Point Loma Nazarene University Employee Reviews

Awesome workplace and great student/professor relationships
Paid summer internship (Former Employee) –  San Diego, CAAugust 29, 2016
This university is an amazing place to work and learn. The professors allowed us to work independently under supervision to allow us to control our lab environment and the instruments we were using. They allowed us to perform our own experiments. I learned a lot about lab techniques and computer programming languages.
Great times
Writing Tutor (Former Employee) –  San Diego, CAAugust 22, 2016
From the top down, the experience working here was fantastic. As a writing tutor I was able to interact, on a professional level, with both peers and professors. Those interactions taught me how to act at a variety of levels within an organization and manage the resources available to me to their fullest potential.
Good School and Employer
Student Officer (Former Employee) –  San Diego, CAJuly 8, 2016
I enjoyed working for and going to this school. They try hard to be good to us and it worked well for my friends and me. I would definitely work there again if it came to me.
Scanner
Scanner (Former Employee) –  San Diego, CAMay 17, 2016
Great and easy job. You just have to keep a happy face and be willing to help any of the students who are lost or just have questions. You get to meet a lot of people.
Amazing Place to Work
Infrastructure Services Intern (Current Employee) –  San Diego, CANovember 3, 2015
PLNU is the best place you could ever work. Great co-workers and amazing environment.You will have a lot asked of you but great reward.
Fun to work at, good working environment
Custodian (Former Employee) –  San Diego, CAAugust 14, 2015
Supervisors are always willing to help you if you have trouble. The staff is very accommodating and always encourage you to do your best. Safe working environment with hardly any stress.
Great experience learning new things and while working with others.
Teachers Assistant (Former Employee) –  San Diego, CAJuly 16, 2015
Rewarding and challenging environment with tons of support while on the job. Accountability, patience, and organization allowed me to grow my professional expertise from this position.
Beautiful place Not fast to change
Accountant (Former Employee) –  San DiegoMarch 13, 2015
Beautiful place to work. Salary not too good. Management needs to work with staff better. Employee are caring. Not fast to change things
Pros
Caring environment Good benefits
Cons
Not fast to change Lots of family connections
Fun and varied work
General Physics Lab Assistant (Former Employee) –  San Diego, CAJanuary 16, 2015
First I set up the lab equipment for the students to use. I gained a greater understanding of the content in the labs by having to explain the concepts. The hardest part was grading the labs off of a key that I had to obtain the correct answers for.
Pros
Good atmosphere
Cons
Poor hours
Exceptional Staff
Community Service Officer (Current Employee) –  San Diego, CAJanuary 5, 2015
Overall, working at PLNU has been a great experience. I have a great team of people to work with that really help you be the best you can be. If I could stay I would, but it is time to begin a new career with my degree in Accounting.
Pros
Great Pay, Great Team Members, Great Supervisors
Easy to get along with the staff
Public Safety Officer (Former Employee) –  San Diego, CADecember 26, 2014
Enjoyable part of the day: interacting with others, knowing that your presence is known throughout the campus.
Wonderful people and I enjoyed the work
System Support Specialist (Former Employee) –  San Diego, CANovember 20, 2014
The best things about working at Point Loma Nazarene University are the wonderful people. I enjoyed my work and how my immediate supervisor helped to coach and train me. It is also a BEAUTIFUL place to work and had excellent benefits. I would highly recommend PLNU as a place to either work or continue your education!
Pros
Caring atmosphere, people, being able to help people
Cons
trimming work force
The Poorest Professional Experience I've Ever Had
employee (Former Employee) –  San DiegoNovember 16, 2014
Terrible management, everyone is to busy trying to convince everyone else that they're the best thing around. PLNU pays bottom dollar and they have bottom dollar, especially in their management. I've seen employees and students berated, yelled at, and insulted by staff with no recourse. I brought these concerns to both management and hr and nothing came off it.

In my time there I was told by the dean of students to lie to students and their parents. Regularly received contradictory instructions, had my work stolen and presented by others, received no credit for going above and beyond and lied to more times than I could track.

If you're a fan of tireless bureaucracy, have limited or no aspirations for advancement, are not interested in a fair wage, and don't mind being used and abused then PLNU offers decent vacation time and a nice view.
Pros
PTO, view
Cons
limited advancement, poor management, poor pay, poor ethics
Supportive and Encouraging
Transfer Activities Group Coordinator (Former Employee) –  San Diego, CAOctober 18, 2014
My time spent working with the TAG program paved the way for any managerial skills required of future positions; combining safety, efficiency, effectiveness will ensure success of any team project.
Pros
Too many to list.
Fast-paced and fun workplace
Media Services Technician (Former Employee) –  San Diego, CAMay 20, 2014
As a Media Services Technician I was charged with answering all questions brought forth by students, faculty and staff regarding any technological media. Along with this, I also had the opportunity to set up and run audio and visual equipment for scheduled events on and off the college campus. These events included weddings, student functions, as well as official meetings of the University Board of Trustees.
Great location and great culture
Employee (Former Employee) –  San Diego, CAJanuary 20, 2014
PLNU is a great place to work. The location is heavenly and the people are generally very supportive.
Pros
Location, Benefits, Christian Atmosphere
Awesome people, awesome view, awesome culture! Pay not so good.
Multiple Positions (Former Employee) –  San Diego, CAOctober 7, 2013
Point Loma treats their employees well. Most of them work from 8am-4:30pm. the way it is managed is different in every department, but overall it is well managed. Some of the nicest and most generous people work there. However, some of the most snooty people you'll ever meet work there as well. Overall, it is a great place with great people. The hardest part is dealing with the low pay and slow advancement. Everything of that nature runs through an HR department that is trying to run an entire university... they are not very concerned with a low-end employee's individual effort. They usually give raises across the board (i.e. this year all employees received a $70 a month pay increase) that is not based on merit but based on how much money they have to appease their workers.
Pros
Awesome location, people, and culture. Job security.
Cons
Pay and advancement.
Perfect Student Work Experience
Building Communications Manager (Former Employee) –  San Diego, CAJuly 1, 2013
This position was the perfect position to hold while in school. I loved the work experience, the managerial staff, and my coworkers.
great work experience with great workers
Orioles organization, Aberdeen MD (Current Employee) –  San Diego, CAJune 7, 2013
We would set up the field for games, break down the field after games, and work on the field in between games. We would cut the grass, weed eat all around the athletic facilities. I learned how to manage multiple fields and playing venues, while developing good work relationships. It was a pretty easy job because it involved being around athletics and the fields, which I love.
Pros
we got free lunches on game day, being around baseball all the time
Cons
not many benefits
Productive workplace serving the school.
Media Services Student Technician (Former Employee) –  San Diego, CAMay 8, 2013
Laid back work environment with supervisors who make the job fun and efficient. Flexible hours and accommodating to the busy schedule of a full time college student.

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Point Loma Nazarene University. Our community is ready to answer.

4.3