Population Services International

Population Services International Employer Reviews

Fantastic
Stores Clerk (Current Employee), BlantyreSeptember 3, 2014
Pros: subsidized lunchens
Cons: provided
i have saved Psi to reach its effective goals and minimize some other costs through my perfomances
Productive, fast paced, International work place
Awards Management Senior Accountant (Current Employee), Washington, DCJune 19, 2014
PSI is a great place to work. Being French myself, I really enjoyed the international work environment at the office. I had the ability to use my French, Spanish and English all in one day of work!

I learned a lot about management of a big international non-profit and the challenges of communication between field and HQ as well as doing accounting – more... with people from all over the world and dealing with currency exchange rates. I also was exposed to grants from different governments and learned what each require for set up, management and close out. – less
Very good environment to learn and master everything on project management.
New Business Development Coordinator (Former Employee), Ivory CoastJanuary 30, 2014
During my tenure at Population Services International (PSI), I worked closely with a range of development agencies of the United Nations including UNICEF, to write project and grant proposals for review by the Country Representative. As a result, I understand the criteria upon which funders decide to support programs and I have learnt how to improve – more... the quality of grant proposals. I am also experienced in monitoring program budgets, skills that would undoubtedly serve me as well as grant writer. – less
Minorities beware
Manager (Current Employee), washington, dcAugust 10, 2013
Minorities do not get the same paths of advancement as their white counterparts.
PSI is the worst
Contracts (Current Employee), Washington, DCMarch 18, 2013
Cons: everything...
you do not want to work in the DC office. Regional staff and project staff walk on water. Back office staff, accounting, contract, procurement get crapped on daily.. RUN do not walk away from this place... its is really bad. Upper management does not have a clue of what is going on... Human Resources make all kinds of policies and then does not enforce – more... them. – less
Productive highly Intense atmosphere
Finance Director (Former Employee), East AfricaJanuary 24, 2013
Pros: international travel
Cons: long hours
Management is very weak, no room for advancement. Most only stay a few years and then move on, but a wonderful company in what they do in saving lives all over the world.
The place is coming apart at the seams
CFO cone (Former Employee), Washington, DCJanuary 22, 2013
Pros: good benefits
Cons: benefits are traded off for low salary, zero work life balance, no room for advancement, capricious upper managment.
Recent mass layoffs, huge turnover rate, key senior staff departures, 25% revenue shortfall... Once good company appears to be not long for this world.
Excellent work place with international exposure
IT Manager (Current Employee), Washington, DCSeptember 18, 2012
PSI is an excellent company with international exposure which encourages staff to go beyond what we feel is a limitation to ensure that every problem has a solution.
Keeps one busy and its challenging...love it
Malaria Program Officer (Current Employee), Bulawayo, ZimbabweDecember 3, 2014
At most 90% of the work is out of the work place in the rural communities e.g stakeholder meetings, monitoring LLIN distribution, conducting awareness campaigns (roadshows, video screenings) and recording most significant stories among others.
Communities need to be mobilised in order to accept to adopt certain behaviours which are beneficiary to them – more... e.g regular use of mosquito nets, early treatment seeking, agreeing to have their homes sprayed.
Management is supportive and need to review working conditions.
My colleagues are always ready support and assist each other even outside work. – less
productive
Research Assistant (Former Employee), NairobiSeptember 5, 2014
Pros: good support staff
I gained research ethics and work ethics.It was a very good experience and thought me a lot in the research field.
Productive and Fun work place with hygeinic dining hall
Program Coordinator (Current Employee), Kathmandu, NepalMay 25, 2014
Pros: free lunch, retreat program
Cons: nothing such
My typical day at work is coordinating with seven District Program Officers on program implementation of Women Health Project.
Challenging part of this job is District Program Officers whom I supervise are stationed in the field. The most enjoyable part of the job is i get chance to travel lot and know about different culture and ethnic groups.
Fun working in a teamwork with free coffee, sweets, lunch and transport
Research Officer (Former Employee), Port MoresbyNovember 15, 2013
Pros: you have daily allowances for lunch and mobile credit cards supply
Cons: long hours
Formulate working plans, formulate questionnaires, draft contract documents for assistant field workers, played leadership roles and be an inspiration. Carryout data survey, entry of data, analysis and reporting.

