PlumChoice Employee Reviews in United States

Work from home? Not worth it
Remote Technician (Former Employee) –  Lowell, MAFebruary 23, 2016
working here was stressful and confusing. Management is shoving a new metric down your throat every month, not really focusing on customer experience as a whole. most shifts are highly understaffed. also I never received a raise in the 3 years I worked there.
Pros
Work From Home, Paid time off
Cons
Stressful work environment, bad management, laughable pay
Poorly managed.
HELPDESK REPRESENTATIVE (Former Employee) –  Remote, ORFebruary 1, 2016
Co-workers varied in their knowledge and understanding. No clear objective on what we support and didn't support. Management didn't clearly understand what we were to support. Mixed opinions caused a lot of arguments about what was supported. IT never kept the internal software operating correctly. No room to move up or gain a raise. No benefits or PTO.
Pros
Work from home.
fun place
Technical Support Representative (Current Employee) –  Boston, MASeptember 15, 2015
Provide customer technical support for Avast Support and HP smart friend services
Troubleshoot and variety of technical issue over phone and chat
Connect remotely to customer computer to scan and clean for viruses, and update drivers.
Developed strong multitasking abilities to respond to multiple customers at once
Pros
not that hard work
Cons
short break
amazing for entry level.
Remote Technician (Former Employee) –  Lowell, MaJuly 19, 2015
good for entry level tech support to get your feet wet in the field. They train you out of the gate and always have people available if you have questions and also encourage you to ask them
Good Company
Sales/ Customer Service/ Tech Support Supervisor (Former Employee) –  Lowell, MAFebruary 27, 2015
I very much enjoyed my 5+ years in call center operations at Plumchoice. Unfortunately, I was involved in a round of downsizing that is common in a cyclical field such as this. I bear no resentment though. Even leaving the company they took good care of me with an adequate severance package. The only complaint I could offer is that as a remote worker opportunity for advancement is very limited. If you live in or near Lowell, MA the opportunity is endless though.
Work remotely, tech support, SALES, SALES, SALES!
Technological Sales Representitive (Current Employee) –  Home/ Lowell, MANovember 14, 2014
Work remotely from home between 8-12 hours a day. Very helpful manager who drives me and maximizes my sales potential. Learned an immense amount of information about all aspects in the PC industry. My favorite part of the job is training new/ experienced co-workers on the fundamentals of viruses, call procedures, and sales with my boss. The hardest part of the job is that if call volume is low, I have to wait between 5 - 45 minutes for a call [costing me $$$].
Pros
working remotely, breaks, incredible manager, benefits
Cons
calls from existing customers, long waits between calls at times, deserve more money
Very active environment working with customers on the phone
Remote IT Technician (Former Employee) –  Lowell, MAOctober 16, 2014
Great experience, acquired various troubleshooting skills. A typical day at work would include an office filled with co-workers and usually with two or three supervisors. Assistance is always available whenever necessary. Hardest part of the job is essentially performing best effort service. Customers usually aren't satisfied with the result. Best part of the job is resolving an issue with a customer, giving one hundred percent satisfaction.
Fast Paced Telemarketing Environment
Technical Support Specialist (Former Employee) –  Scarborough, MESeptember 23, 2014
A typicla day of work involved answering tech support calls for AT&T internet sevices. Some things I learned were different terminology relating to hardwar/software, as well as different maintenance options for PC's. Mangement was generally easy going , however, there was very little communication when policies were changed which was often. I got along well with all my co-workers. The hardest part of the job, was being yelled at by irate customers for the majority of my day. The most enjoyable part of the job was when I got to help a customer, and they were genuinely greatful for the help and support I had provided.
Pros
work was done indoors with options to work from home.
Cons
the majority of calls received were from irate customers.
PlumChoice
Senior Customer Support Manager (Former Employee) –  Lowell, MANovember 1, 2013
They are a nice company but no significant challenge. They have some technology but do not appear to be investing in the development of the product.

They must believe that riding on the coat tails of others is a solid business model because that is what they do...add value to large ISP product offering and sell these offering to your grandmother.

Hey they claim 400000 subcribers. Hey 10 bucks a month for each makes a nice 50 mil business but no excitement.
Pros
great work life balence
Cons
not very exciting
24/7 365 company online help desk
PC Technician (Current Employee) –  Lowell, MAJanuary 17, 2013
The hours and pay are not the greatest. The goals for number of calls per hour are hard to maintain due to the varied problems that are addressed. A temp to hire job that remains in contract status until you show you can met the goals. Supervision is good but they must maintain the goals for their group and monitor very closely. Their systems need to be updated, they have some bugs but are okay for the most part. They are a very high rated company as far as customer service. The coworkers are in a message group and help from coworkers is always available.
Pros
good feelings when you help someone with a problem.
Cons
flex shifts and low pay
Life there as a agent
Tech (Current Employee) –  Remote employeeFebruary 19, 2013
It's not a Bad place to work but it has SERIOUS downsizes. It is nice to work from home really... there are weeks I do not wear pants.

