PMA USA Employee Reviews in United States

Enjoyed working with my co workers
Medical Biller (Former Employee) –  Orwigsburg, PAJuly 19, 2016
Input all incoming Billing/Coding in correctly, work on insurance issues, solve problems that arrive with billing/coding and correct before sending through insurances.
Pros
good co workers
Cons
management, and everything else on a day to day
National Training Consultant (Current Employee) –  Dallas, TXJuly 5, 2016
I have worked here for over 5 years and it has been a great place to work in Dallas, TX.The only reason I'm looking for another job is the company is relocating out of state.
There Management was a complete joke
Sles (Former Employee) –  Iowa City, IAJuly 5, 2016
Had no idea what he was doing....When we were out at the same location...he took all the sales and left over the dregs.....It is completely laughable. BEWARE.

And then to make it worse...if they do pay you what was suppose to be $500 for their training...after you go on your way, you begin to get calls from a collection "attorney" threating you that you will have to repay something for making absolutely no money....only driving and wear and tear on your car.

The company is an absolute joke.
Pros
product sounds decent
Cons
mangement is a laughable as it can be
Good compensation but poor customer service and hostile work environment
Regional Sales Manager (Former Employee) –  Des Moines, IAApril 12, 2016
Poor management/training very little opportunity for advancement. Family is not important with this employer its all about what have you done for me lately.
1099 income
Insurance Sales Representative (Current Employee) –  Greenville, SCMarch 14, 2016
I needed more steady income than this company was able to afford me. Long-term I think it could have paid off, but short term the accounts they send you to are unreliable and the expenses involved in starting up can be overwhelming.
Scam.
Independent Sales Representative (Former Employee) –  New York, NYMarch 8, 2016
I had to wait 3 weeks to even start this job. Told I was going to make load of money. Never did. Not worth it at all. Having to try and make commission to pay bills, travel expenses. No kind of company compensation whatsoever. Every sale I made was split with the guy even if he was not in the room! Don't waste your time. This company is even shady to their clients!
Pros
Cons
Everything. Out of pocke everything
Great Place to Work
Casual Lonemangshor (Current Employee) –  Los Angeles, CAMarch 4, 2016
If you like to work hard and to be rewarded for your efforts then this job is for you. They only hire about once every seven years but if you can secure the chance to work here it can really be a great oppertunity.
Pros
Great Pay
Cons
Need More work
Game Changer
State Manager (Current Employee) –  TNFebruary 22, 2016
I've been with PMA USA since 2005 and it's been a life changer for me. As a college dropout with no experience in sales, it allowed me to hit the ground running and keep growing.

I work Mon-Fri, never nights and weekends. It's never the same thing twice, although we follow a system in each workplace. My trainers and managers pointed me in the right direction through my first few months, and gave me the coaching or "kick in the rear" I needed.

It's not a get rich quick scheme, anyone applying here should be ready to work hard, but the people who step up will succeed.

Anyone looking for easy money and little workload should go elsewhere. If you're looking for an opportunity to make your own path and build a book of business that will pay you forever, this will be the right fit.
Pros
Compensation, flexibility, advancement
Cons
some travel, long hours
Exciting Role
Direct Sales Representative (Former Employee) –  Hillside, NJDecember 20, 2015
Being a direct sales rep was an exciting and rewarding position. Everyday was a new adventure out on the field. Building relationships with customers was the focus of the job in my opinion. These fostered relationships lead to acquiring new customers, thus allowing me to reach my goal.
lots of expense not a lot of income
agent (Former Employee) –  South Dakota and MinnesotaSeptember 5, 2015
The managers there don't train you very well and throw you into the lake to let you sink or swim. Their ethics are questionable as well. I was told to do what I could to get the sale, if that meant to lie to the customer then do it (which is actually against the law to do). You pay your own way (gas, car, insurance, food, hotels, ect) which was about $400 a week just to go to work. Most of the people that worked there I got along with, but the managers only really cared about you if you were producing, if you were not they left you alone to fail instead of guiding you and training you to help you succeed.
Pros
Cons
everything
Awesome bosses, fun place to work.
Medical Assistant (Former Employee) –  Sacramento, CAJuly 22, 2015
Always had fun, doctors were all nice and fun to work with. Management kept morale up and did all kinds of nice things for employees. Loved all of the patients.
Pros
Great management and perks!!!
Cons
Did not have the greatest insurance package.
there are busy days and not so busy days
Office Clerk (Former Employee) –  Corona, caJune 21, 2015
loved talking to people on the phone
the customers and vendors were a great bunch to work with.
the co-workers and owners were great.
Machinery is placed so close together it is unsafe to walk through the plant
Value Stream Lead (Former Employee) –  Dallas TxMay 15, 2015
Typical work was at a normal pace. Learned how to operate CNC machines plus the leadership functions. Became a DMIR inspecter. The management was at time not totaly honest. The hardest part of the job was trying to get management to correct problems. The many differant cultures working there was the greatest part of the job.
Pros
Good hours
Cons
Not so clean, but not overly dirty
fun working environment
Account Claims Associate 1 (Current Employee) –  Nashville, TNMay 3, 2015
It's a great place to work for and the co-workers are always willing to help you if you need it. What else can I say it's a great working environment.
Exciting
Insurance Agent (Former Employee) –  Dallas, TXApril 17, 2015
To be able to meet new people and explain Insurance policies to them. The hardest part was "cold calling," knocking on the door to an uninvited house, and they would turn me away.
Long Days, Lots of Not Interested, Own Expense
Door to Door Insurance Sales Person (Former Employee) –  OklahomaApril 11, 2015
Company culture is sort of like an AmWay cult thing, everyone is all positive about selling, making sells and so on, turned me off.

