PMA USA Employee Reviews

this job is not going to go the way they pitch for 99% of people
Independent Insurance (Current Employee) –  Mount Carmel, INNovember 20, 2017
stay away from this business your fate is in the hands of a manager that picks which maps you get to have and keeps all the good ones for himself. you are an Independent contractor but when working you are obviously being told what to do, even forced to pay for hotel, forced to meet and pay for breakfast, forced to have a team meeting every night no matter the time. Managers tell you to do one thing and completely do the opposite, like sleep in the hotel while everyone is working because the manager has the good maps and just blows up our current policy holders with more insurance and then goes back to hotel, but will throw a fit if you come back early one time.
I suppose if you had the right manager this job could have potential.
Good place to work, challenging, pushes to succeed
Independent Contractor (Current Employee) –  MinnesotaOctober 6, 2017
PMA is an awesome job if you don't mind working 7 days a week with little to no pay in the first month. After that I'm sure as you get experienced you make alot more and work less. But if it's your only income good luck.
Pros
Good work environment, good incentive
Cons
Commission based with little to no pay at the beginning
Get paid for what you do!
Agent (Current Employee) –  VirginiaSeptember 30, 2017
Those who don't do well don't really try.
Hard work but very lucrative if you work as trained.

Sales is tough, but the products are awesome and the training program will ensure success IF you follow said program.

Travel can be tiresome, but allows for time to decompress and to get things together for the next day. Bonus program is top notch as well.
Pros
self employed, travel, meeting new people and help people
Cons
travel, sometimes there can be a lack of communication
Right Fit For Some...
LICENSED INSURANCE AGENT (Current Employee) –  National, WASeptember 28, 2017
Working as a 1099 independent contractor, your flexibility is worth some of the sacrifices that you endure. Unfortunately, without the proper management and/or direction, the limitless income potential that's available isn't a guarantee. If the president would work harder to ensure state managers and lower are doing their jobs, someone here could do very well for themselves.
Pros
Flexibility, Unlimited Income Potential, Great Products
Cons
Poor Management
Lies
Agent (Former Employee) –  Fargo, NDJuly 17, 2017
"State Manager" teaches you to churn polices and how to lie at high levels. The "regional managers" go to the county before the team and take all the good leads and leave the team working the left overs. I made such a mistake by drinking their coolaid and believe what they were saying. The Dvisional Vice President even pulled out his solid gold Rolex and let me feel how heavy it was to impress me. It's all smoking mirrors with this company and I'm glad I left when I did. Most of the people I traveled with have quit now too.
Pros
Flexibility
Cons
All the managers literally the "cons"
Good company to work
Insurance Agent (Current Employee) –  Carmel, INJune 10, 2017
In a typical day its an easy work for something you work that you really like.I learned to communicate to people.Its a lot of driving.The hardest part of the job is that I am away from my family.I like this job because I enjoy talking to people.
Fun Career
Independent Insurance Contractor (Current Employee) –  IowaMay 16, 2017
This is a fun career that is a marathon, not a sprint. It takes time to be successful but there is no way you can't make six figures after your third year.
Good job company does what it promises
District Sales Manager (Former Employee) –  MichiganMay 12, 2017
I held this job for 7 years, would still be there except for a conflict with my Regional Manager. Good products, good commission. I could be enticed to go back.
Pros
Good bonuses
Cons
Made big changes necessary to get bonuses, cold calling
Over-Promise Under-Deliver
Insurance Agent (Current Employee) –  Los Angeles County, CAMay 1, 2017
The job description said $60,000-$80,000 a year. Maybe 5 years into it if the manager you work for assigns you to the best locations. If you aren't the manager's favorite then that income range is unrealistic.

Also, it should be noted they only have a handful relationships with anyone in Orange County. There's not enough of incentive for someone brand new to go out and establish those relationships. People who have been with the organization don't open up new groups because they don't know how to or they are too lazy to.
Bad company to work for.
Independent agent (PT) (Former Employee) –  MontanaApril 23, 2017
It is commission only, you have to use your own vehicle, they don't give you good teams of people that know what they are doing, AI lost more money than i made.
fun culture
Benefits Consultant - (Current Employee) –  Carmel, INApril 12, 2017
management was not the greatest, they were not as engaged as they should be. was more interested in houw much money they could earn instead of helping you learn the ins and outs of the business
Pros
great people
Cons
management not good
Good team environment, promote from within culture.
Corporate Recruiter (Current Employee) –  Carmel, INMarch 20, 2017
PMA has been a great place to work. They offer a ton of small benefits and perks to go along with the job. It's a very family oriented style team that I work with at corporate. This job isn't for everyone, but for the people that are motivated and stick to their training it can change people's lives!
Pros
Incentives, gift cards, team outings.
Cons
Healthcare coverage starts after 30 days of employment on the 1st day of the following month.
great place to work and the location is connected to Marta
Temp (Former Employee) –  Atlanta, GAMarch 9, 2017
Great company to work for if I had the opportunity to work with them again I would be pleased. The staff was like family. the only reason I an not there is the assignment was through a staffing agency.
Pros
Great moral and company outtings
Plenty of independence
District Manager (Current Employee) –  Cincinnati, OHFebruary 20, 2017
I have been working here for 3 years. The position is 1099 and though its certainly not for everyone, can be a rewarding experience as it teaches you to run your own insurance business.
Pros
flexibility, tax write offs for food, travel, expenses. Renewal income.
Cons
No benefits. Very tough to make money first few years.
Beware 1099 position
Relationship Manager (Former Employee) –  Boise, IDOctober 20, 2016
I was contacted for an interview and was lied to about the compensation. I was told prior to the interview that there was a base salary, upon arriving to the interview I cut right to the chase and found out that it was 1099 commission only. That might work for some but, if I asked not to be considered for commission only, why would they push me through the process anyway?

Very dishonest in my experience with them.
Horrible company to work for
Producer (Former Employee) –  LouisianaOctober 5, 2016
Beware. The training they offered on prospecting their client base was minimal, support from management was practically nonexistent and the company they represent will turn you into a collections agency for charge backs.
Great people to work with!
Strategic Consultant (Current Employee) –  Atlanta, GAJuly 8, 2016
This group is the real deal. They listen to their employees, my manager actually cares about me and they always do their part to ensure the work culture is a healthy one.
There Management was a complete joke
Sles (Former Employee) –  Iowa City, IAJuly 5, 2016
Had no idea what he was doing....When we were out at the same location...he took all the sales and left over the dregs.....It is completely laughable. BEWARE.

And then to make it worse...if they do pay you what was suppose to be $500 for their training...after you go on your way, you begin to get calls from a collection "attorney" threating you that you will have to repay something for making absolutely no money....only driving and wear and tear on your car.

The company is an absolute joke.
Pros
product sounds decent
Cons
mangement is a laughable as it can be
Good compensation but poor customer service and hostile work environment
Regional Sales Manager (Former Employee) –  Des Moines, IAApril 12, 2016
Poor management/training very little opportunity for advancement. Family is not important with this employer its all about what have you done for me lately.
1099 income
Insurance Sales Representative (Current Employee) –  Greenville, SCMarch 14, 2016
I needed more steady income than this company was able to afford me. Long-term I think it could have paid off, but short term the accounts they send you to are unreliable and the expenses involved in starting up can be overwhelming.

Ask a question about working or interviewing at PMA USA. Our community is ready to answer.

2.9