PMA USA Employee Reviews

Beware 1099 position
Relationship Manager (Former Employee) –  Boise, IDOctober 20, 2016
I was contacted for an interview and was lied to about the compensation. I was told prior to the interview that there was a base salary, upon arriving to the interview I cut right to the chase and found out that it was 1099 commission only. That might work for some but, if I asked not to be considered for commission only, why would they push me through the process anyway?

Very dishonest in my experience with them.
There Management was a complete joke
Sles (Former Employee) –  Iowa City, IAJuly 5, 2016
Had no idea what he was doing....When we were out at the same location...he took all the sales and left over the dregs.....It is completely laughable. BEWARE.

And then to make it worse...if they do pay you what was suppose to be $500 for their training...after you go on your way, you begin to get calls from a collection "attorney" threating you that you will have to repay something for making absolutely no money....only driving and wear and tear on your car.

The company is an absolute joke.
Pros
product sounds decent
Cons
mangement is a laughable as it can be
Horrible company to work for
Producer (Former Employee) –  LouisianaOctober 5, 2016
Beware. The training they offered on prospecting their client base was minimal, support from management was practically nonexistent and the company they represent will turn you into a collections agency for charge backs.
Poor management
Field Service Engineer (Former Employee) –  Orange, CASeptember 7, 2016
Poor managements and lack of organization. Had to repair equipment. Territory was basically half the united states with only one person to handle most of it.
Pros
Cons
expected to be in too many places at once.
Great people to work with!
Strategic Consultant (Current Employee) –  Atlanta, GAJuly 8, 2016
This group is the real deal. They listen to their employees, my manager actually cares about me and they always do their part to ensure the work culture is a healthy one.
Game Changer
State Manager (Current Employee) –  TNFebruary 22, 2016
I've been with PMA USA since 2005 and it's been a life changer for me. As a college dropout with no experience in sales, it allowed me to hit the ground running and keep growing.

I work Mon-Fri, never nights and weekends. It's never the same thing twice, although we follow a system in each workplace. My trainers and managers pointed me in the right direction through my first few months, and gave me the coaching or "kick in the rear" I needed.

It's not a get rich quick scheme, anyone applying here should be ready to work hard, but the people who step up will succeed.

