PlumChoice Employee Reviews

Work from home Tech Support and Sales
Sales / Technical Support (Former Employee) –  Tampa, FLOctober 20, 2016
This was before I switched careers from tech support to web development.

The company is very authoritarian. The role was for out of warranty tech support. Which means dumb people who don't understand computers called in expecting free support. Instead of taking two minutes to explain that being out of warranty means they will have to pay for support. The warranty department cold transferred them to agents like me.

60% of the customers I spoke with were rude, hostile, and demanded free service. I was expected to sell them support and transfer the to the technicians.

I was also given the unrealistic expectation to make 30% sales based on the unpredictable number of calls we received per day.

I was told be shady and emotionally manipulate customers into signing up for a monthly service fee that they could not cancel without a huge cancellation charge.

The managers were awful hostile people that motivated employees through threats of being fired.
Pros
It was a paycheck
Cons
Everything else
Work from home? Not worth it
Remote Technician (Former Employee) –  Lowell, MAFebruary 23, 2016
working here was stressful and confusing. Management is shoving a new metric down your throat every month, not really focusing on customer experience as a whole. most shifts are highly understaffed. also I never received a raise in the 3 years I worked there.
Pros
Work From Home, Paid time off
Cons
Stressful work environment, bad management, laughable pay
Poorly managed.
HELPDESK REPRESENTATIVE (Former Employee) –  Remote, ORFebruary 1, 2016
Co-workers varied in their knowledge and understanding. No clear objective on what we support and didn't support. Management didn't clearly understand what we were to support. Mixed opinions caused a lot of arguments about what was supported. IT never kept the internal software operating correctly. No room to move up or gain a raise. No benefits or PTO.
Pros
Work from home.
Great people and comfortable atmosphere
Tech Support & Sales Rep (Former Employee) –  Lowell, MAAugust 10, 2016
Every position is different in which you don't have to work from the office. My position allowed me to work from home or office. I usually worked from home so I rarely went into the office.
Plum Choice
Sales Representative (Former Employee) –  Lowell, MAOctober 13, 2016
I worked from home and enjoyed the people I worked with so every day was enjoyable, but sometimes is was difficult being stuck in the house so much
Such potential destroyed for no good reason.
Sales (Former Employee) –  Lowell, MADecember 6, 2013
It is a shame that PlumChoice ended up the way it did. Ted had a great idea but it has been destroyed. The culture at the company is dying and almost everyone (whether they admit it or not) is fearful for their job. Axing people without any notice is a common theme from the top all the way down to the very bottom workers - almost like it is now a core theme of the company.

Another bad practice at PlumChoice is the hiring of "Sales Professionals" which really end up being call center agents. You are explained a job in one way and find out it is quite different. Deception starting that early is never a good sign. And when it goes downhill from there you know you are in real trouble.
Pros
They did have some great people there - almost all of them have left or been fired.
Cons
Low pay, management disconnected, backstabbing common
A company in crisis
Human Resources (Current Employee) –  Billerica, MAJune 29, 2012
a new CEO took over in January, fired people. Every employee is scared to lose thier job, at least until they can get out!

The company is bleeding money and the finger pointing is amazing.

The harder you work the less they appreciate you.

I have worked for sweat shops before but not THIS BAD!!!

