Plum Market Employee Reviews

Don't ever work at plum Market
Stocker (Former Employee) –  West Bloomfield Township, MINovember 14, 2017
The manger except for one are rude and intrusive, and is one of the worst jobs I've ever had I went from 40 hrs to 8 hrs horrible. Ido not ever recommend anyone to this job.
Pros
Discount on some good items.
Cons
I felt like I was being stalked at work.
fun workplace with great people and bosses
Grocery/Courtesy Clerk/Cashier Assistant (Current Employee) –  West Bloomfield Township, MISeptember 28, 2017
It's a great place to work for a first time job. I just graduated from college, and i am not moving up in this job.
The cashiers are really nice people. Right now, i work here and they treat me like family.
Pros
awesome people and bosses
Cons
short breaks
Tedious
Plum Market Produce Team Member (Current Employee) –  Ann Arbor, MISeptember 12, 2017
Plum is not the best place i've worked. Lower level management are very rigid in ways that are not helpful to anyone and lack emotional intelligence.
Pros
15 minute paid break
Cons
tedious physical labor with minimal benefits
A p@&s poor substitute for Whole Foods
HR Assistant (Former Employee) –  Ann Arbor, MIAugust 18, 2017
See review summary. It's a family owned version of Whole Foods filled with tons of people who got fired from Whole Foods. The store team leads are high all the time and there is no structure
Fun place to work, tough for advancement
Produce Associate (Current Employee) –  West Bloomfield Township, MIAugust 7, 2017
In the produce department here there is not much organization. The upper management really doesn't know whats going on most of the time. They also never promote from within which is annoying.
Pros
Lots to learn about produce
Cons
short breaks, management difficult to communicate with
Great place to work!
Grocery Team Member / Dairy Team Member (Current Employee) –  Ann Arbor, MIJuly 23, 2017
Great place to work, it doesn't matter if you are young or old, a student or just looking for a job! This place gives you personal time if needed and care.
Pros
Pay, Some in management, The other workers.
Cons
Hard to move up, Some in higher positions abuse there power.
Great entry level position
Grocery Team Member (Former Employee) –  Ann Arbor, MI 48103July 16, 2017
A typical day for grocery opener would start with unpacking pallets, then stocking shelves then working a various task that needed to be done (backstock and such). From there it was just guest assistance and making sure the store looks nice.

Closer typically start the day help finish any task morning didn't finish then just make sure the store looks fine and assist guests.

While working there I furthered my knowledge on organic products, some buyer skills and general Ann Arbor culture.

Personally had no issues with management. The management staff on the store level at least seemed down to earth.

The work culture was probably the best I've seen at entry level. Though it is retail and you get those that like drama.

The difficulties of the job were mainly caused by lack of communication, people just not caring about the job (most were college students).

