PMA USA

PMA USA United States Employee Reviews

Long Days, Lots of Not Interested, Own Expense
Door to Door Insurance Sales Person (Former Employee), OklahomaApril 11, 2015
Pros: Talking to people
Cons: Poor Management, Slick Talkers, long hours, you spend your own money to cover expenses.
Company culture is sort of like an AmWay cult thing, everyone is all positive about selling, making sells and so on, turned me off.

Company management are ALL successful sales people, but many suck at the most basic management skills, lots of slick talkers, positive and upbeat, "You Can Do It" type people, but have a sliding moral scale, as long as you make the sale.

They tend to put their best sales people in the best areas so they are sure to make money, and the new people or weaker sales people get sent to the harder counties to sale in, pretty much trial by fire. If you can survive that, and sale, you can make it. The problem is surviving it.

Also, their training is weak, consisting of "ride around and watch me do this, and oh read and memorize this stuff". Again, sales people who do not know the first thing about training, teaching, much less anything else other than slick talking.

They tell you it is six weeks of paid training, at $500 a week, it is not. It is an advance and is taken out of your pay after you start making sales a little at time. Oh and you only get the $500 dollar advance for week five and six, IF you sold enough, then they give it to you.

Co-workers.... some were great, but others only see you as someone who is taking away sales they could get if you were not there.

District Managers, usually keep the best for themselves. The Regional Manager will "sweep" into your area every so often, sell a bunch of stuff and declare how easy that was, and leave, leaving you with the feeling he just took sales you could of had. State Managers, – more... they are all millionaires and could care less about you, and only look at total numbers sold. Oh and every one of your "managers" above you, are making money off your work, 7% each on up the line. So if you do this, try and become a DC ASAP, otherwise you are their milk cow.

Best part of the job was talking to many different people, and getting to know them as people. I like that a lot, but did not feel right pushing insurance on them, if they could not afford it or did not really want it.