STAY AWAY PLEASE!
Cons
70 hour weeks, lousy benefits, stressful and hostile work environment
No advancement
Remote Technical Sales Supervisor (Current Employee) –  RemoteMarch 20, 2013
Management seems to be less qualified for their positions than the people below them. No room for advancement, supervisor to agent ratio is extremely unbalanced.
Pros
good benefits
Cons
management, advancement, raises, overworked
Work remotely, tech support, SALES, SALES, SALES!
Technological Sales Representitive (Current Employee) –  Home/ Lowell, MANovember 14, 2014
Work remotely from home between 8-12 hours a day. Very helpful manager who drives me and maximizes my sales potential. Learned an immense amount of information about all aspects in the PC industry. My favorite part of the job is training new/ experienced co-workers on the fundamentals of viruses, call procedures, and sales with my boss. The hardest part of the job is that if call volume is low, I have to wait between 5 - 45 minutes for a call [costing me $$$].
Pros
Working remotely, breaks, incredible manager, benefits
Cons
Calls from existing customers, long waits between calls at times, deserve more money
Typical sweatshop work for metrics environment.
Technical Support Representative Esc Technician (Current Employee) –  Remote work from home.May 17, 2015
While some of the co-workers at Plumchoice will remain lifelong friends, the work environment is lacking recently after policy changes that focus more on numbers and less on actually helping the customers. I would like to note this was not the case when i first started there but over the last year the company has really taken a turn for the worse. A typical day consists of taking calls and connecting into customers computers remotely and fixing whatever problems they have. You are expected to constantly be taking phone calls no matter if you are currently connected into 3 computers and cannot get anything done on the systems you are already connected into. I dont want to sound like i am bitter, i thrived and was hired permanently after 10 months as a temp, and maintained my stats in the top 10 across the board. However this company is losing business and the timing directly correlates to the shift in morals in the business as a whole. Therefore I am entertaining other job offers and searching for a company that I can make a difference at.

Nathaniel Porter
Pros
Good benefits
Cons
Production numbers matter more then customer satisfaction.
Good Company
Sales/ Customer Service/ Tech Support Supervisor (Former Employee) –  Lowell, MAFebruary 27, 2015
I very much enjoyed my 5+ years in call center operations at Plumchoice. Unfortunately, I was involved in a round of downsizing that is common in a cyclical field such as this. I bear no resentment though. Even leaving the company they took good care of me with an adequate severance package. The only complaint I could offer is that as a remote worker opportunity for advancement is very limited. If you live in or near Lowell, MA the opportunity is endless though.
Temp Scam
Remote Desktop Technician (Former Employee) –  Twin Falls, IDJune 4, 2012
Worked for Plumchoice through Insight Global Temp Agency. It was a complete temp scam -- they hired hundreds of people on, worked them until they burned out, then fired them the second they could. Promises of being brought on full time or benefits are a falsehood, no one ever makes it.

General call flow was you would contact a customer who was paying $99 to avoid having to talk to India, usually for some form of severe spyware issue. Then you would have to get them to a horrifically designed website with a particularly obtuse URL, get them to click an icon that was literally scrolled off the bottom of the screen, put in a code, and then you would be remoted into their computer, at which point you were expected to work your magic.

Each call required 7+ forms to be filled out, each for a different manager at AT&T's ego, each having the same data, each requiring you re-type the form (as copy / paste was disabled). Horrifically repetitive work which took significant time, and no time was allotted by management to do this -- you were expected to fill out these forms while on your next call.

Management was the rare combination of both nonexistent and a micromanagement nightmare -- the managers were impossible to reach in emergencies, gave no constructive feedback at all, were completely hands off, but at the same time were also always watching for "ways to improve."

In short: The job is low paying technical work. If you can live without any benefits (you will never get them), no job security (you will never be brought on full time), and no right to ever take a sick day or personal
  more... day (you have none, and taking one is grounds for dismissal), it is a fine job to work at while looking for better employment elsewhere.  less
Pros
money was tolerable for work from home
Cons
everything else.
Life there as a agent
Tech (Current Employee) –  Remote employeeFebruary 19, 2013
It's not a Bad place to work but it has SERIOUS downsizes. It is nice to work from home really... there are weeks I do not wear pants.

But it IS a sweat shop.
They WILL usually feed you a line to stay as a temp then let you go at a heart beat.
If you actually stick around to get bennies as a full time employee, it will be a miracle. Let's be honest there IS not any real path to promotion or growth.

And yes it IS a dead end job.

That said ... it IS great if you are using it to go to school or need something flexible as a side income. Not however as a primary income.
Pros
work from home
Cons
the ability to put your boss on mute and ignore him when he annoys you
Call Center Helpdesk Support - Work from home
IT Support Specialist (Current Employee) –  Work from HomeMarch 26, 2014
Whether you're taking inbound calls or making outbound calls as well as if you are handling issues for residential or business customers depends on the department in which you work. It's a call center environment where you work from home and are connected by VPN to the central office. Employees generally communicate with management and with each other through chat and email, with phone conversations being seldom. The work itself is typical remote helpdesk support where you fix most issues by accessing the customers' systems, with an occasional walk-them-through-it network support.

