Plow & Hearth Employee Reviews in United States

A nice atomosphere, with wonderful coworkers; taken over by a very unqualified manager
Sales Associate-promoted to Floor Supervisor (Former Employee) –  Raleigh, NCJanuary 5, 2016
At the beginning this job made me excited to come to work. I loved my coworkers and the over all environment. When we lost our manager we were replaced by one whose family member that works in the corporate office. New manager was immature, talked about stealing and other uncomfortable things that made this job become less of an enjoyable place and became a place all employees felt uncomfortable. I loved the learning experience but the new management made it virtually impossible to enjoy my job again. I stuck it out over 4 months under new management until it became no longer worth it.
Pros
staff was like family and very respectful, I enjoyed the freedom to set up visula displays
Cons
We went under new management, with in three moths of him being there four people quit that have been there 3 to 9 years, the company has little or not incentives, like a 10cent raise once a year-hard work is not rewarded
Fun Workplace, Fast paced and easy to get into..
Customer Service Representative (Former Employee) –  Madison, VAOctober 26, 2015
I loved working there, it was a great work environment and the people were very easy to get along with, the training was very in depth and when I hit the floor I knew everything I needed to know to do my job.
Not a good place to work
Retail Supervisor (Former Employee) –  Salem, NCOctober 20, 2015
While working there I found it to be that there was too much favoritism, and not enough emphasis placed on experience. The products are cheaply made, and do not hold up very well under harsh weather conditions.
Pros
Coveinant hours
Cons
too much favoritism
Great place to work!
Customer Service (Former Employee) –  Madison, VAAugust 16, 2015
A typical day at work would be answering phones and taking orders. Sometimes it would mean diffusing angry customers. I've learned that sometimes, being nice won't always get the results that is needed to diffuse an angry customer. Managers were readily available when there were issues with customers and would help to diffuse the situation. Co-workers were mostly friendly and helpful. The hardest part of the job the allotted time frame to get customer's on and off the phone with a sell or offering promoted deals. The most enjoyable part of the job was helping a satisfied customer.
busy
Gift Advisor (Former Employee) –  Madison, VAJuly 20, 2015
call center placing orders/ customer service problems
I like my manager very much
the hardest part of this job a lot of calls on holidays
help make customers special
Productive and work friendly
Warehouse Worker (Current Employee) –  Madison, VAJuly 10, 2015
Excepet for when I was working two jobs and the supervisor was giving me a hard time because I would come in a few minutes late almost everyday.
Multi-channel retailer within a growing family of sister brands
Inventory Control Buyer (Former Employee) –  Madison, VAMay 18, 2015
The company went through several ownerships throughout my tenure and though it entailed many changes, it also opened up new opportunities for Plow & Hearth.

Working with an increasing large supplier base from overseas in a very fast paced environment, I learned how to better prioritize and act quickly. The hardest part of the job was to constantly explore new opportunities while delivering excellence with the day-to-day business, knowing we cannot do both because we lack resources.

The most enjoyable aspect of the work was to work with a very large pool of talented associates coming from various background and geographical areas.

