Point Loma Nazarene University Employee Reviews

Great experience learning new things and while working with others.
Teachers Assistant (Former Employee), San Diego, CAJuly 16, 2015
Rewarding and challenging environment with tons of support while on the job. Accountability, patience, and organization allowed me to grow my professional expertise from this position.
Beautiful place Not fast to change
Accountant (Former Employee), San DiegoMarch 13, 2015
Pros: caring environment good benefits
Cons: not fast to change lots of family connections
Beautiful place to work. Salary not too good. Management needs to work with staff better. Employee are caring. Not fast to change things
Fun and varied work
General Physics Lab Assistant (Former Employee), San Diego, CAJanuary 16, 2015
Pros: good atmosphere
Cons: poor hours
First I set up the lab equipment for the students to use. I gained a greater understanding of the content in the labs by having to explain the concepts. The hardest part was grading the labs off of a key that I had to obtain the correct answers for.
Exceptional Staff
Community Service Officer (Current Employee), San Diego, CAJanuary 5, 2015
Pros: great pay, great team members, great supervisors
Overall, working at PLNU has been a great experience. I have a great team of people to work with that really help you be the best you can be. If I could stay I would, but it is time to begin a new career with my degree in Accounting.
Easy to get along with the staff
Public Safety Officer (Former Employee), San Diego, CADecember 26, 2014
Enjoyable part of the day: interacting with others, knowing that your presence is known throughout the campus.
Wonderful people and I enjoyed the work
System Support Specialist (Former Employee), San Diego, CANovember 20, 2014
Pros: caring atmosphere, people, being able to help people
Cons: trimming work force
The best things about working at Point Loma Nazarene University are the wonderful people. I enjoyed my work and how my immediate supervisor helped to coach and train me. It is also a BEAUTIFUL place to work and had excellent benefits. I would highly recommend PLNU as a place to either work or continue your education!
The Poorest Professional Experience I've Ever Had
employee (Former Employee), San DiegoNovember 16, 2014
Pros: pto, view
Cons: limited advancement, poor management, poor pay, poor ethics
Terrible management, everyone is to busy trying to convince everyone else that they're the best thing around. PLNU pays bottom dollar and they have bottom dollar, especially in their management. I've seen employees and students berated, yelled at, and insulted by staff with no recourse. I brought these concerns to both management and hr and nothing came off it.

In my time there I was told by the dean of students to lie to students and their parents. Regularly received contradictory instructions, had my work stolen and presented by others, received no credit for going above and beyond and lied to more times than I could track.

If you're a fan of tireless bureaucracy, have limited or no aspirations for advancement, are not interested in a fair wage, and don't mind being used and abused then PLNU offers decent vacation time and a nice view.
Supportive and Encouraging
Transfer Activities Group Coordinator (Former Employee), San Diego, CAOctober 18, 2014
Pros: too many to list.
My time spent working with the TAG program paved the way for any managerial skills required of future positions; combining safety, efficiency, effectiveness will ensure success of any team project.
Fast-paced and fun workplace
Media Services Technician (Former Employee), San Diego, CAMay 20, 2014
As a Media Services Technician I was charged with answering all questions brought forth by students, faculty and staff regarding any technological media. Along with this, I also had the opportunity to set up and run audio and visual equipment for scheduled events on and off the college campus. These events included weddings, student functions, as well as official meetings of the University Board of Trustees.
Great location and great culture
Employee (Former Employee), San Diego, CAJanuary 20, 2014
Pros: location, benefits, christian atmosphere
PLNU is a great place to work. The location is heavenly and the people are generally very supportive.
Awesome people, awesome view, awesome culture! Pay not so good.
Multiple Positions (Former Employee), San Diego, CAOctober 7, 2013
Pros: awesome location, people, and culture. job security.
Cons: pay and advancement.
Point Loma treats their employees well. Most of them work from 8am-4:30pm. the way it is managed is different in every department, but overall it is well managed. Some of the nicest and most generous people work there. However, some of the most snooty people you'll ever meet work there as well. Overall, it is a great place with great people. The hardest part is dealing with the low pay and slow advancement. Everything of that nature runs through an HR department that is trying to run an entire university... they are not very concerned with a low-end employee's individual effort. They usually give raises across the board (i.e. this year all employees received a $70 a month pay increase) that is not based on merit but based on how much money they have to appease their workers.
Perfect Student Work Experience
Building Communications Manager (Former Employee), San Diego, CAJuly 1, 2013
This position was the perfect position to hold while in school. I loved the work experience, the managerial staff, and my coworkers.
great work experience with great workers
Orioles organization, Aberdeen MD (Current Employee), San Diego, CAJune 7, 2013
Pros: we got free lunches on game day, being around baseball all the time
Cons: not many benefits
We would set up the field for games, break down the field after games, and work on the field in between games. We would cut the grass, weed eat all around the athletic facilities. I learned how to manage multiple fields and playing venues, while developing good work relationships. It was a pretty easy job because it involved being around athletics and the fields, which I love.
Productive workplace serving the school.
Media Services Student Technician (Former Employee), San Diego, CAMay 8, 2013
Laid back work environment with supervisors who make the job fun and efficient. Flexible hours and accommodating to the busy schedule of a full time college student.
Poor pay, communication
External relations (Former Employee), San DiegoFebruary 22, 2013
Pros: beautiful campus
Cons: poor communication, follow up
Not communicative, once they are done with you, you don't exist
Watch out if you're looking for fair pay!
department assistant (Former Employee), PLNU main campusFebruary 19, 2013
There are a lot of nice things about working for PLNU but pay and chance for advancement aren't included! There is no staff support due to a problematic division between faculty and staff. Staff are definitely treated as second best on this campus. It's interesting, especially since the campus is supposed to be Christian-based.
Productive enjoyable flexible workday
Statistical Analyst (Former Employee), San Diego, CADecember 18, 2012
Pros: management, compensation, team work, experiance
Cons: schedule, games where at 4-5 am.
We would watch world cup soccer games and rate players and then implement the ratings to an online website to be shared around the world. I learned how to lead a group of 5 individuals, to be quick on my toes when making decisions and to be very detailed and organized. Management was great and very fluid. The hardest part of the job was to take on extra job roles for absent employees. All around the job was a great experience and I learned a lot in the process.
Active and enthusiastic environment working with both students and faculty.
Receptionist/Administrative Assistant (Former Employee), Point Loma, CAOctober 18, 2012
Pros: flexible hours, breaks, variety of work
Cons: pay, healthcare
On a typical day of work I fielded incoming calls, scheduled meetings, assisted in planning/coordinating business events, made travel arrangements, data entry, customer service.
I worked in the business center of my University so I had contact with both community and internal businesses and people. I worked directly under my employer and created a professional and comfortable relationship with my fellow employees. There was a rotation of other student workers who came in at various times during the day, so I learned to work well with a variety of individuals. The most challenging part of the job was keeping all the moving parts of the job in sync and relatable to everyone working on our team. It was very enjoyable to have such close relationships with both my superiors and co-workers.
What an awesome place to work for
Resident Assistant (Former Employee), San Diego, CAAugust 28, 2012
My job was fantastic, I worked as a Resident assistant for 2 years in the dormitories. I loved every second of my job.
Good job for a student
Media and Web Services Employee (Former Employee), San Diego, CAAugust 27, 2012
Pros: work around schedule
Cons: only 20 hrs a week max, no benefits
Working for Point Loma while going to school there is really a great deal. There are no benefits other than it can work around your school schedule but other than that there's aren't really any cons.