PlumChoice Employee Reviews

Temp Scam
Remote Desktop Technician (Former Employee) –  Twin Falls, IDJune 4, 2012
Worked for Plumchoice through Insight Global Temp Agency. It was a complete temp scam -- they hired hundreds of people on, worked them until they burned out, then fired them the second they could. Promises of being brought on full time or benefits are a falsehood, no one ever makes it.

General call flow was you would contact a customer who was paying $99 to avoid having to talk to India, usually for some form of severe spyware issue. Then you would have to get them to a horrifically designed website with a particularly obtuse URL, get them to click an icon that was literally scrolled off the bottom of the screen, put in a code, and then you would be remoted into their computer, at which point you were expected to work your magic.

Each call required 7+ forms to be filled out, each for a different manager at AT&T's ego, each having the same data, each requiring you re-type the form (as copy / paste was disabled). Horrifically repetitive work which took significant time, and no time was allotted by management to do this -- you were expected to fill out these forms while on your next call.

Management was the rare combination of both nonexistent and a micromanagement nightmare -- the managers were impossible to reach in emergencies, gave no constructive feedback at all, were completely hands off, but at the same time were also always watching for "ways to improve."

In short: The job is low paying technical work. If you can live without any benefits (you will never get them), no job security (you will never be brought on full time), and no right to ever take a sick day or personal
  more... day (you have none, and taking one is grounds for dismissal), it is a fine job to work at while looking for better employment elsewhere.  less
Pros
money was tolerable for work from home
Cons
everything else.
Call Center Helpdesk Support - Work from home
IT Support Specialist (Current Employee) –  Work from HomeMarch 26, 2014
Whether you're taking inbound calls or making outbound calls as well as if you are handling issues for residential or business customers depends on the department in which you work. It's a call center environment where you work from home and are connected by VPN to the central office. Employees generally communicate with management and with each other through chat and email, with phone conversations being seldom. The work itself is typical remote helpdesk support where you fix most issues by accessing the customers' systems, with an occasional walk-them-through-it network support.

PROS: The pay is average and the benefits are decent. The job itself is pretty easy and it's nice to work in basketball shorts and a t-shirt if you want. The paid time off is generous when you finally are a permanent employee.

CONS: They generally hire through temp agencies and will tell you it takes about 4 months to be converted to permanent, but that's a lie. The average time a person is a temp is about 1.5-2 years, so don't expect benefits or paid time off for about that long. Also, if you are the kind of person who wants to contribute to the growth of an organization by providing suggestions and ideas, move on to the next gig because they will ignore your ideas 99.9% of the time.

SUMMARY: If you're OK with being a temp for a long time and you don't care if your ideas are ignored, it's a pretty decent company.
Pros
work from home, paid time off
Cons
temp for over a year, sharing ideas for improvements is discouraged
Typical sweatshop work for metrics environment.
Technical Support Representative Esc Technician (Current Employee) –  Remote work from home.May 17, 2015
While some of the co-workers at Plumchoice will remain lifelong friends, the work environment is lacking recently after policy changes that focus more on numbers and less on actually helping the customers. I would like to note this was not the case when i first started there but over the last year the company has really taken a turn for the worse. A typical day consists of taking calls and connecting into customers computers remotely and fixing whatever problems they have. You are expected to constantly be taking phone calls no matter if you are currently connected into 3 computers and cannot get anything done on the systems you are already connected into. I dont want to sound like i am bitter, i thrived and was hired permanently after 10 months as a temp, and maintained my stats in the top 10 across the board. However this company is losing business and the timing directly correlates to the shift in morals in the business as a whole. Therefore I am entertaining other job offers and searching for a company that I can make a difference at.

