POLICE ATHLETIC LEAGUE Employee Reviews

Job Security but low salary and little opportunity for job growth
Manager of Food Services (Former Employee) –  Brooklyn, NYJanuary 16, 2017
The Police Athletic League, Inc. is a fairly good workplace in terms of job security. However, the salary is well below the average for similar positions at other non-profit organizations. There is also very little opportunity for job growth. The staff at headquarters were okay but certain functions seem to be only for 'special' employees. The most enjoyable part of the job was not being micro-managed.
Pros
Job security and being allowed to do your work without being micro-managed
Cons
Low salary and lack of opportunity for career advancement
Competitive Atmosphere that is rich in culture
Resource Coordinator (Current Employee) –  St. Albans, NYJuly 14, 2016
The Police Athletic League has a great balance of fun and academics to overall enrich the lives of inner city youth as well as adults. Its more than just a place to keep people of the streets and from trouble. Its a place specifically geared to develop strong minds, healthy bodies and eventually produce cultured individuals.
Pros
Expand your mind, meet new people, exciting events
Cons
Redundant culure, predicatable, Little room for growth, no benefits unless full time staff, feels like a click
good interactive day working with the students.
Group leader (Former Employee) –  Bronx, NYDecember 27, 2016
a typical day at work starts with clocking in and setting up your supplies for the students that you working with at the day in time.
working there has taught me that not all student like doing the same active. so you have to adopt to your student likes and dislikes.
management is mostly a good group of people that was great to work for and understanding of the leaders that they work with. some co-workers are good to work with and some are bad to work along side.one of the hardest part of the job is making sure the students understand the the lessons. the most enjoyable part is the game that me and the student make up.
A space to Empower students
Adolescent Services Liaison (Former Employee) –  Queens, NYFebruary 3, 2017
I was able to impact 70 at-risk teens by conducting college and job readiness workshops. However, the highlight was the amount of community service that we were able to have the teens participate in like Garden of Dreams prom where our teens were prom dates for children with terminal illnesses, Donating Prom dresses for high school seniors who cannot afford them, making caring packages for the homeless, and also I was able to create an urban garden to help the local community learn about healthy lifestyles. I found the director to be extremely supportive and they created a family environment.
Not incredibly hetic, a little rough around the edges
Group Leader, Activity Specialist (Current Employee) –  Brooklyn, NYJanuary 16, 2016
I go in and leave the same time everyday. The job in itself is great, working with Children and Teenagers has its challenges, but once you get past the walls and make an impact, its rewarding! I enjoy that they understand even with my stern demeanor, I love what I do and I'm there for them. One con is having to deal with whatever the bring to the table, even when you start losing your patience, to remember why you're there and have used all possible solutions to handle problems that may arise. I get along with all my coworkers and management has gotten better.
Pros
Building relationships
Cons
partime, no breaks, no benefits, hard to get overtime
Great working enviroment
File Clerk/ Assistant Office Manager (Current Employee) –  Brooklyn, NYMay 17, 2016
Community center environment great neighborhood children.
Management and staff work as a team to promote growth, learning and fun activities for the children to be.
Pros
Pay, flexible schedule
Cons
No benefits
Productive and Fun work place for teens and adults
Youth Development Specialist & Front Desk Clerk (Current Employee) –  552 West 52nd StreetMarch 9, 2017
Interact and engage in various activities and trips with children
Ive learned every child is different and needs different attention and needs , patients is key , have fun is the most important thing along with having a connection with each child .
Coworkers are great we all get along and help each other when needed. We are a big family .
Horrible Job Culture
Program Director (Former Employee) –  Jamaica, NYJanuary 2, 2017
This is an organization that really drains you from all directions. Leadership is severely flawed, systems and processes are EXTREMELY OUTDATED, and there is little regard for time and prioritization.
Pros
Experience
Cons
Poor Management
Workplace
Program Coordinator (Former Employee) –  Brooklyn, NYJanuary 25, 2017
Coworkers are great, the administration horrible, and they don't have any organization. They give petite money and expect you to give your all when you don't get anything in return but bus fare
Pros
Great culture
Cons
Administration Dumb
Productive & Energetic
cleaning and acting (Former Employee) –  New York, NYSeptember 15, 2016
My typical day at work would be come in the morning or afternoon and help with other co workers to set up the wiz play in the auditorium that we participated in. For instance I had to act as the lion and we had scrips we had to remember everyday so we could perform at the end of the summer but that got ruined at the last second.Besides that at the end of the day we had to clean such as sweep,pick up the trash clean the stage off & take the trash out & that's about it.The hardest part was the actual acting parts I had to do like I had to sing the lion song solo in the spotlight & that was my first time.I enjoyed actually becoming comfortable with everybody & improve everyday.

