Police Department Employee Reviews

Very Productive Work Place
Intern (Former Employee) –  Washington, DCAugust 21, 2016
being an intern there was amazingly life changing. I was able to meet new people and also learn about the advantages and disadvantages of being an officer. I also learned different laws and how to practice my amendments when pulled over by a cop.
Pros
free lunch, new experience, met new people
Cons
having to be outside, taking alot of notes, barely get a break
very active
School Safety Sergeant/Level lll Agent (Former Employee) –  New York, NYMarch 1, 2016
Enjoy meeting new people everyday. lots of training. enjoying working with students and staff in a school. learn how work under pressure. you must put in a lot of overtime to see a good paycheck. work in every borough in new york city.
Pros
meeting new people and great benefits
Cons
no pay raise annually, must do a lot overtime. poor management
Wonderful experience
Police Cadet and Internship (Former Employee) –  Corpus Christi, TXJanuary 12, 2016
Very Type A personalities, as they have to be, to be in the police field. I Love the camaraderie and the challenges that come with the job
Very productive days/ learned to care for people and society/ great tem-work/ is not easy to ID bodies but, love the fiield since I was 5 yrs. old.
Police Officer (Former Employee) –  PRSeptember 3, 2015
Very exciting place. I had a very supportive management. Very hard work but, very fulfilling and always protected the civilians and made a difference fighting crime and enforcing laws with justice, love and dignity. I had the opportunity to developed to the position of Lieutenant. Develop to be a Main Leader at my Police Department. Served for 33 yrs. with love and respect. I was always very dedicated. punctual, very diligent, responsible and always willing to run the extra mile. Willing to have schedule flexibility. The experience was the best one in my life.
Pros
Passion for the position, growth, great management and work-team.
Cons
Very variable Shifts.
Long hours and short staff no support system and not open to new ideas
Police Records Clerk (Former Employee) –  City of AvondaleJuly 21, 2015
A typical day at work is 7am to 6pm non-stop customer calls, complaints and order of protections. I learned the A.R.S. codes for police citations and accidents. Management is horrible. They are not open to new ideas or change. They do not believe in being customer service oriented nor do they believe in asking for help. Management is terrible. I've never experienced a high volume of gossip and sarcasm in any job than at the Police Department. Management likes to talk badly about their employees to other co-workers. Co-workers were lazy and not productive. The hardest part of the job was the long hours and everyday load of work was to much for one person to complete, there was always holdovers of never ending scanning and data entry. The most enjoyable part of the job was working side by side with the Police Officers. They worked so hard and were so very kind to the public and to their co-workers.
Pros
Great job to work with Officers
Cons
Management is terrible.
Productive and Informational Workplace
Summer at Youth Enrichment Program (Former Employee) –  Lanham, MDJune 12, 2015
-Filing, Typing, and answering phone calls.
-I learned about the requirements of the police academy.
-I had one co-worker.
-I had the opportunity to meet new people.
-The job was great because it gave me the opportunity to be in a new environment.
Pros
opportunity to meet police officers and learn new information
Cons
only summer job
Productive, helping bring closure to grieving families.
Lieutenant (Current Employee) –  Memphis, TNMay 23, 2015
We have a morning staff meeting daily with upper management.
Met with my staff everyone morning to review cases. Management is easy to work with and approachable. Co-workers are a close knit group due to the fact we spend countless hours together at work. dealing with the death of a child or elderly person. Helping bring closure to a grieving family.
Pros
Meeting people from different life backgrounds.
Cons
Some days very long work hours.
Fun Place
Patrol Officer (Current Employee) –  Texarkana, ARDecember 3, 2014
I learned an awful lot and each day was different than the last. I was taught many important principles.
Pros
fun
Cons
long days
Good people with work with !
Deputy Chief of Police (Former Employee) –  Bellwood Police DepartmentJuly 14, 2014
Very diverse community, learned a lot form the community and the employees.
Pros
great people to work with
Other employees as a whole, helpful and easy to work with.
