Polk County Public Schools Employee Reviews

See reviews about:
A typical work day
High School Teacher- Language Arts/English (Current Employee) –  Winter Haven, FLOctober 31, 2017
If you an individual who's between jobs and not really looking for much advancement, then work at PCSB. I prefer a place conducive to growth and more
enjoyable workplace along with helping children.
Paraprofessional Educator (Former Employee) –  Lakeland, FLOctober 7, 2017
You are treated like a family at this worplace. Everyone tries to help each other. The company has room for advancement. My boss was a great individual to work for.
Difficult Job
Substitute Teacher (Former Employee) –  Winter Haven, FLSeptember 16, 2017
The hardest part of the job was managing time to teach and complete student progress reports. Arranged meetings with teachers, principle, and students to assess effectiveness of existing progress and recommend changes that would improve student learning. This was a very stressful job where the duties supported "No Child Left Behind" law.
Pros
Good support of staff to help new teachers
Cons
Many hours required to complete reports/meetings and plan for teaching in classroom
Keep You Guessing
Elementary School Teacher, Kindergarten (Former Employee) –  Lakeland, FLMay 23, 2017
If you work for this company they will keep you guessing on what you are expected to do. It's amazing that following the state curriculum is considered "inappropriate" and not vetted. Yet, it's approved by the state. You'll need to handle behavior problems without support. You'll be accused of not asking for help. It's always your fault. They allow hostile parents to berate and harass you. It is not pleasant.
Pros
Health Insurance Benefits with Free Health Clinics
Cons
It's never enough. "Optional" faculty meetings after contract hours, fail to attend and you are labeled "not a team player'
the job sucks
Bus Driver (Former Employee) –  Bartow, FLSeptember 30, 2016
kids are violent, pay is cheap. hours are good, time off is good, benefits are good, co-workers are good. Place is run by polk county locale inbreed yuppie idiots.
Public Schools of Polk County
Para Educator (Current Employee) –  Lakeland, FLSeptember 8, 2016
I am in school to be a teacher. I took a job as a para educator while in school. I will say this has not been my favorite job but I have learned a lot. I love my administration. The pay is not adequate for the position but the benefits are good. There is also tuition reimbursement if you are a para and in school to be a teacher.
Benefits
Cons
Pay
Average
Associate Superintendent of Operations (Current Employee) –  Bartow, FLMarch 2, 2016
Not committed to excellence. So focused on how business has been done in the past they are ignoring opportunities to improve.
Experience heavily depends on school placement
Teacher (Former Employee) –  Tampa, FLJanuary 10, 2016
The school district has provided lots of opportunities for training and support. However, your overall experience will depend on the school you are placed at.

I got burnt out on the amount of formative assessments we had to do, and the quick pace of academic calendars is difficult when you have a majority of your students performing below grade level.
Pros
Training opportunities
Cons
Testing, level of students, unsupportive administration
Interesting work
Substitute Teacher (Current Employee) –  Bartow, FLJune 15, 2015
As a substitute teacher, I find there is never a dull moment. Teaching helps keep a person young, working with young people and children.
Pros
Jobs available give a person a great choice for substitute teachers.
Cons
No pay for summers. Vacation without pay.
good
First Grade Teacher (Current Employee) –  bartow, flFebruary 27, 2015
Good medical benefits. Great place to work. Teaching is a hard job. We work a lot after hours. We only get paid once a month. It is at the end of the month when we get paid. That is a main con.
Great Technological resources
Teacher (Former Employee) –  Poinciana, FLApril 30, 2013
Classrooms had up to date resources for students to learn. Administration was inconsistant with their expectations and state requirements.
Fulfilling job- fast paced workplace
Clinic Nurse (Former Employee) –  Lakeland, FLApril 11, 2013
In a typical day I herded students, took care of minor injuries, illnesses, and treatments, called parents about sick children, and visited classrooms to give instruction.
Pros
working with children and parents
Cons
secretaries not giving breaks/lunch that i needed