Nathaniel Porter
Pros
Good benefits
Cons
Production numbers matter more then customer satisfaction.
Not a permanent job dead end.
tech support (Current Employee) –  Lowell, MAAugust 13, 2013
I worked here for 5 months so far, and dealing with customers being angry because of things added to thier bill. It's an okay job at first being a temp, but thisjob is only just a temp. They do shift bids depending on how good you are at saving subs and sales. Not much on customer service. They rather have you force the product on them instead of assisting. So, the hours you may have won't be the same nor the days off. Managment is okay, though if personal things come up they take it pretty hard. You can also work two days remote and the rest must be in the office, but you have to use a hard line no cellphones. The program of citrix they use isn't the best. It lags, shorts itself out and it's pretty annoying.
Pros
friendly co workers, okay pay.
Cons
retention department instead of customer service, temp job only, shift bids you can't say no to.
Life there as a agent
Tech (Current Employee) –  Remote employeeFebruary 19, 2013
It's not a Bad place to work but it has SERIOUS downsizes. It is nice to work from home really... there are weeks I do not wear pants.

But it IS a sweat shop.
They WILL usually feed you a line to stay as a temp then let you go at a heart beat.
If you actually stick around to get bennies as a full time employee, it will be a miracle. Let's be honest there IS not any real path to promotion or growth.

And yes it IS a dead end job.

That said ... it IS great if you are using it to go to school or need something flexible as a side income. Not however as a primary income.
Pros
work from home
Cons
the ability to put your boss on mute and ignore him when he annoys you
Great facility and parking, bright with lots of windows, clean.
Customer Service/Sales (Former Employee) –  Scarborough, MEJuly 22, 2012
Working at an inbound call center I learned that listening, empathy and timely solutions are critical to overall customer satisfaction.
The supervisors and managers I've had in the past were always willing to help with difficult issues to assure satisfaction for the customer. I would say 95 per cent of my co workers were great. I've maintained friendships made at work to date.
Occasionally, you just can't please a customer. That is the hardest part of the job, because the most enjoyable part of the job is knowing you made a difference and helped someone, retained a customer and knowing they are happy.
Pros
occasional donuts or pizza and holdiday snacks, incentives
Cons
high turnover of employees
Fast Paced Telemarketing Environment
Technical Support Specialist (Former Employee) –  Scarborough, MESeptember 23, 2014
A typicla day of work involved answering tech support calls for AT&T internet sevices. Some things I learned were different terminology relating to hardwar/software, as well as different maintenance options for PC's. Mangement was generally easy going , however, there was very little communication when policies were changed which was often. I got along well with all my co-workers. The hardest part of the job, was being yelled at by irate customers for the majority of my day. The most enjoyable part of the job was when I got to help a customer, and they were genuinely greatful for the help and support I had provided.
Pros
work was done indoors with options to work from home.
Cons
the majority of calls received were from irate customers.
24/7 365 company online help desk
PC Technician (Current Employee) –  Lowell, MAJanuary 17, 2013
The hours and pay are not the greatest. The goals for number of calls per hour are hard to maintain due to the varied problems that are addressed. A temp to hire job that remains in contract status until you show you can met the goals. Supervision is good but they must maintain the goals for their group and monitor very closely. Their systems need to be updated, they have some bugs but are okay for the most part. They are a very high rated company as far as customer service. The coworkers are in a message group and help from coworkers is always available.
Pros
good feelings when you help someone with a problem.
Cons
flex shifts and low pay
Work remotely, tech support, SALES, SALES, SALES!
Technological Sales Representitive (Current Employee) –  Home/ Lowell, MANovember 14, 2014
Work remotely from home between 8-12 hours a day. Very helpful manager who drives me and maximizes my sales potential. Learned an immense amount of information about all aspects in the PC industry. My favorite part of the job is training new/ experienced co-workers on the fundamentals of viruses, call procedures, and sales with my boss. The hardest part of the job is that if call volume is low, I have to wait between 5 - 45 minutes for a call [costing me $$$].
Pros
working remotely, breaks, incredible manager, benefits
Cons
calls from existing customers, long waits between calls at times, deserve more money
started out great, but they lost their values and customer satisfaction became secondary to numbers
SMB Tech Support (Former Employee) –  Billerica, MAApril 8, 2013
was set up and modeled properly and had a great operational structure. After 3 years, it became apparent that numbers (quantitative measures) were more important than our original mission of customer satisfaction. Company became more focused on internal policies than actual customer satisfaction. More and more attention was being paid to scripts and quantitative analysis than how we could best assist the customer. Resigned after 3 years.
Pros
great knowledge base and system for chatroom with other techs
Cons
zero training and too many zero-tolerance rules
PlumChoice
Senior Customer Support Manager (Former Employee) –  Lowell, MANovember 1, 2013
They are a nice company but no significant challenge. They have some technology but do not appear to be investing in the development of the product.

