Plow & Hearth

Plow & Hearth Employer Reviews

Great place to work.
Customer Service Representative and HR Assistant (Current Employee), Madison, VAAugust 27, 2014
People are friendly and it is a great company. The employees here have been here for years. It is one position and no room for advancement but it is an amazing atmosphere.
Seasonal Position
Seasonal Customer Service Representative (Former Employee), Madison, VaJuly 23, 2014
Not everyone takes having a job as serious as some. Not for serious employees but those who want a seasonal job without a chance of advancement.
Love talking to the customers
SALES ASSOCIATE (Former Employee), Madison, VAMay 15, 2014
Pros: working at the corporate office and seeing the product first hand.
Cons: having to take orders for 5 different catalogs and a flower company.
I really enjoyed talking to the customers when placing their orders.
Great for entry level work
Product Information and Services Assistant (Former Employee), Madison, VAMay 9, 2014
Face paced environment. Great place to learn customer service skills.
Friendly and professional atsmophere
Customer Service Representative (Former Employee), Madison, VAMarch 19, 2014
This company allowed for many temporary positions with a slim chance of permanent positions available.
like a family
Customer Service (Former Employee), Madison, vaFebruary 7, 2014
this is an amazing environment to work within, very much a family environment. the upper management cares about employee feedback. The traiing process is very educatinal
not a professional work environment
Inventory Control Specialist (Former Employee), Dayton, OHJanuary 14, 2014
Pros: lots of overtime
Cons: seasonal
Fast paced work with many different tasks, which I enjoyed because I prefer to keep busy. Management lacked a lot, not professional, allowed certain employees to slack and very rarely did management do what was in their job description.
Need Increased Sales For More Employee Hours/Understaffing Makes That Difficult.
Retail Employee (Current Employee), Retail StoreJanuary 13, 2014
Pros: enjoy interacting with and helping the customers.
Cons: understaffing makes it difficult to help customers and complete daily tasks.
Because the number of hours allotted for the weekly schedule is based on what the store earns in sales we are always understaffed. It's very difficult to complete projects and/or process shipments in a specified amount of time when we also need to help customers and ring up sales. Multi-tasking is fine, but sometimes employees become overwhelmed and – more... customers then become frustrated. Sometimes understaffing, in the evenings, also makes it difficult to complete store recovery, and cleaning, in the allotted time, if the store is busy with customers.

1) Someone from the company needs to come and spend several days, if not a week, at the store to see how things really work on a day to day basis. Maybe they could disguise themselves and come in as a new employee.

2) There needs to be more employees scheduled on any given day and there should be at least two employees designated to unload and process shipments in the stockroom, not in the store or behind the service counter. – less

July 22, 2014

Store is understaffed because the manager is given so few hours for each weekly schedule that part time employees only get between 8 and 10 hours a week. In order have enough coverage employees should be getting 15 to 20 hours.

