Population Services International Employee Reviews

Great organization but bad management
Awards and Compliance Officer (Former Employee) –  Washington, DCApril 18, 2017
The benefits and work-life balance are great, but the management is very bad. That explains the high turnover rate at PSI. It is only good for starters.
Pros
benefits, work-life balance, mission
Cons
Bad management, no advancement opportunity
Company doesnt respect people of colour
Officer (Former Employee) –  AfricaMarch 27, 2017
Major discrepancy in pay between different races. Little room for growth. Lack of mentorship. Too much red tape hence forced to think in box rather than out of the box.
The management especially in the Regional Support Office is incompetent and unfair in the execution of justice. Some managers make decisions out of emotions rather than the as per the policy guidelines.
Some supervisors treat their staff like children occasionally issuing threats of being fired rather than treating them as professionals.
The appraisals are personalized and targeted at personal differences rather than weighty matters such as performance.
It was a challenging environment to work in as skills are not recognized rather politics play the day. A lot of favoritism and employment based on friendships rather than expertise. This is more so during appraisal and salary increments.
Pros
A lot of exposure due to diverse culture, health care
Cons
promotions are not based on merit. high turn over, too much red tape
Awesome mission statement
Procurement and Logistics Officer (Contractor) (Former Employee) –  Washington, DCJanuary 7, 2017
Non-profit organization supporting development projects in various countries in Africa and Asia. Very rewarding work which I took great pride in our work being perform.
Pros
long lunches
Cons
very long work day, which i didn't mind at all
It's pretty great place to work.
Recruitment Assistant (Former Employee) –  Washington, DCDecember 15, 2016
I enjoyed working here. I'm sad they let me go. Budget and Compliance, man. Budget and compliance.

Management is great. Some senior management was a little difficult at times, but I rarely had to interact with them.
Pros
Great environment
Cons
Can't manage budgets
Good organization
Accountant (Current Employee) –  Washington City, DCOctober 10, 2016
Great organizational mission. However, the accounting department is not very well managed. Lack of controls and structured.
Pros
Good benefits
Cons
fast pace with no structure
Medical Supervisor (Former Employee) –  Santo domingo, Domincan RepublicJuly 22, 2015
My work at PSI was very exciting. Every day had its own challenges. A good learning environment where you can also put in exercise what you have had learned from your professional career. It is characterized for good teamwork among all project managers, who support organizational goals. The most rewarding part was the privilege to help people from all around the country, sharing with them all we got to offer.
productive
Warehouse Operator (Former Employee) –  Washington, DCMay 29, 2015
• Using picking list to load pallets for dispatch.
• Warehouse stock Locating/Picking/ Packing/Dispatch and Receiving
• Organizing and performing monthly and quarterly stock counts.
Pros
Free lunches
Cons
work environment
High pressure work environment. Everyday brings something new on the table.
Internal Auditor / Risk Officer (Current Employee) –  Harare Emerald HillMay 7, 2015
My day start early i would say i am more of a morning person and i come in early, everyday there is always something new and the pressure is high.
My department is one in which there is no standard of a typical day's work there is always something new on the table.
Management is more of a closed group there isn't much to say on this group.
A lot of excel and report writing, the frustrating part of my work is working without adequate information and instructions or plans the most enjoyable is traveling and working with departmental heads and their subordinates.
Pros
Friday early breaks
Cons
No educational assistance
Fantastic
Stores Clerk (Current Employee) –  BlantyreSeptember 3, 2014
i have saved Psi to reach its effective goals and minimize some other costs through my perfomances
Pros
Subsidized Lunchens
Cons
provided
Productive, fast paced, International work place
Awards Management Senior Accountant (Current Employee) –  Washington, DCJune 19, 2014
PSI is a great place to work. Being French myself, I really enjoyed the international work environment at the office. I had the ability to use my French, Spanish and English all in one day of work!

I learned a lot about management of a big international non-profit and the challenges of communication between field and HQ as well as doing accounting with people from all over the world and dealing with currency exchange rates. I also was exposed to grants from different governments and learned what each require for set up, management and close out.
Very good environment to learn and master everything on project management.
New Business Development Coordinator (Former Employee) –  Ivory CoastJanuary 30, 2014
During my tenure at Population Services International (PSI), I worked closely with a range of development agencies of the United Nations including UNICEF, to write project and grant proposals for review by the Country Representative. As a result, I understand the criteria upon which funders decide to support programs and I have learnt how to improve the quality of grant proposals. I am also experienced in monitoring program budgets, skills that would undoubtedly serve me as well as grant writer.
tough work assignments but productive
Senior Manager for supply chain & Distribution (Current Employee) –  Addis AbabaSeptember 19, 2013
Last month there was a tough week that we took unexpected 4 assignments at once from the head quarter and other departments which were very urgent. The main thing I learned from that was as far as you work hard and in a systematic, coordinated and motivated ways, there is no anything that can't be achieved. I used a closed supervision with appropriate leadership by motivating them to accomplish that. The hardest part of the job was that there were many assignments at different locations with short due date with insufficient number of staff. Since I invested in their mind even though it was very hard we could accomplish the tasks in a very exiting ways with in the due date. For that achievement we have received an e-mail of acknowledgement for the success from the head quarter at Washington.
Pros
Free medical service for the family, free PSI University courses, enjoing the work
Cons
No free weekends and time for my family
Minorities beware
Manager (Current Employee) –  washington, dcAugust 10, 2013
Minorities do not get the same paths of advancement as their white counterparts.
PSI is the worst
Contracts (Current Employee) –  Washington, DCMarch 18, 2013
you do not want to work in the DC office. Regional staff and project staff walk on water. Back office staff, accounting, contract, procurement get crapped on daily.. RUN do not walk away from this place... its is really bad. Upper management does not have a clue of what is going on... Human Resources make all kinds of policies and then does not enforce them.
Cons
everything...
Productive highly Intense atmosphere
Finance Director (Former Employee) –  East AfricaJanuary 24, 2013
Management is very weak, no room for advancement. Most only stay a few years and then move on, but a wonderful company in what they do in saving lives all over the world.
Pros
international travel
Cons
Excellent work place with international exposure
IT Manager (Current Employee) –  Washington, DCSeptember 18, 2012
PSI is an excellent company with international exposure which encourages staff to go beyond what we feel is a limitation to ensure that every problem has a solution.