PROS: The pay is average and the benefits are decent. The job itself is pretty easy and it's nice to work in basketball shorts and a t-shirt if you want. The paid time off is generous when you finally are a permanent employee.

CONS: They generally hire through temp agencies and will tell you it takes about 4 months to be converted to permanent, but that's a lie. The average time a person is a temp is about 1.5-2 years, so don't expect benefits or paid time off for about that long. Also, if you are the kind of person who wants to contribute to the growth of an organization by providing suggestions and ideas, move on to the next gig because they will ignore your ideas 99.9% of the time.

SUMMARY: If you're OK with being a temp for a long time and you don't care if your ideas are ignored, it's a pretty decent company.
Pros
Work from home, Paid time off
Cons
Temp for over a year, sharing ideas for improvements is discouraged
fun place
Technical Support Representative (Current Employee) –  Boston, MASeptember 15, 2015
Provide customer technical support for Avast Support and HP smart friend services
Troubleshoot and variety of technical issue over phone and chat
Connect remotely to customer computer to scan and clean for viruses, and update drivers.
Developed strong multitasking abilities to respond to multiple customers at once
Pros
not that hard work
Cons
short break
Fast Paced Telemarketing Environment
Technical Support Specialist (Former Employee) –  Scarborough, MESeptember 23, 2014
A typicla day of work involved answering tech support calls for AT&T internet sevices. Some things I learned were different terminology relating to hardwar/software, as well as different maintenance options for PC's. Mangement was generally easy going , however, there was very little communication when policies were changed which was often. I got along well with all my co-workers. The hardest part of the job, was being yelled at by irate customers for the majority of my day. The most enjoyable part of the job was when I got to help a customer, and they were genuinely greatful for the help and support I had provided.
Pros
Work was done indoors with options to work from home.
Cons
The majority of calls received were from irate customers.
Nice place to work, but the company was always on shaky ground.
Overswaw staff of 10 IT technicians (Former Employee) –  Billerica, MAJanuary 11, 2013
A typical day included Change Management review, Active Directory administration, Blade-SAN architecture monitoring, design and review. Budget monitoring and defining, Service Desk monitoring, etc.
Pros
people
Cons
some levels of management
Not a permanent job dead end.
tech support (Current Employee) –  Lowell, MAAugust 13, 2013
I worked here for 5 months so far, and dealing with customers being angry because of things added to thier bill. It's an okay job at first being a temp, but thisjob is only just a temp. They do shift bids depending on how good you are at saving subs and sales. Not much on customer service. They rather have you force the product on them instead of assisting. So, the hours you may have won't be the same nor the days off. Managment is okay, though if personal things come up they take it pretty hard. You can also work two days remote and the rest must be in the office, but you have to use a hard line no cellphones. The program of citrix they use isn't the best. It lags, shorts itself out and it's pretty annoying.
Pros
Friendly Co workers, okay pay.
Cons
retention department instead of customer service, temp job only, shift bids you can't say no to.
Great facility and parking, bright with lots of windows, clean.
Customer Service/Sales (Former Employee) –  Scarborough, MEJuly 22, 2012
Working at an inbound call center I learned that listening, empathy and timely solutions are critical to overall customer satisfaction.
The supervisors and managers I've had in the past were always willing to help with difficult issues to assure satisfaction for the customer. I would say 95 per cent of my co workers were great. I've maintained friendships made at work to date.
Occasionally, you just can't please a customer. That is the hardest part of the job, because the most enjoyable part of the job is knowing you made a difference and helped someone, retained a customer and knowing they are happy.
Pros
occasional donuts or pizza and holdiday snacks, incentives
Cons
high turnover of employees
Tech support Position
Support Specialist (Former Employee) –  Billarica MANovember 7, 2012
Nice company, Working from was a nice experience, however wished there was more interaction between employees and management, toughest part of the job was having to deal with some if the internal technical issue
Pros
working from home
Cons
some of the schedueling

2.5