They must believe that riding on the coat tails of others is a solid business model because that is what they do...add value to large ISP product offering and sell these offering to your grandmother.

Hey they claim 400000 subcribers. Hey 10 bucks a month for each makes a nice 50 mil business but no excitement.
Pros
great work life balence
Cons
not very exciting
Good Company
Sales/ Customer Service/ Tech Support Supervisor (Former Employee) –  Lowell, MAFebruary 27, 2015
I very much enjoyed my 5+ years in call center operations at Plumchoice. Unfortunately, I was involved in a round of downsizing that is common in a cyclical field such as this. I bear no resentment though. Even leaving the company they took good care of me with an adequate severance package. The only complaint I could offer is that as a remote worker opportunity for advancement is very limited. If you live in or near Lowell, MA the opportunity is endless though.
Great "Work From Home" Company
Remote Support Technician (Independent Contractor) (Former Employee) –  HomeDecember 11, 2013
I enjoyed my contract fulfillment. Being a remote technical support agent allowed me to take advantage of the great custom PC I've built for myself. There's a lot of multitasking involved but the co-workers are great.
Pros
work from home
Cons
very short lunch, all interaction with supervisors is done via web chat, you have to leave a message for anything that requires a phone call, they email you instead of calling you back
Very active environment working with customers on the phone
Remote IT Technician (Former Employee) –  Lowell, MAOctober 16, 2014
Great experience, acquired various troubleshooting skills. A typical day at work would include an office filled with co-workers and usually with two or three supervisors. Assistance is always available whenever necessary. Hardest part of the job is essentially performing best effort service. Customers usually aren't satisfied with the result. Best part of the job is resolving an issue with a customer, giving one hundred percent satisfaction.
A company in crisis
Human Resources (Current Employee) –  Billerica, MAJune 29, 2012
a new CEO took over in January, fired people. Every employee is scared to lose thier job, at least until they can get out!

The company is bleeding money and the finger pointing is amazing.

The harder you work the less they appreciate you.

I have worked for sweat shops before but not THIS BAD!!!

STAY AWAY PLEASE!
Cons
70 hour weeks, lousy benefits, stressful and hostile work environment

Comment – February 19, 2013

You hit it on the head. Not surprized that this is from someone from HR

Poorly managed.
HELPDESK REPRESENTATIVE (Former Employee) –  Remote, ORFebruary 1, 2016
Co-workers varied in their knowledge and understanding. No clear objective on what we support and didn't support. Management didn't clearly understand what we were to support. Mixed opinions caused a lot of arguments about what was supported. IT never kept the internal software operating correctly. No room to move up or gain a raise. No benefits or PTO.
Pros
Work from home.
Perhaps working in the IT department would've been best.
Customer Service Representative (Former Employee) –  Billerica, MAApril 25, 2013
I was a customer service rep for this company when they held a contract for Circuit City. It's probably been one of the worst jobs I've ever done. I had to handle some pretty upset people. Working hours weren't always the best. Breaks we're very strict and short.
fun place
Technical Support Representative (Current Employee) –  Boston, MASeptember 15, 2015
Provide customer technical support for Avast Support and HP smart friend services
Troubleshoot and variety of technical issue over phone and chat
Connect remotely to customer computer to scan and clean for viruses, and update drivers.
Developed strong multitasking abilities to respond to multiple customers at once
Pros
not that hard work
Cons
short break
Nice place to work, but the company was always on shaky ground.
Overswaw staff of 10 IT technicians (Former Employee) –  Billerica, MAJanuary 11, 2013
A typical day included Change Management review, Active Directory administration, Blade-SAN architecture monitoring, design and review. Budget monitoring and defining, Service Desk monitoring, etc.
Pros
people
Cons
some levels of management
Tech support Position
Support Specialist (Former Employee) –  Billarica MANovember 7, 2012
Nice company, Working from was a nice experience, however wished there was more interaction between employees and management, toughest part of the job was having to deal with some if the internal technical issue
Pros
working from home
Cons
some of the schedueling