Anyone looking for easy money and little workload should go elsewhere. If you're looking for an opportunity to make your own path and build a book of business that will pay you forever, this will be the right fit.
Pros
Compensation, flexibility, advancement
Cons
some travel, long hours
1099 income
Insurance Sales Representative (Current Employee) –  Greenville, SCMarch 14, 2016
I needed more steady income than this company was able to afford me. Long-term I think it could have paid off, but short term the accounts they send you to are unreliable and the expenses involved in starting up can be overwhelming.
Exciting Role
Direct Sales Representative (Former Employee) –  Hillside, NJDecember 20, 2015
Being a direct sales rep was an exciting and rewarding position. Everyday was a new adventure out on the field. Building relationships with customers was the focus of the job in my opinion. These fostered relationships lead to acquiring new customers, thus allowing me to reach my goal.
lots of expense not a lot of income
agent (Former Employee) –  South Dakota and MinnesotaSeptember 5, 2015
The managers there don't train you very well and throw you into the lake to let you sink or swim. Their ethics are questionable as well. I was told to do what I could to get the sale, if that meant to lie to the customer then do it (which is actually against the law to do). You pay your own way (gas, car, insurance, food, hotels, ect) which was about $400 a week just to go to work. Most of the people that worked there I got along with, but the managers only really cared about you if you were producing, if you were not they left you alone to fail instead of guiding you and training you to help you succeed.
Pros
Cons
everything
Not for most
Sales rep (Former Employee) –  OhioMarch 2, 2015
I was drawn in by promises of making my own schedule and huge financial gains. In the end I worked long days and drove constantly. The job involves a lot of cold-calling, which I was told there would be none of. All pay is commission based, so all expenses are out of pocket (hotels, meals, gas, etc.). The job involved deceptive sales tactics to convince people to buy an insurance product most of the sales reps know nothing about.
Pros
Saturdays and Sundays off
Cons
Deception, false promises, long days
Independent Sales Agent
Independent Sales Agent (Former Employee) –  Dubuque, IAMay 14, 2014
Was not at all what I was told the position would be. I was told it would be flexible, I would set my own schedule, I was my own boss. I accepted the job and my first 2 weeks I was working 9 a.m.-9-10 p.m. driving country roads all day looking for farmers to be home. This is most definitely cold calling to me. Working a 12-14 hour day is also not what I consider flexible hours or setting your own schedule. I left a good paying job for this company and now I'm unemployed because my husband didn't feel it was safe for me to just be showing up knocking on some strangers door.
Pros
Cons
No flexibility, coldcalling
Family Environment and great place to work
Corporate Recruiter (Current Employee) –  Dallas, TXFebruary 23, 2014
• Support State, Regional and District Managers with their recruiting and staffing needs.
• Generate new candidates through e-mails, cold calls, job ads and other sourcing techniques.
• Source, recruit, interview, and evaluate candidates based upon set qualifications.
• Procurement of new sourcing options.
• Prepare candidates for contracting/licensing process.
• Assisting Training department in development of agents.
Pros
Great people to work with
Cons
Professional Growth
Productive Customer Service
Agent Service Representative (Former Employee) –  CNO Financial GroupApril 29, 2012
Maintained critical records to get agents certificated: filing, coping, faxing, and sending fed ex's. I learned how to manage logisitics for event planning: air travel, ground travel, hotels and dinning. Co-workers were pleasant - family oriented atmosphere. The hardest part of the job was last minute shipments that had to be delivered to the after hour drop box. The must enjoyable part of the job was interacting with the agents and participating with the awards events.
Pros
great location, exciting company events, good compensation.
Cons
healthcare - deductable.
Opportunities were limited.
Independent Insurance Agent (Former Employee) –  Lakeland, FloridaMarch 19, 2013
Would go to locations were policies were currently inforce and try to upgrade current policy holders to better policies or offer benefits to new members. Job would have been better if there were more opportunities, but the locations and members already had almost 100% participation, so not a lot of members to help out with policies.
Pros
fairly flexible schedule
Cons
not as many opportunities to write new business as suggested.
How do these clowns who run the state operations stay in business?
Licensed Insurance Agent (Current Employee) –  Los Angeles, CAAugust 22, 2014
I was hired by a new group of managers who were brought in to bring some new life to the California market. Those managers may be living, but they certainly didn't know how to manager business and grow opportunity in a state like California. First off, they were young. Too young to know which end is up, and still don't know how to pronounce key California cities even after being here for a year! I was told by the state director "If you don't cold call a single day in this job, you'll still make a fine living..." If I didn't cold call in this job, I would be homeless and starving on the street! Everyone who has been hired this year is looking for another job, because we all realize we were sold a hill of beans!
Pros
There are none, REALLY!
Cons
After you get over how much misrepresenting and outright lying that is done to get you to thre job, it is a weekly list of ongoing "cons"
Incredible work environment, able to surround your self with true Sales Champions.
Regional Sales Manager (Current Employee) –  Des Moines, IAFebruary 18, 2015
Working for PMA is the life choice that I have ever made. I have finally found a home where I am judged only by my performance not just if the "cool Kids" like me. Anyone willing to work and make a short term sacrifice like I did will have a long term gain even though on average we only work 186 days a year. Like any compnay you have winners and pikers. The Company was straight forward with me about the Job, work schedule and the pay. They Pay weekly and on time. The most enjoyable part about the Job for Winners is freedom, Schedule, Financial, etc...the down side is not enough hours in a day. For Pikers the hardest part of the Job is every thing. They usually come out unprepared cannot keep up with the trainer due to lack of doing their homework they want something for nothing and when they do not get what they ask for or fail it is the everyone else's fault even though they are the only common denominator.
Pros
Freedom---Time and Financial
Cons
the occasional negative cowrker
diffucult work conditions traveling constantly
Independent Agent (Former Employee) –  National, WADecember 23, 2014
drive 4 to5 hours to site work all day, don't be taken in by slick promises and big talkers, co-workers were not within the best interests of each other
Pros
scenery
Cons
away from son too much
there are busy days and not so busy days
Office Clerk (Former Employee) –  Corona, caJune 21, 2015
loved talking to people on the phone
the customers and vendors were a great bunch to work with.
the co-workers and owners were great.
Exciting
Insurance Agent (Former Employee) –  Dallas, TXApril 17, 2015
To be able to meet new people and explain Insurance policies to them. The hardest part was "cold calling," knocking on the door to an uninvited house, and they would turn me away.
Productive Extensive Driving
Account Representative (Current Employee) –  Dallas, TXAugust 27, 2014
Work Hard Have Fun
Lots of help from co-workers
Management is helpful
Pros
Quality Products
Cons
Long Hours

Ask a question about working or interviewing at PMA USA. Our community is ready to answer.

2.9