Popeye's Restaurants Employee Reviews in United States

Found 2,026 reviews matching the search
Lets just say, I'm glad I quit
Cook/Cashier (Former Employee) –  Las Vegas, NVMarch 29, 2016
At this job I would come in and take over the kitchen and begin to cook an provide food for the customers, during my career i learned how to cook all the different types of food that Popeye's provides. Probably the worst part of this job was the management and was the reason I left. Our store manager wasn't quite fair to most of her employees.
Pros
free lunches
Cons
Bad rushes, no benefits, short breaks.
very bad management
Cashier (Former Employee) –  Berlin, NJDecember 19, 2015
I have worked for popeyes for a few years now and i learned that it can be a great place to work with the proper management. But It has terrible management and you have low hours or high hours depending on if your manager likes you or not. For the popeyes i worked at there was never a set schedule and everyone gets called in an hour or a half hour before they were to show up. It takes a very long time to get a raise which is never more than 5 to 10 cents and also moving up depends on how the manager likes you it has nothing to do with skill. Also the management is always changing every couple of months and stock is always running out even though the store is never really busy. the only thing good about it is that they are flexible when it comes to days you can work.
Pros
flexible hours
Cons
low pay bad management favoritism
Productive and efficient workplace
General Manager (Current Employee) –  Woodstock, ILJanuary 7, 2016
A typical day for me starts with a thorough inspection of the previous night's closing. This can end with either praise for the night crew or a coaching session to improve operations. Throughout the day I oversee operations in the store and continually coach my crew. The hardest part of my job is preparing for inspections. There is always a frantic rush when the inspector shows up because I want everything to be perfect, and my crew knows it. The most enjoyable part of my job is witnessing employee advancement.
Pros
free lunches, flexible hours
Cons
no benefits, long hours
good place to work
Shift Leader (Former Employee) –  Goldsboro, NCApril 4, 2016
I started working for company when it first came to Goldsboro, NC. I received a raise my first month working when the store open because of my work ethic. I enjoyed working with my manager for 4 years and I still keep in contact with her today. I love my popeyes crew. I've met some great people who I would consider friends now.
Pros
discount lunch
Cons
no benefits
Don't go there,not friendly
Certified Crew Trainer (Former Employee) –  Rock Hill, SCJanuary 13, 2016
A typical work day was normally 8 hrs. You were giving task to complete in not always resonable time. As a Crew Trainer i was requred to help new employees get the concepts down packed. I learned what it takes to deal with massive amounts of people during grand openings. I learned what things can kill business extremely fast. The management was inbtween good and bad. The hard part was the grand opening itself. The most enojoyable part was actually the grand openings as well.
Pros
advancement
Cons
breaks either to long or to short, pay, management
productive workplace,keeping clientele satisfied
popeyes cook (Former Employee) –  Warren, MIApril 2, 2016
typical days at work is always fast paced,and you have to work hard to keep everything maintained.I learned that you have to work as a team.''Team work make the dream work'' i always said.without everyones cooperation including the manager,its more likely for mistake to be made.Co-workers should always be more motivated then the day before.The hardest part of a job is when co-workers take more breaks,then work put into there assignment/project.Enjoyable parts of work is seeing that clientele keeps coming back,keeps us busy,and you get nothing but phenomenal feedback.
Pros
great communicator, responsible, team player, organinized
Cons
taking on too many challenges, doing more then i can handle, helping others interfere with my project.
Productive and fun enviroment
Cook (Former Employee) –  Fort Worth, TXOctober 19, 2015
Fun work place, managers were very suportive and beleived in helping you.
I learned how the popeys chicken operation runs, and how to succeed in this business.
Management was awesome, they had our backs at all times.
Co-workers were fun and great to work with.
Hardest part was day one trynna adjust to somthing new.
Being the go to guy when people didnt show for work, getting raises and noticed for my sontribution to the company.
Pros
Free lunchies, being the guy the store depended upon to get the job done.
Cons
customer's complaining about the prices are to high for our products.
Kinda slow, but lots of experiences to be had.
Cashier - Register (Former Employee) –  Georgetown, TXApril 2, 2016
-You have a chance at almost every position.
-Learning how to pack a box of chicken fast and neatly.
-Management will help you with anything as long as they believe they are needed.
-Co-workers are iffy and sometimes bring their problems to work. Only possible due to small workspace you work in, giving a personal feel to the co-workers working together in such an enclosed space.
-The hardest part is packing the chicken fast, and trying not to drop some.
-The most enjoyable part was the free chicken our management let us take home at the end of the day, just before it had to be thrown out.
Pros
Free food
Cons
Iffy management
The Franchise Owner Should Install Hidden Cameras
Assistant Manager in Training (Former Employee) –  Petal, MSMarch 31, 2016
The General Manager & Training Manager definitely have their "favorites" and if you're not one of their faves, then they're rude to you.

Management trains you to only handle or prepare food with gloves on, but they don't practice what they preach. (It's "Do as I say, Not as I Do")

No one ever sweeps or mops because they're all too busy checking their cell phones, texting etc.