Want to know more about POLICE ATHLETIC LEAGUE?

Ask a question
Organize and lead a variety of small and large group activities each week. Activities may include crafts, nature, songs, games, opening and closing c
Camp Counselor (Seasonal) (Former Employee) –  Brooklyn, NYJanuary 10, 2017
It was a fun, beneficial, and memorable experience. The children were fun to work with it was like having my own little brothers and sisters. The environment was friendly and family oriented.
productive and fun
Group Leader (Current Employee) –  Bronx, NYFebruary 22, 2017
vThe Police Athletic League, Inc. is an independent, non-profit youth development agency in New York City. PAL is funded by a combination of private donations and public funding sources and is a designated charity of the New York Police Department
Volunteer Work
BASKETBALL CAMP COUNSELOR (Former Employee) –  Titusville, FLFebruary 12, 2017
I enjoyed teaching the children how to play basketball. This experience kept me in shape and energized. I would recommend this camp to children who wants to play basketball.
Pros
Flexible schedule, coworker, discount
Cons
rude customers
Great
Group Leader (Former Employee) –  Bronx, NYNovember 6, 2016
Great exposure to working with kids. Allow you to recognize if childcare is the right career path for you. Job was in the bronx. Handle a group of 16+ k-5 graders.
fun work place
Counselor/ Front desk receptionist (Former Employee) –  New York, NYSeptember 7, 2016
Working in P.A.L was always fun . Nothing but positive energy . Everyone gets along well. I have never had an issue with the kids or the coworkers . Management runs smoothly in the building . Everyone is basically doing their job while having fun at it .
Pros
free lunches, snacks, trips, activities
Cons
everything runs on a budget
Productive day at the job
INTERN (Former Employee) –  Jamaica, NYJanuary 9, 2017
usually worked after school. a typical day at the job usually involves helping children as an intern. Co-workers help along the way with no difficulty.
Great expierence with kids
Internship (Current Employee) –  Bronx, NYNovember 2, 2016
The job is a great job.I learned patient, additionally how to work with people. Everyone is friendly and kind.The most enjoyable part of the job was I grew and watch the kids grow.The hardest part about the job was leaving due to the facts an internship.
Pal
Adult Counselor (Former Employee) –  Atlantic City, NJOctober 16, 2016
Very friendly, Great team work. Everyone their seems to get a long and very helpful. There is never a day that goes by with someone angry or having a bad day. People walk in smiling and leave smiling, just walking in that place you feel a great welcoming just waiting for you
great
Youth Coordinator (Former Employee) –  Dunn, NCOctober 7, 2016
Great place to work at. I was able to grow through helping others to reach a common goal. This job put me a position where the rewards was not about the pay but about making a difference in small ways that produced big results
A fun place to work
Head Counselor (Former Employee) –  Jamaica, NYDecember 11, 2013
A typical day at work involved preparing for a group of 20 -25 children as they entered their after school program. After preparing, the children are escorted to various sessions where they engage in sports and, Art and Craft among other activities. I learned to interact with children of various age groups and stress management. Management and co- workers created a fun filled and relaxing environment for staff to excel. The most enjoyable part of the job was seeing the children you have worked with develop and being acknowledged by their parents.
Pros
Motivating and fun
Cons
Part time, no benefits

Ask a question about working or interviewing at POLICE ATHLETIC LEAGUE. Our community is ready to answer.

83%