Plum Market Employee Reviews

fun working with people
Cashier and cashier assistant (Former Employee) –  Chicago, ILDecember 28, 2016
Working at plum market was such great experience working.But sometimes some team lead was such rude and the way they spoke with co-workers was very wrong and they didn't have no respect. Other then that i really liked working there. I was always being friend with guest and I loved them too
Productive and enjoyable
Cashier (Former Employee) –  West Bloomfield Township, MIDecember 6, 2016
A typical work was punching in, and counting my drawer. Settling into a register and greeting customers. The management was alright. I hate the way they went about things at the end of my employment. I loved my co-workers. We all got along. I still keep in contact with them. The hardest part of the job was getting rude customers. But I always managed to deal with them appropriately. I even tried to make some of them smile. The most enjoyable part was my co-workers, and regular customers. I enjoyed new ones as well.
Pros
Discounts
Cons
On feet for 7 hours a day
It's a free-for-all
Front End (Former Employee) –  West Bloomfield Township, MIOctober 2, 2016
Just another leader-less company where the owners are too good to even make eye-contact with you. Just do the bare minimum and they'll be too afraid to try any form of discipline....
Also too cheap to throw in a little holiday pay and EVERYONE hates that one.
Still, if you need a paycheck while you're looking for a job with a company that isn't in a slow and steady decline, this will do for a little while.
Pros
You can get away with anything
Cons
Everyone knows they can get away with anything
Advancement opportunities and friendly co-workers
Team Leader (Current Employee) –  West Bloomfield, MISeptember 19, 2016
I've worked with Plum for over 4 years, I started as an associate and was promoted to team leader after 3 years. My old team leader really recognized how hard I worked and saw my value, always rallied for me to get great raises and time off that I needed. I love my new position, it is very fast paced and I get to be creative. I have a lot on my plate but I love the challenge! I am very passionate about growing my department and want to see Plum succeed. If Plum grows, I grow, we grow. It is family owned, you'll meet the owners and their family. They are always working to grow Plum and expand which means more opportunity for advancement. They always try to promote within first! If you work hard and take pride in what you do, they will notice. Great friendly atmosphere!

I do believe employee benefits and moral can be an area for improvement. This is retail, you will be working a variety of shifts, nights, weekends and holidays. It would be nice to be compensated for working certain holidays. Great discount, 20% and 50% off hot bar for lunch. Earned vacations based on how much you work, I'm up to two paid weeks a year. I believe all members of store leadership try their best to be fair but there is a business to run. It is a fast paced environment, a lot to do, unfavorable hours (everyone wants to work 9-5 and no weekends), exceptional guest service is expected and monitored and they don't want to see you standing around chit chatting. These are not meant to sound as cons, they are reality. This is what having a retail job is! I have been pulled aside many
  more... times to be told I did something well and given a reward. It could be done more but we all get in that mode and forget to stop and tell our fellow team members how much we appreciate them. This can always be improved. Perhaps more can be done in the way of rewards, employee of the month, special recognition etc.