If I were the Franchise Owner, I'd install hidden cameras, Fire a LOT of people (CLEAN HOUSE!!) & Hire people who are actually willing to do the job by the book & not show favortism, etc.
Pros
Free Meals, Affordable Health Ins
Cons
Everything else!
Great work place
ASSITANT MANGER (Former Employee) –  Valdosta, GAMarch 28, 2016
Awesome place to work management was great, crew was hard working. Family like place to be, great company to work for in the corporate setting.
Pros
Great Team Work
Cons
Long Hours
Loved my regular customers
Customer Service Representative10/16 (Former Employee) –  Columbus, OHFebruary 21, 2016
Popeye's is a franchise that there weren't many growth opportunities and the pay was horrible. No matter your willingness to learn things there was never any growth potential.
Pros
The customer's and the job taught patience.
Cons
rarely received a raise because of your work only state raises.
Friendly work environment
Cook (Former Employee) –  San Antonio, TXAugust 28, 2015
During the store's grand opening, it had reached expectations such as high sales, very busy workplace, etc.. This was a good experience for those who have never worked in a restaurant or for those who have had prior experience but never opened a store at grand opening. Prior to the grand opening of any of the stores, there were a lot of cleaning duties. So if you're someone who doesn't recommend some physical labor, then this is not the place for you. However, there's a lot of opportunities in this field if you work hard and work your way up. It won't happen overnight but you will reach your goals.
Pros
Discounted employee meals, friendly management/employees
Cons
Lots of manual labor, low salary, inexperienced workers.
Fast food & Fast paced
Team Leader (Former Employee) –  Lauderhill, FLMarch 23, 2016
Fast Food & Fast paced. On your feet 8 hours a day. Demanding clients but coworkers are great.The most enjoyable part is when you are being praised and people thank you for what you do.
Too many problems that never get fixed
Cashier (Former Employee) –  Hudson, FLDecember 17, 2015
The store I was in had no organization, whatsoever. Management was lazy and unprofessional. If there was ever any sort of problem in the store it remained unfixed - including things hazardous to employees health. The general manager was rude and careless, and the higher ups were worse. The only thing I liked about working for this company was my consistent hours.
Pros
Decent hours, free food on shifts
Cons
No breaks, no benefits, careless management
Popeye's
Cashier (Former Employee) –  Valdosta, GADecember 4, 2015
My day would always start counting my draw making sure I had all my napkins forks and boxes. I would also make sure the food did not expire. Management was very strict but it was good, because it kept the business flowing. The only thing I did not like about the job you could only get 28 hours or you would get wrote up and 3 times you would be fired. Other than that I loved my job and my co-workers
Pros
free lunch, there was always a smile on our faces.
Cons
only 28 hours or less or you would be terminated
Sporadic, stressful, fun.
Crew Member (Former Employee) –  Orange Park, FLJanuary 31, 2016
Some days were easy, other days they worked you till you were at the point of breaking. Management was great, but at times pushed people to the point of quitting. Would not suggest for people that can not handle a heavy work load and lots of yelling.

I learned about all about chicken while working there along with what I can do when pushed in the right direction. Was an experience that I both loved and hate, though too stressful for myself, between work and some of the fellow employees.

The hardest part of the job is the rushes, if someone wasn't ready the whole crew was behind. Working in back as a seasoner most of the job, I'd watch people run back and vent then walk back to the front.

The most enjoyable part was when everyone moved as one and the store was like a well oiled machine. I longed for those days when it got chaotic. Definitely a job I won't forget.
Pros
Discounts, free drinks, and smoke breaks.
Cons
Stressful, testing, and unrewarding at times.
Great place
Shift Leader (Current Employee) –  Kingsport, TNJanuary 16, 2016
I have been working here for three years, and it has been an educational experience for me. The people were great and the job was fair and easy. I have learned so many things from this job it's too hard to write it all. I am the most knowledgeable with the work and I am usually sought after by employees and managers for help with somethings. The management was nice and fair, no favoritism, which is a huge issue for me. A typical day usually consists of checking product, assisting customers in anyway I can, providing excellent customer service, and keeping the store clean. The hardest part of the job would be the angry customers, I do keep my cool and try as best as I can to help them out and fix whatever problem they have, this usually always works for me. The most enjoyable would be the customers that give positive feedback, it really makes me feel like I am doing an excellent job.
Pros
Free Food on break.
Cons
Angry customers
job fizzles out with a slow down in business
Cleaner (Former Employee) –  Port Chester, NYMarch 3, 2016
I started working full time as a cleaner. A month or so after grand opening business started to slow down. I was cut back to part time weekend work. After seven months I was told to wait for the manager to call me because business was too slow to work as a cleaner. It has been over four months and I haven't received a call to come back to work. I think if you work in the kitchen or as a cashier your job security is much better. Their cleaner job doesn't stay.
Pros
steady pay and easy work
Cons
you get layed off if business is slow
Popeyes
Crew Member (Former Employee) –  Waldorf, MDJanuary 10, 2016
A typical day for me was, coming in at 8am and helping open the store until 10 when the store actually opened; doing stocking and preparing my work station. I would work 8 hours with a 30 minute break and was able to get a free meal, then I would clock out at about 4:15 after helping set up for the next shift.
Working here I learned how to work with different people, how to get along with others better, and how to better follow specific direction under close to no supervision.
The management wasn't too good, my specific store owner was hard to work with but then again there was a rotation shift leads so it made up for the store owner.
I'd say the hardest party of the job is working with people that speak broken english.
Cheapest People you'll ever work for
Crew Member (Current Employee) –  Evergreen Park, ILJanuary 6, 2016
They always make you take a break when labor is barely close, barely get breaks, they don't give enough hours that a person can survive on, always understaff a night or morning crew so they can save money. Because we are always understaffed in a shift, you have to do twice the work in one shift. They always rush you off of the clock at the end of the night. They watch you work as long as the store is open on the video cameras, in which they can view from their personal iPads tablets computers and cell phones. It's disturbing knowing you are always under active surveillance. And as soon as they see you sitting down in the back area on their surveillance, they call the store and tells the manager to inform you to clock out. I don't think we get paid enough to work under the conditions that we do.
Pros
Free lunches, not strict on uniform, laid backed environment
Cons
No intended breaks, no benefits, nobody moves up in the company, below Chicago minimum wage, cheap owners, not enough hours

2.8