Company management are ALL successful sales people, but many suck at the most basic management skills, lots of slick talkers, positive and upbeat, "You Can Do It" type people, but have a sliding moral scale, as long as you make the sale.

They tend to put their best sales people in the best areas so they are sure to make money, and the new people or weaker sales people get sent to the harder counties to sale in, pretty much trial by fire. If you can survive that, and sale, you can make it. The problem is surviving it.

Also, their training is weak, consisting of "ride around and watch me do this, and oh read and memorize this stuff". Again, sales people who do not know the first thing about training, teaching, much less anything else other than slick talking.

They tell you it is six weeks of paid training, at $500 a week, it is not. It is an advance and is taken out of your pay after you start making sales a little at time. Oh and you only get the $500 dollar advance for week five and six, IF you sold enough, then they give it to you.

Co-workers.... some were great, but others only see you as someone who is taking away sales they could get if you were not there.

District Managers, usually keep the best for themselves. The Regional Manager will "sweep" into your area every so often, sell a bunch of stuff and declare how easy that was, and leave, leaving you with the feeling he just took sales you could of had. State Managers,
  more... they are all millionaires and could care less about you, and only look at total numbers sold. Oh and every one of your "managers" above you, are making money off your work, 7% each on up the line. So if you do this, try and become a DC ASAP, otherwise you are their milk cow.

Best part of the job was talking to many different people, and getting to know them as people. I like that a lot, but did not feel right pushing insurance on them, if they could not afford it or did not really want it.

Four day work week-Good
Gone from home those four days-bad
They pay quickly-good
Pros
Talking to people
Cons
Poor Management, Slick Talkers, long hours, you spend your own money to cover expenses.
Not for most
Sales rep (Former Employee) –  OhioMarch 2, 2015
I was drawn in by promises of making my own schedule and huge financial gains. In the end I worked long days and drove constantly. The job involves a lot of cold-calling, which I was told there would be none of. All pay is commission based, so all expenses are out of pocket (hotels, meals, gas, etc.). The job involved deceptive sales tactics to convince people to buy an insurance product most of the sales reps know nothing about.
Pros
saturdays and sundays off
Cons
deception, false promises, long days
Great job to earn a great living!
District Manager/Sales (Current Employee) –  Elkhart, ILFebruary 27, 2015
I love my job. It was not the easiest thing in the world to get started but with help of my superiors I was trained well in the field and out of the field. We offer a superior product in a needy market and the product really sells itself.. I would recommend this job to anyone with the drive and work ethic to want to be better not just handed something better. I am rewarded quite well for what I do and their is no caps or limitations to what I can make or what I can achieve professionally. It truly was the opportunity of a lifetime and instead of letting it come to me, I went out and achieved it. My co-workers are a blast to be with most of the time and we have really become like family because we all know that we are in this together. The freedom and flexible time that come with this job are better than anything I have known in the past and I have had two of my own businesses prior to starting this at the age of 29. If you are looking for an opportunity where you have unlimited potential look no farther, because if you have the drive(some do some don't) this will make a better living for you and your family than you ever thought possible!
Pros
great pay, flexible schedule, great products, advancement op
Cons
underprepared new agents
Incredible work environment, able to surround your self with true Sales Champions.
Regional Sales Manager (Current Employee) –  Des Moines, IAFebruary 18, 2015
Working for PMA is the life choice that I have ever made. I have finally found a home where I am judged only by my performance not just if the "cool Kids" like me. Anyone willing to work and make a short term sacrifice like I did will have a long term gain even though on average we only work 186 days a year. Like any compnay you have winners and pikers. The Company was straight forward with me about the Job, work schedule and the pay. They Pay weekly and on time. The most enjoyable part about the Job for Winners is freedom, Schedule, Financial, etc...the down side is not enough hours in a day. For Pikers the hardest part of the Job is every thing. They usually come out unprepared cannot keep up with the trainer due to lack of doing their homework they want something for nothing and when they do not get what they ask for or fail it is the everyone else's fault even though they are the only common denominator.
Pros
freedom---time and financial
Cons
the occasional negative cowrker
diffucult work conditions traveling constantly
Independent Agent (Former Employee) –  National, WADecember 23, 2014
drive 4 to5 hours to site work all day, don't be taken in by slick promises and big talkers, co-workers were not within the best interests of each other
Pros
scenery
Cons
away from son too much

2.7