All in all it is a great place to work. They want great workers who care for Plum because they care about their store and only want to see it succeed! Show up on time, be reasonable with your time off requests and work hard and stay focused and you will be rewarded.
Pros
Great discount, friendly staff, advancement opportunities, creative and fun atmosphere
Cons
no paid holidays
Clean, high end product and always something to do.
Grocery Team Member (Former Employee) –  West Bloomfield, MISeptember 19, 2016
Service oriented business that set high expectations but made it clear what was needed. I got to see and taste a ton of really interesting products and meet some good people. I wasn't here long because of school but enjoyed it.
Pros
Great lunch discount, decent starting pay, very interactive culture
Cons
It's a service industry
Good environment, Terrible Management
Cashier (Former Employee) –  Bloomfield Hills, MISeptember 16, 2016
Co-workers are friendly and fun to be around with. Management expects you to do your job perfectly and if you even make the smallest mistake it will be like the end of the world for them and could even cost you your job. I was hired as a cashier and the store manager decided to transfer me to work in the kitchen without even asking me about it... Customers are usually nice, above average grocery store setting, below average management.
Pros
Flexible hours, store discounts, great co-workers
Multitask
Sales Consultant/Barista (Former Employee) –  West Bloomfield, MISeptember 11, 2016
A lot of orders being given back to back! With so many ways to do the orders!! it was amazing!! there were always some kind of daily special as well as we served frozen gluten free yogurt!
Energetic coworkers and great atmosphere!
Caterer (Former Employee) –  West Bloomfield Township, MIJuly 26, 2016
Worked catering and would travel to multiple locations with exceptional pay. Made great friends and loved all the events we were able to complete, especially the locations including a former Red Wing's private home as well as high end expensive stores for private events.
Pros
Great pay
Cons
Inconsistent events
No Job security whatsoever
Meat Cutter (Former Employee) –  Chicago, ILJuly 13, 2016
I worked at Plum for a little over a month with management assuring me that it was a good fit and that things were going smoothly. After settling in and really enjoying my time at work, my coworkers were absolutely wonderful, I was called into the management office and let go because they didn't believe it was a good fit. This absolutely blind sided me as I had been assured it was going well. In addition to that the benefits are no up to snuff. Plum requires employees to work a year before time and a half can be obtained after 40 hours as well as holiday pay. I would not recommend this company to anyone.
Very disappointing
Cook (Former Employee) –  Troy, MIMay 19, 2016
They would rather hire temps than keep good employees. They will not care about you at all. And management will never have your back, no matter how valuable you are.
Pros
Hours
Cons
Mangement
I love working at Plum Market!! Good opportunity, decent pay and great enviroment!
Team Member (Current Employee) –  Ann Arbor, MI (West)May 10, 2016
Plum is a great place to work. Most team members are interested in local, organic, natural and good food in general. I could never work at a conventional grocery store after working here! There is also good opportunities as they are looking to open more locations and try to promote from within.
Fun place to work, with amazing food and people.
Cashier (Former Employee) –  Ann Arbor, MIMarch 12, 2016
I loved working at Plum, I learned so many things about healthy eating, organic fruits and vegetables, as well as local businesses. I liked working with my coworkers, made a lot of good friends and learned a lot from everyone I worked with. When I moved up to the front of the store and cashiered, i loved working even more. I got to handle money and work with customers more often. I also ate some amazing food there, all the zingermans baked goods and fancy pre-made foods.
Pros
Discounts on lunch and general purchases
Cons
No break room
productivity is a must and you cant take breaks. No 15 minute paid break even after
KITCHEN KNIFE HANDELER (Former Employee) –  Chicago, ILJanuary 11, 2016
you have to work sometimes 7 hours in a row before you got your break. if you went to use the washroom and you took too long they would ask why you took so long.
Pros
its a job
Cons
abusive
Great coworkers, awkward management.
Grocery Team Member/Frozen Foods Buyer (Former Employee) –  West Bloomfield Township, MIDecember 22, 2015
Plum was generally a good place to work, but the store manager and grocery manager were difficult to deal with. The work was okay, but my favorite part was interacting with the guests.
Pros
Fun atmosphere.
Fun workplace
Cashier Assistance (Former Employee) –  Chicago, ILOctober 19, 2015
I don't know why it keeps coming back so i could do a review on it, but yes, It's a great working environment. and you'll enjoy working here. the co-workers are friendly and everyday is something new.
Do your job and it will pay off.
Team Member (Current Employee) –  MichiganOctober 10, 2015
As with any retail job, retail is retail. There are bad customers and there are good customers. Plum is clean and nice, so one can be proud of where they work. Most people climb the promotion ladder by starting at the bottom and work their way up. I have seen a few co-workers get promotions since I started.

Schedules can be flexible depending on the area you work. Some departments have more workers in them than others. Some departments have certain shifts and others have more variety in shifts. It's retail so expect to work weekends, nights and holidays. 9-5 doesn't happen here.

Overall, its a decent place to work. Be perpared to work though. There isn't a lot of standing around.
Pros
Employee discount.
Cons
Benefits.
Not a bad a place to work
Team Member (Current Employee) –  West Bloomfield Township, MISeptember 19, 2015
Great co-workers. Management is flexible with scheduling around family/school commitments. Ownership is around all the time. They don't always hello, though. Sometimes there are too many people in charge at once. It can get confusing as to who to listen to. Customers can be demanding at times but most of them are pretty nice. Overall, a decent place to work. After, a job is a job.
Pros
Decent employee discount, fun co-workers, great food all day long.
Cons
Benefits could be better. Overhead music is lame. Better employee appreciation..
Never again
Baker (Former Employee) –  Ann Arbor, MIJuly 4, 2015
This place is great when it comes to the people working there - youngsters, with crazy hair and tattoos. They're not scary, and they're working hard. It's great atmosphere. The management is the biggest issue, also the founder is a piece of work.
Terrible business practices!
Prepared Foods cook (Former Employee) –  Ann Arbor, MIJune 28, 2015
I worked at Plum Market for about a month with no call ins or disciplinary actions but was fired after I requested a few more days off to care for a family member who had just had surgery with many complications. I was told that I could not be protected under FMLA because I had not been there for a year. What a terrible way to treat a good employee! Pay is also very low and is not based on experience, education or cost of living.
Pros
Co workers are friendly
Cons
Managent does not care about employees.
very fun work environment
Baker (Current Employee) –  troy,miApril 6, 2015
super fun place to work met some amazing people while i worked here,you can make as much money as u want to there,management is very flexible with schedules.

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Plum Market. Our community is ready to answer.

2.9