Hardest part of the job is when logistics are not readily available.
The enjoyable part of the job is when you learn that you have interviewed – more... more than 10 people per day and the data is entered and analyzed. – less
Very good organization to work for in area of social marketing
SALES & DISTRIBUTION MANAGER (Former Employee), Kathmandu, NepalOctober 17, 2013
Great organization. There is respect of every individual, culture and diversity. People are given higher responsibilities irrespective of experience and qualifications when they demonstrate a wonderful performance
HR, My Passion
HR Manager (Former Employee), Maseru, LesothoJuly 24, 2013
Pros: i have been given autonomy to exercise my discretion on my job when it comes to decision makings
Cons: strategic decisions sometimes takes too long for decision to be made, because of consultations made by my supervisor, when they supposed to make dicisions right there.
Its frustrating when i arrived at work and my supervisor know a little about Labour Code and when i tried to advice her on the decision to take, all that person do is to deny and making argument which i really feel its senseless. The argument is there because i am only inferior, but all i was saying was all true because i am Employee Relations Specialist – more... by profession.

I have also learned that sometimes you can even go an extra mile to endevour to make employees happy but there will still be a small group which will always see and think negatively, and i have learned to cope with that.

My co-workers viewed me as someone to trust as far as work ethics including confidentiality are concerned, this also goes over to Management. I have also tried by all means to maintain my integrity as far as i am concerned and my job.

The hardest part of my job is when i have to do all means to convince Management about something they view it differently from my perspective, but finding that indeed what i convince them to is legitimate and inline with our local Labour laws.

I enjoy facing up new challenges and advising staff on their personal matters as well as work-related issues. I also like to always think strategically when making decisions and advising across the board.

What i love about my job is meeting new challenges everyday and always trying by all affords to strike the balance between Management and Employees. This relate to challenges coming up everyday from both parties. – less
Sales &Marketing
Interpersonal Communicator (Former Employee), Chennai, TNJuly 9, 2013
*Every working day is a typical day for me.
*I learned a lot on leadership quality.
*Every month they meet all employees.
*Very friendly
* Retail sales is the hardest part but I was the target achiever.
*monitoring the mid media artist
Good envriroment, good people.
Financial Manager (Former Employee), Santo Domingo Dominican RepublicJune 5, 2013
Hard day, but interesting, great people.
Big volume of information. \
This Organization work for prevent HIV with donation from other organización like USAID. Received auditors frecuently, external and internal.
Productive and fun workplace
Associate -Administration & Finance (Current Employee), ChandigarhApril 29, 2013
I enjoy the administration work here where i provide support to my program team in any administrative issues and also procure the item related to program need.
Not a bad place to work
(PSI), MCH Technical Advisor, NIGERIA (Former Employee), Abuja, NigeriaSeptember 24, 2012
Good company, but no job security in International Development, based on grant money - can be laid off at any time.
Sales and Marketing Agent/Coordinator
Coordinator (Former Employee), Basseterre, St.Kitts/NevisSeptember 12, 2012
Pros: various lunches
Cons: travel for country to country
Sitting down at my desk and checking the various mails form around the word in regarding HIV/AIDS policies, heading to various meetings around the capital and interviews. Being a part of a TEAM which stretched throughout the various corners of the caribbean was challenging but fun at the same time which give rise to meaningful contribution when we all – more... met once per quarter.Motivation was key in getting through those difficult times knowing the manager only came once or twice in a year. – less
Data Enty & Maintane Records Of projects, genrate reports need base form software & MS- Access & Exel
Program Assosiate (Former Employee), Jaipur, RajAugust 24, 2012
Providing primary level IT support to the office in matters like backups, maintaining off site back ups, Maintenance of Hardware and Networking, Maintaining and generating need based repots from both offline and online field reporting systems, Analysis of sales reports, Data Entry of Daily Activity Report of Approx. 100+ Field Staff.
• Data entry of – more... sale & non- sale outlets on Outlet Monitoring System (OMS).
• Data entry of sale outlet on SMO (SMO Database management System technical Support Group, Condom Promotion National AIDS Organization).
• Validation data of OMS & SMO (Online Software). – less

About Population Services International

PSI is a non-profit organization that applies commercial tools to a social mission in order to achieve measurable health impact. – Read more