Polk County Employee Reviews

Great place to work if a few people in management left
Legal Description Specialist (Current Employee) –  Des Moines, IAJune 22, 2017
I like my job and am pretty good at it---with that said the management in my department is not very friendly with workers. Advancement is also limited since there is low turn-over. Its hard to get a job or advance with this employer without knowing someone---nepotism and political connections are rampant. If my boss retired I would probably stay here for a much longer time.
Meal site coordinator
Elderly Services (Former Employee) –  Eagle Lake, FLJune 7, 2017
Work with senior clients was rewarding, This was a part time job. I was off by 1:30 pm every day.I enjoyed making my clients lives meaningful. I accomplished this by developing a schedule of activities
and preparing their meals daily.
Pros
part time
Cons
drive time
Fast work place computer skill and customer service
Scale attendent (Current Employee) –  Columbus, NCApril 24, 2017
Scale attendant at Polk county solid waste department. Fast work place great customer service and working with customer all day computer skills and knowledge handle money and daily deposit Have to multitask sometimes and able to keep claim with a great additude I have the ability to speak Spanish and English as well as write and read
Pros
Great customer
Cons
Great coworkers
Good place to work.
Recycling Manager (Former Employee) –  Houston, TXOctober 17, 2016
Good place to work. Work changes every day. Employees work with minimum supervision. Allowed to make their own work decisions.
Nice people to work with and clean atmosphere.
Painter/Laborer (Current Employee) –  Bartow, FLJune 26, 2016
I enjoy working for Polk County and I like all the people I work with.
My typical day starts at 7am and ends at 5pm. I enjoy my job but am looking for a more challenging position so that I may be more challenged and feel more satisfied after a long day.
Pros
Nice hours w two breaks and a half-hour lunch
Cons
The work is not challenging enough for me.
Traffic Data Technician (Transportation/Traffic)
Traffic Data Technician (Former Employee) –  Polk County, FloridaOctober 1, 2015
I have to say it was a fun and an easy job the pay was really bad but the problem is you are Temp out by source 2 and you have work form them for about a year. Then the state will hire you if you good employee this job great for someone just out of high school but for someone who is older with a family I would say pass. The pay was the main reason I quit for it being a County job you think they would pay a lot better nope. I even look at other jobs they have posted some even lower than 11.58 an hour crazy anyways was fun but getting pay weekly you get like 400.00 a week no one can life off of that.
Pros
3 days weekends
Cons
Pay weekly very sad..
Working there is like working with family
Customer Service Clerk (Former Employee) –  Lakeland, FloridaAugust 17, 2015
Great and friendly environment. Lots of benefits and the pay is fair. The company provided lots of paid training to prepare for the job.
good work place with nice people and environment
service worker 2 (Current Employee) –  simmers young parkJuly 16, 2015
I enjoyed working there, i learned a lot from some very nice people. they taught me all the things i needed to know to do my job right and efficiently.
Pros
benefits, opportunities, environment, working under no supervision
Cons
work schedule, pay, layoff, managment
I was a contract worker in the community but the agency provided great support.
Therapist, Florida Mentor (Former Employee) –  Lakeland, FLJune 1, 2015
It was a great experience; flexible and rewarding. There was good support from management and a great meeting fellow contractors in monthly meetings for file review.
Pros
Contractor, flexibility
Cons
No compensation for mileage and had to have a large caseload to have decent compensation.
workplace was fun somebody on the radio making my day
transit driver (Former Employee) –  Lake Wales, FLDecember 10, 2014
my typical day with pre tripping bus
I have learned how to have patients and timing
I learn how to manage time
me and my co workers were team players
the hardest part of the job was learning the route
the most enjoyable part of day the was making it back safe
Pros
pay cheack everyweek
Cons
didnt get health care
Small School
INSTRUCTOR, MATH FOR COLLEGE READINESS (Former Employee) –  Fort Meade High SchoolNovember 16, 2014
High School Teaching.
management is new
Three Preps
Students complain frequently
Administration unsupportive of teachers
EMT/First Responders
Ambulance and rescue driver/operator (Current Employee) –  All over Polk County, changes dailyNovember 9, 2014
Constantly busy saving lives. 24 hour shifts, working around the clock wherever the immediate dispatchers tells us to report.
great bunch of people. no discrimination .
vehicle maintenance coordinator assistant (Current Employee) –  plok county transitNovember 4, 2014
I was promoted even though I was pregnant. Great place to work.
Pros
great atmosphere. good people.
Pleasant atmosphere
retired teacher (Former Employee) –  Lake Alfred, FLSeptember 3, 2014
A typical day was filled with energy, and most of the time great anticipation. We had fun learning together as a group (classroom).
Pros
Great kids and caring staff.
Cons
short lunch, not enough P.E. for the students to unwind and exercise.
Floyd County Superior Court
ABD Economic Support Specialist (Current Employee) –  Cedartown, GAJune 11, 2014
Great place to work and the leadership within the office is wonderful.
Great place to work.
Utility Laborer & Employee Services (Former Employee) –  Des Moines, IAMay 21, 2014
I learned a lot over the years that I worked for Polk County and it gave me a lot of experience for future jobs.
Great place to teach
Spanish Teacher/Jewett Academy Magnet (Former Employee) –  Winter HavenSeptember 23, 2013
Thought Spanish to 7th and 8th grade. I grew professional a personal. Constantly leaning. The hardest part of the job is to control discipline and to motivate kids to learn a second language. However, I love my job. I enjoy very much spend time with kids and see them grow in every aspect.
Great Experience
Secretary (Current Employee) –  Rover PlaceJuly 17, 2013
A typical day at work is answering phone, logging accounts, scheduling, Helping the reps, Customer Service, Bookeeping, Scanning, Copying, Emailing, Faxing,Filing. I have learned that Secretary's actually do alot of work. They keep the office running and are the backbone, very important people. Management is very good, the communicate and work with me if there is an issue. If i ask any questions they answer them, or will help me to figure the problem out if they do not know. Co-workers are amazing, we all work togther to get great results at the end of the day.Keeping everyone happy and trying to answer and get around to all the reps questions or gettting around to all of there book work. I LOVE the people that i work with. I get to meet new people everyday and help them out with whatever we can.
Pros
Meet New people everyday
Cons
Sometimes more work than one person can do at once.
New Company and Management was lacking
Realtor (Former Employee) –  Winter Haven, FLJune 5, 2013
worked with office employees to prepare closing documents and took care of accounting issues. Management was lacking but worked with great people. Company close their doors within 2 years of opening.
Pros
Great co-worker and customers
Cons
Great people to work around
Director (Former Employee) –  Dallas, ORMay 2, 2013
Local governments should learn from this example on how to run lean and still produce good services in a timely manner.