PORT OF HOUSTON AUTHORITY Employee Reviews

Productive and Growing Industry
Logistics Coordinator/Customer Service (Current Employee) –  Houston, TXOctober 13, 2016
I love being part of something that is moving forward. My job task is very repetitive, yet one of the key tasks of our day-today production. I love executing in what I do, and being able to learn as much as I can. It's is very interesting to get learn how our departments connect in order to produce quality work and satisfaction to our customers.
A typical day at work for me is assisting Drivers with their incoming/outgoing equipment to/from our terminal. I talk to them by the minute. I keep very busy and ensure that the terminal traffic is in control. Our main priority is providing customer service and producing quality production.
Management is always understandable, and wants to see us succeed. I'm very comfortable and happy with our communication.
The most challenging part of my job is practicing and maintaining patience. The day can get extremely hectic, but despite the heavy workload, our priority is to communicate efficiently with our customers.
The most enjoyable part of my job is that i'm not micro-managed. Our goals are set, and we must individually execute them.
Great Place
Crane Operator/Rigger (Former Employee) –  Houston, TXAugust 31, 2016
I enjoy every bit of my job. I love Operating the Crane. My co-workers always helped me out when I need them. We all help each other to finish the job. All I want to do is help my company in any way to expand and succeed. The job always put a smile on my face whenever I am called in fro work.
Pros
Good Pay
Cons
Lack of help
Unethical Management
Professional (Former Employee) –  Houston, TXJuly 8, 2016
The worst place that I have ever worked, incompetent directors who look the other way when faced with doing the right thing. The saying there is "this is the Port, everyone is crazy except me."

One director has this quote on his door "why hire smart people if you don't listen to them" that sums up the culture at the Port of Houston Authority.

The underlining principle there is "some people are better than others". If you are a certain ethnic group and can talk a good game you can run around doing nothing all day. Why bother to work, just delicate your task to your peers and attend the executive meetings.
Pros
Every other Friday off
Cons
Poor management team, incompetent directors, lack of authenticity, lack of accountability and limited skill set.
Great opportunities except for Dispatchers
Tele-communicator/Safety Officer/Dispatcher (Current Employee) –  ColoradoJuly 5, 2016
There is no growth for dispatchers or other job opportunities. Long sixteen hour days with NO breaks not even a lunch break.
Productive and fun workplace
Project Management Internships (Former Employee) –  Houston, TXMarch 25, 2015
Project Management Internships at the Port of Houston Authority. I really like to work at the Port because my boss and co-workers are very nice.
High turnover/ Unethical management
Professional (Former Employee) –  Houston, TXOctober 10, 2014
Depending on the department you work in, this job may be okay. The work/life balance is good because it is a regular 40 hour week. You get to work 9-80; every other Friday off is nice. For the most part your co-workers are nice and supportive. However, management is completely unethical and the HR department is even worse. Poor managers are rewarded and protected, while employees are abused, harassed, and dehumanized. For a government agency, the turnover rate should not be so high. In one department alone, 7 people left is less than two years, with no ramifications for the manager. Morale is very low since upper management will not step in and resolve the issues.
Pros
Every other Friday off.
Cons
Limited health insurance, poor management, limited advancement
great poeple to work with
Fire Fighter (Former Employee) –  Houston, TXSeptember 11, 2014
was not impressed with upper management, they are willing to fire employees to cover up mistakes by the HR department.
Pros
good insuance
Cons
everything else
Productive company to work for I learned a lot through those years
Logistic Associate II Operator (Former Employee) –  TXAugust 4, 2014
A typical work day would be signing into the computer. Greeting my drivers and obtaining the information needed to get them processed . I learned what a container was, weights and the shipping process. Through the 16 years of working for the Port of Houston I worked with a great bunch of people. Always willing to help and assist and I learned how to become a team player. The hardest part of the job was learning the overall process of shipping industry. From the time the container comes in on the ship. The overall process is very detailed . Much information is needed to get the job of processing imports and exports. The most enjoyable part of the job was just doing the job itself. Interacting with the drivers on a daily basis. Providing good customer service.
Pros
We were rewarded for working through luch sometimes
Cons
Sometimes more work than days of the week
If a current Police Officer, department is unlike any other, city, county or state department out there.
Police Officer (Former Employee) –  Turning Basin, Barbours Cut, BayportJuly 19, 2014
A department with a lot of potential to become a real police department, but needs much more improvement. Daily tasks DON'T include traffic stops (NO cameras in vehicles), or writing tickets (NO ticket books). But if you like to write a report just for checking an LP or ID, or if you want to dock ships, climb aboard ships to administer Declaration of Security paperwork, transport Vessel Pilots to/from ships, or check the docks to make sure people have TWIC cards, then this is the place for you.
Pros
What you make of it
Cons
Poor Leadership
Challenging Work / No Promotion
Senior Manager (Current Employee) –  Houston, TXApril 15, 2014
The work is great and very challenging however, it is very hard to move up. Opportunities are very rare for promotion considerations.
Good benefits and flex work schedule
GIS Specialist (Former Employee) –  Houston, TXSeptember 9, 2013
I worked there for 24 years. In my tenure I worked on many different types of projects using AutoCAD Map and C3D and GIS.
Great people and fun place to work
OPERATIONS INTERN (Former Employee) –  Houston, TXJuly 23, 2013
I only worked there as an intern but I enjoyed everyone there and learned a great deal.
Productive place to work
Administrative Coordinator I (Current Employee) –  Houston, TXJuly 8, 2013
I have worked with a Great manager who has taught me so much and very receptive of my ideas and suggestions.

A typical day at work includes checking e-mails from the project managers and engineers. Also preparing competitive sealed proposals and bids to be advertised on the Vendor Information System (VIS). Setting up meetings, preparing and executing purchase orders on the JDE program and purchasing any product needed from the VIS system.
Executive Assistant
Executive Assistant (Former Employee) –  Houston, TXOctober 25, 2012
• Performed a wide variety of executive secretarial and administrative duties as required by daily operations for the Facilities Director.
• Composed The Port of Houston Facilities Update Report for weekly publication in The Houston Chronicle.
• Reviewed and summarized miscellaneous reports and documents.
• Received and distributed incoming mail; reviewed and evaluated mail to identify those items requiring priority attention.
• Received and screened communications to the Facilities Director including telephone calls and
e-mail messages, and provide assistance using independent judgment to determine those requiring priority attention; prioritize, channel, and facilitate communication from department heads, department coordinators and throughout the office.
• Independently responded to letters and general correspondence of a routine nature;
• Made travel arrangements; maintained appointment schedule and calendar for Director; arranged meetings and conferences.
Port of Houston
Graduate Intern (Former Employee) –  Houston, TXMarch 22, 2012
The Port of Houston is a dynamic working environment which encourages advanced education and training. I was a graduate intern and was asked to stay beyond the six month time frame to continue my learning.
Pros
encourages advance education
Cons
location

Ask a question about working or interviewing at PORT OF HOUSTON AUTHORITY. Our community is ready to answer.

2.9