Points of Light Employee Reviews

Volunteer
Volunteer In Service to America (Former Employee) –  Miami, FLDecember 14, 2016
working with the non-profit sector and assisting in mentoring young adults was the best work I've ever been apart of. Know there's a difference to be made.
Small non-profit
Administrative Manager to CFAO Office (Former Employee) –  Atlanta, GAJuly 15, 2016
Very small non-profit that lacked good leadership. The company is in need of policies and procedures. Not well organized making it a chaotic work environment. Consistency in operations was lacking.
Mission driven organization
President (Current Employee) –  Atlanta, GAMarch 4, 2016
Points of Light is committed to helping every person regardless of status or circumstance find a meaningful way to contribute to positive change in their community. I have enjoyed working alongside people who are committed, passionate, and hard working. The organization has a strong board of directors who drive the overall effectiveness of the organization. It is the drive of the board and the CEO that makes the work difficult on occassion as the organization is overly ambitious and does not always have sufficient resources to accomplish the grand vision.
Pros
flexible schedules, talented workforce
Cons
long hours, lofty goals
Mission-driven Organization with Caring Colleagues
Senior Manager (Current Employee) –  Atlanta, GADecember 21, 2015
If you are an entrepreneurial professional with a high comfort for ambiguity and change and a passion to change the world through the power of citizen engagement, Points of Light is for you. A typical day at work is filled with meetings, brainstorming and a hard drive to execute against ambitious goals. Management is focused on the big picture social goals of the organization, and not necessarily the processes and details around staff training, recognition or career advancement of younger staff. Co-workers are talented and driven. The hardest part of my job was to build the airplane while flying it. The most enjoyable part of my job was to reflect on the successes of an effort that was wholly conceived of, designed and executed by me.
Overcome weakness
Director (Former Employee) –  Oakland, CADecember 8, 2015
Paper works to dealing with conflict resolutions to directing a company under supervision has taught me how to balance my abilities in keeping a professional manner in the chaos of worlds. Working under pressure was a weakness of mine because I saw that if I didn't get things done the way I expected it to I would put myself down, my confidence gone in seconds of feeling like a failure. Not a good feeling at all. I couldn't allow that disease to infect my job any further so I had to accept what is out of my control and re-evaluate my abilities to manage in the best way possible to do my job -- first things first, breathe. Working under pressure was a weakness I overcame and I felt unstoppable from that moment on.
Smoke and Mirrors
Manager, Corporate Employee Volunteerism (Former Employee) –  Atlanta, GAMay 28, 2015
It's all smoke and mirrors at Points of Light. The appearance of the organization is great to the external world. Once you get behind the curtain, you realize it's not what you thought.
Top heavy organization
Manager (Current Employee) –  Washington, DCFebruary 9, 2015
Points of Light is a volunteer focused organization where almost none of the staff regularly engage in volunteer service and where the ratio of staff to senior leadership (VP or higher) is almost 1:1. I would not recommend this organization for anything other than entry level positions.
Pros
Good networking opportunity
Cons
Terrible work/life balance, no opportunity to advance from within
Productive and challenging place to be
MANAGER (Current Employee) –  Atlanta, GAAugust 23, 2014
It is a very fast-paced environment with co-workers that keep you smiling and laughing. The work is not monotonous, and each day is not the same. There are new challenges every day that definitely keep you on your toes.
A great work environment with people who care
Knowledge Management Intern (Former Employee) –  Atlanta, GAJuly 28, 2014
The employees really believe in the work that they do and find ways to include everybody. Management is great for such a large organization.
Hardworking and passionate staff
Marketing Intern (Current Employee) –  Atlanta, GAFebruary 25, 2014
When office feels like home. And all co-workers are a family
Best atmosphere I've ever worked in.
Development Intern (Former Employee) –  Atlanta, GAAugust 1, 2013
.Conduct marketing and business research for CSR match with POL program objectives
.Create information briefs on corporate funding initiatives
. Pull 990s and annual reports for review; in-depth on-line research via linked-in for individuals and companies
.Provide data entry services for various departments within the organization
.Answer phone calls and make cold call requests in a professional manner
. Supported the “9/11 National Day of Remembrance and Service” event with calls to congressman
Pros
Limitless opportunities to be creative and innovative in your individual work.
Cons
Culture of loners and people that like to stay to themselves.
Growing Nonprofit
Director, Partnerships and Global Initiatives (Former Employee) –  New York, NYJune 11, 2013
A growing nonprofit with management challenges. Headquartered in Atlanta with key offices in New York and D.C.
Productive and fun workplace, putting the people at the center of change.
Project Manager (Former Employee) –  Atlanta, GAJanuary 29, 2013
Great organization to dive into the non-profit world and being able to take ownership of a program.
Great work place, friendly and productive.
Project Manager/Consultant (Current Employee) –  Atlanta, GAMay 20, 2012
Very relaxed environment, work hours flexible and casual dress code. Work was accomplished and success was rewarded. Co-workers were friendly and always helpful. The most enjoyable part was working on projects that helped people better their community.

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Points of Light. Our community is ready to answer.