Port Houston Employee Reviews

Very corrupt place
Maintenance Technician (Current Employee) –  TexasDecember 24, 2017
Very corrupt place to work for. long hours, management is racial. hardest part of the job is being tortured. violate federal and state laws. You may have to have a lawyer.
benefits
Cons
racial and discraceful staff
Okay place to work
Telecommunications Operator (Current Employee) –  Houston, TXDecember 21, 2017
I have worked in better places. Has a culture all of its own, not what one would expect for a quasi-governmental entity. If I knew this prior to job offer, I would have seriously considered not taking the position
Hard to get work without seniority
Longshoreman (Current Employee) –  Houston, TXDecember 7, 2017
The only way to acquire work through the port is through the union hall (ILA 24) there are always more workers then there are work and the most senior people get the work first. It's extremely difficult to find full time work if you have not done it for a while.
Pros
Flexible schedule, work when you wan
Cons
Hard to find work
The best organization anyone could ever work for!
COMMUNITY RELATIONS ADMINISTRATOR (Current Employee) –  Houston, TXDecember 5, 2017
Port Houston is a place where one can grow. There are always opportunities for advancement. It's an organization that truly cares about their employees and does there best to make the work environment a desirable place to be.
An excellant place to work to get good experience.
Transportation Specialist (Former Employee) –  Houston, TXNovember 28, 2017
I really enjoyed the position I held at the Port Authority. Most of the workers were polite and courteous. The manager I had was very unprofessional.
Truly government work!
Chief Construction Manager (Former Employee) –  Houston, TXAugust 22, 2017
Luckily I started my engineering career as a consultant and had to always account for my time and what progress was being made for my clients. At the Port of Houston you typically spend most of your time going from meeting to meeting discussing items for many months before someone will finally make a decision. The thought process going into making that decision finally was no more than that of flipping a coin. Very little thought went into making rather expensive decisions. No accountability whatsoever, just cover up and move on!
Pros
Very low pressure. No time constraints
Cons
Terrible pay. No rewards for trying to excel.
Good long term company to work for but no career opportunites in advancement.
Senior Desktop Support Analyst in Houston (Current Employee) –  Houston, TXJuly 14, 2017
Management = 2 out 5
Workplace = 4 out 5
Team Members 2 out of 5
Career Advancement = 1 out of 5
Job Security = 4 out of 5

