Polk State College

Polk State College Employer Reviews

Wonderful place to work
Federal Work Study (Former Employee), Winter Haven, FLDecember 18, 2014
Pros: great mentors
I had the pleasure of working in Human Resources for my work study. The entire staff at Polk State is very professional. Everyone goes out of their way to make you feel welcome and they will make sure you are learning while at school.
Adjunct Instructor (Former Employee), Winter Haven, FLDecember 18, 2014
Pros: syllabi required
Cons: some students not yet ready for college.
An evaluation by the dean of each Department is taken for each instructor.
Student evaluations of the course are done at the end of each semester.
These are important because it gives the professor feed back on where they need to improve and what they are doing right.
Very Easy
Weight Room Supervisor (Former Employee), Winter Haven, FLDecember 8, 2014
Pros: great place to meet new people
Cons: monthly pay and low compensation
A typical day would have been helping students work on their body to improve their overall physic. I was pretty much my own boss and in charge of the building. I would also have time to study and finish my homework as well as have time to exercise.
Assistant to Health Information Manager Adminstrator
Asst to HIM Adminstrator (Former Employee), Winter HavenAugust 27, 2014
Pros: learned about what it takes to run this program.
Cons: this was only a 20 hour a week job.
I loved working for ms. Bowe in 2004. I was a student at that time also. I did all the fileing and contacted the hospitals to set up training for the students. I made copies for her,did research, and typed papers that she needed for meetings. I also tutored students that was in the program.
An interactive place where you combine your skills with learning
Maintenance Technician (Former Employee), Lakeland, FLJuly 2, 2014
Pros: events with free food and other items
Cons: money sucks, communication breakdowns
I maintained a regular upkeep of PMs such as rooftop inspects , grounds upkeep , keeping up with the professors and students needs for classroom management and office. There was a lot of communication problems and too many chiefs and not enough Indians
Student Activities
Receptionist OPS Government Worker (Former Employee), Winter Haven, FLMay 19, 2014
Pros: participation in all the events around campus, free food
Cons: psc would not hire me full time
Printing student ID’s
Answering the telephone
Taking messages
Assisted in the coordination of special events around campus
Setup audio equipment for special events
Fun Productive atmosphere
Student Activities Leadership Organization (Current Employee), Lakeland, FlApril 20, 2014
Great place to work, Working in an environment with great students and staff. The hardest part about my job is having to go home everyday.
Typical Day at Work
OPS- Student Services, Office of Admission (Current Employee), Lakeland, FLMarch 19, 2014
Pros: flexible hours.
Cons: salary. miscomunnication within departments.
The job consists of assisting students to get enrolled into the college. We verify all documents needed to start classes and other college/classes related difficulties.
Productive and Fun work environement
Assistant (Current Employee), Lakeland FlMarch 10, 2014
Pros: early morning work, off early, making people happy, enjoying my job
Cons: dealing with unsure companies.
A typical day at Polk State would be interesting. I would arrive at work at 6 A.M and enter student information into Microsoft Excel for OSHA/MSHA and New Minor contractorr safety. After that process was done, I would send them to another co-worker to have their picture taken so their identification card could be printed out with the certifications that they already hold added onto it as well. The hardest part of the job was when students would come in sayng that their company added them into the class and paid for it when we had no proof in our documents to prove that they were added into the class. Therefore, we would have to decide whether to let them in or not and later bill the company for the schooling expense. The most enjoyable part of the job was being able to make students happy and encouraging them to do good in class.
Student Life
Student Engagement Specialist (Current Employee), Lakeland FlDecember 2, 2013
Assist and plan student leadership program for the students of Polk State
College to include retreats, seminars, workshops and internship opportunities.
Research, plan and evaluate a diverse program of activities and events that
meet the broad interests and needs of the student body.
Advise, coordinate and support the membership and work of the Student
Activities Board. Assist with the planning, facilitation and evaluation of events
on the campus.
Manage space and activities for students in the student center including the
Student Activity Office, Student Organization Area, Activity Center, and meeting
rooms.
Implement an assessment and survey program with in SALO that will evaluate
learning outcomes and best practices of all events
Meet on a regular basis with student organizations to coordinate co-sponsored
campus events.
Develop, plan and manage an alternative Spring Break Program maintains
procedural manuals for student government associations and student
organizations in keeping with college rules and procedures.
Develop and promote a Healthy Student Living Program that promotes healthy
activities and healthy living on the campus. Wellness activities should include
promotion of the wellness center, assisting with the coordination of the Health
Fair, and procuring information for distribution across the campus.
Assist with the continued development and promotion of an active Student
Government Association. Responsibilities include advising SGA as well as
participating in District and State Florida College System Student Government
Association (FCSSGA)
Assist with developing – more... and promoting a strong intramural program that will
promote fellowship and health.
Establish a co-curricular transcript. X
Coordinate united homecoming activities between the two campuses and
satellite campuses.
Assist in the supervision over activities, staff and programs of the student activities area.
Assume responsibility of leadership of the Student Activities and Leadership
Department in absence of Director. Other duties as assigned. – less
Radiology
Homemaker/Student (Former Employee), Polk City, FLSeptember 18, 2013
Great College! Everyone is there to help you get in the right classes and direct you where you need to be. Low cost on your classes. They have great tutors that are willing to help you if you are needing help in a subject.
Customer service experiance
Help Desk Assistant (Former Employee), Winter Haven, FLSeptember 15, 2013
This opportunity opened my eyes to the importance of customer service in a company
Financial Aid Assistant Advisor
Financial Aid Assistant (Current Employee), Lakeland, FLDecember 12, 2012
Pros: this position has been a great learning experience!
Cons: the position is only temporary
• Award federal, state, institutional and private sources of financial aid to students within appropriate guidelines and regulations
• Advise students and parents regarding availability of financial aid, the eligibility requirements and the application process
• Provide information on scholarships, federal loans and private loan options
• Assist students in filling out FAFSA applications and answering questions when needed
• Generate and complete reports as needed for Director to ensure deadlines are met
• Schedule appointments for students and serve students who have appointments in a timely and courteous manner
Fun but little chance for advancement
Student Activities Coordinator (Current Employee), Winter HavenNovember 12, 2012
Pros: flexible schedule, independence, friendliness, understanding
Cons: pay, advancement opportunities
Polk State College is an excellent employer if you're looking for fun and friendly co-workers, a flexible schedule and a positive environment. The staff and faculty are excellent and polite, they make going to work a lot of fun. There is a lot of personal freedom, you are not micro-managed but you are expected to perform.