Receptionist, typist. (Former Employee) –  Newburgh, NYMarch 6, 2014
Most other fellow employees were easy and helpful. Some became like family. Management was gnerally pleasant but, as they had to be, tough.
Pros
other employees helpful.
Cons
the public was very difficult at times.
Learned a lot about saving animals and people
Public Safety Volunteer (Current Employee) –  Colorado Springs, COOctober 28, 2013
good work environment, gain teamwork skills,survival skills.
Duties & Responsibilities
Communications Unit Supervisor (Former Employee) –  Kansas City, MOJuly 31, 2013
Plan, organize, and direct human and material resources in response to requests for
emergency and non-emergency services. Supervised from twenty-two to thirty-six
subordinates. Responsible for reliable, accurate, and efficient operations of telephone
systems to receive and process requests for service from both the public and department
members. Responsible for court testimony pertaining to the maintenance and custody of
recorded transmissions. Supervised and trained unit personnel including handling personnel
issues, internal grievances, and complaints from citizens and/or field officers. Monitored unit
personnel to ensure implementation of new and current procedures, coordinated critical
incidents in the city with Calltakers and Dispatchers. Maintained staffing levels based on
established operating levels, adjusting staffing assignments based on call volumes. Performed
administrative duties such as preparing unit members evaluations, disciplinary actions,
assignment rosters, updating personnel jackets, scheduling and preparing reports.
Coordinated flow of information throughout department and field personnel, notified
superiors and commanders of pertinent emergency and non-emergency situations. Monitored
work performances to ensure compliance to unit and department directives. Monitored and
directed subordinates' work performances during serious and/or critical events. Maintained
responsibility for unit security and cleanliness. Acted as unit commander when designated.
Pros
benefits, community involvement, civil protection & response
Cons
subordinate compliance
Great Place to work.
Traffic Enforcement Agent (Former Employee) –  New York, NYJanuary 9, 2013
I love working for the Police Department management was great and co-workers was nice to work with.
Horrible Place to Work
Police Detective (Former Employee) –  Red Springs, NCJuly 1, 2012
This place is seeping with corruption mostly in the upper management area and will ruin your career. I would not recommend working there unless you want a short career.
Cons
read the review
I have gained a unique group of skills through organization and responsibility
Police Officer (Current Employee) –  Local AgencyJune 7, 2012
My abilities have steadily increased my scope of responsibilities on the job and I feel that I am ready to take on even greater challenges.
Pros
the ability to help others.
Cons
having to work holidays/weekends/nights and lack of professionalism within the organization.
productive and interesting work.
Police Officer/detective (Former Employee) –  New York city,n.y.April 25, 2012
i started out as a patrolman, i worked my way inyo an anti-crime unit and finelley got promoted to detective third grade, i was appointed to the organized crime controle bureau and attatched to the narcotics division where i worked undercover for almost 14 years.
Pros
interesting career.
Cons
very dangerous work
Serving a police department is both humbling and satisfying
Community Service Representative (Former Employee) –  Culver City, CAApril 18, 2012
Enjoyed working for this city government. 37 years ago it was a good introduction to government service
Pros
strong atmosphere of team work
Cons
job advancement is rare, stresses and tensions are a common
Easy going and casual work attire
Accounting Clerk, City of Sioux City, Iowa (Former Employee) –  Sioux City, IAApril 5, 2012
To be able to work on one's own and at a comfortable pace. Deadlines such as payroll are at specified times
Pros
healthcare
Cons
little advancement
very good place to work with excellent benefits
Records Technician (Former Employee) –  Portsmouth, VAApril 3, 2012
employees are well informed about any changes affecting them
Another Great Experience
Clerk (Former Employee) –  Friars Point, MS 38631March 17, 2012
Since I'm at Coahoma Community College studying Criminal Justice. This was some hand-on work experience that I think will help me reach high points within the field. I honestly love this job because this is what made me determined to go the school for Criminal Justice and it help me so much because the experience lead me to graduate this year in May.
Pros
the atmosphere
Cons
nothing