Best part of the job was the people. Some were fun to talk to some were crazy and I did get some enjoyment out of the drama as long as it didn't involve me. Also the morning shift was the best. Just come in stock shelves till you leave pretty much.
Pros
Good atmosphere, decent healthcare/dental/vision
Cons
Pay on par with Walmart after you pass their test
They showed favoritism
Prepared Foods Team Member (Former Employee) –  Chicago, ILJune 25, 2017
They showed favoritism to certain employees my hiring manager was basically picking on me for every little thing I did she use to always have something to say even when I was doing everything right.
Not my favorite place to work.
Cook/Server (Former Employee) –  Bloomfield Hills, MIJune 24, 2017
My time there was not memorable. The managers and customers we all very rude. There was no employee consideration or really good benefits. Pay is terrible and I felt over worked.
great company with many opportunities for growth
Guest Relations Manager (Current Employee) –  westJune 15, 2017
Its your basic hipster grocery store items cost a little more and theres a special kind of clientele that expect nothing less then the best when it comes to customer service. The employees are great and theres a ton of room to move up within the company. not to mention you get 20% off everything and 50% off your lunch
Pros
Lots of room for growth and great lunch discount
Cons
high prices
fun environment but management needs improvement
Produce Crew Member (Former Employee) –  Chicago, ILMay 31, 2017
coworkers are great. The shifts offered are a little odd at times. You will have to work holidays. Management is not very understanding with personal situations.
Pros
fun enviromnet
Cons
no holiday pay or great benefits offered
Productive and Fun Work Place
Cashier (Former Employee) –  West Bloomfield Township, MIMay 7, 2017
A typical day would begin with bagging groceries, when a cashier was ready for break we would rotate and I would be put on the cash register. I learned customer service and fast exchange of money.
It's a place to hang your hat
Meat Team Leader (Current Employee) –  Bloomfield, MIMay 3, 2017
Plum is a great place to work, IF you don't have a family. It's founded by a family, and they preach family values. They don't practice what they preach..
Pros
Employee discount health care paid time off after a year
Cons
Understaffed, narcissistic management
fun working with people
Cashier and cashier assistant (Former Employee) –  Chicago, ILDecember 28, 2016
Working at plum market was such great experience working.But sometimes some team lead was such rude and the way they spoke with co-workers was very wrong and they didn't have no respect. Other then that i really liked working there. I was always being friend with guest and I loved them too
Productive and enjoyable
Cashier (Former Employee) –  West Bloomfield Township, MIDecember 6, 2016
A typical work was punching in, and counting my drawer. Settling into a register and greeting customers. The management was alright. I hate the way they went about things at the end of my employment. I loved my co-workers. We all got along. I still keep in contact with them. The hardest part of the job was getting rude customers. But I always managed to deal with them appropriately. I even tried to make some of them smile. The most enjoyable part was my co-workers, and regular customers. I enjoyed new ones as well.
Pros
Discounts
Cons
On feet for 7 hours a day
Fun and educational workplace, difficult management and terrible customers
Guest Relations (Former Employee) –  West Bloomfield Township, MIOctober 25, 2016
This review is for the West Bloomfield store and each store in this chain is incredibly different. I have worked both as a cashier and as a Guest Relations manager. This job overall was enjoyable. The store works hard to educate its team members and provides a friendly atmosphere. The people who work here are motivated and work hard to go beyond what they are expected to. Working in the Front End department is very demanding and fast paced, but can be fun with the amount of people who come in. Unfortunately, upper management is slow to do anything that is needed of them and it causes problems with both team members and customers. They also try to weasel their way out of giving anyone a raise no matter how hard they work or how long they have been there. The people who shop at the West Bloomfield store are the toughest customers I have come across at any job and after being yelled at day after day, needing to confront shoplifters, and even being physically attacked without any support from my manager I decided to leave. This is a good job for anyone working part time but I do not believe this is a good fit for anyone looking for a full time career.
Pros
Discounted lunch, fun atmosphere, great team members, flexible hours
Cons
low pay, lazy management, difficult customers
It's a free-for-all
Front End (Former Employee) –  West Bloomfield Township, MIOctober 2, 2016
Just another leader-less company where the owners are too good to even make eye-contact with you. Just do the bare minimum and they'll be too afraid to try any form of discipline....
Also too cheap to throw in a little holiday pay and EVERYONE hates that one.
Still, if you need a paycheck while you're looking for a job with a company that isn't in a slow and steady decline, this will do for a little while.
Pros
You can get away with anything
Cons
Everyone knows they can get away with anything
Advancement opportunities and friendly co-workers
Team Leader (Current Employee) –  West Bloomfield, MISeptember 19, 2016
I've worked with Plum for over 4 years, I started as an associate and was promoted to team leader after 3 years. My old team leader really recognized how hard I worked and saw my value, always rallied for me to get great raises and time off that I needed. I love my new position, it is very fast paced and I get to be creative. I have a lot on my plate but I love the challenge! I am very passionate about growing my department and want to see Plum succeed. If Plum grows, I grow, we grow. It is family owned, you'll meet the owners and their family. They are always working to grow Plum and expand which means more opportunity for advancement. They always try to promote within first! If you work hard and take pride in what you do, they will notice. Great friendly atmosphere!

I do believe employee benefits and moral can be an area for improvement. This is retail, you will be working a variety of shifts, nights, weekends and holidays. It would be nice to be compensated for working certain holidays. Great discount, 20% and 50% off hot bar for lunch. Earned vacations based on how much you work, I'm up to two paid weeks a year. I believe all members of store leadership try their best to be fair but there is a business to run. It is a fast paced environment, a lot to do, unfavorable hours (everyone wants to work 9-5 and no weekends), exceptional guest service is expected and monitored and they don't want to see you standing around chit chatting. These are not meant to sound as cons, they are reality. This is what having a retail job is! I have been pulled aside many
  more... times to be told I did something well and given a reward. It could be done more but we all get in that mode and forget to stop and tell our fellow team members how much we appreciate them. This can always be improved. Perhaps more can be done in the way of rewards, employee of the month, special recognition etc.

All in all it is a great place to work. They want great workers who care for Plum because they care about their store and only want to see it succeed! Show up on time, be reasonable with your time off requests and work hard and stay focused and you will be rewarded.
Pros
Great discount, friendly staff, advancement opportunities, creative and fun atmosphere
Cons
no paid holidays
Clean, high end product and always something to do.
Grocery Team Member (Former Employee) –  West Bloomfield, MISeptember 19, 2016
Service oriented business that set high expectations but made it clear what was needed. I got to see and taste a ton of really interesting products and meet some good people. I wasn't here long because of school but enjoyed it.
Pros
Great lunch discount, decent starting pay, very interactive culture
Cons
It's a service industry
Good environment, Terrible Management
Cashier (Former Employee) –  Bloomfield Hills, MISeptember 16, 2016
Co-workers are friendly and fun to be around with. Management expects you to do your job perfectly and if you even make the smallest mistake it will be like the end of the world for them and could even cost you your job. I was hired as a cashier and the store manager decided to transfer me to work in the kitchen without even asking me about it... Customers are usually nice, above average grocery store setting, below average management.
Pros
Flexible hours, store discounts, great co-workers
Cons

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Plum Market. Our community is ready to answer.

2.8