The only stressful time is during registration, this happens twice every academic semester -- towards the beginning and the end. It can be VERY overwhelming.

The students are generally well disciplined but they can be challenging, especially those who do not necessarily understand why they are in college to begin with.

If you want to learn how to work in an independent environment with a lot of rigor then this is the employer for you.
I was a Student Worker
Student worker in the Human Resources Department (Former Employee), Winter Haven, FLSeptember 14, 2012
Pros: atmospeherem other staff
Cons: the job was only temporary
I absolutely kloved working at Polk State College. I was only a student worker, but it was great. I worked in the Humam Resources Department and the staff in there was wonderful. Everyone I encountered at PSC was great!!!
Student worker
Student Worker (Current Employee), Winter Haven, FLMay 30, 2012
I was only a student worker not a full time employee but even as just a SW the job was great
Great place to learn new skills.
Audio Technician and Stage Crew (Former Employee), Winter Haven, FLMay 15, 2012
I greatly enjoyed working here, I learned a lot and use the skills that were taught to me.
I was a student at Polk State College with clinical experience through the school
Ultrasound Student (Former Employee), Lakeland FloridaMarch 28, 2012
The school was highly technical in Abdomen and OB/Gyn education, the school is now a registered program in Ultrasound. Our clinical hours covered our speciality in Abdomen and OB/Gyn with added experience in Vascular, Breast, and procedures.