Plow & Hearth Employee Reviews

On some days they give massages and have treats for their workers
Customer Service Representative (Former Employee) –  Madison, VAMay 23, 2017
Typical work day at Plow & Hearth is taking and solving customers orders. You have some good customers and bad customers. The thing I learned when I were at Plow & and Hearth is patience and listening to customer complaints and the way to solve their problem. The management was great because if the representative tried to solve a customer complaint and they still what to speak to management they will step right in and help. The hardest part about Plow & Hearth is that sometimes it can be a little stressful when you try to explain what happen to their order and and customers don't want to hear what you have to say to get their order straighten out. The most enjoyable is you don't know what type of customers you are going to talk to that day.
Forklift Operator and Material Handler (Current Employee) –  Vandalia, OHMarch 15, 2017
Nice people, good hours and they stayed busy while I was there. Stinks they only hire on for seasonal and not direct hire yjay often. Really would have liked to keep the job.
good job
Warehouse Associate (Former Employee) –  Madison County, VAFebruary 20, 2017
Good job but really long hours, fast pace and management is a little unorganized one person would say one thing then another would come by and say something else.
Pros
a lot of hours = good paychecks
Cons
management is frustrating
Customer Service Representative (Former Employee) –  Madison, VAFebruary 3, 2017
I was a seasonal employee. The hardest part was learning the data system during the busiest time of the year. The most enjoyable part of the job was making a customer's day, rather it was being able to taking care of order problem or just cheering the customer up. Some of the management were understanding when needing help.
Pros
Paycheck
Cons
no benefits for temp workers
Great place to work.
Customer Service Representative/Call Center (Former Employee) –  Madison, VAJanuary 23, 2017
Great place to work. Enjoyed helping customers place their orders as well as trouble shoot any problems they had in receiving merchandise or handling returns/refunds. Highly recommend for employment.
Pros
Nice people
Cons
Seasonal work
Great Workplace
CUSTOMER SERVICE REPRESENTATIVE (Former Employee) –  Madison, VADecember 20, 2016
The hardest part of the job is when you get the unsatisfied customers. some customers demand much more attention than others. But solving their problem makes it all worthwile
You are never bored and are always talking on the phone .
Sales Representative (Former Employee) –  Madison, VANovember 17, 2016
If you like talking to people , this is for sure the job for you . You are always taking to a customer on the phone and having great conversation .
Pros
The pay is decent
good
Quality Assurance Manager (Former Employee) –  Madison, VANovember 5, 2016
I do not think you should require past employees to review their previous jobs. This is silly and not fair to your new clients.
Call Center Representative (Former Employee) –  Madison, VASeptember 29, 2016
Answering phone calls, taking orders over the phone, working in the Plow And Hearth program, great place to work for every one is nice, but you might get a rude customer closer to Christmas, because they waited until the last second to order merchandise, and expect it Christmas Day, but ordered it 3 days before
Pros
Break, will work with you
Cons
Temp
Nice Coworkers, Hard Customers
Seasonal Call Center Representative (Former Employee) –  Madison, VASeptember 28, 2016
I worked seasonal full time with Plow & Hearth, and they certainly worked me hard. Days consisted of me sitting in the same cubicle for long hours, usually either placing orders or dealing with upset customers who have issues with their orders. We were trained for a week before being placed on the floor, and in my honest opinion the training was not nearly sufficient enough Still though, I learned the ropes quick enough and my coworkers were very understanding and helpful if I had any qualms. The hardest part of the position was probably having to handle and diffuse angry customers, but the most enjoyable aspects were probably the friendly environment and engaging aspects to the position (raffles, commission, etc).
Pros
Decent pay for seasonal, nice coworkers, comfortable environment
Cons
If full time the hours drag on, sitting in one place for extended hours, customer service
Great Culture. Supportive. Encouraging. Enjoy my job - love my co-workers!
Store Manager (Current Employee) –  Charlottesville, VAAugust 7, 2016
I took over this position with an experienced staff and a very supportive upper management. I continue to learn and grow and really respect and admire management and my staff. The company has a lot of great ideas and, even in this trying time for retail, is in an expansion mode. I believe that their continued success will hinge on how they navigate the constantly changing landscape that is retail. Work/Life balance and compensation for hours required can make the work stressful, but -hey - that's retail.