But it IS a sweat shop.
They WILL usually feed you a line to stay as a temp then let you go at a heart beat.
If you actually stick around to get bennies as a full time employee, it will be a miracle. Let's be honest there IS not any real path to promotion or growth.

And yes it IS a dead end job.

That said ... it IS great if you are using it to go to school or need something flexible as a side income. Not however as a primary income.
Pros
work from home
Cons
the ability to put your boss on mute and ignore him when he annoys you
started out great, but they lost their values and customer satisfaction became secondary to numbers
SMB Tech Support (Former Employee) –  Billerica, MAApril 8, 2013
was set up and modeled properly and had a great operational structure. After 3 years, it became apparent that numbers (quantitative measures) were more important than our original mission of customer satisfaction. Company became more focused on internal policies than actual customer satisfaction. More and more attention was being paid to scripts and quantitative analysis than how we could best assist the customer. Resigned after 3 years.
Pros
great knowledge base and system for chatroom with other techs
Cons
zero training and too many zero-tolerance rules
Great facility and parking, bright with lots of windows, clean.
Customer Service/Sales (Former Employee) –  Scarborough, MEJuly 22, 2012
Working at an inbound call center I learned that listening, empathy and timely solutions are critical to overall customer satisfaction.
The supervisors and managers I've had in the past were always willing to help with difficult issues to assure satisfaction for the customer. I would say 95 per cent of my co workers were great. I've maintained friendships made at work to date.
Occasionally, you just can't please a customer. That is the hardest part of the job, because the most enjoyable part of the job is knowing you made a difference and helped someone, retained a customer and knowing they are happy.
Pros
occasional donuts or pizza and holdiday snacks, incentives
Cons
high turnover of employees
A company in crisis
Human Resources (Current Employee) –  Billerica, MAJune 29, 2012
a new CEO took over in January, fired people. Every employee is scared to lose thier job, at least until they can get out!

The company is bleeding money and the finger pointing is amazing.

The harder you work the less they appreciate you.

I have worked for sweat shops before but not THIS BAD!!!

STAY AWAY PLEASE!
Cons
70 hour weeks, lousy benefits, stressful and hostile work environment
Not a permanent job dead end.
tech support (Current Employee) –  Lowell, MAAugust 13, 2013
I worked here for 5 months so far, and dealing with customers being angry because of things added to thier bill. It's an okay job at first being a temp, but thisjob is only just a temp. They do shift bids depending on how good you are at saving subs and sales. Not much on customer service. They rather have you force the product on them instead of assisting. So, the hours you may have won't be the same nor the days off. Managment is okay, though if personal things come up they take it pretty hard. You can also work two days remote and the rest must be in the office, but you have to use a hard line no cellphones. The program of citrix they use isn't the best. It lags, shorts itself out and it's pretty annoying.
Pros
friendly co workers, okay pay.
Cons
retention department instead of customer service, temp job only, shift bids you can't say no to.
Such potential destroyed for no good reason.
Sales (Former Employee) –  Lowell, MADecember 6, 2013
It is a shame that PlumChoice ended up the way it did. Ted had a great idea but it has been destroyed. The culture at the company is dying and almost everyone (whether they admit it or not) is fearful for their job. Axing people without any notice is a common theme from the top all the way down to the very bottom workers - almost like it is now a core theme of the company.

Another bad practice at PlumChoice is the hiring of "Sales Professionals" which really end up being call center agents. You are explained a job in one way and find out it is quite different. Deception starting that early is never a good sign. And when it goes downhill from there you know you are in real trouble.
Pros
they did have some great people there - almost all of them have left or been fired.
Cons
low pay, management disconnected, backstabbing common
Productive workplace.
HP Remote Desktop Technician (Former Employee) –  Boston, MAMay 3, 2015
I enjoyed the time working for Plumchoice, and the supervisors and co-workers had a good relationship with each other.
Perhaps working in the IT department would've been best.
Customer Service Representative (Former Employee) –  Billerica, MAApril 25, 2013
I was a customer service rep for this company when they held a contract for Circuit City. It's probably been one of the worst jobs I've ever done. I had to handle some pretty upset people. Working hours weren't always the best. Breaks we're very strict and short.
Nice place to work, but the company was always on shaky ground.
Overswaw staff of 10 IT technicians (Former Employee) –  Billerica, MAJanuary 11, 2013
A typical day included Change Management review, Active Directory administration, Blade-SAN architecture monitoring, design and review. Budget monitoring and defining, Service Desk monitoring, etc.
Pros
people
Cons
some levels of management
Tech support Position
Support Specialist (Former Employee) –  Billarica MANovember 7, 2012
Nice company, Working from was a nice experience, however wished there was more interaction between employees and management, toughest part of the job was having to deal with some if the internal technical issue
Pros
working from home
Cons
some of the schedueling

2.5