Pomona Unified School District Employee Reviews

My Ideal Job
Paraeducatior (Former Employee) –  Pomona, CAApril 17, 2017
I loved helping back the very school system I was personally raised in. The pride of helping my own community and helping the students that truly needed it. Working hand in hand in Specialized classrooms and teaching students their curriculum was very rewarding and brought clarity. The parents could feel my honest intentions with their children and they knew I would try my absolute best.
Pros
Honest work
Great place to work.
Certified Substitute Teacher (Former Employee) –  Pomona, CAApril 11, 2017
Different class (if you chose) every day. Offer Long-term positions. Loved working for Special education classes. Management was great. Love the Diversity of classes. Hardest Part of job was having to leave long terms assignments.I love working with children of all ages.
Pros
I was able to choose assignments.
Cons
No health insurance.
Could be worse
College Intern (Former Employee) –  Pomona, CAMarch 5, 2017
Admin basically throws you in the water to sink or swim, the teachers you work with are either hit or miss, learn to say no or get taken advantage of fast. You stay for the kids, they need you.
Fast paced
Food service worker substitute (Former Employee) –  Pomona, CAFebruary 15, 2017
I met a great deal of fun interesting people, they taught me a lot of things that have to do with the job. You also learn how to prepare different types of recipes.
Great job for college students
Academic Tutor (Former Employee) –  Pomona, CADecember 14, 2016
The Pomona Unified School District worked with the schedules of college students. This allowed college students to earn money as well as have a positive impact on younger students in the community.
coworkers, colleagues, families and students were enjoyable to work with, management was not.
School Mental Health Supervisor (Former Employee) –  Pomona, CAAugust 31, 2016
Best part of this job was working collaboratively with school staff and students, and being a clinical supervisor to MFT trainees.
Also enjoyed teamwork and cameraderie among my coworkers in a small, community-based agency.
Manager was not easy to work with, she was very hard on me.
Hardest part of this job was that my boss was very controllling, negative, critical and perfectionistic. No matter how hard I worked or how positive the feedback from colleagues and school staff, she would find the smallest, most insignificant things to criticize me about, and it created a very stressful working environment for me.
Pros
good salary, benefits
Cons
lack of support/flexibility from manager, overworked/understaffed
A great job for people who like to work with children.
Tutor (Former Employee) –  Pomona, CAJuly 21, 2016
This job is more or less, mentally challenging. Depending on the location, the students can be very frustrating and hard to work with. Overall, it's a great opportunity and experience. I don't believe that the pay is enough for what the job asks for.
Earned valuable experience
Attendance Clerk (Former Employee) –  Pomona, CAJuly 11, 2016
Valuable experience and insight to maintain professionalism and courteous behavior in a respectable environment wherein there is a lack thereof.
I enjoyed working with the students as I learned a great deal about different cultures.
Elementary Teacher (Former Employee) –  Mendoza Elementary and Decker ElementaryJuly 5, 2016
My workday started at 8 am until 3 pm. I greeted students and spent the morning teaching reading skills to 1st graders. Students were eager to come to learn and enjoyed the day. Even though I expected students to try to grasp concepts, it was necessary to walk them through some of their learning. When the students grasped the concepts, it was a "high five" and watch them know that they could succeed as the hardest part of the job was to let them know that they really could learn due to the fact that many of them came from homes with no parental involvement. My coworkers and I collaborated together on lesson plans, evaluations of lessons, and how we could improve them. Teaching is not only teaching students but also learning from them and how to best manage their learning.
Pros
Seeing the students' eyes light up when they knew they had mastered a difficult concept!
Cons
Encouraging parents' involvement in their child's learning.
Good experience
Medical Assistant / CPR and First Aid Instructor (Former Employee) –  Pomona, CAJune 14, 2016
I think working at the District made me a better teacher by keeping me accountable and learn from my mistake. As a District Employee you learn to be dependent compare to private schools. And working in the accreditation committee gave me the experience I been looking for.
Management takes time to know you.
Sub Custodian (Current Employee) –  Various sitesMay 25, 2016
PUSD is a great place to work because the environment is one that supports students, families and employees. The sub position allows a variety of sites to work at.
productive
teacher (Former Employee) –  Pomona, CAMay 22, 2016
The most enjoyable part of teaching was developing lesson plans that were both helpful to my students and fun to do.
The hardest part of the job was discipline. Elementary and middle school can be challenging time for students.
Pros
after school activities, such as baseball or football; loved to watch the kids enjoy themselves
Cons
excessive testing
Very rewarding job
Typist Clerk (Current Employee) –  Pomona, CAFebruary 9, 2016
I handle heavy telephone calls, transferring the call to appropriate extensions. I communicate directly with parents, other districts and students regarding transfers in and out of the district. I scan, copy and fax very regularly. My coworkers are one of the reasons I love this job, everyone is great, it's wonderful to be part of such an awesome group of people who care so much about the children in their community. The hardest part of the job is seeing some tough emotional cases because children are involved and not being able to help. The most enjoyable part of this job is helping offer families all the resources the district can to help children stay in school and enjoy it.
Pros
Great office moral
Cons
Not a permanent position
I enjoy teaching and working with students.
Substitute Teacher (Current Employee) –  Pomona, CAFebruary 4, 2016
I worked in a disenfranchised community for the most part substituting in various classes. I provided structure, teaching and direction for the day. I was supportive to the teacher for maintaining the standards across the curriculum.
Pros
flexibility, challenge, choosing my own schedule
Cons
no benefits, no continuity, behavior issues
relaxing job
Substitute custodian (Former Employee) –  Pomona, CADecember 1, 2015
a move at your pace job with good pay can typically put on headphones and just work and watch the time go by sometimes a days work is finished hours before needing to leave
Work for me is taken day by day
Education (Current Employee) –  Pomona, CANovember 5, 2015
A day at work can very from smooth to busy in a matter a minutes. I do filing, book keeping and manage a caseload several hundreds.
Cons
Amazing place to work for.
Governing Board Member (Current Employee) –  Education CenterAugust 18, 2015
PUSD is an amazing place that you can grow with. They truly care about the employees. I started as a student here in 1984, graduated in 1997 and have worked with the district since 1999. I love what I do and the community I serve.
productive fun environment
Wrestling coach (Former Employee) –  Pomona, CAAugust 17, 2015
on a typical day of work I would train kids and lead them in wrestling routines. weight lifting and cardio work outs were also involved.
Pros
helping young athletes reach there fitness goals.
Cons
seeing some kids get let down when they don't win matches.
As every day is a different day; I hope to provide influence to others.
Coordinator, Civic Center Maintenance & Operations (Current Employee) –  Pomona, CAJuly 29, 2015
I really enjoy my position. It's challenging and I grow as a leader everyday. I learn everyday. People are valuable. It's a community atmosphere and I appreciate the people I work with.
Pros
People
Cons
Work hours
Enjoyed working there especially with the kids and volunteering.
Volunteer (Former Employee) –  Pomona, CAJuly 29, 2015
Typical day was to supervise students on the campus and making sure safety on playground and in classes to students. Organizing T-shirt sales, working with Teachers in classroom,volunteering in office for nurse, receptionist, working with parents. setting up for special events for the students. Working with other supervisors we all worked well together.
Pros
volunteering, organizing T-shirt sales, pizza parties, and working with the students.
Cons
Not having enough hours for work.

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Pomona Unified School District. Our community is ready to answer.

4.3