We had some turnover on the upper-management team, but overall the company has a lot of committed managers.
Pros
Lots of opportunities to get engaged with the local community and meet peers from other departments
Had a great store manager and employees were team players.
Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Chester, NJMarch 19, 2015
Our store manager was very easy to work with--he was very clear in his directions, complimentary in our work, encouraging in making our personal goals for sales, and very understanding about family matters. The employees were team players--were willing to help each other out at work and to cover for each other's shifts when necessary (employee sick or unexpected family death, etc).
Pros
employee discount, flexible hours
Cons
working evenings and holidays
Great IT team to work with
Help Desk Support (Former Employee) –  Madison, VADecember 9, 2014
Learned a great deal here. Great team of coworkers. Got experience in new applications and with new equipment. Had fun with all coworkers, not just those in my department.
Pros
great people
Cons
had to leave
great place to work
CUSTOMER SERVICE REP/ACCOUNTS RECEIVABLE CLERK (Current Employee) –  Madison VAAugust 30, 2014
accounts receivable, daily reports account reconciliations. learned something new everyday
Great place to work.
Customer Service Representative and HR Assistant (Current Employee) –  Madison, VAAugust 27, 2014
People are friendly and it is a great company. The employees here have been here for years. It is one position and no room for advancement but it is an amazing atmosphere.
Seasonal Position
Seasonal Customer Service Representative (Former Employee) –  Madison, VaJuly 23, 2014
Not everyone takes having a job as serious as some. Not for serious employees but those who want a seasonal job without a chance of advancement.
Love talking to the customers
SALES ASSOCIATE (Former Employee) –  Madison, VAMay 15, 2014
I really enjoyed talking to the customers when placing their orders.
Pros
working at the corporate office and seeing the product first hand.
Cons
having to take orders for 5 different catalogs and a flower company.
Great for entry level work
Product Information and Services Assistant (Former Employee) –  Madison, VAMay 9, 2014
Face paced environment. Great place to learn customer service skills.
Friendly and professional atsmophere
Customer Service Representative (Former Employee) –  Madison, VAMarch 19, 2014
This company allowed for many temporary positions with a slim chance of permanent positions available.
like a family
Customer Service (Former Employee) –  Madison, vaFebruary 7, 2014
this is an amazing environment to work within, very much a family environment. the upper management cares about employee feedback. The traiing process is very educatinal
not a professional work environment
Inventory Control Specialist (Former Employee) –  Dayton, OHJanuary 14, 2014
Fast paced work with many different tasks, which I enjoyed because I prefer to keep busy. Management lacked a lot, not professional, allowed certain employees to slack and very rarely did management do what was in their job description.
Pros
lots of overtime
Cons
seasonal
Need Increased Sales For More Employee Hours/Understaffing Makes That Difficult.
Retail Employee (Current Employee) –  Retail StoreJanuary 13, 2014
Because the number of hours allotted for the weekly schedule is based on what the store earns in sales we are always understaffed. It's very difficult to complete projects and/or process shipments in a specified amount of time when we also need to help customers and ring up sales. Multi-tasking is fine, but sometimes employees become overwhelmed and customers then become frustrated. Sometimes understaffing, in the evenings, also makes it difficult to complete store recovery, and cleaning, in the allotted time, if the store is busy with customers.

1) Someone from the company needs to come and spend several days, if not a week, at the store to see how things really work on a day to day basis. Maybe they could disguise themselves and come in as a new employee.

2) There needs to be more employees scheduled on any given day and there should be at least two employees designated to unload and process shipments in the stockroom, not in the store or behind the service counter.
Pros
enjoy interacting with and helping the customers.
Cons
understaffing makes it difficult to help customers and complete daily tasks.

Comment – July 22, 2014

Store is understaffed because the manager is given so few hours for each weekly schedule that part time employees only get between 8 and 10 hours a week. In order have enough coverage employees should be getting 15 to 20 hours.

Productive, Hectic Work Enviroment
Sales & Services Specialist (Former Employee) –  Madison, VANovember 13, 2013
A typical day at work would include taking approx. 100 sales calls for 3 catalog companies & possibly the same amout of Customer Service calls. I learned to be very patient & time managment. Managment was always willing to help with any problems, if any & my co-workers for the most part were pretty friendly. The hardest part of the job was taking back to back calls for hours during the busy parts of the season. The most enjoyable part of my day was my break times. Actually being able to take a breather and think clearly.
Pros
okay hours, overtime
Cons
short breaks, no benefits, seasonal
Loved working with kids
Customer Service and Sales Rep. Processed (Former Employee) –  Madison, VAJuly 5, 2013
The job overall was great and some of my co-workers but the management wasn't that great

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Plow & Hearth. Our community is ready to answer.