Productive, Hectic Work Enviroment
Sales & Services Specialist (Former Employee), Madison, VANovember 13, 2013
Pros: okay hours, overtime
Cons: short breaks, no benefits, seasonal
A typical day at work would include taking approx. 100 sales calls for 3 catalog companies & possibly the same amout of Customer Service calls. I learned to be very patient & time managment. Managment was always willing to help with any problems, if any & my co-workers for the most part were pretty friendly. The hardest part of the job was taking back – more... to back calls for hours during the busy parts of the season. The most enjoyable part of my day was my break times. Actually being able to take a breather and think clearly. – less
Loved working with kids
Customer Service and Sales Rep. Processed (Former Employee), Madison, VAJuly 5, 2013
The job overall was great and some of my co-workers but the management wasn't that great
Family Focused Company
Sales Associate (Seasonal) (Former Employee), Madison, VAMay 15, 2013
Plow & Hearth has a great atmosphere of down to earth people and family environment. Great team work, delegation from management and coworkers.
Great experience
Sales associate/ Store set ups ect. (Current Employee), Madison, VAApril 2, 2013
Being on the set up team was very adventurous as we traveled abroad opening new stores and watching our new employees grow.
Being around our Director, District Managers, and Store managers gave me a birds eye perspective on on how to lead a team to sucess! I also got the oppurtunity to see how a company operates from the warehouse to the finish line! – more... Even learned a lot about the mail-order/ catalogue side of the company. I have grown in so many ways since being a part of the Plow team! – less
fun
Warehouse Associate (Former Employee), Madison, VAJanuary 29, 2013
Pros: close to home
Cons: only seasonal
pull orders according to tickets,how to pull orders in accordance w/orders..fork lift experience.really enjoyed working w/co-workers
Great Seasonal Job
Seasonal Customer Service Rep (Former Employee), Madison, VAJanuary 28, 2013
Working at Plow and Hearth was different, fun, and exciting. The workload was not hard and the managers were very good at there jobs and just really cool down to earth people. Because most of the seasonal workers were new, they were very patient and it was a really good atmosphere. The only thing I did not care for was they did not give you a date in – more... which your season would end. So every week after Christmas, I was very nervous to look at the schedule for the next week, if you were lucky enough to get a schedule. I would have preferred a date in which my season would end instead of looking at the schedule if I was scheduled to work or not. – less
great job
??? (Former Employee), Madison, VADecember 6, 2012
Pros: they feed us for overtime
i loved working at plow&hearth. they'er were great people and great hours cannot complain
Amazing place to work
Sales Associate (Current Employee), VASeptember 26, 2012
Pros: co-workers are great
Cons: hours
Every customer that comes in needs to be greeted. Depending how busy you are is to what you will do. Usually i'm putting some type of furniture together which doesn't bother me. I never putted so much furniture together before and it is quite easy not since this job. The management is really nice and easy to work with. All the co-workers are fun to – more... work with when you get to work with them. The hardest part of the job is trying to remember everything and learning it to begin with. I just like being around the people that come in the store and my co-workers. Also when they ask me to put something together i'm right on that because I love doing that. – less
VERY BUSY AND PRODUCTIVE CATALOG AND FLOWER COMPANY
PHONES SALES (Former Employee), Madison, VAAugust 13, 2012
Pros: free lunches and dinners. new vendors would bring in thier product for tasteing, this way we could acyually tell the customer how it was. you were compensated for learning more.
Cons: long hours away from your family during busy season.
I ENJOYED WORKING WITH THIS ONLINE CATALOG COMPANY. IT WAS A NEW EXPIERENCE. AS NEW PRODUCTS CAME OUT, WE HAD A SMALL TRAINING MEETING TO LEARN ABOUT THEM, SO WHEN CUSTOMERS CALLED, WE COULD EXPLAIN ANY QUESTIONS THEY HAD.
DURING BUSY SEASON AT THE HOLIDAYS, WE WORKED 12 TO 14 HOUR DAYS, BUT THEY PROVIDED LUNCH AND DINNER AND ALLOWED US TO STAY IN TOUCH – more... WITH OUR KIDS.
YOU LEARNED ALSO HOW TO WORK WITH MANY DIVERSE PEOPLE. WE ALSO FORMED FRIENDSHIPS AND FAMILY LIKE CLOSENESS. THE BENEFITS WERE GOOD AND AS YOU LEARNED MORE YOUR PAY WAS COMPENSATED.
THERE WAS ALWAYS SOMEONE THERE TO HELP AND GUIDE YOU, FROM MANAGEMENT DOWN TO THE PERSON NEXT TO YOU. – less
I can't say enough good things about working there, I really liked it
Stocker (Former Employee), Madison, VAJune 20, 2012
Pros: great place to work
Cons: no family members could work there
We were kept really busy which I liked because I can't stand to stand around. I packaged stereo equipment, processed it for shippment, loaded and unloaded trucks. I helped stock and new exactly what we had in stock and where to locate it. No hard parts to my job. I got along great with my co-workers.

August 16, 2012

Curious as to why person no longer works there. Found better job? Did store close?

Great Call Center
Customer Service Rep (Former Employee), Madison, VAMarch 23, 2012
Pros: could eat and drink at your desk
Cons: not long enough breaks
I loved working at Plow and Hearth in Madison VA. I liked that you had a work station, just wish it was the same one everyday you came to work.

About Plow & Hearth

Plow & Hearth is a national catalog, retail, and internet company specializing in "Products for Country Living." – Read more