Good long term company to work for but no career opportunites in advancement. The salaries that the company provides are not competitive to other employers salaries.
Pros
The people are kind, Benefits, not to stressful
Cons
Takes forver to get what you need even when its job related, long commute, no ownership of projects
Great company
Forklift Operator Certified (Former Employee) –  Houston, TXJune 27, 2017
Good hours, learning experience,great company, ability to move up in the company. Training in New fields are also provided. Overtime is also available.
High traffic, Careless wokers with no sense of Safety
LONGSHOREMAN CHECKER (Current Employee) –  Houston, TXJune 5, 2017
cant tell you about a typical day at work, because I'm not getting enough calls to even go to work. I've learned nothing, never met management before,
Pros
1 hour lunch
Cons
only call you to work on holidays, or when seniority calls in
Productive and Growing Industry
Logistics Coordinator/Customer Service (Current Employee) –  Houston, TXOctober 13, 2016
I love being part of something that is moving forward. My job task is very repetitive, yet one of the key tasks of our day-today production. I love executing in what I do, and being able to learn as much as I can. It's is very interesting to get learn how our departments connect in order to produce quality work and satisfaction to our customers.
A typical day at work for me is assisting Drivers with their incoming/outgoing equipment to/from our terminal. I talk to them by the minute. I keep very busy and ensure that the terminal traffic is in control. Our main priority is providing customer service and producing quality production.
Management is always understandable, and wants to see us succeed. I'm very comfortable and happy with our communication.
The most challenging part of my job is practicing and maintaining patience. The day can get extremely hectic, but despite the heavy workload, our priority is to communicate efficiently with our customers.
The most enjoyable part of my job is that i'm not micro-managed. Our goals are set, and we must individually execute them.
GOOD $ Not enough hours or stability
clerk (Former Employee) –  Houston, TXOctober 13, 2016
Needs more work! NOt enough work for new people trying to advance. The work comes and goes and it is not enough to go around. Hopefully it can pick up.
Great stable place to work
Admin Asst II (Former Employee) –  Houston, TXOctober 12, 2016
A typical day at work was processing orders, invoices, and performing inventory. I learned how to balance multiple job functions simultaneously. Job was awesome. Co- workers were like family.
Pros
every other Friday off; job security
Cons
no room for growth and advancement
Great Place
Crane Operator/Rigger (Former Employee) –  Houston, TXAugust 31, 2016
I enjoy every bit of my job. I love Operating the Crane. My co-workers always helped me out when I need them. We all help each other to finish the job. All I want to do is help my company in any way to expand and succeed. The job always put a smile on my face whenever I am called in fro work.
Pros
Good Pay
Cons
Lack of help
We do not Micro manage.
Checker (Current Employee) –  Houston, TXAugust 29, 2016
WE train to ensure everyone knows the job efficiently.The co workers are awesome some days we work long hours, so we have become like a family.
Pros
Great people to work with
Cons
In the element everyday.
Great benifits
flagger/general labor (Former Employee) –  Houston, TXJuly 11, 2016
Arrive to the hall ask your foreman what dock to meet at, follow all instructions and duties that are assigned. I learned to be very cautious because there are always heavy equipment hanging over you. Co-workers work together to get the job done in a timely manner. The hardest part of the job was working 16 hours straight in the heat.The most enjoyable part of the job was meeting new people.
Pros
great benefits
Cons
not consistent work
Unethical Management
Professional (Former Employee) –  Houston, TXJuly 8, 2016
The worst place that I have ever worked, incompetent directors who look the other way when faced with doing the right thing. The saying there is "this is the Port, everyone is crazy except me."

One director has this quote on his door "why hire smart people if you don't listen to them" that sums up the culture at the Port of Houston Authority.

The underlining principle there is "some people are better than others". If you are a certain ethnic group and can talk a good game you can run around doing nothing all day. Why bother to work, just delicate your task to your peers and attend the executive meetings.
Pros
Every other Friday off
Cons
Poor management team, incompetent directors, lack of authenticity, lack of accountability and limited skill set.
Great opportunities except for Dispatchers
Tele-communicator/Safety Officer/Dispatcher (Current Employee) –  ColoradoJuly 5, 2016
There is no growth for dispatchers or other job opportunities. Long sixteen hour days with NO breaks not even a lunch break.
I work
Longshoreman (Current Employee) –  Houston, TXApril 18, 2016
My work day starts at five in the morning. It's a union hall so I have to be there by six in order to go to work, the i go to work at 7. The job is from 7 am to 10 pm. I go inside the ship and stay there for the whole day, hooking up the cargo onto the crane. I get 2 hour lunch break.
Growing Company with a lot of change
Contract/Temp (Former Employee) –  Houston, TXAugust 10, 2015
Very productive and growing field. The Port Of Houston Authority is going through tremendous change and growth at this time. The management team is very professional as were all the co workers that I had contact with. A typical day at work was basic daily procedures, with special projects accordingly. It was a very fast paced environment that I enjoyed very much. I learned a lot about the types of cranes that are needed and used to unload cargo, and used daily on the wharf. The hardest part of the job was leaving, I enjoyed the fast pace and challenges of the job.
Pros
Great Benefits
Cons
Only hiring Contract employees at this time
Poor place to work at.
Billing Specialist (Former Employee) –  Houston, TXMay 4, 2015
The most terrible place I have worked at. It seemed like I was in high school all over again. Not sure how much more I can be negative about this company. Perhaps it was only the accounting department I was in. Perhaps other departments would have been a more comfortable place to work in. I am sorry you had to read this, however, I am not going to lie to you about this corporation

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Port Houston. Our community is ready to answer.

2.9