Coach (Former Employee) –  WisconsinSeptember 5, 2015
While I enjoyed the concept of teaching children and benefitting their lives, the management and behind the scenes part of Playworks is shady. They will only promote those who "kiss up" and try to use your love of helping kids to ensure multiple years of Americorp employment for little pay. Management will say one thing and do another. While I loved working with kids, the Playworks management and staff work environment was too horrendous to handle.
Pros
Teaching children
Cons
Awful pay, Bad Management, deceitful
Very fun workplace!
Teacher's Assistant (Former Employee) –  Prior Lake, MNJune 3, 2015
• Assist children and their families.
• Give guests tokens and redeem prizes.
• Assist and help with art activities, interactive play and learning games that we provide.
• Maintain a safe play environment.
• Observe and monitor children's play activities.
• Communicate with children's parents or guardians about daily activities, behaviors, and related issues.
• Sanitize toys and play equipment.
• Support children's emotional and social development, encouraging understanding of others and positive self-concepts.
• Assist in preparing food and serving meals and refreshments to children.
• Instruct children in health and personal habits, such as eating, resting, and toilet habits.
• Discipline children and recommend or initiate other measures to control behaviors.
• Organize and store toys and materials to ensure order in activity areas.

Loved the management team, my co-workers were the absolute best co-workers I could have asked for and made each working day a blast! The most enjoyable part of my job was being able to work and be around kids while still having fun.
Great place to work and grow
Program Cooridinator (Current Employee) –  Brooklyn, NYMarch 28, 2016
long work hours
teaches you how to be a self starter and the importance of rapport building
managment is amazing
you don't see your co-workers very often
the hardest part of the job is communicating with the children.
Productive and fun enviornment
Program Coordinator (Current Employee) –  Durham, NCDecember 6, 2013
My current job is a fast paced, fun and interactive position with staff and students. Freedom to create and organize weekyl and monthly lesson plans and calendars. Occasional visits and evaluation from management. Monthly and weekly staff trainings and professional developement trainings. The hardest part would be that this position is an outdoor job which means that it is generally wether permitting and I have to be very flexible and change my plans to move indoors if necessary. I enjoy the enviorment and the staff that I work with.
Inclusive, fun and not your typical job
Program Coordinator (Current Employee) –  Salt Lake cityMay 28, 2013
Playworks is a great organization to work for if you want a job that will keep you moving. You get a chance to change lives through the power of game play. It is awesome and tiring at the same time this job takes a lot of energy.
Pros
Very playful environment, great job training, leadership management style, goal oriented feedback
Cons
Very tiring job, does not pay very well for all the work that is done
Rewarding community service Position
Program Coordinator (Current Employee) –  Salt Lake City, UTAugust 3, 2015
Working for Playworks was a great experience, connecting with the community helping children in need. The management and corporate values are fun safe and inspiring. This is a great job for recent gradates looking to make a difference in needy children.
Great NonProfit
Program Coordinator (Former Employee) –  Houston, TXAugust 4, 2015
An amazing place to work for someone interested in a career with kids. Lots of great opportunities to impact the lives of people.
Pros
Lots of fun
Cons
Not a lot of money
Making play fun
Program Coordinator (Current Employee) –  Denver, COJanuary 5, 2016
I have learned a great deal especially when it comes to making play for youth fun and not simply instruction. It is great understanding how to make instructional info more accessible to youth and then they are both engaged and enjoying our time together.
Fun and Safe work place
Program Coordinator (Current Employee) –  Brooklyn, NYSeptember 4, 2014
Playworks is one of the best place I know. my first day felt as if I knew everyone my whole life. The culture that the leadership create at play works is one that makes everyone feel like a family. I was in a safe place, no competition.
Playful Play
Program Coordinator (Current Employee) –  Houston, TXApril 2, 2014
A typical work day will begin with before school recess at 7:00 and ends at 7:45, then I have a few classes come outside to play in 30 minute increments. Next I will have recess from 11:00 am til 1:15 pm in 25 minute increments per class. Finally my day will end with one more class game time at 2:00pm til 2:30. The hardest part of my job is being prepared for the weather because I am outdoors a lot there are days when the rain can cause the playground to be shut down or cancel certain games that need large spaces. I am the only employee from my company that works at the elementary school that I am located but we are all outstanding individuals. I would have to say that the most enjoyable part of the job and playing with kids and seeing them have endless fun.
Pros
enjoying the play with children
Cons
early mornings, and outside during hot conditions
Playworks
Program Coordinator (Current Employee) –  Houston, TXSeptember 19, 2014
Creating a safe and inclusive recess yard and be a significant presence in and out of an elementary school setting by organizing and playing games with 100+ students. Encourage safe, healthy play and positive conflict resolution through role modeling and active participation. Plan and implement activities to meet the physical, emotional, intellectual and social needs of the children in the program as well as develop different leadership opportunities within the program for the students.
Hardest part is working in Houston heat. The most rewarding part is getting children more active.
Pros
physical fitness for low income youths
Cons
no teacher support, poor supervisor skills

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Playworks. Our community is ready to answer.

4.4