Four day work week-Good
Gone from home those four days-bad
They pay quickly-good – less
Not for most
Sales rep (Former Employee), OhioMarch 2, 2015
Pros: saturdays and sundays off
Cons: deception, false promises, long days
I was drawn in by promises of making my own schedule and huge financial gains. In the end I worked long days and drove constantly. The job involves a lot of cold-calling, which I was told there would be none of. All pay is commission based, so all expenses are out of pocket (hotels, meals, gas, etc.). The job involved deceptive sales tactics to convince people to buy an insurance product most of the sales reps know nothing about.
Great job to earn a great living!
District Manager/Sales (Current Employee), Elkhart, ILFebruary 27, 2015
Pros: great pay, flexible schedule, great products, advancement op
Cons: underprepared new agents
I love my job. It was not the easiest thing in the world to get started but with help of my superiors I was trained well in the field and out of the field. We offer a superior product in a needy market and the product really sells itself.. I would recommend this job to anyone with the drive and work ethic to want to be better not just handed something better. I am rewarded quite well for what I do and their is no caps or limitations to what I can make or what I can achieve professionally. It truly was the opportunity of a lifetime and instead of letting it come to me, I went out and achieved it. My co-workers are a blast to be with most of the time and we have really become like family because we all know that we are in this together. The freedom and flexible time that come with this job are better than anything I have known in the past and I have had two of my own businesses prior to starting this at the age of 29. If you are looking for an opportunity where you have unlimited potential look no farther, because if you have the drive(some do some don't) this will make a better living for you and your family than you ever thought possible!
Incredible work environment, able to surround your self with true Sales Champions.
Regional Sales Manager (Current Employee), Des Moines, IAFebruary 18, 2015
Pros: freedom---time and financial
Cons: the occasional negative cowrker
Working for PMA is the life choice that I have ever made. I have finally found a home where I am judged only by my performance not just if the "cool Kids" like me. Anyone willing to work and make a short term sacrifice like I did will have a long term gain even though on average we only work 186 days a year. Like any compnay you have winners and pikers. The Company was straight forward with me about the Job, work schedule and the pay. They Pay weekly and on time. The most enjoyable part about the Job for Winners is freedom, Schedule, Financial, etc...the down side is not enough hours in a day. For Pikers the hardest part of the Job is every thing. They usually come out unprepared cannot keep up with the trainer due to lack of doing their homework they want something for nothing and when they do not get what they ask for or fail it is the everyone else's fault even though they are the only common denominator.
diffucult work conditions traveling constantly
Independent Agent (Former Employee), National, WADecember 23, 2014
Pros: scenery
Cons: away from son too much
drive 4 to5 hours to site work all day, don't be taken in by slick promises and big talkers, co-workers were not within the best interests of each other
Productive Extensive Driving
Account Representative (Current Employee), Dallas, TXAugust 27, 2014
Pros: quality products
Cons: long hours
Work Hard Have Fun
Lots of help from co-workers
Management is helpful
How do these clowns who run the state operations stay in business?
Licensed Insurance Agent (Current Employee), Los Angeles, CAAugust 22, 2014
Pros: there are none, really!
Cons: after you get over how much misrepresenting and outright lying that is done to get you to thre job, it is a weekly list of ongoing "cons"
I was hired by a new group of managers who were brought in to bring some new life to the California market. Those managers may be living, but they certainly didn't know how to manager business and grow opportunity in a state like California. First off, they were young. Too young to know which end is up, and still don't know how to pronounce key California cities even after being here for a year! I was told by the state director "If you don't cold call a single day in this job, you'll still make a fine living..." If I didn't cold call in this job, I would be homeless and starving on the street! Everyone who has been hired this year is looking for another job, because we all realize we were sold a hill of beans!
Independent Sales Agent
Independent Sales Agent (Former Employee), Dubuque, IAMay 14, 2014
Cons: no flexibility, coldcalling
Was not at all what I was told the position would be. I was told it would be flexible, I would set my own schedule, I was my own boss. I accepted the job and my first 2 weeks I was working 9 a.m.-9-10 p.m. driving country roads all day looking for farmers to be home. This is most definitely cold calling to me. Working a 12-14 hour day is also not what I consider flexible hours or setting your own schedule. I left a good paying job for this company and now I'm unemployed because my husband didn't feel it was safe for me to just be showing up knocking on some strangers door.
Family Environment and great place to work
Corporate Recruiter (Current Employee), Dallas, TXFebruary 23, 2014
Pros: great people to work with
Cons: professional growth
• Support State, Regional and District Managers with their recruiting and staffing needs.
• Generate new candidates through e-mails, cold calls, job ads and other sourcing techniques.
• Source, recruit, interview, and evaluate candidates based upon set qualifications.
• Procurement of new sourcing options.
• Prepare candidates for contracting/licensing process.
• Assisting Training department in development of agents.
Opportunities were limited.
Independent Insurance Agent (Former Employee), Lakeland, FloridaMarch 19, 2013
Pros: fairly flexible schedule
Cons: not as many opportunities to write new business as suggested.
Would go to locations were policies were currently inforce and try to upgrade current policy holders to better policies or offer benefits to new members. Job would have been better if there were more opportunities, but the locations and members already had almost 100% participation, so not a lot of members to help out with policies.
Productive Customer Service
Agent Service Representative (Former Employee), CNO Financial GroupApril 29, 2012
Pros: great location, exciting company events, good compensation.
Cons: healthcare - deductable.
Maintained critical records to get agents certificated: filing, coping, faxing, and sending fed ex's. I learned how to manage logisitics for event planning: air travel, ground travel, hotels and dinning. Co-workers were pleasant - family oriented atmosphere. The hardest part of the job was last minute shipments that had to be delivered to the after hour drop box. The must enjoyable part of the job was interacting with the agents and participating with the awards events.

About PMA USA

Who we are PMA USA, headquartered in Dallas, Texas is a national company that provides insurance benefits solutions and markets – Read more

PMA USA Salaries