Polk State College Employee Reviews

Student Services Assistant (Former Employee) –  Winter Haven, FLSeptember 10, 2016
This work pace was very productive and there was no down time which I though was great. Management as well as co-workers were so friendly and very encouraging which I think is very appreciated in a work place. I can't say that there was a hard part of the job because I'm a fast learner and everything came easy to me.
Pros
Free Snacks
Fun and exciting work environment
Work Study/Events Coordinator (Former Employee) –  Winter Haven, FLNovember 30, 2016
I loved working in a college environment. We had fun activities and got to interact with students on a daily basis. Management was supportive and made the work place relaxing.
Pros
Fun events, good management
Cons
sometimes very slow.
Substance of what higher education was for.
IT - Help Desk Internship (Current Employee) –  Winter Haven, FLAugust 15, 2016
A typical work day involves a lot of helping people and learning more about computers, assigning work order tickets. The hardest thing knowing that is an internship position, the most enjoyable is learning.
Pros
Working with great people
Cons
Down time
excellent opportunity
Part-time Adjunct Faculty Professor (Current Employee) –  Lakeland, FLDecember 27, 2016
Polk State College is set to focus on the needs of the student, while also providing a strong foundation for success by investing in their professors.
A workplace that's strongly cultured ans offers many opportunities
Communications Intern (Former Employee) –  Winter Haven, FLAugust 6, 2016
Throughout my experience at Polk State I've managed to learn many things. It was a true privilege being able to work along side many committed and great individuals.
Great nursing program
Clinical Adjunct (Former Employee) –  Lakeland, FLMarch 23, 2016
PSC has a reputation for a great educational experience for their ADN students. They have an exceptional pass rate for the NCLEX! Proud to have them in our community!
N/a
Coordinator Veteran Services and SCO (Current Employee) –  Winter Haven, FLSeptember 27, 2015
I don't find the organization a good fit for those that are searching for opportunities to move forward.

Most apply but do not stay.

Those at the top make the most income.

There is a huge gap between the very rich at the top of the organization and the very poor - on welfare while working at the bottom of the organization.

Huge amount of red-tape, politics and nepotism.

Unfair work practices, intimidation, racism and lawsuits.
Pros
Other Opportunities
Cons
Time to search for other opportunities
Polk State College is a good place to work for people with children. Time off coincides with public school schedule.
Director of Enterprise Systems (Current Employee) –  Winter Haven, FLOctober 1, 2015
Polk State College is a very challenging place to work. Paid time off is abundant, but salaries are below 'fair market' value. Student success is a high priority.
Pros
Lots of paid time off
Cons
Low pay with sub-standard health/dental benefits
Culturally diverse
Transcript evaluator (Current Employee) –  Winter Haven FloridaOctober 5, 2015
Wonderful expierence to work at Polk State College. The work environment was always delightful. Employees mananged work load never to overwhelm one another always taking into consideration one another.
Pros
Very friendly environment
Cons
Long days
Ultrasound Technologist (Current Employee) –  Lakeland, FLNovember 30, 2015
I went to school here and now I work here. I love this school. Employees are kind and helpful.
My department is fantastic.
Assistant to Health Information Manager Adminstrator
Asst to HIM Adminstrator (Former Employee) –  Winter HavenAugust 27, 2014
I loved working for ms. Bowe in 2004. I was a student at that time also. I did all the fileing and contacted the hospitals to set up training for the students. I made copies for her,did research, and typed papers that she needed for meetings. I also tutored students that was in the program.
Pros
Learned about what it takes to run this program.
Cons
This was only a 20 hour a week job.
Financial Aid Assistant Advisor
Financial Aid Assistant (Current Employee) –  Lakeland, FLDecember 12, 2012
• Award federal, state, institutional and private sources of financial aid to students within appropriate guidelines and regulations
• Advise students and parents regarding availability of financial aid, the eligibility requirements and the application process
• Provide information on scholarships, federal loans and private loan options
• Assist students in filling out FAFSA applications and answering questions when needed
• Generate and complete reports as needed for Director to ensure deadlines are met
• Schedule appointments for students and serve students who have appointments in a timely and courteous manner
Pros
this position has been a great learning experience!
Cons
the position is only temporary
An interactive place where you combine your skills with learning
Maintenance Technician (Former Employee) –  Lakeland, FLJuly 2, 2014
I maintained a regular upkeep of PMs such as rooftop inspects , grounds upkeep , keeping up with the professors and students needs for classroom management and office. There was a lot of communication problems and too many chiefs and not enough Indians
Pros
events with free food and other items
Cons
money sucks, communication breakdowns
A decent look at tech support on a college campus
Associate's Degree Practicum (Former Employee) –  Lakeland, FLFebruary 13, 2015
My practicum for my associates degree mostly consisted of waiting for support calls to come in and then shadowing whoever took the call. The replacement of labs took place over roughly two weeks and consisted of replacing up to 30 physical machines and then imaging the new PCs.
fun place to work
Assistant Athletic Director (Former Employee) –  Winter Haven, FLOctober 22, 2015
great staff and people to work with. Exciting environment with people to help you along the way. I would suggest PSC to anyone.
Adjunct Instructor (Former Employee) –  Winter Haven, FLDecember 18, 2014
An evaluation by the dean of each Department is taken for each instructor.
Student evaluations of the course are done at the end of each semester.
These are important because it gives the professor feed back on where they need to improve and what they are doing right.
Pros
Syllabi required
Cons
Some students not yet ready for College.
Very Easy
Weight Room Supervisor (Former Employee) –  Winter Haven, FLDecember 8, 2014
A typical day would have been helping students work on their body to improve their overall physic. I was pretty much my own boss and in charge of the building. I would also have time to study and finish my homework as well as have time to exercise.
Pros
Great place to meet new people
Cons
Monthly pay and low compensation
Friendly staff. Great place to work.
Lab Assistant (Former Employee) –  Winter Haven, FLJuly 27, 2015
Polk State College was a great place to work and had a very welcoming and friendly staff willing to help. Overall a pleasure to be employed at Polk State College.
Pros
Friendly Staff
Fun but little chance for advancement
Student Activities Coordinator (Current Employee) –  Winter HavenNovember 12, 2012
Polk State College is an excellent employer if you're looking for fun and friendly co-workers, a flexible schedule and a positive environment. The staff and faculty are excellent and polite, they make going to work a lot of fun. There is a lot of personal freedom, you are not micro-managed but you are expected to perform.

The only stressful time is during registration, this happens twice every academic semester -- towards the beginning and the end. It can be VERY overwhelming.

The students are generally well disciplined but they can be challenging, especially those who do not necessarily understand why they are in college to begin with.

If you want to learn how to work in an independent environment with a lot of rigor then this is the employer for you.
Pros
flexible schedule, independence, friendliness, understanding
Cons
pay, advancement opportunities
I was a student at Polk State College with clinical experience through the school
Ultrasound Student (Former Employee) –  Lakeland FloridaMarch 28, 2012
The school was highly technical in Abdomen and OB/Gyn education, the school is now a registered program in Ultrasound. Our clinical hours covered our speciality in Abdomen and OB/Gyn with added experience in Vascular, Breast, and procedures.

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Polk State College. Our community is ready to answer.

4.4