Pros
The culture & the people. Great benefits.
Cons
Work/Life balance.
Fast paced work environment
Line Production Worker (Former Employee) –  Madison, VAJuly 30, 2016
Goal oriented team based facility. Daily and weekly goals as well as safety goals yearly.
Learned how to be a true team player putting the team before myself.
Most enjoyable part would have to be the fast pace of the job and staying busy.
fun and relaxing place to work
Customer Service & Sales (Former Employee) –  Madison County, VAJuly 11, 2016
very laid back place to work and the customers were very nice and very appreciative that their problems were addressed immediately
Pros
casual
Cons
no advancement only seasonal
A nice atomosphere, with wonderful coworkers; taken over by a very unqualified manager
Sales Associate-promoted to Floor Supervisor (Former Employee) –  Raleigh, NCJanuary 5, 2016
At the beginning this job made me excited to come to work. I loved my coworkers and the over all environment. When we lost our manager we were replaced by one whose family member that works in the corporate office. New manager was immature, talked about stealing and other uncomfortable things that made this job become less of an enjoyable place and became a place all employees felt uncomfortable. I loved the learning experience but the new management made it virtually impossible to enjoy my job again. I stuck it out over 4 months under new management until it became no longer worth it.
Pros
staff was like family and very respectful, I enjoyed the freedom to set up visula displays
Cons
We went under new management, with in three moths of him being there four people quit that have been there 3 to 9 years, the company has little or not incentives, like a 10cent raise once a year-hard work is not rewarded
Fun Workplace, Fast paced and easy to get into..
Customer Service Representative (Former Employee) –  Madison, VAOctober 26, 2015
I loved working there, it was a great work environment and the people were very easy to get along with, the training was very in depth and when I hit the floor I knew everything I needed to know to do my job.
Not a good place to work
Retail Supervisor (Former Employee) –  Salem, NCOctober 20, 2015
While working there I found it to be that there was too much favoritism, and not enough emphasis placed on experience. The products are cheaply made, and do not hold up very well under harsh weather conditions.
Pros
Coveinant hours
Cons
too much favoritism
Great place to work!
Customer Service (Former Employee) –  Madison, VAAugust 16, 2015
A typical day at work would be answering phones and taking orders. Sometimes it would mean diffusing angry customers. I've learned that sometimes, being nice won't always get the results that is needed to diffuse an angry customer. Managers were readily available when there were issues with customers and would help to diffuse the situation. Co-workers were mostly friendly and helpful. The hardest part of the job the allotted time frame to get customer's on and off the phone with a sell or offering promoted deals. The most enjoyable part of the job was helping a satisfied customer.
busy
Gift Advisor (Former Employee) –  Madison, VAJuly 20, 2015
call center placing orders/ customer service problems
I like my manager very much
the hardest part of this job a lot of calls on holidays
help make customers special
Productive and work friendly
Warehouse Worker (Current Employee) –  Madison, VAJuly 10, 2015
Excepet for when I was working two jobs and the supervisor was giving me a hard time because I would come in a few minutes late almost everyday.
Multi-channel retailer within a growing family of sister brands
Inventory Control Buyer (Former Employee) –  Madison, VAMay 18, 2015
The company went through several ownerships throughout my tenure and though it entailed many changes, it also opened up new opportunities for Plow & Hearth.

Working with an increasing large supplier base from overseas in a very fast paced environment, I learned how to better prioritize and act quickly. The hardest part of the job was to constantly explore new opportunities while delivering excellence with the day-to-day business, knowing we cannot do both because we lack resources.

The most enjoyable aspect of the work was to work with a very large pool of talented associates coming from various background and geographical areas.

We had some turnover on the upper-management team, but overall the company has a lot of committed managers.
Pros
Lots of opportunities to get engaged with the local community and meet peers from other departments

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Plow & Hearth. Our community is ready to answer.